Mitsubishi 2007 (and possibility '06 & '08) lens cleaning procedure. No more halo's. - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 388 Old 05-23-2012, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer1988 View Post

LATE UPDATE: I got the TV tore apart, replaced the DLP chip and cleaned everything up and made sure all my fans were working. TV looks brilliant. My bulb was kinda dim so I replaced it with a cheap Amazon bulb... My mistake... It popped... twice... Now the guy is telling me it has to be my TV. Put the old OSRAM original dim bulb back in and no problems.... Ordering a NEW OSRAM e22h 150/180 bulb and hopefully that will solve the problem.

New bulb, solved all problems. It is like new and can't be happier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 388 Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 104
You do realize the first 300-400 hours is the break-in period for those lamps? Light output will drop dynamically.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #333 of 388 Old 05-25-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

You do realize the first 300-400 hours is the break-in period for those lamps? Light output will drop dynamically.

Yes. I do know of the break-in period, but I am still happy that the bulb has lasted longer than 40 hours, lol. I have about 200 hours on this one and just in case I have the old bulb.
post #334 of 388 Old 05-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

anyone have a pic of what the halo affect looks like?

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 65" 1080p display ... home theater coming soon!

post #335 of 388 Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 AM

Liked: 12
post #336 of 388 Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 PM

Well, it took a while to build up the guts to do this myself, but I did it. All I can say is WOW!! Took it right back to the way it looked when my wife and I bought it 6 years ago. I too would like to know why Mits won't acknowledge that this is something they're ultimately responsible for as it's just not something that should happen to a set this expensive unless it's a design flaw. Mine was also kinda caked on, and took a bit to remove. I'll post a pic of mine as well. Also, I counted more than 17 screws. 19 I think! Otherwise, excellent job of illustrating what needs to be done. Followed it to the letter. Took about an hour. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
post #337 of 388 Old 05-29-2012, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Glad it worked. As long as all 19 went back where they came.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #338 of 388 Old 08-25-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Is there a way you can tell this from just looking at the iris externally? I have to take the light engine off to replace the dmd chip with a TV that I bought off craigslist and would rather do it while I have it apart instead of tearing it apart again...

Thank you!
post #339 of 388 Old 08-26-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is there a way you can tell this from just looking at the iris externally?
No.
Since you are replacing the DMD assembly, you might as do the lens cleaning. I assume this TV you bought is the same model number?

post #340 of 388 Old 08-26-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

1 TV.. Wd65733.. Doing the dmd chip don't know what you are saying "same model".. It's not a replacement engine, I just have to take it out to do the chip and figured I would do the lens cleaning..

Are the mechanical alignment screws the same?

I have the service manual for it, I will check while waiting an answer from you v.b.

Thank you!
post #341 of 388 Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

With the same model TV, that answer would be yes.

post #342 of 388 Old 08-27-2012, 01:46 PM

I'd sure go ahead and clean it! It makes such a huge difference. I cannot imagine that it wouldn't help.

fred
post #343 of 388 Old 08-27-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately, the screws were glued in and ended up stripping them to try to get them out.. If blooming ever becomes a problem, I will just find a new way to get them out or buy a new le.
post #344 of 388 Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've got a Mitsubishi 65C9. Does anyone have any info on how to take apart a 2009 or newer DLP for a good cleaning? My first lamp has over 5500 hours on it and I've got a new one ready to put in it. Before I put the new one in I thought it would be good to get all the dust I could out of the TV so the new lamp doesn't get dust in it like my older lamp does. What ever that spinny wheel is had dust balls hanging off of it the first time I opened it up. I've cleaned it up some but it's hard to reach and I'm afraid to disassemble it any further since I don't really know what I'm doing.
post #345 of 388 Old 11-18-2012, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

1. That's a squirrel cage fan for lamp cooling,
2. Get the Service Manual,
3. From that pic, the design has been changed again so some of this post probably won't apply.

post #346 of 388 Old 11-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

1. That's a squirrel cage fan for lamp cooling,
2. Get the Service Manual,
3. From that pic, the design has been changed again so some of this post probably won't apply.
Thanks, I found the service manual and downloaded it last night. It was really easy to understand and I was able to take everything out of the back of the TV and blow it out and wipe it down. I have had the TV for around 2 years and we have a wood stove so there was quite a bit of dust in it. I was worried about dust getting in something important but it seems like everything is sealed except for the actual lamp.
post #347 of 388 Old 11-18-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I moved the mirror on this part. What adjusts it? The small reflecting mirror.

Capture.JPG 85k .JPG file

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #348 of 388 Old 11-19-2012, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Nothing as far as I know. Moved it how/where? By those four screws? That might be a problem.

Mits apparently has it setup that the light engine is not a serviceable item. As with many manufactures of devices as this, they find it better to swap out the entire assembly due to the equipment and knowledge needed to 'repair' any of these. Besides, it couldn't be done in the field (home) anyway.
What they do is to send it out to a third party company that rebuilds the assembly just like many auto companies do for parts.

Have you seen this?;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/926204/ever-wonder-just-where-all-those-returned-dlp-light-engines-go-to

post #349 of 388 Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sorry for the delay in reply.

I moved it when I cleaned it. The mirror inside that housing, at least mine, was very foggy. When I polished it I found out it rests on a hinge like frame. Hard to describe but it moves like on an arc kind of assembly. When I polished the high side, it moved. Gently pushed it back but it was just a gross guess as to placement.

I can align it with my HVPOS, etc., adjustments but I've had to really move that sucker. Used to live at -1 and picture was perfectly aligned. Now I'm at -32.

Has to be some way to align it, some adjustment.

I'll not be buying another light engine. Any money I spend now is going towards a new flat panel. Time to move on to new technology.

The air flow through these Mits sooner or later brings enough dust and dirt that they have to be cleaned, lamp issues, etc.

Price for very nice 60 inch flat panels very doable these days.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #350 of 388 Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 AM

I had halos, flicker and incorrect colors. Followed the light engine cleaning procedure found at this site and now the set looks new again. smile.gif

My light engine did not appear dirty at first glance but everything had a white haze on it including the color wheel and color wheel sensor.

I used plain water, q-tips and an eye glasses polishing cloth.

Thank you very much forum members!!!!

WD-73732 with 12000+ hours (2 lamps so far).
post #351 of 388 Old 04-28-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Tell us about cleaning the color wheel. You are the first that I have read that has mentioned this.

post #352 of 388 Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

...Any money I spend now is going towards a new flat panel. Time to move on to new technology...

Out of LCD, DLP, and plasma, DLP is the NEWEST technology.

The only thing new about plasma and LCD is the price. They are no longer $10,000 for a 40 inch screen.

LCD was discovered 1888
LCD display invented 1964
Plasma display invented 1964
LED TV (true LED TV)1977
DLP was invented 1987
First DLP TV 2001
videobruce likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #353 of 388 Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
LED TV (true LED TV)1977
I'm glad you added "true" to the statement. wink.gif

post #354 of 388 Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

wink.gif

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #355 of 388 Old 05-04-2013, 02:02 PM

A MILLION thanks to videobruce for his instructions and photos!

My 2007 57732 had its light engine replaced in 2009 due to the hazing issue, under extended warranty. By now it had gotten very bad again. We looked at a new Plasma from Panasonic, but with them exiting the market, I decided to try and clean the lens. Worst case, we buy a new TV. Best case, well that's what happened.

I used Zeiss lens cleaning cloths and a glass polishing cloth to finish off. Avoiding the iris was not hard. The tube came out super easy. Adjusting the engine to be level took the most time of any one step.

I took photos with my iPhone at every step, and in some places, video. I viewed the instructions on my iPad, propped up against the back of the TV.

Here are stills I took from the video, one of the hazed lens, one cleaned. I also have droplets on my lens, either an oil or condensation. It came off fairly easily so I'm leaning towards condensation.

Hazed lens:

Cleaned lens:
post #356 of 388 Old 05-05-2013, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Excellent photos. As I posted, your photos showed the same improvement. It's surprising that the actual photo clearly show what it looks like in real life.
Glad it worked for you. Do you think I should send Mits my bill?? wink.gif
Quote:
We looked at a new Plasma from Panasonic, but with them exiting the market
Not to get OT, but is that just a assumption or speculation, or has that been officially announced?

post #357 of 388 Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Just as with DLPs, the LCDers have been saying for years that plasma is finished.  Repeat it often enough...

post #358 of 388 Old 05-07-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Excellent photos. As I posted, your photos showed the same improvement. It's surprising that the actual photo clearly show what it looks like in real life.
Glad it worked for you. Do you think I should send Mits my bill?? wink.gif

Thanks! I actually pulled them from the iPhone video. I forgot to take photos frown.gif I was too excited. And yes, send them your bill. The light engine they replaced under warranty was $900.
Quote:
Not to get OT, but is that just a assumption or speculation, or has that been officially announced?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/10/4210556/panasonic-ceases-plasma-panel-development-will-continue-to-make-tvs

I should have said ceased R&D, not exiting the market. This might mean that the top end sets will come down in a year or so, so when this DLP gives up the ghost, a nice Plasma may be in order.

Lastly, did you notice in my photos a little rust in the screw hole? I wonder if that was due to the condensation, or the fact that we used a humidifier in the living room several winters ago.
post #359 of 388 Old 05-08-2013, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
the company had closed down R&D with plans to pull out of plasma altogether as early as 2014......Panasonic would continue to make and sell plasma televisions into 2014 at the very least
Sounds as one or two more years of Plasmas from Panny. wink.gif
Quote:
Lastly, did you notice in my photos a little rust in the screw hole?
No I didn't. eek.gif
Wow. Don't know what to tell you here. That shouldn't of happened.

post #360 of 388 Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM

Looks like some of the haze is already returning. I have a halo around the directv logo, or it is meant to be that way, hmm smile.gif
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page