Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoppe View Post

Guys,

I have a WD-73737.

Where is the serial number located? I have it installed in custom cabinet and its hard to get to the back of the tv so I wanted to know exactly where to look before moving it around.

Also, is there another way to get the serial? Like thru a service menu?

It's on the warranty card too, I believe, if you still have that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al K Hall View Post

This is my first HDTV.

You did not answer my question about a HTPC?

The first makes me suspicious maybe something isn't set right.

Re the second, well you still can't output more than 1920x1080 to the set. I tend to doubt that a pc digital tv card would have better upscaling than the native one on the TV or a high-end HTR, but you can certainly try. Just the relative pricing of the three --TV, pc card, and HTR-- suggest that. But sometimes price doesn't mean quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1083 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georule View Post

It's on the warranty card too, I believe, if you still have that.

Awesome, its on there! Thanks.
post #1084 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This is not meant as a thread crap, but I went to Paul's TV in West Los Angeles to view the new line of these sets & I have to say that I was not that impressed with the PQ. I even got to tweak one for a while. They just cannot compare to the PQ of the ill-fated Sony SXRDs. They are/were above and beyond any RP I have ever seen...

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #1085 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomixer View Post

They just cannot compare to the PQ of the ill-fated Sony SXRDs. They are/were above and beyond any RP I have ever seen...

They are/were 2X the price though, yes?

One day at a time...
post #1086 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:13 PM

Hi everyone...be gentle with me, Im new. I just got my 60737 today and....well...Im not a happy camper (and I got it as a replacement from Mits for my WD-Y57 that a repair guy destroyed...a loooong story for another day). Ive been reading through the forum (you guys give awesome advice) but I have yet to see (probably missed it...unless, eek, im the only one!!) someone mention my problem. My picture bows in the middle...big time!..The sides arent too bad but I cant take the middle being so off....in the SM if actually looks like the center horizontal line is smiling! Is there any way to make an adjust to the middle of the set? (been in the SM...actually figured out how to get in it before joining here and how to change the basics...I always take the hard way 1st...lol)...I should mention that the box it came in looked like the Patriots were kicking it around the field for practice (dont blame me...the wife signed for it...lol).....any advice would be greatly appreciated!..Thanks!
post #1087 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see it on both SD and HD.

I have a Scientific Atlanta 4250HD cable box, which has upscaling (1080i) capabilities, connected via HDMI. I have found that using the upscaling actually makes the picture worse. I have the STB set to deliver the signal to the TV at its normal resolution.

This is my first HDTV.

You did not answer my question about a HTPC?

Oh, and just for grins and giggles. . . if you have an old pair of rabbit ears or somesuch around, throw those on there and see what OTA HD looks like compared to what you are getting from your cable box.

post #1088 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxx View Post

Hi everyone...be gentle with me, Im new. I just got my 60737 today and....well...Im not a happy camper (and I got it as a replacement from Mits for my WD-Y57 that a repair guy destroyed...a loooong story for another day). Ive been reading through the forum (you guys give awesome advice) but I have yet to see (probably missed it...unless, eek, im the only one!!) someone mention my problem. My picture bows in the middle...big time!..The sides arent too bad but I cant take the middle being so off....in the SM if actually looks like the center horizontal line is smiling! Is there any way to make an adjust to the middle of the set? (been in the SM...actually figured out how to get in it before joining here and how to change the basics...I always take the hard way 1st...lol)...I should mention that the box it came in looked like the Patriots were kicking it around the field for practice (dont blame me...the wife signed for it...lol).....any advice would be greatly appreciated!..Thanks!

If the box was handled that roughly you might have a mirror issue. See this previous post...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16659225
post #1089 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Paradoxx, welcome to the thread.

Is it possible to take a photograph showing your SM graph with the white lines?

Then we can compare your screen with ours, and see how bad it is.

Minor geometry issues seem to be normal for these sets, particularly with the slight bowing in the middle, but if yours is MUCH worse, it might have indeed gotten damaged during the shipping and delivery.

One day at a time...
post #1090 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradoxx View Post

Hmm, real good chance if the box is mucked up that maybe a mirror is out of place or something. Definitely geometry related. Try starting at post 193 in this thread and then follow along re Geometry issues. Pay attention to bkwells posts about how he finally fixed his by taking it apart and adjusting a mirror --not that you have to do that; a service call would be acceptable too.

If you're bowing in the middle it's probably not the outer geometry that needs fixing but the inner geometry. One of the posts upstream somewhere not too far after 193 I think talks about how to do both, and someone just a couple pages ago did their inner geometry too, I think.

Good luck! They are awesome when they work, and great value for the money, but yeah sometimes they require some luck and/or work too.

post #1091 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

BAMA, what are you doing here? Why aren't you out buying that 73 incher?

One day at a time...
post #1092 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Happy,

Should I pull out the popcorn popper any time soon?
post #1093 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy nightmares View Post

BAMA, what are you doing here? Why aren't you out buying that 73 incher?

Ummm... Someone was going to post part 3....
post #1094 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Grrr.. damn it.. trying to shift focus away from myself. lol

One day at a time...
post #1095 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Grrr.. damn it.. trying to shift focus away from myself. lol

Let me see. If you point at someone else you have at least three fingers pointing right back at you
post #1096 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

This is not meant as a thread crap, but I went to Paul's TV in West Los Angeles to view the new line of these sets & I have to say that I was not that impressed with the PQ. I even got to tweak one for a while. They just cannot compare to the PQ of the ill-fated Sony SXRDs. They are/were above and beyond any RP I have ever seen...

With or without the blobs?
post #1097 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are/were 2X the price though, yes?

Yes...they were expensive.

post #1098 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

With or without the blobs?

When they are working properly, they are amazing...

post #1099 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I service a dealer that sells mostly Mits and Sony so I have extensive experience with both over many years. I calibrate both more than any other product, as well as service both. I can honestly say that my experience is that the SXRD sets and the Mits DLPs were very close in the period where they were both available, and either could look better properly calibrated and at similar levels. Overall, I cannot think of as many times when making those comparisons where I would have picked the Sony over the Mits as vice versa. In nearly all cases when they were close, I would have chosen the Mitsubishi, usually for a little more detail. I generally find that the Sony can be a little more forgiving of sloppy analog video (but only after your learn to tweak it with the DRC), but the Mits is better on good HD.

Respectfully, I suggest you look again, making sure that the source is familiar and the calibration and conditions of comparison are similar.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area:
post #1100 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Hmm, real good chance if the box is mucked up that maybe a mirror is out of place or something. Definitely geometry related. Try starting at post 193 in this thread and then follow along re Geometry issues. Pay attention to bkwells posts about how he finally fixed his by taking it apart and adjusting a mirror --not that you have to do that; a service call would be acceptable too.

If you're bowing in the middle it's probably not the outer geometry that needs fixing but the inner geometry. One of the posts upstream somewhere not too far after 193 I think talks about how to do both, and someone just a couple pages ago did their inner geometry too, I think.

Sadly I have tried every option so far. Checked the mirror and in comparison to my WD-Y57 it looks like it was put in by the hands of the Gods. Absolutely perfect (wish it had been hanging by a piece of chewing gum...at least I would know how to fix that)...It has a bunch of quirks also....any fixes in the manual geometry seems to have the opposite effect (weird)...the bezel and screen shake when you walk across the room, and, I have concrete floors!...Looks like its just get an authorized Mits guy out here and see what hey can do. If he cant fix it Mits says they will replace it...woohooo, another 2 months of waiting and endless hours on the phone with them...ohh joy.
post #1101 of 11280 Old 07-09-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:

I'm full-blown obsessive compulsive, and I see 'everything'. If there's a flaw in something, I will find it. It's a curse, really.

Are we related??... I thought I was the only person like that (lol)...and you are right..its a curse! My wife is already pissed at me because im anal retentive beyond belief and I cant let the geometry issue go (you know, the type of guy who owns 800+ dvds..each one in its own category and alphabetized...and god help someone if they arent all even in their slots!!!)...soon shes going to pack up her stuff and the dog and leave me....God Im gonna miss that dog.
post #1102 of 11280 Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo View Post

I can honestly say that my experience is that the SXRD sets and the Mits DLPs were very close in the period where they were both available

I think the 833 model did trail an SXRD in a Home Theater Magazine comparison. But that was a DC3 based design. By every account I've read, the DC4 (introduced last year) was a noticeable improvement over the older DC3 based sets. Seems to me that should help the current Mits in comparison to an SXRD.

(actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #1103 of 11280 Old 07-10-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:

The first makes me suspicious maybe something isn't set right.

Re the second, well you still can't output more than 1920x1080 to the set. I tend to doubt that a pc digital tv card would have better upscaling than the native one on the TV or a high-end HTR, but you can certainly try. Just the relative pricing of the three --TV, pc card, and HTR-- suggest that. But sometimes price doesn't mean quality.

I have tried changing all the standard settings, although I have not tried the Advanced settings.

I have also noticed that rapid scene changes cause 'tiling', and the tiling is especially evident in a scene with fire.

Aside from the upscaling, I was wondering if using a high-end GPU, with its signal processing capabilities, would tend to improve the picture quality?

Admittedly, I have not spent much time researching receivers, can you recommend one that can process video like a dedicated GPU; i.e. Anti-aliasing, Anisotropic filtering, Gamma correction, Texture quality, etc.?
post #1104 of 11280 Old 07-10-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:

Oh, and just for grins and giggles. . . if you have an old pair of rabbit ears or somesuch around, throw those on there and see what OTA HD looks like compared to what you are getting from your cable box.

Unfortunately, no. I have always (the last 25+ years) been on cable.
post #1105 of 11280 Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Just curious if anyone has made an attempt to watch a 3D Dvd with an 837 set?
From what little I have read, one needs a computer with some horse power, the proper video card and a DVI to HDMI cable and glasses and emitter box that plugs into the set.
The most I have found on it is at the Texas Instruments site.
http://www.dlp.com/hdtv/3-d_dlp_hdtv.aspx

Hoping to learn more about it with anyone who has tried it out.
(I have the 73837 and am quite happy with it...it beats out the Panasonic Plasma and Samsung UN55B8000 - 55" /1080p/240Hz/LCD-LED HDTV Television I had, both of which I returned).
post #1106 of 11280 Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have tried changing all the standard settings, although I have not tried the Advanced settings.

I have also noticed that rapid scene changes cause 'tiling', and the tiling is especially evident in a scene with fire.

Aside from the upscaling, I was wondering if using a high-end GPU, with its signal processing capabilities, would tend to improve the picture quality?

Admittedly, I have not spent much time researching receivers, can you recommend one that can process video like a dedicated GPU; i.e. Anti-aliasing, Anisotropic filtering, Gamma correction, Texture quality, etc.?

I don't have any recommendations for you on HTRs or gpus. Maybe someone else will. I'm still not convinced something isn't going on with the cable company. It might be worth a talk with their tech people to make sure your account (most cable companies make you pay extra for HD channels to be made available) and box settings are right. Your report is just too different from everyone elses for me to accept yet that it isn't an input problem of some kind. Even the $10 Walmart rabbit ears, or loaners from a friend/co-worker, would probably answer that question if you're in a urban area.

post #1107 of 11280 Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Where's that located?

On the remote, you can hit "more" then one of the options is format. On normal inputs this would let you select wide or wide zoom, etc. On the PC input it allows you to "reduce" which basically just zooms out a bit.

For some reason I didn't have this option at first, but after I restarted the TV it showed up.

Sorry, I'm at work and don't know the name of it directly, but if you go to mitsubishi-tv.com and look at the owners manual you'll find what I mean on page 27 of the PDF. Note, I did NOT find this info in the manual that came with the TV, but it is on the website.
post #1108 of 11280 Old 07-10-2009, 01:17 PM

My TV arrived today. I have it set up in my game room and the X box is going crazy right now (for 3 years). I purchased a "cheap" stand at HHGregg for $250 (incl. tax). The manager gave me a deal on the stand as it listed for over $330. The stand is only 60" long so the TV sticks out a few inches on each end; no problem as it still looks good.

The stand is 22.25" inches high. In my setting 22"-24" high was optimal.
I found only two stands for less than $500 delivered that met my specifications for the 73837. The one I purchased was too good a deal to pass up for my game room.

The picture is good but the bulb gets very hot after a few hours. In fact, it seems hotter than my 60" Pioneer Plasma Anyway, now I need to program the picture settings. I don't need perfection just good here.
So far, I like Natural in the bright settting for TV. I like the factory setting for gaming. Any suggestions for Blu-Ray?

This TV was a very good value and an excellent set for the kids.
post #1109 of 11280 Old 07-10-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshutt97 View Post

On the remote, you can hit "more" then one of the options is format. On normal inputs this would let you select wide or wide zoom, etc. On the PC input it allows you to "reduce" which basically just zooms out a bit.

For some reason I didn't have this option at first, but after I restarted the TV it showed up.

Sorry, I'm at work and don't know the name of it directly, but if you go to mitsubishi-tv.com and look at the owners manual you'll find what I mean on page 27 of the PDF. Note, I did NOT find this info in the manual that came with the TV, but it is on the website.

Ah, okay. I don't have a PC hooked up so I don't see that under format, but makes sense.

post #1110 of 11280 Old 07-10-2009, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefjunky View Post

So far, I like Natural in the bright settting for TV. I like the factory setting for gaming. Any suggestions for Blu-Ray?

This TV was a very good value and an excellent set for the kids.

Congrats. After a few weeks of fooling around I've come around to Bright/Low after starting in Natural/Low, tho I've muted the red a bit in Perfect Color for B/L. Mits claims Natural/Low as closest to the standard, but at least one guy with testing equipment confimed that Natural/Low is actually too low in color temp, and Bright/Low is closer, tho a touch high. But man the reds were just a little too much for me in that so I knocked 'em down a notch.

What are you doing to know the bulb is hot? Does it have a few inches around it on all sides for airflow?

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page