2009 Mitsubishi Owners Thread (C9/737/837) - Page 378 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #11311 of 11325 Old 12-23-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
Thanks! Thats about right pretty good reliability for 9 hours of viewing
It's an age thing with the defective DMD chips. TI produced a bad batch that went into Mitsubishi and Samsung DLPs.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11312 of 11325 Old 12-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
srvy, what kind of bookshelf monitors are those on top?
post #11313 of 11325 Old 12-24-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post
srvy, what kind of bookshelf monitors are those on top?
Mackie 824
post #11314 of 11325 Old 12-29-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just had to call mitsubishi on the defective dmd chip issue with my wd-73c9. Had the white dots show up. They didn't haggle at all about sending a free dmd chip. Scheduled with local repair shop and they came out for the $200 agreed upon service charge and took them all of 30-40 minutes to change it out and even cleaned out the rest of my tv for me for free! Very happy and tv looks new again!

BenQ HT1085ST|Silver Ticket 106'' Screen| Onkyo TX-NR3030| SVS Ultra Towers X's 2| SVS Ultra Center| SVS Ultra Surrounds X's 2| SVS Ultra Bookshelves X's 2| Def-Tech DI-8R in-ceiling speakers X's 4| PSA XS30SE subs X's 2| Buttkickers X's 4, 2 buttkicker amps| Oppo BDP-103| Darbee Darblet 5000| 3D Bee| Monster HTS 5000 MKII| Carver 705x| PS4| Xbox 360| Harmony Touch| Dell XPS 420 HTPC running XBMC & MyMovies W/12TB NAS| Seatcraft Adonis Seats| Monoprice and Sewell Direct cables
post #11315 of 11325 Old 12-30-2014, 05:15 PM

Liked: 13
Did you have to show them a picture of the TV showing the white dots, or did they take your word for it?
post #11316 of 11325 Old 12-30-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a WD-65C9 that's acting up in the strangest way. When I turn it on, the LED blinks green. The lamp strikes. I get the Mitsubishi logo on the blue background.

And then it turns itself off.

The screen goes dark, I hear the fan stop, and it turns off. No LED error codes. No yellow/red flashes. It just turns on, strikes the lamp, and turns itself off.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
post #11317 of 11325 Old 12-31-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roving camel View Post
I have a WD-65C9 that's acting up in the strangest way. When I turn it on, the LED blinks green. The lamp strikes. I get the Mitsubishi logo on the blue background.

And then it turns itself off.

The screen goes dark, I hear the fan stop, and it turns off. No LED error codes. No yellow/red flashes. It just turns on, strikes the lamp, and turns itself off.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Update the firmware. If that doesn't work, some have fixed it by replacing the main board.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
post #11318 of 11325 Old 12-31-2014, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Update the firmware. If that doesn't work, some have fixed it by replacing the main board.
Thanks a million, Augerhandle. The Mitsubishi software update fixed things right up, and it didn't take five minutes to fix. I must have corrupted the firmware somehow.

Tomorrow it will be exactly five years with my 65c9, still on the original bulb. This is certainly the most cost-effective A/V purchase I've ever made.
post #11319 of 11325 Old 01-01-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roving camel View Post
Thanks a million, Augerhandle. The Mitsubishi software update fixed things right up, and it didn't take five minutes to fix. I must have corrupted the firmware somehow.

Tomorrow it will be exactly five years with my 65c9, still on the original bulb. This is certainly the most cost-effective A/V purchase I've ever made.
YW

post #11320 of 11325 Old 01-12-2015, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by georule View Post
So I bought a pair of generic lamps for my 60737 (and 65C9) just over a year ago for the price of one official Mits. This morning, the first one blew, loudly. Took it out without problem (no loose debris in the lamp bay), and replaced it with the second one. No problem. Looks great. In retrospect, the older one was starting to darken --hadn't really noticed it until I saw this flamethrower fresh one light up the screen.

I estimate just short of 6,000 hours out of the first bulb (this TV is on 16 hours/day). Not bad at all.

So I went back to Amazon, found my original order, and went back to look at ordering another one to have as a spare now that the second one is actually in the TV. Now they're down to less than $26/each with Prime shipping! Wow. That's *4* of these lamps for less than the cost of one Official Mits (going for $118.90 before shipping as of this morning at Mits site). Ordered another to have a fresh spare on hand (I still have my original Mits lamp still in working condition, but with several thousand hours on it, as my emergency spare). I have two of these TVs (a 60" and 65") so having a fresh spare on hand just seems like a good idea.

I understand the experience with 3rd party lamps is very uneven across the community, but this one has worked out pretty well for me so far.
What 3rd party lamp did you buy? I bought an OEM lamp from Mitsu to have on hand about a year ago. Put it in, lasted about a month and blew out. Naturally I wasn't happy so i called them. They won't replace it as the lamps come with a 90 day warranty. So much for buying one to have on hand. I've even changed housings to see if that was the issue, nope.

Thanks
post #11321 of 11325 Old 01-12-2015, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzer View Post
What 3rd party lamp did you buy? I bought an OEM lamp from Mitsu to have on hand about a year ago. Put it in, lasted about a month and blew out. Naturally I wasn't happy so i called them. They won't replace it as the lamps come with a 90 day warranty. So much for buying one to have on hand. I've even changed housings to see if that was the issue, nope.

Thanks
IMO it is a waste to keep a new lamp as a spare. Change your lamp when it dims, and keep the OLD one as a spare. No warranty issues and the next time, the old lamp will work just fine for the few days it takes to ship another one.
old corps likes this.

post #11322 of 11325 Old 01-12-2015, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
IMO it is a waste to keep a new lamp as a spare. Change your lamp when it dims, and keep the OLD one as a spare. No warranty issues and the next time, the old lamp will work just fine for the few days it takes to ship another one.
What 3rd party lamp did you buy? Do you have a link?

Thanks
post #11323 of 11325 Old 01-13-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzer View Post
What 3rd party lamp did you buy? Do you have a link?

Thanks
I only buy directly from Mitsubishi. https://mitsuparts.3diamonds.com/Products/Index/ (800) 553-7278

These aren't like light bulbs, they are specifically designed for each chassis model. The wrong lamp or a substandard lamp can even damage your TV. I've read too many horror stories here in the forums about aftermarket lamps not working, causing problems, etc. There's a lot of stories where people have replaced ballasts and other parts after buying aftermarket lamps. There have been a few lucky ones, but buying cheap lamps can get awfully expensive fast. Saving $75 only to ruin a $2000-$3000 TV isn't very cost effective to me.

YMMV, IMO, RTFM, etc.

EDIT: (from the owner's manual)

Quote:
Lamp-Substitution Alert
MEVSA recommends that you use only genuine Replacement Lamp Assemblies purchased directly from Mitsubishi or a
Mitsubishi Authorized Dealer or Mitsubishi Authorized Service Center. MEVSA advises that replacement lamps obtained
separately from the Lamp Cartridge and/or Lamp Assemblies obtained from unauthorized sellers may be incorrect for
your television, may not fit or perform properly and may even damage your television. MEVSA can not be responsible
for the performance, reliability or safety of any replacement lamps that are obtained from unauthorized sources.

One would think it's pretty important if a company goes to the trouble of putting a Lamp-Substitution Alert in the manual.
old corps likes this.

Last edited by Augerhandle; 01-13-2015 at 02:30 PM.
post #11324 of 11325 Old 01-25-2015, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've got a WD-60737 that was displaying the white and black dots. I tried doing a software update, but it appears to have failed. I am stuck on the blue Welcome screen. Does anyone have any idea how to get past this? I hated the stuck pixels, but having no tv is way worse!
post #11325 of 11325 Unread Today, 04:52 PM

Liked: 13
I have a WD65737, purchased in 2009 and it started showing dead (white) pixels a few weeks ago. It didn't progress quite a quickly as I've read it can - after a few weeks it was only up to 10.

We called Mitsubishi and try as we might to get a better deal, the best we could get was a free replacement chip and we pay the $200 for the service company to come out and replace it. We asked if they could throw in a replacement lamp, but no deal.

So, the service guy just came out and replaced the chip. He said he has to send the old one back so he couldn't let us keep it. He did clean the TV out and it's back in service. Easy, but did run us $200.

FYI for anyone that's about to go through the same thing.

I have to admit - that's a tough call on a 5-6 year-old TV, but I'm one of those that gets something set up to work a certain way and don't like to change it. I just really don't want to have to buy a new TV right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page