2Likes

post #181 of 11282 Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009mitsubishi View Post

My 65732 had "Sharp Edge" and you could see a huge difference...say on ESPN scores icons....it would make the white lines POP OUT more. Really bold!
(I typically would not use it...but it was nice...sometimes.)

However, I am going through the settings on my 65837 and there is NO difference at all....toggling on/off "Sharp Edge"...I mean none.

Can someone check their 60737 or 65737 or 65837 and see if your "Sharp Edge" works.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

I can barely tell the difference. My old 62725 was a big difference. I didn't use it though and mine is currently off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 11282 Old 06-02-2009, 10:58 PM

Thanks for the "Sharp Edge" reply. Yeah, not a big deal since I hardly ever use it....I'm just wondering what else doesn't work though.

I know we can toggle on/off "Smooth 120hz"
But, I see no difference in that watching a fast hockey game etc...

Thanks for your reply though.

Enjoy the TV!

I can't get my PS3 working with my receiver (HDMI not switching right)
But, I did get it to work going directly into the TV.
Blu-Ray looks really nice!!!!

Not sure what to do with this receiver issue.
post #183 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:

I can't get my PS3 working with my receiver (HDMI not switching right)
But, I did get it to work going directly into the TV.
Blu-Ray looks really nice!!!!

Not sure what to do with this receiver issue.

Do you know which spec of HDMI your receiver has? It sounds like it and the new Mits might be having trouble handshaking because of CEC problems. I believe your old 732 had HDMI 1.2 connections so this wouldn't have been an issue. But the 837, like your PS3, has HDMI 1.3a so it will attempt to establish CEC compatiblity if it's getting a flag from your receiver. See if there's an option on your receiver called "HDMI Control" or something similar and make sure it's OFF.

If that doesn't help then make sure you've got a certified Category 2 HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV. An older CAT-1 cable that works fine going from source to display will sometimes not get the job done when it has to send a repeated 1080p signal from a newer AV receiver - as I learned after months of frustration!

Good luck!
post #184 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 03:03 AM

Have any of you 2009 owners noticed if Mits brought back the option for customized input labels to NetCommand? I used to have a 73927 and one thing I really liked was the ability to name each input with any eight character combination you wanted. But in the 73833 I have now I'm limited to their generic presets.
post #185 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwells View Post

Got mine in today too - around 5 pm. Out of the box, the TV was in Brilliant mode with contrast all the way up. Changed it to Natural and lowered the contrast a little, but haven't messed with it to much as of now.

The remote is total crap. No backlighting and the tiny buttons around the "enter" for navigation key are barely noticeable. Also, in a cost saving move for Mits, they no longer include Net Command IR emitters to control other devices. No big deal for me since I have a Pronto, but why have a TV with Net Command if you have to order the parts from Mits.

Lots of settings within the ISF cal area such as H and V positions, Deepfield Imiager, Super Resolution (no idea what that is), as well as other typical color and gamma corrections. (see pic 5).

Picture looks very good with HD via DirecTV on HDMI. Haven't played the Wii yet nor watched a DVD (no blu-ray player yet).

My biggest issue thus far is that the picture bows in the upper left corner. Pic 3 shows it well. I didn't see any tilt corrections available so I guess I'll have to poke around in the 2008 model thread to see if there are corrections that I can attempt.

** Pics taken with 2MP camera phone. Actual picture looks much better. The menu seen in pic 5 is not blurry at all.

Wow that geometry is bad. Can that be fixed?
post #186 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My 65732 had "Sharp Edge" and you could see a huge difference...say on ESPN scores icons....it would make the white lines POP OUT more. Really bold!
(I typically would not use it...but it was nice...sometimes.)

However, I am going through the settings on my 65837 and there is NO difference at all....toggling on/off "Sharp Edge"...I mean none.

Can someone check their 60737 or 65737 or 65837 and see if your "Sharp Edge" works.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

On my 60737 I certainly see a difference with SharpEdge on SD sources pretty clearly. Particularly hair, clothes creases, and text. On HD sources it seems limited to text boxes on screen, but those are pretty obvious. For instance, right now I'm watching CNN's HD morning show and they've got weather boxes for various cities on the outside of both edges of the screen (outside the 4:3 "safe" area --probably designed that way on purpose to use the same base feed for SD and HD). The lines around those boxes definitely "pop" with SharpEdge on. The MORE button on the remote allows toggling back/forth on the individual video settings without going thru the main menu to make it easier to see the difference.

Glad you got your PS3 working directly at least. With four HDMI on the set itself (my old 62725 only has one HDMI, so a switching receiver isn't just a convenience but a must) that may only be a small annoyance unless you have video upscaling on the receiver that is better than what the TV itself provides with Plush1080. Tho obviously it is annoying when something doesn't work that should, and any reason to use the Mits remote less often is a good reason. . .
post #187 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I think the new "jade menus" are nice to look at (very Samsung ish)...but between them and the HORRIBLE remote....it's kind of an adventure....I can't imagine how it's going to be at night. I've never really thought much about remotes in the past and my 65732 remote was nothing amazing....but it was red-back lit and had each individual function buttons. Nice TV but this remote is seriously getting comical now. I have small fingers too.

HDMI problems still....

I have tried all 4 HDMI's for my PS3 and the TV is cycling through a blue and black screen and will not stay put on the PS3????
I am starting to get a bit annoyed. I'm not liking this "auto detection"
HDMI works fine with my Cable box and worked fine with my 65732...so it's not my PS3.

You can turn off the "blue" accent light under the screen (in case anyone was wondering)

Overall, seems to be a nice picture with my HD channels.

Enjoy!

(throws remote at the wall)

The remote would be a non-factor for most because a universal remote would be used to control the set and other components.
post #188 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

It seems that many manufacturers are taking the inexpensive route with their remotes these days, so the after-market remote business must be having an effect. Perhaps they assume most people have already invested in a good 'universal' remote (like the Harmony from Logitech which has taken over the world).

P.S. - georule, I owe you one. It's coming. I just need to think of something 'smart' to say.

One day at a time...
post #189 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

Wow that geometry is bad. Can that be fixed?

I sure hope so, cause that might be a show-stopper for me.
post #190 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Too bad I don't have HDNET here to try that with. The DVE test pattern doesn't show anything like that on my 60737. A bit of overscan but no bowing. I wonder if that's specific to that particular set, or possibly the 65" model in general.
post #191 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know about the 2009 units, but on the 2008 units, geometry correction is turned on by default, and many of us turned it off because it eliminates 1:1 pixel mapping, adversely affecting resolution. If that is the "native" geometry of that set, I would look into having it exchanged. I wouldn't want the geometry electronically "fixed", because of the compromises. That's worse than my '08 with geometry correction disabled, and I thought the 2009 would have better geometry due to the deeper cabinets.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #192 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 AM

I haven't seen anything in the menu's with regard to geometry correction nor the ability to turn it on or off.

What I have noticed, however, is the frame around the screen is pretty weak imo. I can push and pull around the upper left corner and it corrects the problem. If I pull out on the bottom left and push in on the top left, it corrects itself. Trouble is getting it to stay that way. So to me it looks like an issue with the frame rather than the electronics. I read through some of the 2008 threads and numerous others had the same issue.

Watching normal tv both SD and HD it is a non-issue. It's a little noticeable when the program guide is up from DirecTV, but I have yet to notice it during an actual broadcast.
post #193 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georule View Post

Too bad I don't have HDNET here to try that with. The DVE test pattern doesn't show anything like that on my 60737. A bit of overscan but no bowing. I wonder if that's specific to that particular set, or possibly the 65" model in general.

You can pull up a test pattern from your Mits service menu. Hit MENU, then 2 4 5 7, then 0 (zero). scroll down to Manual Geometry and hit enter. You get some lines but I haven't figured out a way to adjust anything yet.
post #194 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So to me it looks like an issue with the frame rather than the electronics.

You may try seeing if shimming under different feet affect it. It could even be an issue with your stand not having a flat surface (which could even be caused by your floor, depending on the design of your stand).

HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #195 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What I have noticed, however, is the frame around the screen is pretty weak imo. I can push and pull around the upper left corner and it corrects the problem. If I pull out on the bottom left and push in on the top left, it corrects itself.

Hmmm... do you think it's so sensitive, unpacking and setting up caused it? Maybe just a little pressure on that super-thin frame can throw things off?

Good luck BK. I hope you get it fixed or replaced. You deserve a set without the issue.

I will definitely be extra careful when unpacking mine, and check the test pattern after setting it up. This will be my first DLP, and I must admit these frames do look fragile to me. It's a little bit scary to be completely honest.

One day at a time...
post #196 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, as I've said, my 2004 62" weighs 165lbs. This 2009 60" weighs 65lbs. It didn't all come out of the electronics.
post #197 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can pull up a test pattern from your Mits service menu. Hit MENU, then 2 4 5 7, then 0 (zero). scroll down to Manual Geometry and hit enter. You get some lines but I haven't figured out a way to adjust anything yet.

Thanks. Yeah, the upper left corner is a little bit tweaked. Not wavy as your HDNET shot upstream, and higher towards the corner, but noticeable using the Mits test pattern. On the left near the top, the yellow and green lines are in a little further towards the middle of the set than they are towards the bottom. On the upper border near the left edge the yellow line is at the top edge and the green and magenta lines are off the edge. Some of that might be overscan, as I haven't tried to force it out of that.
post #198 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Thanks. Yeah, the upper left corner is a little bit tweaked. Not quite as wavy as yours upstream, but noticeable.

Here's a shot of mine taken a few minutes ago:
LL
post #199 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you have overscan turned off? It looks like it to me. I don't know how to do that.
post #200 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Do you have overscan turned off? It looks like it to me. I don't know how to do that.

Don't know - and I haven't seen it in the settings either.
post #201 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Just got off the phone with Mits and emailed them the picture I took. They say they will call me back in a day or two.
post #202 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 AM

How did you get those test bars to show up?? I have had the 60737 for a month and half now

post #203 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmason View Post

How did you get those test bars to show up?? I have had the 60737 for a month and half now

Post 193
post #204 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't know - and I haven't seen it in the settings either.

Here's mine from the 60737. You can see that yellow cross is lined up pretty good with the corner for height, but pulled in a tad to the right for left/right.
LL
post #205 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
so did the company cheapen up the framework of the set then to get the weight down? i know the bottom 10 inches or so from the 1st gen like mine got eliminated and same with the 1 or 2 inch black bezel around the screen got shrunken down quite a bit which would affect the screen in some way. I'll still buy one if i can but will keep this in mind for the geometry part.

Pioneer Elite SC-05
JBL Studio S310 fronts, JBL Studio S26II's mid and S36's rear.
Epik Sentinel subwoofer
Slim PS3
Oppo BDP-103
BenQ W7500
post #206 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 PM

Well I just went and checked my lines and other than the curve at the top all my lines were straight down the sides and where they cross in the middle. very weird to see that pictures above

post #207 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a shot of mine taken a few minutes ago:

Hey, man. . . try moving that speaker away from the side of the TV by a foot or two and see if that does anything. . . I just realized that bulge is suspiciously placed relative to the speaker. I'm thinking maybe there is a magnetic shielding issue there. . .
post #208 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

DLPs aren't generally susceptible to speaker magnetism. That's an issue specific to CRTs.

post #209 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Here's mine from the 60737. You can see that yellow cross is lined up pretty good with the corner for height, but pulled in a tad to the right for left/right.

That's not bad at all. I don't think that would bother me. Mine is pulled in by at least 5/8th of an inch. It's not that noticeable while watching TV/DVD's, but when pulling up the program guide or watching 4:3 material with the black bars on the sides, it very noticeable.
post #210 of 11282 Old 06-03-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Hey, man. . . try moving that speaker away from the side of the TV by a foot or two and see if that does anything. . . I just realized that bulge is suspiciously placed relative to the speaker. I'm thinking maybe there is a magnetic shielding issue there. . .

Thanks, but it's not the speaker. Otherwise it would have also done it on the right side. But just to make sure, I moved the speaker out of the way and didn't help.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page