Problem with Panasonic PT-43LC14: Yellow tint covering most of screen. Convergence ok - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 235 Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Asandova. Thank you for the response. I made sure and have the ribbon on top of the bar but still, solid green screen. I just don't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 235 Old 11-09-2010, 11:42 AM

Don't mean to hijack but I have mitsubishi wd-62527 that has the same issue with yellowing of the screen. I pulled the light engine and my polarizer looks just like others in this thread. Would the Anchor Opticts work in mine also? Could someone post a pic of the Vermilion so I could compare? The tv is about 5 years old and I suspect it has the same lcd setup. Thank you.
post #123 of 235 Old 11-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Can anyone tell me how to get my picture back after replacing my blue polarizer? I have sound but video.
post #124 of 235 Old 11-19-2010, 02:05 PM

Well, after all of this I finally got the chance to work on my TV today.
Got it taken apart, labeled in a drawing where all the screws came from, made notes as to the order of dis-assembly, and replaced the burned polarizer.
( Just a note for those still confused, the replacement piece is the same thickness as the burned glass piece, so I totally removed the burned piece and place the new piece where it went. No removing and gluing.. just take out and put in the new one)

Got the TV back together, plugged it in and held my breath.
It worked just great!

I think there's a slight blue hue to the picture, but I could just be seeing it differently because of seeing it through a yellow haze for so long.
I'll ask my wife what she thinks, seeing as she hasn't been home all day and will be a fresh pair of eyes.
I may have to try Bear's suggestion later, I just don't feel like pulling it all apart again right now. If no one else is bothered by it I can live with it for a few.

So what would you recommend as the optimal settings for the Picture, Contrast, Brightness etc?

And a huge thank you to asandova for the pieces!
post #125 of 235 Old 11-19-2010, 06:53 PM

I just received the Vermillion polarizer today. Im a bit uncertain on what i s the correct way to cut the film still. I hold it up to the laptop screen and i see magenta when it is in a diamond pattern. Then i turn it 45 degrees counter clockwise and it is a lite blue. Is this where i want to make my cut? Now my original polarizer is not this color? It is the same as what people posted here. Now when people cut their vermillion did it not match the same color as the the original burnt polazier?

Thank you
post #126 of 235 Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 PM

Okay, I may be corrected on this, but as asandova marked it for me, cut it square (90 degrees) but make sure the orientation is set up so when you hold it up to the screen straight and tilt it left (counter-clockwise) it turns red, and when you turn turn it right (clockwise) it turns blue.

If you have it 90 degrees wrong (i.e. on its side) when you turn it left it will end up turning blue rather the red you want it to be.

Did that make sense?
post #127 of 235 Old 11-20-2010, 10:01 AM

Did the Vermillion polarizer match the color of the original burnt polarizer when looking at them? The reason i am asking is because i am going to try this on a mits wd-62527 that has the same issue as what people have here. I have the same burnt "blue" polarizer. I am figuring that since both these sets are the same age that they more than likely have the same type of lcd set up.
post #128 of 235 Old 11-20-2010, 10:11 AM

They looked different to me, the new one is more 'pink-ish' than the old.

I'm still getting the blue tinge and really don't want to open the whole thing up just to do a minor adjustment. I think I'll try once more, and if it doesn't really make a difference I'll live with the 'blue for black'.
post #129 of 235 Old 11-20-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShilohG View Post

They looked different to me, the new one is more 'pink-ish' than the old.

I'm still getting the blue tinge and really don't want to open the whole thing up just to do a minor adjustment. I think I'll try once more, and if it doesn't really make a difference I'll live with the 'blue for black'.

Ok that is what i wanted to know. Thank you for verifying for me
post #130 of 235 Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 AM

I have a Panasonic PT50LC14 set. Boughtt in December, 2004. For the past year the yellow tint got progressively worse until it covered most of the screen. In September I started reading this thread and downloaded the manual and bot the filter from Anchor. After installation the display was "bluish" I tried the adjustment of the filter to make sure it was centered. No positive result. I just purchased the correct part from Panasonic LSXA0600 Polarizer Blue Unit. Cost $219. I just installed it and the picture is completely normal just like the day the set was purchased.

The Anchor filter does leave a blue hue to the picture, For instance, the blacks were blue when the letterbox shows on the screen. All of that is gone with the Panasonic part. I also noticed that upon removal, the Anchor filter I installed in mid October has disclored itself in the last six weeks.

My advice, spring for the correct Panasonic part. I purchased the part from Panasonic 800-833-9626. The Panasonic part referenced includes the white holder and two glass filters all preassembled. Just install.

I do not know if this part will fit in other Panasonic TV's
post #131 of 235 Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsparade View Post

I have a Panasonic PT50LC14 set. Boughtt in December, 2004. For the past year the yellow tint got progressively worse until it covered most of the screen. In September I started reading this thread and downloaded the manual and bot the filter from Anchor. After installation the display was "bluish" I tried the adjustment of the filter to make sure it was centered. No positive result. I just purchased the correct part from Panasonic LSXA0600 Polarizer Blue Unit. Cost $219. I just installed it and the picture is completely normal just like the day the set was purchased.

The Anchor filter does leave a blue hue to the picture, For instance, the blacks were blue when the letterbox shows on the screen. All of that is gone with the Panasonic part. I also noticed that upon removal, the Anchor filter I installed in mid October has disclored itself in the last six weeks.

My advice, spring for the correct Panasonic part. I purchased the part from Panasonic 800-833-9626. The Panasonic part referenced includes the white holder and two glass filters all preassembled. Just install.

That whole Anchor Optics stuff was started by someone with a 42" tv, admittedly not worth much because of the size, so they didn't want to pay for the Panasonic part. Anyone that has a 50" or over is probably better off to buy the right part, and Panasonic is the only tv vendor that actually sells them for their sets. This particular one I know is fairly expensive for some reason. For later sets like the LCX's they are more reasonable.

A picture of the bleached out Anchor filter would be interesting btw.
post #132 of 235 Old 12-26-2010, 11:50 AM

I successfully fixed a friends yellow tint problem on her pt-43lc14-k.
I have the rest of the 5x8 sheet, so perhaps if anyone wants.. I can help them out.

For reference, for the pt-43lc14-k, the filter size is 15/16 x 13/16

If anyone could measure out their filters for the other sizes for this model group, it would be helpful.

Just for tips though, the filter box needs all visible screws to be taken out in order to flip it back to get at the circuit board screws (4 total holding the board down).. to get access to the blue filter which is below the ribbon cable.

For all the people complaining about colour problems.. perhaps you failed to orient the filter properly when you cut it out? You need to mark the original filter to indicate which side was up and then match it at a laptop or lcd screen to see the correct angle to cut at. I was lucky since I could cut parallel to the sides of the filter sheet I bought.

There is definitely a wrong way to cut if you're not careful. Also, I took out both pieces from the filter holder and installed the anchor optics filter in place of the thicker piece which had the burnt part on it. The picture looks great without any odd hues.
post #133 of 235 Old 01-03-2011, 05:16 PM

I just upgraded to an LCD TV because of my yellow picture. I was going to list on eBay but I remembered this forum. If anyone needs a part from this tv let me know, I will sell parts for a very reasonable price. Again my blue filter is bad; most likely caused by an aftermarket lamp so I would not recomend my lamp. I did have the tv apart so I can send just the individule parts so shipping is cheaper.
Please email me at jafoo@wi.rr.com with any requests or questions. I check the email nightly on week days.
I am located in south east Wisconsin.
Panasonic PT-43LC14
I can send pics if needed.
post #134 of 235 Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 AM

I to have the notorius Panasonic PT-43...with the same problems as the rest of the poor souls that spent (too much) hard earned money on what is now considered a piece of junk.
OK so we all know that the Panasonics have a problem with the blue polorizing filter,and have a wide array of ways, and means to fix it "right"?
SO heres the BIG question........
"WHY" does this perticular make and model have this problem? What is the cause? and can it be remedied so as it Won't happen again?
AS a foot note to this perticular Make and model (both PT-43 and 50)
consumer reports has literally thousands of complaints on the afore mentioned problems.SO as to "why" is that "blue polorizing filter" so much more then the others???? EASY....thats the one that goes bad......
post #135 of 235 Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 AM

I just wish they sold just the polarizing filter separately instead of having to buy the whole unit for $200+.
How much could just that little piece cost?

I've come to terms with the fix I did, but the lamps have come down in price drastically, so if I was able to replace just the filter (not 'fix' it, like I did) and buy a new lamp when the current goes this would make a good second TV for the rec room after I buy my new one this spring.
post #136 of 235 Old 01-15-2011, 06:55 PM

The reason you have that blue cast in all your dark areas is because you are using a that vermillion polarizer. The vermillion polarizer works if the picture scenes are bright, dark scenes look terrible. I have found a polarizer that works perfect. I cut it to fit the frame and used a touch of epoxy in one corner because it is not mounted on the glass plate like the original. Its been in my set for a month now with no problems noted.
post #137 of 235 Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 PM

superlemur-

What color polarizer did you find and where did you purchase it?
post #138 of 235 Old 01-15-2011, 11:32 PM

Yes, do share, please.

As I said before, this fix is better than the yellow tinting, but if there's something cheap that will fix it better then please let us all in on it.
post #139 of 235 Old 01-17-2011, 06:35 AM

The type I used is surplus stock. Very cheap. But you would probably get nailed for shipping and minimum quantity. Send your address to spanner56@aol.com and I will mail you a piece cut to size.
post #140 of 235 Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 AM

E-mail sent!
Let me know if you want something for it, and the shipping to Canada.

Does your piece need proper orientation figured out, as well?
post #141 of 235 Old 01-17-2011, 06:52 PM

Orientation is not a problem. I cut it to size. Sent one to Shiloh, Anel
and Woolcottap. Hope it works for you.
post #142 of 235 Old 01-25-2011, 01:31 PM

Got the new piece in the mail today. Thanks again superlemur!
I'll put it in this afternoon and see how it goes, but what type of epoxy did you use? Anything special or just a dot of Crazy Glue?
post #143 of 235 Old 01-25-2011, 03:48 PM

Never mind, I was able to clean the original piece of glass (removing the burned piece from the front) and slide the glass + new filter into the holder so it's nice and snug.

The blacks are black again and the picture looks great!

And a note to those who have used the vermillion piece: when I removed the vermillion I looked at it and noticed that there is a definite square that is lighter than the rest of the piece. I figure in a couple more months the lamp would have diluted the piece and it would most likely need to be replaced again.
Just a heads up in case you notice the picture getting worse over time.
post #144 of 235 Old 01-31-2011, 05:05 PM

OK - I have the 50" pos. Had it apart 4 times & still can't get it to work (I am a master level electronic tech, but not in TVs). I've had it, going down to Costco & getting a new TV. If someone wants it, you can have it or I will part it out for shipping costs. Near San Antonio.

Throwing the POS away - my Panny plasma looks great

My advice - don't obsess over this TV - go get a Panny plasma - around $600 and enjoy
post #145 of 235 Old 02-12-2011, 03:51 PM

Hi guys,i have the same problem with the filter ,can some one add here step by step how to instal the filter??,btw i tried to contact superlemur but no luck anyone who has an extra piece from him??
thx
post #146 of 235 Old 02-14-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsparade View Post

great advice about purchasing the original part from panasonic parts. However they are of no help when you need a replacement part. Does any one have a part # for the filter that is causing the problem of the yellow screen. Thanks Genol
post #147 of 235 Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 AM

thx superlemur for sending me a piece of that polarized film
post #148 of 235 Old 02-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genol View Post
great advice about purchasing the original part from panasonic parts. However they are of no help when you need a replacement part. Does any one have a part # for the filter that is causing the problem of the yellow screen. Thanks Genol
The part number for the input polarizing filter on the blue path is different for every Panasonic tv. Older ones like the LC13, LC14 seem to cost more than the newer ones like the LCX's, perhaps indicating a weak design that led to a run on parts. You need to get a Service Manual for your set to find the right part number.
post #149 of 235 Old 02-15-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlemur View Post

The reason you have that blue cast in all your dark areas is because you are using a that vermillion polarizer. The vermillion polarizer works if the picture scenes are bright, dark scenes look terrible. I have found a polarizer that works perfect. I cut it to fit the frame and used a touch of epoxy in one corner because it is not mounted on the glass plate like the original. Its been in my set for a month now with no problems noted.

Would your polarizer work for Sony RPTVs with yellow tint problems?
The model is KF-E50A10
post #150 of 235 Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 AM

This polarizer works for the three Panasonic models mentioned in this thread.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page