Problem with Panasonic PT-43LC14: Yellow tint covering most of screen. Convergence ok - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 239 Old 02-19-2011, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone,

This thread has been incredibly helpful, i'm really glad that i found it! ...I managed to get my tv disassembled and found out that i too have a burned out blue polarizer unit... I had a look on Anchor optics for the vermillion film but currently the cheapest piece they have is $38. I'm wondering if anyone here found anywhere else to buy polarizer film or if anyone has an extra piece.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 239 Old 02-19-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlemur View Post

This polarizer works for the three Panasonic models mentioned in this thread.

What is the difference between your polarizer and the Anchor Optic's vermilion polarizer?
I'm guessing it's all in the colour?
post #153 of 239 Old 03-04-2011, 05:46 PM

The vermillion one should never be used because of blue cast to dark areas. I have sent several pieces already to people on this forum and those that installed it correctly said it works great. As I said before , if you want a polarizer piece cut to size, just send your address to spanner56@aol.com and I will send you one.
post #154 of 239 Old 09-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Hey all!

I was just wondering how things were going with everyone's individual fixes.
Do they seem to be lasting, or has everyone decided to just go with a new TV since they seem to be going for so cheap these days?

I have found that my lamp has been getting pretty dark, but the rest seems ok, so I ordered a new lamp from amatteroffax.com for only $75.

How are the vermillion polarizers doing? Have they burned through or are they still looking good?

superlemur, I would like to request a spare piece of the filter you sent me, but I lost your address a while ago to send you some $$.
I figure if the lamp is still ok I may as well ride this TV as long as I can, even as a secondary for my kids.
post #155 of 239 Old 09-19-2011, 10:25 PM

ShilohG, How is your fix going with superlemur's piece that he sent you. I just installed mine but still have to replace the ballast tomorrow. Superlemur sent me a piece and was wondering what the lifespan of that little square will be...

Thanks superlemur!
post #156 of 239 Old 09-20-2011, 12:50 PM

So far it's going great. I haven't noticed any deterioration in the picture at all.
I just replaced my lamp because the other one was dim to the point I could barely see the picture during the day, but so far it seems fine.

I'll update after a few to see if anything changes because of the new lamp.
post #157 of 239 Old 09-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Just got the tv back together and the picture is much better. I originally tore the tv apart to replace the ballast because was shutting off all the time. Long story short....great picture now but still keeps shutting off. Was hoping to be able to fix this set as it still has a great picture. I will do another search on here to see if I can find the culprit. Everytime it shuts off the power LED turns amber and blinks once every 4-5 seconds. No other lights flashing. Hit the power button and the amber light turns green and flashing until the tv turns on as normal. Runs for 5-10 minutes then shuts off again. I'm stumped....

Anyways the yellow and green tinted screen is back to normal!
post #158 of 239 Old 09-24-2011, 10:33 PM

Awesome thread... thanks to everyone who's contributed. I was able to fix my Panasonic PT-50LC14 this evening after reading through all the tips/tricks and downloading the service manual. My picture is now back to normal.

Like most everyone else I was also experiencing darkish, yellow-brown discoloration in my picture. Only the top corners and maybe a strip about 2 inches along the top looked normal. Seemed to happen pretty much all at once, or at least that's how I noticed it. But it really became evident with bright blue parts of video frames, such as oceans, Avatar's, etc.

Took me about 1 hr to get everything disassembled, and get the accumulated dust from the past 10 years all cleaned up. Then I spent about 30 minutes fuddling with the polarizer film that's fused to the glass. I was shocked at how burned it was (see attached picture after I peeled the film from the glass). I was able to clean all the adhesive residue from the polarizing film off the glass with a little acetone... the wife's fingernail polish remover. Then cleaned everything up with a little alcohol. Just used a very small dab of glue on the four corners of the glass to attach the new polarizer film. A huge thanks to @superlemur for the film, worked like a charm. Then spent the next hour or so getting everything back together. Not bad... took a few hours of effort to save me several hundred $ on a new TV.
LL
post #159 of 239 Old 12-08-2011, 10:26 AM

This thread was great. I too had a growing yellow spot on my screen and it was a burnt blue polarizer. I had NEVER done anything like this before but was able to manage. I recieved the new polarizer from spanner56@aol.com just like he promised. I do suggest finding the appropriate diagrams from the manual as they did come in handy. One problem I encountered, were the LCD ribbon cables. I didn't know how to disconnect them from the clamps, and snapped two of the three clamps (the white sidarms that the brown clamp pivots in). Would have been way easier if I just did a little research. I eneded up wedging the brown peices back in and seemed to hold the ribbons snug enough. Screen works great and yellow is completely gone! My only worry is that the ribbon cables will somehow pop out of the connectors. Anyone have experience with this issue or know of an easy fix? If it will hold, I definitely do now want to go all the way back in to the light engine.

Thanks to all in this thread!
post #160 of 239 Old 12-09-2011, 02:29 AM

Hi All

I fixed my burnt polarizer issue a while back thanks to this thread, now my issue is the ballast. It's an intermittent issue, when it happens I remove/insert the light cassete and it's back in business but that trick is getting old.

They sell a kit to replace certain components to retrofit the ballast but I'm not good soldering. Anybody knows of a 43" TV set that is up for spare parts?

Thanks
post #161 of 239 Old 01-29-2012, 03:53 PM

So I installed a new polarizer, and the picture didn't change at all. A little about my situation:

The PT-50LC14 was purchased about 3 years ago, as an open box return. After less than a year, the picture began to yellow. The owners of the TV did not address the problem immediately, and the problem worsened. It got to the point that there was a fairly bright yellow 'M' shape on the TV at all times, in addition to the yellowish tint that was occurring previously. After about 2 years of the TV being used in it's worsening yellowish state, there is now a blue 'M' shape, in addition to yellowish tinting of the screen. As I stated in the first line, I replaced the Blue polarizer and did not see a difference in the picture. The blue 'M' shape is still present, along with the yellowish tinting. I will be disassembling the TV again tomorrow to see if I can address any other issues, and I will be replacing the bulb tonight.

My question is this: Is it possible that after a few years of being used with the burned polarizer, the actual screen of the TV has the 'M' shape burned-in? I am not sure if DLP TVs have burn-in issues, but I think this could be the problem. I have also heard that people sometime remove a polarizing film on the screen of their RPTVs, so that may be something I look into

Thanks for any insight
post #162 of 239 Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 PM

Did you take a good look at the other polorizers? We have all been fortunate that it was the blue one for us, but it might be another one (or two) in your set.
post #163 of 239 Old 01-31-2012, 11:07 AM

I looked at (and replaced) the blue polarizer, although it didn't have any signs of burning on it. I also removed the polarizer on the opposite side, which also didn't show any signs of burning. I did not (because of a time crunch) remove the center polarizer, so it is possible that this is the problem. I will try and get a picture of the screen and what the symptoms look like. It might be good for reference to what happens after 2 years with a burnt polarizer.

I also looked around the net quite a bit, and it looks like the answer to my question about DLP burn-in is a negative. The general concensus seems to be that it would be very difficult to get an image to burn into the screen of a DLP RPTV.
post #164 of 239 Old 02-10-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1irishprince View Post

Just got the tv back together and the picture is much better. I originally tore the tv apart to replace the ballast because was shutting off all the time. Long story short....great picture now but still keeps shutting off. Was hoping to be able to fix this set as it still has a great picture. I will do another search on here to see if I can find the culprit. Everytime it shuts off the power LED turns amber and blinks once every 4-5 seconds. No other lights flashing. Hit the power button and the amber light turns green and flashing until the tv turns on as normal. Runs for 5-10 minutes then shuts off again. I'm stumped....

Anyways the yellow and green tinted screen is back to normal!

1irishprince if you haven't found your problem yet my tv had the same problem, and i found out that it is either fan 1 2 or 3 out. fan 1 hardly ever goes out and is the fan in the black case below the projection unit. fan 2 is a small fan on the bottom of the projection unit next to the bulb, and fan 3 is the big fan on the other side of the bulb
post #165 of 239 Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM

Got my polarizer from superlemur a couple months back. Thanks again.
Finally found time to attack this repair. Spent 3 hours tearing down , cleaning and reassembling.
All three polarizers are in perfect shape
Did notice some dirt/dust on the inside of the first lens opposite lamp housing. Cleaned it up with canned air and Q-tip.
No difference . At least it still works.
Anyone have any ideas what else the yellow blotches I have could be from.
post #166 of 239 Old 02-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reider98 View Post

Got my polarizer from superlemur a couple months back. Thanks again.
Finally found time to attack this repair. Spent 3 hours tearing down , cleaning and reassembling.
All three polarizers are in perfect shape
Did notice some dirt/dust on the inside of the first lens opposite lamp housing. Cleaned it up with canned air and Q-tip.
No difference . At least it still works.
Anyone have any ideas what else the yellow blotches I have could be from.

If you are seeing blue blotches on a black screen, and yellow blotches on a white screen, you may have a degraded LCD panel in the blue path.

See this for more info: http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcd...tical-block-pa

Sony 3-LCD design is nearly identical to Panasonic and all other 3-LCD designs. Same two problems, blue input polarizing filter and LCD panel in the blue path, on all of them.
post #167 of 239 Old 07-21-2012, 09:01 PM

i got a PT50LC14, u sure the polarizer unit for PT50LC13, would work on my tv? i dont want to spend that money and dont be able to fix my problem, because i think my tv has more than one lens burn, it has the dark yellow spot on the center but it also has bright little dots all around the screen, where u can find the replacement part for the PT50LC14 i would like to google some pictures before attempting to get and modify the part for the PT50LC13. what u recommend?
post #168 of 239 Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 PM

I have a problem with the 43 inch, changed out the filter, still have the same problem, looking at the screen we have yellow on the rightside, on the leftside there is blue little dots, any help out there, thanks big dogg.
post #169 of 239 Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 PM

I am once again putting offers out from my previous listing over a year ago. I am parting out my unit:
I just upgraded to an LCD TV because of my yellow picture. I was going to list on eBay but I remembered this forum. If anyone needs a part from this tv let me know, I will sell parts for a very reasonable price. Again my blue filter is bad; most likely caused by an aftermarket lamp so I would not recomend my lamp. I did have the tv apart so I can send just the individule parts so shipping is cheaper.
Please email me at jafoo@wi.rr.com with any requests or questions. I check the email nightly on week days.
I am located in south east Wisconsin.
Panasonic PT-43LC14
I can send pics if needed.
Ballest PCB is gone.
post #170 of 239 Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 PM

Do you have anymore of the vermillion film left?

David Irwin
post #171 of 239 Old 10-30-2012, 06:31 PM

As of October 2012, I still have plenty of polarizer pieces that will repair your yellowed areas on Panasonic models PT-43LC14, PT-50LC14 and PT-60LC14.
post #172 of 239 Old 11-01-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlemur View Post

As of October 2012, I still have plenty of polarizer pieces that will repair your yellowed areas on Panasonic models PT-43LC14, PT-50LC14 and PT-60LC14.

Hi,
I 'inherited' a PANASONIC PT 60LC14 60" rear projection TV that has a large yellow 'blob' centered in the screen. I would be willing to buy blue polarizer piece(s) from you, all I need in addition to that is detailed instructions on replacing this film (tint)
My email addy is kalanikaau@yahoo.com

Thanks !
post #173 of 239 Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 PM

Does anyone have a piece of that film I can have? I want to try it out on my Sony which has the same problem.
post #174 of 239 Old 11-18-2012, 09:24 PM

I'm attempting to get to this light assembly right now. I read through the forum and felt comfortable tearing in. I am sure my blue fiter is bad since it has a very pronounced yellow-ins circle in the middle. problem is I don't have much experience in these types of TVs (PT-60LC14). How much do I actually have to disassemble? I took the back off, then the ballast, then the air scoop thing, now I'm just going to give my self a day to look at it. Do I have to take the whole shell off and/or pull the tuner part out? Not much out there other than this thread. Thanks
post #175 of 239 Old 11-18-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNMO View Post

I'm attempting to get to this light assembly right now. I read through the forum and felt comfortable tearing in. I am sure my blue fiter is bad since it has a very pronounced yellow-ins circle in the middle. problem is I don't have much experience in these types of TVs (PT-60LC14). How much do I actually have to disassemble? I took the back off, then the ballast, then the air scoop thing, now I'm just going to give my self a day to look at it. Do I have to take the whole shell off and/or pull the tuner part out? Not much out there other than this thread. Thanks

Never mind, impatiences got the best of me. I have it out and it is the usual culprit. I sent an email to the guy who had the filters before. I hope he still has them. Otherwise I hope someone else does. biggrin.gif
post #176 of 239 Old 11-18-2012, 10:18 PM

I looked at anchor optics and they don't seem to sell the vermilion right now. Is there another source anyone knows of I need to get this going asap. My kids were super excited about the TV we picked up for the play room. Dad just can't stand to see something not working corretly now the things is in a thousand pieces. smile.gif . I'd like to get it back together as soon as I can. I wonder if a camera supply store would sell the film. Is there a grade specific we should buy? Anyone know?
post #177 of 239 Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 AM

Look a little further up in this thread. superlemur still has some pieces. Just message him.
Take your time when taking the TV apart; there are a lot of little plug ins that if you go too fast, and aren't super careful, you could pull the wire out of the bracket, and then you're in for more costs if you choose to replace.

Follow this entire thread, there is a ton of input throughout that should make the entire process pain-free. Good luck, and post results, whichever way they go.
post #178 of 239 Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Ok thanks. Glad to know the forum is still alive. I sent an email to the link above in the thread spanner56@aol.com . I was a bit worried he might not still use it. Maybe he just hasn't had time to look at it. I will try the pm and see if that works, don't want to be a pest. I'm usually pretty thorough for an amateur, but if I wait too long to put it together I know I'll start forgetting how I got it apart. I bought this tv from a friend without seeing it and if I had not known the person I would have walked away. I'm trying to make the best of it so I don't feel ripped off because I know it wasn't on purpose. I know I could pick these things up all day on craigslist for less, but if I can fix this part I will be satisfied.
post #179 of 239 Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 PM

Is there a shade or tint we have established to be proper for the colors? I found B&H has tons of colored film. Some are even for high temperatures. I would think this will work as well as the other stuff but not sure what shade to buy to replace my blue polarizer piece.
B&H Photo
post #180 of 239 Old 11-24-2012, 01:07 PM

Got my part from SUPERLEMUR and put my PT-60LC14 back together this morning. So far everything is working awesome. Really saved me from a bad deal. I was surprised to see the filter didn't look like the same color as the old one. He assured me it would work and --BAM- it did. Thanks a lot to everyone in the forum. I just have to figure out what to do with the 2 dozen extra screw I had left over. smile.gif I guess I better not shake it too much.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page