2009 Mitsubishi Owners Thread (C9/737/837) - Page 382 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #11431 of 11460 Old 05-13-2016, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy Finally replaced lamp in my 65" 737, but now...

A few weeks ago, my 2009 65737 finally dimmed its last while watching Saturday golf (about 13,000 hours). Picture was very dark and no adjustment of Brightness helped. So I put in an order from some online vendor with authentic Philips lamp and assembly for this TV for about $8 (matching the part number from the manual)--first lamp change ever. Anyway I got it and installed it, however the seating screws were too small so I reused the old ones from the original housing (and I think at this point, I have tossed my old housing/lamp). So as I had the lamp assembly out the level of dust and dead moths in that hole was pretty substantial, so I took a can of air, held it quite a ways away and light pumped a few times of air to clear dust/debris out.. That was all the cleaning I did. And put the new lamp/housing in. TV starts and works fine. Incredibly bright, so of course I had to take Brightness way down. I think I have it between 20 and 25.

However the problem is (I need to take a photo I guess if this does not make sense): especially on dark scenes while watching Blu-Rays on my PS3 (for instance, the scenes in Moria in Fellowship of the Ring where there is an abundance of black/almost black), in those dark areas the screen isn't actually "black" but larger "pixels" of dark purples, lighter black and such that do not shift as scenes shift. They also appear in the above/below black bars. It doesn't seem to be an issue when watching TV (Dish). So is this because of dust on the DLP mirrors/back of screen/light engine in general? Do I need to go in there and dust/vacuum? (I never have in the 7 years I have had it) and I don't recall this issue before. Any advice? (Also seems to be a bit of "light leak" coming from the bottom of the picture across the bottom) *shrug*. Again, this all seems to be an issue when I am watching a Blu-Ray/DVD. I have tried fiddling with some of the Mitsubishi "enhancement option" Deep Field this and that, those various options that most everyone recommends leaving off. Setting those to ON didn't seem to have any effect on this issue. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11432 of 11460 Old 05-16-2016, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hope I can get some input.

Wd-73737
Current bulb is just over a year old. Not bought from Mitsubishi directly but it's $90 Philips from Amazon claiming to be EOM. TV is on ALOT because my wife is stay at home mom with a now one year old. So I'm sure the lamp hours are quite high.

So what's the issue? TV won't stay on for more than 4 or 5 minutes now. Yellow blinking light. Got the error code 17.

TV had white dot issue about 7 months ago which I had repaired.

Trying to see if people think it's the optical engine or the lamp. Repair place says it's $60 to come diagnose. Is it worth it to get another bulb and see if it's just that? How much is a repair of the engine usually run. I feel kinda stuck.
post #11433 of 11460 Old 05-17-2016, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The service manual says error code 17 indicates an engine failure (or bad connection of the power connector to the engine).
post #11434 of 11460 Old 05-17-2016, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty9678 View Post
Hope I can get some input.

Wd-73737
Current bulb is just over a year old. Not bought from Mitsubishi directly but it's $90 Philips from Amazon claiming to be EOM. TV is on ALOT because my wife is stay at home mom with a now one year old. So I'm sure the lamp hours are quite high.

So what's the issue? TV won't stay on for more than 4 or 5 minutes now. Yellow blinking light. Got the error code 17.

TV had white dot issue about 7 months ago which I had repaired.

Trying to see if people think it's the optical engine or the lamp. Repair place says it's $60 to come diagnose. Is it worth it to get another bulb and see if it's just that? How much is a repair of the engine usually run. I feel kinda stuck.
Open it up and vacuum all the dust out. DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR!!! It sounds like it is overheating.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #11435 of 11460 Old 05-18-2016, 02:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethy View Post
Just a resolution for this, it appears the dlp chip was hazed perhaps from heat or age, but replacing it resolved the issue. After pulling the chip it was quite obvious as you can see in the image.

I believe I have this same issue.
post #11436 of 11460 Old 05-18-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogunz View Post
I believe I have this same issue.

Does anyone in this thread know if this is a common issue?
post #11437 of 11460 Old 05-18-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Hey all, I've had my wd65c9 for about 6 years and outside of replacing the bulb i haven't had any issues until last night. We were watching a movie and noticed in the black bars around it had gotten what seemed like light leaking in making the bottom and part of the left side look bright. It came out surprisingly well in the picture hah. I see a lot of posts about dot issues but hasn't seen anything about this, admittedly i may not be searching for the right keywords. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have the 73837 and have same issue as Nethy.
post #11438 of 11460 Old 05-18-2016, 02:53 PM

Does anyone have personal experience with changing the DLP chip on an 837? Is it difficult? I am someone that has experience with building PC's but this is something different as I am concerned about ease of access and final geometry after replacement.
post #11439 of 11460 Old 05-18-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Hey all, I've had my wd65c9 for about 6 years and outside of replacing the bulb i haven't had any issues until last night. We were watching a movie and noticed in the black bars around it had gotten what seemed like light leaking in making the bottom and part of the left side look bright. It came out surprisingly well in the picture hah. I see a lot of posts about dot issues but hasn't seen anything about this, admittedly i may not be searching for the right keywords. Anyone have any suggestions?

Does anyone know if this chip is something that Mits will cover out of warranty? I read in some other threads that Mits covered chip replacement due to the "white spots" issue and am hoping hazing is covered as well.
post #11440 of 11460 Old 05-18-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if this chip is something that Mits will cover out of warranty? I read in some other threads that Mits covered chip replacement due to the "white spots" issue and am hoping hazing is covered as well.

After all the problems I had with my first gen Mits DLP the 73837 replaced it under warranty. I assumed that all the issues had been ironed out at Mits as I haven't had one problem since receiving this set in 2010. Are there any other problems this series is plagued with that I should be on the look out for?
post #11441 of 11460 Old 05-21-2016, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
they told me no on the warranty but you can give it a try. I bought the part from shopjimmy and installation was pretty easy on my 65c9. just carefully removing a bunch of screws and putting them all back, you can find videos online. make sure you mark exactly how the circuit board is aligned so the picture is exactly straight, otherwise there might be a slight tilt.
post #11442 of 11460 Old 06-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My trusty WD-73C9 has 14833 hours on the original bulb. The picture has dimmed and I figured it was time for a replacement bulb. Because this Mitsubishi has performed above and beyond any expectations I have had for it. I am going to throw in a cheap generic lamp. I do mean inexpensive in $17.51 with shipping.

I am a veteran of the DLP bulb game starting with a Toshiba 72" that was notorious for crapping out within a year or two no matter the lamp. Be it factory original or generic. This is why the Mitsubishi has earned the 3 diamonds award unto itself.

Eventually I will replace this 73" with a 70+ inch flat screen TV.

I will update this thread on how the generic replacement bulb works.

Note to self and others. Press Menu 2-4-7-0 to see total hours on the OSD.

I was shocked that this TV was well over 10,000 hours. Very pleased with the performance of the Mitsubishi.
jashotwe1 likes this.
post #11443 of 11460 Old 06-22-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post
My trusty WD-73C9 has 14833 hours on the original bulb. The picture has dimmed and I figured it was time for a replacement bulb. Because this Mitsubishi has performed above and beyond any expectations I have had for it. I am going to throw in a cheap generic lamp. I do mean inexpensive in $17.51 with shipping.

I am a veteran of the DLP bulb game starting with a Toshiba 72" that was notorious for crapping out within a year or two no matter the lamp. Be it factory original or generic. This is why the Mitsubishi has earned the 3 diamonds award unto itself.

Eventually I will replace this 73" with a 70+ inch flat screen TV.

I will update this thread on how the generic replacement bulb works.

Note to self and others. Press Menu 2-4-7-0 to see total hours on the OSD.

I was shocked that this TV was well over 10,000 hours. Very pleased with the performance of the Mitsubishi.

If you are only paying $17 for the lamp, I'd start shopping new TVs right away. You're gonna need one.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #11444 of 11460 Old 06-22-2016, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

As i said I will keep this thread updated on how my replacement lamp works. The only way a lamp can ruin a TV is if you put in the wrong size lamp and casing. Inexpensive lamps simply do not last as long as the OEM lamps. The place I bought it from even said as much in their literature. I do my research making sure other Mitsubishi owners have had success with the lamps before i purchase them.
post #11445 of 11460 Old 06-23-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post
As i said I will keep this thread updated on how my replacement lamp works. The only way a lamp can ruin a TV is if you put in the wrong size lamp and casing. Inexpensive lamps simply do not last as long as the OEM lamps. The place I bought it from even said as much in their literature. I do my research making sure other Mitsubishi owners have had success with the lamps before i purchase them.

These are not light bulbs. The wrong lamp can damage your TV's circuitry. Just tryin' to help.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #11446 of 11460 Old 06-23-2016, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

I read this somewhere but cannot recall where I read this.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #11447 of 11460 Old 06-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

I received my $18 lamp today with 2 day priority mail. It took me 2 minutes from removal of the original lamp to replacing the new lamp. This is very difficult to achieve with such speed without a handy power tool with a light on the drill. Cranked up the old 73" Mitsubishi and full brightness has returned to the millions of tiny mirrors on a DLP chip. There was dust on the old lamp but no dust to speak of near any core components inside the TV chassis.

So far so good, no engine errors or fault errors to speak of in the Mitsubishi. I keep this thread updated on how well the lamp does over time. I will probably order another lamp in the next few weeks if everything continues to work well with this lamp.

For what it is and cost considered, DLP is quite an amazing technology. Prior to this Mitsubishi I had a 65" Mitsubishi CRT rear projection. I still marvel at the replacing of a dying lamp. The picture is returned to as new condition.
nikknightt and Squirrel! like this.
post #11448 of 11460 Old 06-26-2016, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #11449 of 11460 Old 06-27-2016, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It is about time for my second bulb on my 65737. Been over 4 years since the last one, so I don't feel so bad. It's just extremely dim!

I know the Osram, Phillips argument, and that would be my choice. Is Neolux by Osram a second rate bulb, or the recommended bulb? It seems to be an economy product.

Also, what online retailers do you recommend? It's hard to tell with the all the secondary marketplace sellers out there. Suggestions? I can spend the $85+shipping, but want to be thrifty as well.

- Todd
www.toddlbauerle.com

Mitsubishi 65737 | Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Sony BDP-S590

Last edited by tlbauerle; 06-27-2016 at 08:33 PM.
post #11450 of 11460 Old 06-27-2016, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbauerle View Post
It is about time for my second bulb on my 65737. Been over 4 years since the last one, so I don't feel so bad. It's just extremely dim!

I know the Osram, Phillips argument, and that would be my choice. I'm s Neolux by Osram a cheaper version, or the recommended bulb? It seems to be an economy product.

Also, what online retailers do you recommend? It's hard to tell with the all the secondary marketplace sellers out there. Suggestions? I can spend the $85+shipping, but want to be thrifty as well.

https://mitsuparts.3diamonds.com/Pro...Model/WD-65737

What's thrifty? Buying a cheap lamp that doesn't last, with the very real possibility of it costing dearly in future repairs to damaged components, or buying the right lamp for a little bit more money up front? The market is flooded with Chinese knock-offs, and you never know what you are really getting, especially if the price is low.

post #11451 of 11460 Old 06-27-2016, 09:06 PM

Ugh...$130. Is that the housing too, it seems like just the lamp.

Any other recommended retailers? I will probably call my local shop as well.

- Todd
www.toddlbauerle.com

post #11452 of 11460 Old 06-28-2016, 05:11 AM

This is where I purchased my latest lamp:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-915B40...rds=915B403001

I put this lamp into server in October of 2015 (about 1800 lamp hours ago) and it's running well so far.
post #11453 of 11460 Old 06-28-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ugh...$130. Is that the housing too, it seems like just the lamp.

Any other recommended retailers? I will probably call my local shop as well.

$130 vs a $200 service call when the ballast, main board, or computer in your TV faults out... At least one person on this forum broke the connector on his TV because the "OEM equivalent" lamp didn't fit properly.

Yes, it includes the housing. Two screws, slide the old one out, and then slide the new one in.
tlbauerle likes this.

post #11454 of 11460 Old 06-28-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
This is where I purchased my latest lamp:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-915B40...rds=915B403001

I put this lamp into server in October of 2015 (about 1800 lamp hours ago) and it's running well so far.

I'm glad you got lucky. Which seller did you buy from? that link lists several sellers that sell through amazon, and not all the lamps are the same, no matter what the seller claims.

BTW, that is a Phillips lamp. ALL my lamps from Mitsubishi were Osram, so I doubt it is OEM.

post #11455 of 11460 Old 06-28-2016, 12:17 PM

I think the seller was called Exclusivebulbs.

It doesn't represent itself as an OEM lamp, it's just a replacement lamp.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #11456 of 11460 Old 06-28-2016, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

...and then there's this on page 70 of the owner's manual:

https://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/asset/...737-837_OG.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptureLampSubstitutionAlert.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1519442  

post #11457 of 11460 Old 06-29-2016, 09:48 PM

My shop wants $130 to install a new lamp in my current housing. No thanks! I want to save this one which I have had for four years as a replacement!

- Todd
www.toddlbauerle.com

post #11458 of 11460 Old 06-30-2016, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My shop wants $130 to install a new lamp in my current housing. No thanks! I want to save this one which I have had for four years as a replacement!
It's two screws, slide it out, slide the new cartridge in. If you can open and close a drawer, you can replace a lamp.
Squirrel! likes this.

Last edited by Augerhandle; 06-30-2016 at 08:10 PM.
post #11459 of 11460 Old 06-30-2016, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

It took me two minutes from start to finish to replace my lamp with no instruction and only a power drill with a light on it. With that said I ordered a backup lamp for my $17.51 lamp. It cost cost me nearly $19.00. I will keep this thread updated on the lifespan of my generic lamp. I use this forum to calculate the hours of the new lamp. (14833) hours for the original lamp.
post #11460 of 11460 Old 07-01-2016, 06:47 PM

Yeah, I have done that. What I am saying is they want $130 to have me bring in the cartridge, physically put a new bulb in that and have me replace cartridge. It's crazy.

- Todd
www.toddlbauerle.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi