2009 Mitsubishi Owners Thread (C9/737/837) - Page 384 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #11491 of 11498 Old 04-15-2017, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What do you mean by flickering? Are you saying the display turns off and then on again? The screen is getting dim and then bright? Individual pixels are changing color when they shouldn't be?

If you've had the same problem with multiple lamps, it implies the lamp is not the issue. I've used both OEM and aftermarket lamps (even cheap ones) and haven't seen this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11492 of 11498 Old 04-15-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbauerle View Post
Warn me about what? i bought a Phillips bulb. My last two had this problem once in a while. That means the original and then the replacement official mits bulb. Or are you saying a Phillips bulb is not as superior as a mits bulb?

It's been a while,because if I remember it was earlier in the bulb life. It was really something that went away with previous bulbs. Just started within the last two weeks. Today has been bad.

Is this just normal neon-like flickering part of bulb wear? Or what else?

It has nothing to do with superiority. Mitsubishi specs Osram, so why would you buy Phillips? These are not like light bulbs, they are lamps, and they are specifically designed per each manufacturer's TV model and chassis. That's why there are different lamp numbers for different TV makes (and models). Each lamp is designed within certain voltage and current specs. The wrong lamp causes all sorts of issues, from flickering to hardware failure, thus Mitsubishi's warning. Anecdotally, I have read many posts on these forums regarding TV issues caused by the wrong lamp. Read through the DLP threads. People have spent hundreds changing out boards and other parts because they used the wrong lamp. Some people have gotten lucky in the aftermarket crap shoot, but they seem very few. All my Mitsubishi lamps have been Osram, and I have never had any flickering or other effects that so many aftermarket buyers suffer from.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #11493 of 11498 Old 04-15-2017, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
What do you mean by flickering? Are you saying the display turns off and then on again? The screen is getting dim and then bright? Individual pixels are changing color when they shouldn't be?

If you've had the same problem with multiple lamps, it implies the lamp is not the issue. I've used both OEM and aftermarket lamps (even cheap ones) and haven't seen this problem.
Thanks for clarifying...

It is not an off/on flicker. It's like a subtle neon-like flicker, or a candle light flicker. It is most noticeable around the edges of the screen, and less noticeable in the center. It is only few second here and there, but yesterday it was quite frequent.

I would have agreeded it was independent of the bulb...but it seemed to happen earlier in the bulb life. Or at least it was more noticeable. I bumped the tv to Brillant, and I haven't noticed it much since. I was reading about projector bulbs and using the bright setting to help break the bulb in.

My last bulb was an official mits part, so probably Osram, but I had a company replace it, so I don't know what they used.

The only reason I posit the bulb is it is the recent change.

- Todd
www.toddlbauerle.com

Mitsubishi 65737 | Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Sony BDP-S590

post #11494 of 11498 Old 04-15-2017, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Usually when something goes wrong, the first thing to look at is the last thing that was changed. However, as this has happened with multiple lamps, then either you've had real bad luck with lamps or there's something else wrong. The type of flickering you're talking about I've not seen so hopefully someone else will chime in with some advice.

Good luck. These sure are wonderful TVs and I hope to get a few more years out of mine
post #11495 of 11498 Old 04-15-2017, 06:16 PM

I have asked about it a few times, and no one can help. I don't want to pay for a service call when it is an intermittent problem.

I tried to take a video several years ago, here:

It's real hard to see, as the video frame rate makes it hard to see.

- Todd
www.toddlbauerle.com

post #11496 of 11498 Old 04-21-2017, 11:27 PM

I assume no one can discern the flicker on that video?

- Todd
www.toddlbauerle.com

post #11497 of 11498 Old 08-24-2017, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It's been over 6 months and closer to 7 months. I think I hit pay dirt as my $20 generic lamp is still going strong. The backup for the backup is still sitting in the box. For a $120 Mitsubishi lamp I am in for around $60.
post #11498 of 11498 Old 08-24-2017, 08:58 AM

I wanted to let everyone know that the new lamp flickering stopped probably a few months ago. I don't even know when that happened. But, this is the third time it has happened in correlation with a new bulb. Maybe other people just don't see the problem.

So, if anyone else has the experience after changing the ball, that the screen seems to Flickr, be patient for several months, maybe two at most… And see if it doesn't work. The first two bulbs were genuine Mitsubishi, and the third from the link I posted above. Each of the results were the same.

- Todd
www.toddlbauerle.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page