AVS Forum banner

2009 Mitsubishi Owners Thread (C9/737/837)

Tags
mitsubishi
2M views 12K replies 1K participants last post by  scottcars36 
#1 ·
I picked up a WD-65737 on Saturday and wanted to provide a place for owners to post thoughts and impressions as well as a chance for potential owners to ask questions.

Here is spec sheet:
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/pdf/WD82737_specsheet.pdf

and FAQ (frequently asked questions):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17396070

Initial items in the spec sheet that appear to be significant that I have noticed are

"Improved Video Noise Reduction" - The 65737 seems to have a better picture with SD content (Cox Cable) vs. the 65835 I have watched (Direct TV SD). The quick feedback is that from ~10-12' the SD content is entirely watchable and seems to be noticeably improved from previous generation.

Also will try to upload a snapshot of the

"New Advanced Video Calibration Menu" - There appears to be options for individual color settings outside of the service menu.

See less See more
#52 ·
Looking at Newmason's screenies upstream, that looks like mine did in "Brilliant" mode out-of-the-box. "Bright" and "Natural" are much less chroma-saturated. Brilliant looks really nice in some instances, but if there is much red on the screen it starts to look cartoonish.

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested /forum/post/16515972

I called up Frye's this morning the guy in the tv department told me that they just received in the new dlp models a few days and have them on display. i asked him if he'd see any bleeding into the bars for letterbox stuff and he said that he saw it on last years models but not the ones in the store.

My Wd-60737 does not have the white bleeding issue at all. The black bars are perfect watching 480i/p or letterbox.

DoP

#54 ·
Went to Fry's today and they had the 73737 for a price lower than I have seen online. I even asked the salesman if it was a mistake and he was confused for a minute. Went to the computer and checked...no mistake The picture was significantly better than the 73735 right next to it, in color realism, clarity, and low intensity detail. Very impressive. I will probably be picking it up tomorrow.

So is it worth it to get a 3 or 5 year service warranty? I think they wanted $500for 5 years.

#55 ·
so Frye's warranty is still 500 after all these years. that was the same price i paid for my WD-52725 tv i got from them. I only used it once and that was the bulb replacement last year. So i lost, what, 300 dollars on it? Not worth it entirely in my opinion. i'll get the extended warranty from Mitsubishi if it is less. i forgot to call them again on that while at work Friday.

I looked the 73" and 65" 737 series while at Frye's and saw no bleeding in the letterbox bars which made me happy. The only thing i didn't care for was the haze/fuzzy screen coating they have which is the same as what Samsung dlp's have on their screens. when you see white you see the coating. look at an lcd or plasma and you don't see it. even my 52" looks clear without the haze coating effect. Not sure if that makes sense or not. Other than that and the lifelike pic quality i see in lcd's that is missing in the mitsu's, i like the tv's. the price is right. my friend said go for the 73" when i told him about it. THe salesguy said the diamond models are better in PQ and has the 120 refresh rate. I'm sure the 737's have 120 also. not sure though. i picked up a 63" stand at BB so i'd be ready for a 73" monster. Oh and the remotes are crap. but that isn't anything new. dinky plastic thing.

Now to sell my current tv and a few oddball things to help pay for the new one. it'll just barely fit in my living room between my two tower speakers. The price was the same as tigerdirect even though the price wasn't out next to the tv the guy checked for me.

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EST2423 /forum/post/16517156

Went to Fry's today and they had the 73737 for a price lower than I have seen online. I even asked the salesman if it was a mistake and he was confused for a minute. Went to the computer and checked...no mistake The picture was significantly better than the 73735 right next to it, in color realism, clarity, and low intensity detail. Very impressive. I will probably be picking it up tomorrow.

So is it worth it to get a 3 or 5 year service warranty? I think they wanted $500for 5 years.

if your buying a mits dlp, i would suggest an ext warranty for sure.

But you can get a Mack 3 year add on for $252 for a set under $2100. if you got it under $1700 then the mack warranty is only $232. You would have the Mits 1 year warranty then the Mack 3 yr ext warranty kicks in and gives you 4 years total and also covers 2 lamps for 3 years.

#57 ·
 http://www.mack-warranty.com/?gclid=...FRBbagodW3Np2Q

is this the place you're talking about? never heard of it before. is it legit and i can actually take it to a licensed mitsubishi repair place then? i have one 20 minutes from last time i called mistubishi about some cleaning questions. the website says the bulb replacement is separate but you get a 35 dollars discount if you combine.185 plus the 119 then get the discount. i just don't want the 500 warranty thing from frye's since it doesn't cover much of anything. i've checked that out already.

Should i get the diamond series or keep the extra 400 and get the 737 version?

#58 ·
i just noticed the mack cam warranty thread. should i pay heed to that? the site i found online says this for the address

TedUnlimited LLC

Corporate Offices

2461 Chestnut Drive

Westlake OH 44145

Got me concerned if this was a good place or not.

#59 ·
Pulled the trigger on the WD-73737 at Fry's. Got it for $1899 + California extortion sales tax of 8.75%. Did not get the warranty. For 3 years, they wanted $400 and does NOT include bulb replacement. For 5 years, it is $500, again, no bulb replacement. Did not seem worth it.

#60 ·
Just got a 65737 and am loving it. Blu-ray movies look incredible on this thing. Got it at Best Buy for $1499, and they let me use a 10% off coupon. They also had 0% financing for 36 months. One of these days I'll get around to calibrating it, but have it on Natural right now.

#61 ·
My 60737 colors seem to shake on certain hd tv shows. Anyone else having these issues yet? I have not really messed with any of the color settings other than the brightness and contrast. Other than some jumping colors blue-ray and ps3 games look beautiful although I can't say I will ever watch a standard def. Channel again ........ Post your settings when you all start to adjust them

#62 ·
So, various people seem to be insistent on what Smooth120hz *isn't*. Can anyone tell me what it *is*, and whether it makes an improvement (and how it does it and how much) compared to Mits DLP that don't have it? They claim anti-judder improvements of some form from it.

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormInfested /forum/post/16519044

..is this the place you're talking about? never heard of it before. is it legit and i can actually take it to a licensed mitsubishi repair place then? i have one 20 minutes from last time i called mistubishi about some cleaning questions. the website says the bulb replacement is separate but you get a 35 dollars discount if you combine.185 plus the 119 then get the discount. i just don't want the 500 warranty thing from frye's since it doesn't cover much of anything. i've checked that out already.....

the mack ext warranty is from tapeworkstexas. they have sold alot of them to avsers over the years. also check with Roman O at buybestplamsa.com or Chris at Cleveland plasma.
http://tapeworkstexas.com/mack_warranty_combo.html

#64 ·
Strange that Frye's doesn't include bulb replacement anymore. My warranty i have with them for my 52 dlp included it. I'll call mitsubishi and see what their ext warranty costs. I'm trying to decide on which size right now. Hope the one i pick doesn't have any issues. what i saw in the store looked nice though i coudn't see the bars much on the feed they're playing. i think i'll force them to hook up a blu ray player to it
I'll miss the crystal clear screen that mine has right now. the glimmer/sparkly screen coating will take a bit of getting used to. i watched my friend's sammy dlp 62 last night and noticed his has the light bleed issue. the bars go bright a bit when the scene has alot of light in it. i stuck my tv on craigslist. we'll see what happens.

Hope you guys are happy with the dlps. can't beat the price.

#65 ·
I have had my tv now for a week(65737), the bleeding on mine is only on the top and in very bright scenes you see a reflection, but it is not bad. Before the Mitu, I was using my 50 inch vizio plasma from my bedroom after my jvc broke and I think the mitu has a better picture quality. I noticed a really big difference going from component to dvi/hdmi on my cable hd box, the dvi to hdmi looks much better and cleans up the picture. Also I connected a belkin pure a/v surge protector with fliters and it made a difference also. On some hd cable shows like local news in full HD to people look like they pop out of the screen. Honestly I never expected the picture to be so good, was trying to go big and save a little money. Right now I am thinking it doesn't even need a pro calibration. Amazing how light the tv is, I may need to put a few pieces of tape under it so if I bump the tv it doesn't move on the stand it is on. My neighbor has a samsung 6 series 62 inch plasma and was over $4k, he was also surprised how good this tv looked and said if they looked this good in the store he would have bought one, but when he seen them side by side the mitu looked crappy. Other than the remote, this tv is great and for the money(average price is 999 for 60, 1499 for 65 and 1999 for 73) you can't beat it. I used the avia dvd to get some things right, but I had already set it up by eye and looked pretty close already. Thinking about a warranty tech extended warranty now(includes I bulb replacement), wasn't going to pay around 500 at BB for one. BTW new bulbs from Mitubishi site are $99 now.

I also had another question for previous owners of these type sets, I have my center channel speaker under the tv on the stand, can the speaker on rumbling scenes cause any picture issues with the dlp? I haven't seen any issues yet, just wondering from the vibration.

#67 ·
Apparently I have the wrong light in here to get a decent picture of that black and white menu right now.

Anyway, Advanced Picture Settings (WD-60737):

(left column)

Picture Mode: --

H position:31

V Position:31

Deepfield Imager: Off

Super Resolution: Off

Sharpedge: Off

Video Noise: Off

Brightness: 31

Contrast: 50

Color: 31

Tint: 31

Sharpness: 31

Gamma : 2.4

Red High: 1023

(right column)

Green High: 1023

Blue High: 1023

Red Low: 0

Green Low: 0

Blue Low: 0

Blue Only: Off

Red Adjust: 15, 0, 0

Green Adjust: 0, 15, 0

Blue Adjust: 0, 0, 15

Magenta Adjust: 15, 0, 15

Cyan Adjust: 0, 15, 15

Yellow Adjust: 15, 15, 0

RESET Picture Mode

That's what mine says (aside from the left/right column indicators, which I included to help you visualize the screen), tho I don't know that those settings are actually in effect or what, since the regular Picture menu shows some different settings for some of these same items.

#68 ·
It's nice to see they FINALLY put these settings in the user menu. My guess is that between the user and service menu now, you should be able to get these pretty darn close to spec. They have always done a good job with gamma and grayscale, but have lacked the ability to do many adjustments needed to get the primary and secondaries correct. Hopefully, I'll get a stab at one of the new models soon. :)

#69 ·
Deepfield Imager: Off

Super Resolution: Off

Sharpedge: Off

Video Noise: Off

of these settings, which of these should be turned on? oh and thanks for that informational post on the settings. it is nice to see a more detailed menu system in the tv's.

#71 ·
some info on the extended warranty thru Mistubishi. I called them this morning and they said the pricing for the new models isn't out yet. it covers a bulb and all the stuff they cover during the first year coverage. I imagine it isn't too much for how much it costs.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwiler /forum/post/16528262

Amazing how light the tv is, I may need to put a few pieces of tape under it so if I bump the tv it doesn't move on the stand it is on.

No kidding! I was just looking at the owners manual for our WD-62725, the first-gen Mits DLP (still in service with us in another room). It weighs 165lbs! Our new WD-60737 weighs 65lbs! You only need two people to carry it because of the size, not the weight!

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged /forum/post/16529725

Indeed. Looking at the values, one might not be tempted to enter the SM at all.

Only for the keystone correction.

For my WD-73737

After menu 2-4-5-7, in the service menu I hit 0 to get to the keystone correction.

The option wasn't listed like it was on the 73736 I had, so I hit manual geometry set..or something to the sort, and then I hit enter.

When I exited the Service menu, the television was able to pass the 1:1 pixel test for 1920X1080p...it was failing it before hand, just as the WD-73736 had before turning off keystone correction.

Does anyone know if this is the proper way to set this??? I do notice a slight geometry issue in the top left corner now...only noticable in letterbox that the line curves slightly up towards to far left top.

I think the settings I have now look superb. Aside from the slight geometry thing and the bleeding into the black bars...I think the picture is better than the Samsung HL67A750 and the Mitsubishi WD-73736 I had this month in the same room.

#74 ·
I currently have a 2.5 year old Sammy HLS-6188 that I love. I use it 40% for Blu-Ray/HD-DVD movies, 40% for XBox 360/PS3 games, and 20% for HDTV via FIOS. SD PQ isn't a concern. I sit 8-10' away directly in front of TV in a room that can be made completely dark at anytime during the day. I'm leaning towards the Mitsubishi 73"/82" (once available), but first I have a question.

For those who own/purchasing DLPs, I'd like a bit of clarification on something I've been led to believe by HDTV reviewers. Is it a given that you sacrifice picture quality in favor of screen size when comparing DLPs to plasmas? I initially assumed that the price difference had to do with plasmas being "sexy" (thinner, wall mountable, and "plasma" just sounds cool) rather than having superior PQ.

Thx, 61

#75 ·
Which 73" plasma do you want us to compare it against?

Seriously, if PQ is your be-all and end-all, then plasma is probably the way to go. Some of us really like BIG screens and excellent price/performance --and these new Mits offer both. If price is no object, you're in the wrong place.

But really the best thing to do is just go to a store and look for yourself and see how much the difference feels like to you, remembering that size is an element of PQ as well. . .

#76 ·
is that 2-4-5-7 the access code to the service menu after you press the menu button? and is the bars tolerable on the 73"?