Mitsubishi 2007 (and possibility '06 & '08) lens cleaning procedure. No more halo's. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 388 Old 12-18-2009, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Ninjac; can you post screen shots? I never heard of this.
LEs' are not cheap. I posted prices a few posts up. If it is the LE, you might be better off replacing the set, but you loose many worthwhile features that have been removed with newer models and replaced with 'gimmicks'.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 388 Old 12-18-2009, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Ninjac; can you post screen shots? I never heard of this.
LEs' are not cheap. I posted prices a few posts up. If it is the LE, you might be better off replacing the set, but you loose many worthwhile features that have been removed with newer models and replaced with 'gimmicks'.

Well I will hook it back up and take pics. I already bought another Mitsu. A 65737. I paid 760 for it new. I already hate the new remote. And wtf...the front USB and Video access is gone Though I will say it does have a beautiful picture. Even better than my 65733. So I'll conect it all back up and take a pic.

heh, I still have a 90 day return polocy !
post #93 of 388 Old 01-12-2010, 10:07 AM

Sorry to cross post.But i thought maybe i might get some help here, after a cleaning i was left with picture pushed down about 2 inches.Not sure how or why.But if anybody knows how to fix it Please tell me. Heres my thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1216182
post #94 of 388 Old 01-12-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I would have to say the optical block assembly (LE) isn't in the correct position. I do remember sliding it back into the chassis was not that easy. I questioned whether it went forward all the way and whether it shifted to the right or left at all. You don't get much feedback exactly where the tray is in relation to where it should be.

Pull the LE out again and check for any cables (or anything else) that may have gotten in the way. The only other possibility, somehow you might of not reassembled one of the sub parts correctly.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #95 of 388 Old 01-12-2010, 11:43 AM

Thought 3rd time would be a charm, but no go and no changes.all wires are clear, LE is seating into the front holes and butting into the back like its suppose to, 3 holder screws line right up.I was only able to make it to what would be your 8th color pic, not including diagrams.So i cant really understand what could have changed.
I re boosted the back of the LE and the Sceen looks as it should before cleaning.
I'm really starting to wonder if the mirror could have shifted,but i thought they were fixed in place (no adjustment).
post #96 of 388 Old 01-12-2010, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrassie86 View Post

Thought 3rd time would be a charm, but no go and no changes.all wires are clear, LE is seating into the front holes and butting into the back like its suppose to, 3 holder screws line right up.I was only able to make it to what would be your 8th color pic, not including diagrams.So i cant really understand what could have changed.
I re boosted the back of the LE and the Sceen looks as it should before cleaning.
I'm really starting to wonder if the mirror could have shifted,but i thought they were fixed in place (no adjustment).

On my 57831 you can adjust the image left/right and up/down through the service menu. I'm pretty sure the 833's work the same way.

On the remote, press menu-2-4-5-7 to open the SERVICE MENU then press REWIND to bring up the test pattern. Press VIDEO until you get the specific adjustment you want, 1HPOS (horizontal position), 2VPOS (vertical position) then press the UP or DOWN button to move the image up/down or left/right.

You must press ENTER to save your changes, if you just EXIT the changes won't be saved.
post #97 of 388 Old 01-12-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Thomas View Post

On my 57831 you can adjust the image left/right and up/down through the service menu. I'm pretty sure the 833's work the same way.

On the remote, press menu-2-4-5-7 to open the SERVICE MENU then press REWIND to bring up the test pattern. Press VIDEO until you get the specific adjustment you want, 1HPOS (horizontal position), 2VPOS (vertical position) then press the UP or DOWN button to move the image up/down or left/right.

You must press ENTER to save your changes, if you just EXIT the changes won't be saved.

Your instructions were the first thing i tried when i noticed the problem.I can move the test patterns up and down, but the black bar remains and will not raise.Some how the screen is just pushed down to far.
The funny thing is my 4:3 lines and geomitry are darn near perfect.(they were not before)
post #98 of 388 Old 01-13-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This isn't an electrical issue, it's mechanical. The chassis (or something in the optical path) has shifted somehow.
Did you take that extra step that was posted regarding removing the iris board?;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...3&postcount=18
I never did. That might be the problem, the assembly wasn't seated properly. If that isn't it, then I would say the lens assembly isn't seating properly.

Can you post a screen shot?

post #99 of 388 Old 01-15-2010, 06:14 PM

Just finished going through these steps. Absolutely amazing - this is the reason I bought this TV 3 years ago. The PQ is fantastic again.

Thanks again to everyone who's contributed to finding the cause of the bloom/halo.

E
post #100 of 388 Old 01-17-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:

This isn't an electrical issue, it's mechanical. The chassis (or something in the optical path) has shifted somehow.
Did you take that extra step that was posted regarding removing the iris board?;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...3&postcount=18
I never did. That might be the problem, the assembly wasn't seated properly. If that isn't it, then I would say the lens assembly isn't seating properly.

Can you post a screen shot?

I will post a pic in a few days incase this it will help someone in future,
I was not able to do a complete dissasemble per the instructions (to much glue)
In your pic i had to remove the black cover box and loosen/remove the hook looking thing (not sure of the name)to be able to remove the 3rd screw, I was very carefull about this.I have tried reseatting everything 3-4 times now.so not really sure what happend.The silver plate (irus???) was not removed.
Either way i had to call for service do to bright spots/gray blobs about 6 on the screen that are seen during dark sceens in movies ect or if the screens black.
When i mentioned my issues to the service person he did not seem to suprized and i was informed of a chassie rebuild, Altho i failed to mention i had cleaned it.
i was suppose to get 2 cleanings a year included in my warrenty,but when it was sold to another company those went away.

It gets worked on in a few days.if the problem is revieled i'll be sure to post.
But i have feeling after talking to service guy they will probly just replace the LE.
post #101 of 388 Old 01-21-2010, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Someone else asked about older sets. Here is my thread on 2006 Mits DLP's;
http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...d.php?t=581146

post #102 of 388 Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 AM

Ok heres the pic.
But it looks like we will never know what caused it.service guy looked at it and the other issues.said it needed a new LE,screen,and a few other things.And only removed one side panel, never even pulled codes or really anything.Sounds like he's wanting to rebuiled the entire tv.Not so sure i like that idea.
post #103 of 388 Old 01-22-2010, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at or what I should look for.

post #104 of 388 Old 01-22-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Sorry, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at or what I should look for.

Sorry,in the pic of what ever that is on the tv screen.you can see the flash from the camera, i placed it right where the black bar is across the screen.that is what i was left with after the cleaning and reassembling 4 times.The screen just moved down, dont know why, not mad,the cleaning made a very big difference.
post #105 of 388 Old 01-22-2010, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok, now I see. I don't know what to tell you. You are the first to report this problem. (don't you hate when a CSR says that to you?)
It's odd the image edge is perfectly level across the width of the screen vs being tilted.

post #106 of 388 Old 01-22-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Ok, now I see. I don't know what to tell you. You are the first to report this problem. (don't you hate when a CSR says that to you?)
It's odd the image edge is perfectly level across the width of the screen vs being tilted.

It was tilted alittle at first,I had just enough wiggle room on the screws to make it level.
Judging by all the grey spots and other issues.I'm pretty sure the LE was on the way out anyway.Should have another installed in week or so.
post #107 of 388 Old 02-13-2010, 11:57 PM

Thanks for a great guide on how to clean. I did all listed and also had to open up the lens housing that has the main large top lens on the optical block. The inside lens had a large smudge of buildup too. I carefully picked off the two glue spots and worked the black ring until it was loose enough to screw off. I put all back together, and tested, but now the whole picture is "out of focus". The haze seems to be gone at least, but could I have twisted the lens too far to cause the focus to go off? I slid the whole tray out again and repositioned and tightened all down, but still the picture is not in perfect focus. If it was a camera I would say that i needed to turn the focus ring 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Any ideas please?

Mark
post #108 of 388 Old 02-14-2010, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Not exactly suer what you took apart. Any photos??

post #109 of 388 Old 02-14-2010, 09:14 AM

The main lens visible from inside the case that is in all your photos. There is a snap-on ring over it. There is a large lens cover that can come out, but inside I saw more buildup, and got to it by removing is a black plastic collar around it that can be twisted off after the glue spot are broken, to get to the lens inside. All areas in the optical block had something on the lenses, and are now clean, but for some reason the picture is now not hazy, but out of focus.

I am going to try and copy your picture from the guide, but I am not proficient yet at forum posting, so don't know if this will work.

Thanks for any help on figuring out how to refocus the lens now.

post #110 of 388 Old 02-15-2010, 01:19 AM

I answered my own question, but thanks anyway. The lens was out of focus. I think I must have screwed it down too much after I broke the glue spot seals and put it back together. I slowly loosened it up and kept putting the tray back in to test, and finally I have a clear picture with lettering I can read well.

Thanks again for the guide, it was a great help. Hopefully I get a year or more out of it before I have to clean anything again.

Mark
post #111 of 388 Old 02-15-2010, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I would not of attempted to disassemble the actual lens assembly. Any chance you took pics of th main lens disassembled?

post #112 of 388 Old 02-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Sorry Bruce, didn't take pics, as I am new to posting things, and mainly did not expect any issues, as no one else mentioned an "out of focus" problem. I have played around today back and forth for over an hour, and now after turning the lens 1/4 to 1/2 turn each time, I have a perfect picture again. I really had no option but to open up this ring, since the lens inside had a huge smear/smudge on it. Not sure if there was any other way to get to it, but at least all is back together and I have just put the back panel back on. The Olympics look awesome on the high-def channel, and the timer clock lettering and all other fonts I can see are clean and crisp like when I first bought it.

Wish I could have added more to the sight by pics, but I thank you again for all your help with this.

Mark
post #113 of 388 Old 02-16-2010, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

How many 'pieces' to this lens assembly are there? Other than what the photo shows, I'm assuming there are other pieces. By rotating one of them, it sounds as it changed the distance between these other lenses, thus changing focal distance. Could you see if the current position is where it was originally either by where the 'glue' was or so other 'marker'?

post #114 of 388 Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 AM

I have had the 73831 for 3 years now and have not noticed the blooming. I have had 2 bulb replacements and feel a third will be soon. Do you feel that all of these light engines no matter what would benefit from cleaning? I use to have a pioneer rear projection that i cleaned the guns on ebvery couple year and the difference was amazing. I dont think the 73831 pis is as good as it was when new but that was my first hd tv and everthing seemed amazing at that poit to view.

Bottom line i still think i will atemp and i have not totaly read the entire thread but do i want to remove that metal plate and mirror and clean also?
post #115 of 388 Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you feel that all of these light engines no matter what would benefit from cleaning?

Tough question.
You have to ask yourself;
1. Are you willing to accept the fact the chance exists something could go wrong?
2. Do you have the mechanical and electronic ability to do this?
3. But, do you feel it is really necessary?

Problem is, this doesn't happen overnight. It is gradual. There might be a problem that you don't realize. Since this is happening, I can't see why it wouldn't be a universal problem (depending on how dirty/dusty an environment the set is in.
What does the back look like? How much dust is in the vents? That should give you a idea what the inside looks like.

post #116 of 388 Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The next one to do so, please take pics of the process and post back to cover what I didn't and any new issues that have come up since.

Take more than one of each view. never rely on a single photo especially when detail is important. I always take at least 3 or 4 shots of the same view, sometimes 6 or more if it is really critical. Memory is cheap.

post #117 of 388 Old 02-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Just took delivery of my new 65737...two dust spots OOB :|
post #118 of 388 Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

"Dust spots"??
Exactly where are they located? How about a screen shot?

post #119 of 388 Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

My amateur diagnosis Should have this in the 09 thread, but the topic was being discussed here with pics, so I apologize. Anyway, one small (6"?) circular spot in the upper right portion of the screen and one larger (13"?) in the lower left portion. Appears when changing channels of different resolutions (the black screen while it switches from 1080i to 720p etc), but also during dark scenes. Not source dependent.

I'll take some pics when I get home tonight.
post #120 of 388 Old 02-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Some pictures. I took pics from two angles to show it's not angle dependent, either; one pic with longer exposure to exaggerate the effect.

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page