Sony KDS-60A2000 with Green Blob Worth Anything? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-21-2009, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My friend has a Sony KDS-60A2000 with the green blob issue. He just ordered a new TV and is curious what he should do with his old Sony. Is it worth anything to anybody that could fix it? It's out of warranty so he didn't want to bother with fixing it. It's perfect besides the green blob problem.

How much would it fetch in the classifieds or eBay?

Thank you for any direction you can provide, just trying to help out my friend.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-22-2009, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

It's free to fix. Sony extended thier optical block warranty which the part that likes to fail.
Call them and say optical block went and everything is free of charge in-house repair.
After replacement of optical block, buy a new lamp and you got a new TV.

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-22-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. View Post

It's free to fix. Sony extended thier optical block warranty which the part that likes to fail.
Call them and say optical block went and everything is free of charge in-house repair.
After replacement of optical block, buy a new lamp and you got a new TV.

Wow, thank you! You may have just saved my friend a ton of cash! Love this forum!
post #4 of 6 Old 06-22-2009, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the same TV and mine has the same problem. I believe the number to call is 888-649-7669.

Here is a clip from someone's post in another thread:

I just received an email that Sony extended the warranty on the optical block until 2010.

Dear Valued Sony Customer,

Models: KDS-50A2000, KDS-55A2000, KDS-60A2000, KDS-R60XBR2, KDS-R70XBR2

As part of the Sony commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that it is extending the limited warranty (parts and labor), in the United States, on the optical block of the above-referenced 2006 model SXRD televisions until June 30, 2010, regardless of purchase date. For any customer who requires repair of the optical block on one of the affected models, Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair (parts and labor) at no charge through June 30, 2010. This extended warranty does not apply to the replaceable projection lamp or the other parts that may be used in the televisions.

Sony is also announcing that for any owner of these model televisions who paid out-of-pocket expenses on or before December 31, 2008 for an estimate or repair service to replace the optical block, Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for the cost of the optical block and the labor expense to replace it, subject to certain conditions. To receive reimbursement, please follow completely the directions on the claim form for reimbursement; all claims must be postmarked by January 31, 2009. See the claim form for complete terms and conditions.

All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. Sony utilizes a network of hundreds of qualified independent third-party servicers to perform in-home television warranty service. Sony, through its authorized servicer network, will endeavor to repair your set within 30 days of your first contact. For diagnosis, warranty service, or if you are not provided a repair within 30 days, please contact Sony at (888) 649-7669.

Sincerely,

Sony Electronics

Mike
post #5 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 12:46 PM

I just called and arranged a warranty replacement of the optical block on my KDS-60A200.

Here is a tip - Sony gave me a phone number to call for the local authorized reapir center. I called them 10 times and only got a busy signal each time. I called Sony back and asked for the number of another servicer. Sony rep then offered to set up the appointment for me over the phone. Save yourself the aggravation and ask the Sony rep to set it up when you call the first time.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-30-2012, 05:45 PM

Liked: 11
this may be wrong thread ... Had good experience with Sony flxing the green blob.

Now I have determined a problem in the sony tv kds-a2000 two hdmi inputs video6 and video 7. Essentially nothing displays on screen when there are input signals. Thought it could be the amplifier hdmi output so We connected a laptop with hdmi output and there was an interaction with the TV and the laptop installing drivers on the laptop but still no display on the TV. Does anyone have experience with this problem? Where else should I post?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page