2009 Mitsubishi Owners Thread (C9/737/837) - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1651 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Member
 
kmh71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anybody had any experience with the 3d option of these new tvs yet? Where do you buy the glasses that are compatible with these new sets? Or is this just a mits. gimmick since the 3d home specs havent even been finalized yet? What do you think the chances are of Mits. being able to upgrade these via firmware updates to be fully functional with the final specs for 3d?
kmh71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1652 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHitachi View Post

Tried bluray on HDMI, looks same, same stripe. 'Thought maybe it was closed caption, but it's a little high on the screen, went to menu and set it to off anyway, no change.
Turned TV off, as it powers down and picture disappears, shows Mit's screen, still there. After Mit's gone, still there faintly. Same when powering up. Like I said earlier, it wasn't there at initial power on, came after a few minutes.

In the menu items there is a 'reset all' , have tried that?
...Oops I guess you already tried that. Boy it almost looks like a sync/refresh problem....sorta like you got the PAL European one instead of the US model.
dreaux is offline  
post #1653 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Member
 
ktm125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakko_68 View Post

The PS3 does do analog audio but it's stereo only and you'll need to attach the SCART cable. For 7.1 analog, though, I think you're out of luck short of some sort of external DAC device.

P

I only have stereo setup, so I can use the SCART cable for analog sound out to the pre-amp and use the HDMI for video to the TV...thanks!
ktm125 is offline  
post #1654 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsman View Post

The reason I have been asking about this is because I have a WD 73835 that needs to be replaced. I have been waiting for the WD 82837 to come into Best Buy. But the difference in price is $2000. I moved up from a WD65835 and the 73" was a noticeable difference. My seating is about 17' from the screen.

Basically I could swap the WD73835 for a WD73837 for nothing out of pocket. Or I could swap the 73 for the 82 for $2000. Obviously this would not be worth it unless there is a big difference. Since I have not been able to see the 82" it is hard to judge. Of course I could buy another 55" TV for the $2000 I would save by not going for the 82" Heck for $3000 I could get an Epson 6500UB setup. Man, I just don't know what to do.

Maybe taking another look at the 82 and 73 specs in width and height again will help.
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/theater.html
dreaux is offline  
post #1655 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bama29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dreaux,

Were you pleased with the results of the DVE calibration that you did? Do you have an ETA of when the pics of your results might be available? Inquiring minds want to know
Bama29 is offline  
post #1656 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Member
 
ktm125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I read thru all 50+ pages on this thread trying to decide on which TV to get (took about 4 hours). Wanted the Samsung HL-67A750 because of the LED but since I could only find it for $3000, I bought the WD-73837 based on this thread.

Wow, 50+ pages and no arguments...

Places to buy:

1. On-line: US Appliance had the best price (2200) that I could find but I wanted to deal local and see the box and deliver it myself.

2. Fry's: seemed like the best place but none here in the SE

3. HHGregg: next best choice and there's one here in Chattannoga

They had the set tagged for 20% off and I got it for 2100 (new set)

Stand:

1. Tech Craft: they had these stands for around $100

Didn't like that the bottom shelf was not on the floor, but raised, and my amp weights 80 lbs... plus I wanted my pre-amp on the bottom also.

2. Mits MB-S73A: $500 retail and could not find it discounted online.

The had it for $320 and it's the exact width of the TV and the bottom shelf is on the floor. The mid shelf is glass and can be placed at different heights. I'm going to add a center support to make the glass shelf more sturdy as it's a little flimsy. The best part though is that the top has a slot that the base of the TV slides into and the back has a metal support that screws into the TV and also the stand.

Payment:

Used the Mits card with no interest and payments for 12 months, but I will make monthly payments and have it payed off in one year from now.

Warranty:

Got 5 yrs for $399 which includes bulbs. Bulbs have to burn out but they do have a performance degrade clause, don't know if that will work for a dimmed bulb or not. I got it becasue if they can't fix the TV then you get your money back.

In home:

Read thru the manual before setup and plugged the Dishnetwork and PS3 using HDMI. Turned on the Dish and then the TV and had picture and sound. Watched a Blu-Ray movie with out of the box settings and it was amazing.

So glad my room is too narrow for the 82...this was enough money spent.

Problems I read about in this thread:

1. The geometry seems perfect as the menus have straight edges.

2. No noise from the set at all.

3. The bighter spots on the image bleed into the black bars a little, but I don't think I would have noticed if I hadn't read about it here. Not a problem for me all all.

Calibration:

1. For now I will use the settings that I've seen in this thread.

2. Posted in the Caibration forum and got a reply from Doug in St. Louis at Clearly Resolved and he will be in my area in Sept. He informed me to get 100-150 hours on the bulb before the calibration.

Thanks to all here who contributed to this thread because I wouldn't bought this TV and got a great price without you!!!!
ktm125 is offline  
post #1657 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bama29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm125 View Post

I read thru all 50+ pages on this thread trying to decide on which TV to get (took about 4 hours). Wanted the Samsung HL-67A750 because of the LED but since I could only find it for $3000, I bought the WD-73837 based on this thread.

Wow, 50+ pages and no arguments...

Places to buy:

1. On-line: US Appliance had the best price (2200) that I could find but I wanted to deal local and see the box and deliver it myself.

2. Fry's: seemed like the best place but none here in the SE

3. HHGregg: next best choice and there's one here in Chattannoga

They had the set tagged for 20% off and I got it for 2100 (new set)

Stand:

1. Tech Craft: they had these stands for around $100

Didn't like that the bottom shelf was not on the floor, but raised, and my amp weights 80 lbs... plus I wanted my pre-amp on the bottom also.

2. Mits MB-S73A: $500 retail and could not find it discounted online.

The had it for $320 and it's the exact width of the TV and the bottom shelf is on the floor. The mid shelf is glass and can be placed at different heights. I'm going to add a center support to make the glass shelf more sturdy as it's a little flimsy. The best part though is that the top has a slot that the base of the TV slides into and the back has a metal support that screws into the TV and also the stand.

Payment:

Used the Mits card with no interest and payments for 12 months, but I will make monthly payments and have it payed off in one year from now.

Warranty:

Got 5 yrs for $399 which includes bulbs. Bulbs have to burn out but they do have a performance degrade clause, don't know if that will work for a dimmed bulb or not. I got it becasue if they can't fix the TV then you get your money back.

In home:

Read thru the manual before setup and plugged the Dishnetwork and PS3 using HDMI. Turned on the Dish and then the TV and had picture and sound. Watched a Blu-Ray movie with out of the box settings and it was amazing.

So glad my room is too narrow for the 82...this was enough money spent.

Problems I read about in this thread:

1. The geometry seems perfect as the menus have straight edges.

2. No noise from the set at all.

3. The bighter spots on the image bleed into the black bars a little, but I don't think I would have noticed if I hadn't read about it here. Not a problem for me all all.

Calibration:

1. For now I will use the settings that I've seen in this thread.

2. Posted in the Caibration forum and got a reply from Doug in St. Louis at Clearly Resolved and he will be in my area in Sept. He informed me to get 100-150 hours on the bulb before the calibration.

Thanks to all here who contributed to this thread because I wouldn't bought this TV and got a great price without you!!!!

Congratulations on your purchase! Now if I could just make up my mind...
Bama29 is offline  
post #1658 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Impala1ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Regarding prices. I've had my 73837 for about 2-3 weeks now and it is great. I got it, the Mitsu 73"stand, the 5 year warranty, hdmi cable, and 6.1% tax, for $2900 +change. Seems like a great deal.
Impala1ss is offline  
post #1659 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
 
joikd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsman View Post

The reason I have been asking about this is because I have a WD 73835 that needs to be replaced. I have been waiting for the WD 82837 to come into Best Buy. But the difference in price is $2000. I moved up from a WD65835 and the 73" was a noticeable difference. My seating is about 17' from the screen.

Basically I could swap the WD73835 for a WD73837 for nothing out of pocket. Or I could swap the 73 for the 82 for $2000. Obviously this would not be worth it unless there is a big difference. Since I have not been able to see the 82" it is hard to judge. Of course I could buy another 55" TV for the $2000 I would save by not going for the 82" Heck for $3000 I could get an Epson 6500UB setup. Man, I just don't know what to do.

At 17' if I had the money, I would definately look hard at the 82".
joikd is offline  
post #1660 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stew4msu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Wylie, Texas, USA
Posts: 7,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
At 17', my 126" screen appears small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Which is the better deal:

65737 - $1298.00
65837 - $1599.00

Pulled the trigger on the 65837 today, now I'll just keep my fingers crossed on the delivery.

Anyone have experience with 6th ave curb side? How long it takes, etc.?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Stew4msu is offline  
post #1661 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 AM
 
lwright84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I saw the Mitsu stand @ Fry's and it looks cheap, cramped, and barely sufficient. Did I see the wrong one? I see a lot of people here have it or even recommend it. Is that because it's cost effective? I feel like I'm missing something or thinking of the wrong product.
lwright84 is offline  
post #1662 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29 View Post

Dreaux,

Were you pleased with the results of the DVE calibration that you did? Do you have an ETA of when the pics of your results might be available? Inquiring minds want to know

Yes I was pleased with the DVE calibration, and the picture looks great!
I have not gone into the advanced settings and I may try that when I have more time. It looks like I almost need a calibrator to do that, but once its set it becomes another of the settings...as in Brilliant , bright, natural and advanced.
I will put up some pics today I hope but pictures dont always show the real picture quality.
(I should say this is my 3rd attempt in finding a picture quality and size in a set I want....the other 2 I returned--The new Samsung PN63B590 63in plasma and the Panasonic Viera TH-65PZ850U 65in. plasma. I thought plasma would give me the best PQ but I was not happy until I got the Mits 82837. My neighbor has the new Samsung LCD/LED 55in. 8000 and it looks good but only if you are running very high quality HD source. The Mit 72837/82837 is the most pleasing to my eye. Buts thats just my personal opinion.
dreaux is offline  
post #1663 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

At 17', my 126" screen appears small.



Pulled the trigger on the 65837 today, now I'll just keep my fingers crossed on the delivery.

Anyone have experience with 6th ave curb side? How long it takes, etc.?

Yeah I used 6th ave and there we pretty quick. The truck people will call you, I gave the driver a $20 and he helped me carry it in and set up.
dreaux is offline  
post #1664 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala1ss View Post

Regarding prices. I've had my 73837 for about 2-3 weeks now and it is great. I got it, the Mitsu 73"stand, the 5 year warranty, hdmi cable, and 6.1% tax, for $2900 +change. Seems like a great deal.

Super deal!!
dreaux is offline  
post #1665 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Stew4msu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Wylie, Texas, USA
Posts: 7,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Yeah I used 6th ave and there we pretty quick. The truck people will call you, I gave the driver a $20 and he helped me carry it in and set up.

I'm hoping they're not too quick as I'm going out of town next week and won't be able to receive it until the following Monday or Tuesday.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Stew4msu is offline  
post #1666 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Member
 
mrecool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey group. I was wondering. I am a real fan of video games and I have all the systems Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Sega 32X, Sega Saturn, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, PlayStation 1, and regarding all these classic consoles I was wandering:
How do they perform on these 837 Mitsubishi's and 835 Diamond sets? I mean I had a LCD Toshiba Full HD and those classic games looked horrible on that LCD HDTV. I mean the blur and the pixellation was crap. Take Mortal Kombat 1 on SNES it made the characters look like they were made out of squares. And Tomb Raider 1 for PS1 she had no face just squares. So I have researched and found these new Mitsubishi's have 120 hetz for no blurr and Plush 1080p for upscaling Standard Def to high def.So I was wondering if the SNES games and the Playstaion 1 and Saturn Games look good on these new tv's? I mean do they really get up scaled and no blur or pixellation?

Also I was wanting the 835 Diamond cause of the S-Video Input on the back and I noticed the new 837 does not have the S-Video or the Composite Video so I would have to buy a 92 dollar upscale device off of Ebay to convert my S-video Saturn and N64 and SNES up to Component Video.


My questions are.
#1 Do SNES, PS1, Saturn, N64 and those consoles look awesome and up scaled on the new 835 and 837 sets?

#2 Do you think buying the 837 and getting the extra 100 dollar S-Video/Composite Video 720p up scaler would improve the games even better?

#3 Also Seeing how the 837 has improved Plush 1080p is that DLP the better to buy for these old systems?

Please reply. I'm confused.
mrecool is offline  
post #1667 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Darin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joikd View Post

At 17' if I had the money, I would definately look hard at the 82".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

At 17', my 126" screen appears small.

Agreed... at 17', I would do front projection if at all possible. Something between 125-130" would be a good size. But if you don't have a dark room, I'd get as close as possible with the 82".
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrecool View Post

How do they perform on these 837 Mitsubishi's and 835 Diamond sets? I mean I had a LCD Toshiba Full HD and those classic games looked horrible on that LCD HDTV. I mean the blur and the pixellation was crap.

I have last year's model, and not the Diamond, but I can tell you you shouldn't have any problems with blur. DLP is a relatively "fast" technology. Pixelization, however, may be a problem with blowing 640x480 up to large sizes. The only gaming we do on ours is via the PS3, and most of those games are 720p. Everything gets passed through a Reon equipped receiver, which is a pretty decent scaler, so the TV never sees anything but 1080p. I can say that gaming looks great on my setup, hopefully someone else can give you a better idea about internal scaling of 480 based games.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Darin is offline  
post #1668 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
happy nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dreaux,

Have you posted your settings?

Is your Contrast cranked up high?

I just purchased the DVE HD Basics on Blu-Ray, and their test pattern would seem to indicate using maximum contrast of 63 on my 837, because there's no clipping of near-black or near-white steps with it maxed out. But I've never used this before so maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Hello Bama, Geo, Darin, Everyone Else.

One day at a time...
happy nightmares is offline  
post #1669 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Member
 
mrecool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm, so PS1 is displayed in 480 and blowing it up to a 1080 screen makes the picture all distorted aye?

Well jee golly now I need to figure out how to make these classic games get blown up to the 1080 and not look so bad.

Hmm, well the bright side is I do have the PS3 and Dreamcast and Game Cube and XBOX 1 so they all can look great on this DLP with no Pixellation and distortion cause I believe they support a lot of 480p games.

Dream Cast with the VGA adapter and the Component cables for the PS2 and XBOX

Just how am I gonna be able to make Saturn, PS1 and SNES look good on these huge screans?

I can't believe with this new Technology that these games have to stick to a Standard Definition Box set.

Either way, I believe that DLP is the best for gaming with the no burn in and no blur.

I just figured that with over a grand and Plush 1080p it would make those 480i games look awesome.

Jee Golly Wolly. I'm still gonna get my DLP.

But I have one more question. I am leaning toward's the 835 Diamond and the 837 set's right.
Now the 835 diamond has been discontinued and I can only get the floor model. I don't know how much bulb life it has and all that because they want to sell me their display model cause it's their last one. But the 835 Diamond offers the S-Video input which is ideal for my old games like N64, Game Cube, Super Nintendo and such.

I want the 837 cause it's supposed to be improved on Dark Detailer and Plush 1080p and all that.
But this 837 set does not have the S-Video input's and only does the component and HDMI.

QUESTION
Which set is better for old games and new games from Dreamcast to PS3 the Used Diamond 835 with the S-Video or the brand new 837 2009 mode that I would have to convert my S-Video to component cable to be able to use my old games?

Which tv is the Winner? 835 cause it's Diamond and has Dynamic Detailer or the 837 cause it is newer and more improved?

65 inch model
mrecool is offline  
post #1670 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bama29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy nightmares View Post

Dreaux,

Have you posted your settings?

Is your Contrast cranked up high?

I just purchased the DVE HD Basics on Blu-Ray, and their test pattern would seem to indicate using maximum contrast of 63 on my 837, because there's no clipping of near-black or near-white steps with it maxed out. But I've never used this before so maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Hello Bama, Geo, Darin, Everyone Else.

Hey Happy,

Here is a fairly good explanation of setting contrast that I plucked from elsewhere on this site:

"Use the grayscale sweep/bar pattern in DVE ... the one with 5% bars going left to right from bright to dark ... and vice versa.

The dotted lines near the white represent 100% white and 105% white ... closer to the outside edge. Increase contrast until the bars start to disappear ... and all blend into the same big white bar.

When this happens ...you have gone too far. This is called white crush/clipping. You lose detail if you don't fix this.

If you can see all the individual bars ... move onto the next step.

Discoloration.

Do the white bars look pink to you? Or red? If so ... then lower contrast even further until the discoloration goes away.

Once you have found this point ... you have the maximum usable contrast setting ... max light output with max detail.

Next up is eye fatigue factors ...

If a 100% white window box pattern now gives you a headache to look at it ... then the contrast is still too bright for your eyes. You need to take it down further and this part is completely subjective.

Depends on how you feel and the time of day ... amongst other factors.

Mind you ... too high contrast often negatively affectst gamma curve performance of the TV ... but you need instrumentation to figure this last part out."

Also a lot are not aware that AVS has a great "Free" resource that you can download and burn to a DVD to calibrate your set with. The "AVS HD 709" calibration patterns. Some are animated and very good. I actually prefer the AVS disk to set contrast over DVE however both used together help a lot.

The link for the AVS disk is:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
Bama29 is offline  
post #1671 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Darin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrecool View Post

Hmm, so PS1 is displayed in 480 and blowing it up to a 1080 screen makes the picture all distorted aye?

I wouldn't say it makes it look all distorted, there's just a limit to how good a low resolution source can look when you're viewing it at a decent size from a relatively close distance.

Quote:


Which tv is the Winner? 835 cause it's Diamond and has Dynamic Detailer or the 837 cause it is newer and more improved?

At the same or similar price, I'd take the newer one. But for a decent discount, I'd take the 835. I don't know how much noticeable "improvement" there is in the video processing functions of the new model. For your specific use, the s-video input of the older models may help a bit with with SD sources, but probably not enough to let that be a determining factor. I say go with whatever is the better deal, but if the 835 is a floor model, I would expect a pretty decent discount over the 837. I'd probably also ask for a spare bulb.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Darin is offline  
post #1672 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Member
 
mrecool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Who's seen the 3d and where to get the glasses.

Reply.
Yea buddy; I have seen the 3d at Ultimate Electronics.
They had the 3d hooked up to the 82inch 837 monster.
And boy howdy! Yep it's new, it's cool, and oh my gosh forget about those old red and green glasses of the past.

Well lets see. Let me describe. The 3d is totally emerisve and it makes you feel like you are there.
The demo was about 10 minutes long and it was so cool I had my peeps come see it too.

The demo included scenes from games, movie clips, and animated films like Ice Age.
Games included Burn out Paradise, Tomb Raider Underworld to name a few.

The 82 inch screen was pretty dark compared to the 72 inch one standing next to it but maybe it was just the Demo. I turned up the brightness and the Contrast was all the way up. Don't know what setting it was on as far as Brilliant or Natural.
But the experience was still an awesome one.

With 3d it gives you the feel that you are there man.
Like in it to win it. Like in Tomb Raider you see Lora walking and you feel like you are right beside her. Like if she walks from behind the screen and from behind to the front of you you feel like you were right beside her. The Squid Boss oh my gosh, the tentacles reach out of the screen and almost touch you. Ha ha and that War Craft game, a guy with a sword standing in front of you, his sword you could swear is touching your chest and the 82 inch TV is 5 feet in front of you. Their glasses had cables attaced so you could not scoot back very far.

Um the movies, they had a sky diving demo that made me dizzy. I mean not sick of the glasses or anything but dizzy like I was up in the sky actually sky diving man.

I mean you are a camera man and you watch all these sky divers jump out of a plane and you feel like you are one of them. You get a real depth perception to the effect that you actually feel like you are in the air man. Isn't that freaking cool?

Aye man remember when Virtual Reality was all hype but it never really happened and stuck?
Well now this is it. 3d is it. I mean you put on these shades which are just like normal shades with just a regular looking lense except they turn into like Virtual Reality goggles man.

What a great toy. Speaking of Toys. The glasses were from NVidia so search NVidia 3d and find the site. They sell them and you have to order them.

They come in a box with a device that actually lets you calibrate the actual depth of the 3d you want. Say you don't want full 3d and can only handle slight visuals there you go it's adjustable.

From what I understand there is even a 3d converter device that converts the 2d material to 3d but I think that is just for PC's. Like the PC's have to have the new Nvidia 8800 and above graffix cards to display 3d and I think they up convert your 2D games. You tube has it all just type Nvidia 3d and watch the movie.

There you go. 3d is here and it is hot you want to be in the movie? Want to be in the game? Well my people get 3d and we are there man.

Oh yea for you gamers. I seen this displayed on a multy pllayer PC game I believe multy player like Call of Duty. Say you want to play 2 player right but you don't want the split screen? Well with those 3d glasses and the DLP 3d you can both be watching the game through the glasses playing the same game but no split screen you both have your own screen. PS3 and Microsoft both are getting into the 3d realm so be looking forward for them to implement that 2 player single screen aspect as well. Isn't that the coolest? No more split screen 2 player. Just put on a pair of shades and it's your own screen man. Wow I need to get me some of those toys.

Wow go get ya some 3d folks. DLP is re born.
mrecool is offline  
post #1673 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Member
 
mrecool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea the 65inch 837 tax and all is 2,878.75 with 4 year Warranty and free Delivery.

The 835 Diamond 65inch tax and all is 2,509 with a 4 year warranty. So get the 835 with a free bulb aye?

Well since you know your stuff I figure I will go with the 835 Diamond. I mean it is the last Diamond and stuff. Wonder why they didn't do a diamond this year? I mean why not just call the 837 a diamond and I wonder why they didn't put Dynamic Contrast in these 837 sets?

Any how, I can't wait to get my DLP and scope out the 3d stuff maing.
I got to say honestly in a side by side, between the 835 Diamond, 82 inch 837 and 72 inch 837 with all on the same HD feed, the Diamond looked brighter.

Maybe that's cause the Dark Detailer was better on the 837 though? Either way, I want the 82 inch 837 too which I will get next. But yea the 835 Diamond if I can get the free bulb is the first one I will get.

Aye Darin thanks again.
mrecool is offline  
post #1674 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29 View Post

Dreaux,

Were you pleased with the results of the DVE calibration that you did? Do you have an ETA of when the pics of your results might be available? Inquiring minds want to know

Here are the settings I am using after my DVE calibration
Pic Mode---Brilliant
Contrast---50
Brightness---31
Color---31
Tint---31
Sharpness---21
Color temp---High
Video noise---Med
Sharp edge---on
Deepfield Imager---on

Global
Film mode---auto
Smooth 120Hz---on

Pics of 82837------(I tend to like bright color settings with 'pop').
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
dreaux is offline  
post #1675 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bama29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Here are the settings I am using after my DVE calibration
Pic Mode---Brilliant
Contrast---50
Brightness---31
Color---31
Tint---31
Sharpness---21
Color temp---High
Video noise---Med
Sharp edge---on
Deepfield Imager---on

Global
Film mode---auto
Smooth 120Hz---on

Pics of 82837------(I tend to like bright color settings with 'pop').

You have it looking very nice! Thanks for sharing...
Bama29 is offline  
post #1676 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Member
 
BadHitachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dreaux, looks great, maybe I can get mine calibrated later to look that good, provided I can get one that lasts more than 5 minutes.
BadHitachi is offline  
post #1677 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
Bama29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
We can blame Happy, Dreaux, VegasRph, Geo, Darin, & Everyone Else.

I just placed an order for a WD-73837 from ABT. They did the price match thing and it should be shipping Monday. The wait begins

Seriously, thanks all for answering many questions and showing a great amount of patience.
Bama29 is offline  
post #1678 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 02:29 PM
 
lwright84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrecool View Post

Well jee golly now I need to figure out how to make these classic games get blown up to the 1080 and not look so bad.

Won't ever happen, sorry. The limited native resolution and amount of pixels inherent to those sources physically prohibit that from ever being a tangible reality. They will always look terrible @ 1080p or even 720p.
lwright84 is offline  
post #1679 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 02:29 PM
 
lwright84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29 View Post

We can blame Happy, Dreaux, VegasRph, Geo, Darin, & Everyone Else.

I just placed an order for a WD-73837 from ABT. They did the price match thing and it should be shipping Monday. The wait begins

Seriously, thanks all for answering many questions and showing a great amount of patience.

Pics or it didn't happen.
lwright84 is offline  
post #1680 of 11265 Old 08-01-2009, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama29 View Post

We can blame Happy, Dreaux, VegasRph, Geo, Darin, & Everyone Else.

I just placed an order for a WD-73837 from ABT. They did the price match thing and it should be shipping Monday. The wait begins

Seriously, thanks all for answering many questions and showing a great amount of patience.

You won't be sorry!
dreaux is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off