2009 Mitsubishi Owners Thread (C9/737/837) - Page 331 - AVS Forum
First ... 329  330  331 332  333  ... Last
Rear Projection Units > 2009 Mitsubishi Owners Thread (C9/737/837)
jsrdlr's Avatar jsrdlr 11:02 AM 01-23-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cid67 View Post

I seriously doubt its dust in between the screens. I have cleaned my wd-65837 and a few others on a regular basis and have seen what you describe. What i think you are seeing is on the lens itself. You could have a smudge on the lens that is small and almost impossible to see on the lens itself but it would show up as a gray smudge on a bright screen. The best rout to take is to call your service tech back.

Because the mirror is inverted, they almost never need cleaning as dust doesn't collect on it like it does on the lens. You had better pray its not the screen because the screen is only covered by a 30 day warranty and is expensive to replace. To clean the lens you need to remove the font of your set. I have included a attachment file that explains how to do this. Be sure to have someone to help you so you don't drop the face when you release the last screw. Use a clean microfiber cloth and very carefully clean the lens. !!!warning!!! the lens is plastic and scratches easy. Don't use any chemicals on the lens. If you absolutely must use something I only recommend using monster brand screen cleaning solution. Just don't ever spray anything on the lens directly.

The good thing about cleaning the lens by removing the face vs pulling the light engine is that there is less chance of messing something up and you can also run the TV with the screen off and you can hold the screen up and see if you have got the smudge off without having to pull the whole thing apart again.

I guess a quick way for him to determine the source of the smudge is to remove the screen and move it around. If the smudge doesn't move with the screen he should know it's the lens.

tapointer's Avatar tapointer 02:27 PM 01-24-2011
Thanks for all the replies. I have seen the smudge before that you're talking about but i don't think that is the problem i'm having. I have actually noticed this same issue on brand new dlps when i've gone into a best buy or hhgregg or similar store. It reminds me of several dead pixels on the screen but it's actually dust. You are correct about service techs being fairly clueless on dlps. Most in this area don't want to touch them or their only answer is "call mitsubishi". I call them and they act like i'm imagining the problem, even though it's been verified by their service techs.
4mula1's Avatar 4mula1 02:55 PM 01-24-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapointer View Post

Thanks for all the replies. I have seen the smudge before that you're talking about but i don't think that is the problem i'm having. I have actually noticed this same issue on brand new dlps when i've gone into a best buy or hhgregg or similar store. It reminds me of several dead pixels on the screen but it's actually dust. You are correct about service techs being fairly clueless on dlps. Most in this area don't want to touch them or their only answer is "call mitsubishi". I call them and they act like i'm imagining the problem, even though it's been verified by their service techs.

Yep, that is particles trapped between the 2 screens. Mitsubishi used to seal the 2 screens, but now they don't. So, stuff gets in between them. A few years ago, the DLP I had, had this issue. You can remove the front of the set, and separate the 2 screens and remove the particles, but it is very tricky. Static electricity attracts all sorts of fibers and dust, and you might end up with a worse situation if you take them out. Sometimes lightly tapping on the screen enables whatever it is that is stuck to fall to the bottom and out of sight. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.
tapointer's Avatar tapointer 05:58 PM 01-24-2011
Yes it is dust and dirt particles. I guess i don't understand why the screen has to be in two pieces. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Samsung made a one piece screen for their dlps a year or so before they stopped making dlps altogether. The funny thing is, when you call Mits about this issue and explain it to them, they act like they've never heard of it before. Their so called factory authorized service centers will just tell you to "live with the problem".
colour's Avatar colour 06:27 PM 01-24-2011
Quote:

Yes it is dust and dirt particles. I guess i don't understand why the screen has to be in two pieces. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Samsung made a one piece screen for their dlps a year or so before they stopped making dlps altogether. The funny thing is, when you call Mits about this issue and explain it to them, they act like they've never heard of it before. Their so called factory authorized service centers will just tell you to "live with the problem".

Even if you did understand it wouldn't fix the problem. You only have 2 options, keep pushing Mits to fix it or replace it, attempt to fix it yourself. Didn't you have this same issue and now it's in the set they replaced it with?
tapointer's Avatar tapointer 08:51 PM 01-24-2011
Yes I originally had a WD-73735 with this problem right out of the box and they replaced it with WD-73837 that also had the same problem right out of the box, even the delivery guys noticed it when we turned on the tv. Actually, the only reason i got a DLP in the first place was because my brother recommended it, i was originally gonna get a plasma. He has a WD-65733 that he got from Best Buy and it's perfect, not a spot of dust or dirt anywhere so i assumed my tv would be the same. Now when he comes over and sees my tv, he's surprised. I told him to make sure he never has to replace the screens or this is what will happen. If I could do it all over again, knowing what i know now, i would probably go with a smaller lcd or plasma and avoid these headaches. Mits customer service is really a pain to deal with.
4mula1's Avatar 4mula1 08:04 AM 01-25-2011
Quote:

If it is really bad, you could try and clean it yourself. Make sure you have 2-3 people helping, never let the screens get anywhere near the floor (Static electricity will draw carpet fibers and dust onto the screens), and wipe the insides with a microfiber cloth. Worse case scenario is you still have dust, but hopefully, you can clear it away. Also, make sure to put the screens in exactly as they came out, as they are directional, and putting them in backwards or reversed will give you a distorted picture.
rsb148's Avatar rsb148 08:23 AM 01-25-2011
I had yesterday off and my plan was to go from firmware 11.02 to 11.03.

Downloaded and extracted the update successfully to a freshly reformatted flash drive. Downloaded the instructions and printed them out. 3 tries to update --and the firmware on TV after pressing menu still always reads 11.0.

So I reformatted my USB mass storage device-again. Downloaded and extracted the update-again. Every single file that is supposed to be on the flash drive is there. Followed the instructions again and again and again. Still no joy. TV still at 11.02.
There is a Mitsubishi customer support phone # on the instructions. I called and after a considerable wait finally got a tech on the line. He gave me a completely different set of (much less complicated) instructions. He told me to:
1. Turn on TV
2. Insert flash, turn off TV
3. WAIT 30 MINUTES.
4. Turn on TV
Update complete.

He also advised me that Mitsubishi does not recommend updating the firmware unless the customer is experiencing problems with their set.

Well, I'm not having any problems to speak of. The blue welcome screen seems to stay on longer than when I first got my set. Besides that, now I've got hours invested into this update already, and was bound and determined to get it done-just because!
So I tried the new set of instructions . . . 3 times! And I'm still at 11.02 firmware!!
Defeated, I sort of gave up for the day. Then I did a search of this thread and found in post #3665 by MarkEHanson an astounding 3rd (different) set of instructions for updating the firmware on these TV's with a flash drive.

I'm usually pretty anal about keeping all my updatable devices up to date. For example, I sent my Denon receiver back to Denon for a firmware update that proved very worthwhile. My computer always has the latest updates, etc. etc. That said, after sleeping on it, I'm kind of hesitant to try this new (to me) 3rd set of update instructions on my set. Part of me really wants to "win" and get my set updated. Another part of me warns of a big "LOSS"
What do you all think the odds are of "bricking" my set if I use the 3rd set of instructions with the flash drive containing this update?

Why would there be 3 different sets of instructions for doing a firmware update???

Thanks for letting me vent my frustration
colour's Avatar colour 08:43 AM 01-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsb148 View Post

I had yesterday off and my plan was to go from firmware 11.02 to 11.03.

Downloaded and extracted the update successfully to a freshly reformatted flash drive. Downloaded the instructions and printed them out. 3 tries to update --and the firmware on TV after pressing menu still always reads 11.0.

So I reformatted my “USB mass storage device”-again. Downloaded and extracted the update-again. Every single file that is supposed to be on the flash drive is there. Followed the instructions again and again and again. Still no joy. TV still at 11.02.
There is a Mitsubishi customer support phone # on the instructions. I called and after a considerable wait finally got a tech on the line. He gave me a completely different set of (much less complicated) instructions. He told me to:
1. Turn on TV
2. Insert flash, turn off TV
3. WAIT 30 MINUTES.
4. Turn on TV
Update complete.

He also advised me that “Mitsubishi does not recommend updating the firmware unless the customer is experiencing problems with their set.”

Well, I’m not having any problems to speak of. The blue welcome screen seems to stay on longer than when I first got my set. Besides that, now I’ve got hours invested into this update already, and was bound and determined to get it done-just because!
So I tried the new set of instructions . . . 3 times! And I’m still at 11.02 firmware!!
Defeated, I sort of gave up for the day. Then I did a search of this thread and found in post #3665 by MarkEHanson an astounding 3rd (different) set of instructions for updating the firmware on these TV’s with a flash drive.

I’m usually pretty anal about keeping all my updatable devices up to date. For example, I sent my Denon receiver back to Denon for a firmware update that proved very worthwhile. My computer always has the latest updates, etc. etc. That said, after sleeping on it, I’m kind of hesitant to try this new (to me) 3rd set of update instructions on my set. Part of me really wants to "win" and get my set updated. Another part of me warns of a big "LOSS"
What do you all think the odds are of "bricking" my set if I use the 3rd set of instructions with the flash drive containing this update?

Why would there be 3 different sets of instructions for doing a firmware update???

Thanks for letting me vent my frustration

Check the files on the usb, make sure there isn't an unopened file/folder still there. If there is extract that file onto the usb.

I followed the instructions as given on the website, they're not confusing. I would advise not to use those instructions you listed.
rsb148's Avatar rsb148 08:58 AM 01-25-2011
Thanks! Unzipped file onto laptop and compared. Checked again and every single KB seems to be there on the usb. The update is only one zip file if I'm not mistaken?

I agree, the instructions are not confusing. They just don't seem to work for me.
colour's Avatar colour 09:42 AM 01-25-2011
Quote:

Thanks! Unzipped file onto laptop and compared. Checked again and every single KB seems to be there on the usb. The update is only one zip file if I'm not mistaken?

I agree, the instructions are not confusing. They just don't seem to work for me.

When I extracted mine, I still had a folder called 'MITS' that wasn't extracted. I extracted that folder and it worked. Without that folder extracted it didn't do anything.
rsb148's Avatar rsb148 10:56 AM 01-25-2011
I didn't have a folder named 'Mits' before, so I cleared all files off my computer relating to this download (including temp files) and redownloaded V41_11_03 zip.

Compressed size is 19.2MB 20,219,753 bytes (size on disk 20,221951 bytes)
Unpacked size 41.2MB 43,263,84 bytes (size on disk 43,274,240 bytes)
7 files 0 folders
I have every file that's listed in my instructions.

No evidence of a Mits file either in my latest download or my instructions. So while this very well could be my problem, I'm really flummoxed now.
Thanks again for trying to help.
z3ds's Avatar z3ds 12:57 PM 01-25-2011
Hey guys,
I have a wd-65c9 still with the 11.02
I have a PC connected to HDMI 1 via DVI to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable. I connected my sound card to the DVI/PC audio input via 3.5mm to RCA. There is no sound. I tried resetting, placing HDMI cable to all 3 input, deleting input names and unplugging. I have verified that sound is coming out of my PC by connecting it to a receiver. Why isn't still not working?
khboli's Avatar khboli 01:08 PM 01-25-2011
Quote:

I didn't have a folder named 'Mits' before, so I cleared all files off my computer relating to this download (including temp files) and redownloaded V41_11_03 zip.

Compressed size is 19.2MB 20,219,753 bytes (size on disk 20,221951 bytes)
Unpacked size 41.2MB 43,263,84 bytes (size on disk 43,274,240 bytes)
7 files 0 folders
I have every file that's listed in my instructions.

No evidence of a Mits file either in my latest download or my instructions. So while this very well could be my problem, I'm really flummoxed now.
Thanks again for trying to help.

rsb148,

I just updated my 82837 to 11.03 using the instructions from the website. Worked fine. The mits file is inside the "TVApps.tar" compressed file. The install routine "installTVApp.sh" decompresses the TVApps.tar file as part of the upgrade. Mine went a lot quicker than I had anticipated. The instructions were pretty insistant on leaving power on, removing USB, unplugging set (with power still on), waiting a minimum of 1 minute and plugging back in. Turn the set on, hit menu, 11.03 in lower right corner of menu overlay. Wish I knew what I just upgraded though.
rsb148's Avatar rsb148 01:59 PM 01-25-2011
Thanks to you too khboli!
Just tried it again twice. Still nothing. I am following the instructions to the letter. Maybe the usb port on my set is faulty or loose or something.

C. Installing the Software Update
1. Disconnect the TV power cord from the wall socket.
2. Insert the USB Mass Storage device into the USB slot labeled Service Only located on the side of the
TV, as shown in Figure 1.3. Plug the TV power cord into the wall socket.
4. Press the POWER button. The status LED on the front of the TV will start to blink green. You may notice
that the TV is displaying a blue screen with the Mitsubishi logo during the update procedure. This is normal.
But not normal for me. At this point my set goes right to the last channel watched-led quit blinking, blue screen gone
IMPORTANT NOTE: If after approximately 5 minutes, the green LED continues to blink and the
TV never comes on, unplug the power cord from the wall socket, wait approximately 15 seconds, then return
to step C.3.
5. When the update has finished installing, the status LED will stop blinking and will remain green, the TV
will automatically come on (to whatever channel or input was last being watched), and after a few moments,
a text message (see Figure 2) will appear on the screen stating that the software update is complete.
No message for me even after 15 minutes
Do NOT turn the TV Off. (Very Important!)
6. While the TV is still on, remove the USB Mass Storage device from the TV, then disconnect the TV power
cord from the wall socket. Wait at least 1 minute before plugging the TV back in to the wall socket. The
TV is now ready for normal use.
rsb148's Avatar rsb148 02:39 PM 01-25-2011
Tried a different "usb mass storage device" and it worked like a champ.
Pretty sure my settings are intact too.
khboli's Avatar khboli 03:01 PM 01-25-2011
Great! I'm glad it finally worked. I know how frustrating that can be! My next thought was to make sure the USB device was formated as FAT32, but that's a mute point now. The best I can tell (with a quick once over) my settings remained also.
MarkEHansen's Avatar MarkEHansen 05:25 PM 01-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

Check the files on the usb, make sure there isn't an unopened file/folder still there. If there is extract that file onto the usb.

I followed the instructions as given on the website, they're not confusing. I would advise not to use those instructions you listed.

If you're referring to the instructions I posted, those came directly from Mitsubishi. They were on a printed page that came with the flash drive (when I got my firmware update, they mailed me a flash drive).

Also, my TV is a 2009 WD-65737.
cid67's Avatar cid67 08:15 AM 01-26-2011
Does anyone think the update could work with a external usb 2.0 hard drive instead of a thumb drive. I have a western digital passport and would like to use it instead of going out and buying something new. Any experiences with this approach yet?
colour's Avatar colour 09:10 AM 01-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post

If you're referring to the instructions I posted, those came directly from Mitsubishi. They were on a printed page that came with the flash drive (when I got my firmware update, they mailed me a flash drive).

Also, my TV is a 2009 WD-65737.

No, I was referring to the instructions a Mits rep gave him.

Ya mine's a 73737 so the files may be different but the instructions should be the same.
kchill's Avatar kchill 09:37 PM 01-26-2011
Quote:
I think we are starting to get diverted here. Lets just reiterate a little bit.

It's a good idea to always take flashing your bios seriously because if its not done correctly you do run a very real risk of breaking your TV. That being said, as long as you take proper steps to make sure that you flash your hardware correctly including not downloading your flash software from a 3rd party torrent, there is really very little risk of something going wrong. This is especially true considering Mitsubishi has made these updates available to ALL owners of the sets in question and not just a select few.

There could very well be some great improvements that could possibly come about as a result of a firmware update even if it seems like nothing has changed for the average Joe. Things such as perhaps a fix for the color decoder to tame blue luminance or even a saturation control in the service menu, just to think of a few potential fixes. I remain hopeful that some of these things may be possible however unlikely it may be that they will become reality.

an example to reinforce my case is the Sony PS3. Sony has a new mandatory flash for the PS3 almost every month it seems and nobody is saying don't flash that.

I think of it like this, there is always a small chance something can go wrong during a flash. There is also a small chance you could die in a car accident. Is that a reason to never Drive? I rest my case.
I would not my friend....check ps3hacks.com its a host of reasons not to.
traydogg6969's Avatar traydogg6969 01:00 AM 01-27-2011
i just picked up the 837 model for a steal.well i had a 62530 before and was able to have my surround sound hooked up and have surround sound on and the tv speakers also.now when i do it to my new 837 model why is it that when i have my reciever hooked up why is it that i can only produce sound from one or another?like if the tv speakers are on cant have sound through surround but if i have it switched to av the tv speakers dont work am i missing something?
Hipnotiq's Avatar Hipnotiq 09:26 AM 01-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchill View Post

I would not my friend....check ps3hacks.com its a host of reasons not to.

it is completely safe to upgrade your TV.
Mits put out a service tip that before replacing any main pwb that the software must be upgraded. they mentioned a high rate of success with the software.
MikeMcM1956's Avatar MikeMcM1956 10:54 AM 01-27-2011
Quote:

Does anyone think the update could work with a external usb 2.0 hard drive instead of a thumb drive. I have a western digital passport and would like to use it instead of going out and buying something new. Any experiences with this approach yet?

I would think not, and I wouldn't want to take a chance bricking my set finding out. USB sticks are dirt cheap, WalMart has a PNY 4GB in-store for under $10. When you're done upgrading your set, you'll certainly find it handy to keep 4GB rattling around in your pocket for daily use.
colour's Avatar colour 01:40 PM 01-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by traydogg6969 View Post

i just picked up the 837 model for a steal.well i had a 62530 before and was able to have my surround sound hooked up and have surround sound on and the tv speakers also.now when i do it to my new 837 model why is it that when i have my reciever hooked up why is it that i can only produce sound from one or another?like if the tv speakers are on cant have sound through surround but if i have it switched to av the tv speakers dont work am i missing something?

Why would you want both?
traydogg6969's Avatar traydogg6969 02:31 PM 01-27-2011
Quote:

Why would you want both?

i liked it like that with my other mitsu dunno why i want it just figured it was nice
pacofortacos's Avatar pacofortacos 03:32 PM 01-27-2011
I've done that before, sometimes the tv speakers enhance the sound that the center channel might miss.
colour's Avatar colour 04:00 PM 01-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacofortacos View Post

I've done that before, sometimes the tv speakers enhance the sound that the center channel might miss.

Unless you have a less than desirable center speaker or AVR there shouldn't be a need or desire for sound from the TV. In a home theater sound syatem the center speaker is the most important.

I don't think you can have both unless your source can deliver it simultaneously through different outputs.
traydogg6969's Avatar traydogg6969 05:40 PM 01-27-2011
Quote:

Unless you have a less than desirable center speaker or AVR there shouldn't be a need or desire for sound from the TV. In a home theater sound syatem the center speaker is the most important.

I don't think you can have both unless your source can deliver it simultaneously through different outputs.

my old mitsu delivered the sound together but i dont think this one u can have both on at same time
z3ds's Avatar z3ds 04:41 PM 01-28-2011
Hey guys,
I have a wd-65c9 still with the 11.03
I have a PC connected to HDMI 1 via DVI to HDMI cable. I connected my sound card to the DVI/PC audio input via 3.5mm to RCA. There is no sound. I tried resetting, placing HDMI cable to all 3 input, deleting input names and unplugging. I have verified that sound is coming out of my PC by connecting it to a receiver. Why isn't still not working? Is it possible I have a c10 firmware?
Tags: Mitsubishi
First ... 329  330  331 332  333  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop