Problem with Panasonic PT-43LC14: Yellow tint covering most of screen. Convergence ok - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 239 Old 06-21-2009, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, my girlfriend's parents just gave me their old Panasonic 43" projection HDTV. They replaced it because the colors are messed up. There is a yellow tint covering all but the upper right hand corner of the screen (which looks normal). They had someone come out to look at it and he told them the color engine (???) was bad and it would be $900 to replace. They had just replaced the bulb a few months previous and didn't want to spend any more money on it.

Anyway since they were going to just toss it I figured I'd take it and see if I can fix it. I'm comfortable taking apart and fixing electronics though I don't know much about projection TVs. I took several pictures so maybe someone here will know something. I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred to fix it but that's it.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 239 Old 06-21-2009, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

more pics
LL
LL
post #3 of 239 Old 06-22-2009, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Just from first glance, it looks like one of the filters got burned; perhaps the blue polarizing filter. Do a search here on this forum ... if I remember right, it can be replaced rather cheaply.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #4 of 239 Old 06-22-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The estimate for a light engine is the best you will get from a servicer. No servicer will tear into the innerds of a light engine because too many things can go wrong at that level. Good luck finding a diagram and part numbers for internal light engine parts...
post #5 of 239 Old 06-22-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

Good luck finding a diagram and part numbers for internal light engine parts...

The diagram and replacement/alignment procedures are located in the Service Manual, which can be obtained from Panasonic for around $30.

The part # indicated is LSXA0600, which appears to be a $200 part.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #6 of 239 Old 06-22-2009, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was able to find the service manual for the PT-43LC14-K for free. Is there any difference between the PT-43LC14 and PT-43LC14-K?

Tomwil, are you sure that's the part number for the 43" and not the 60"? The polarizer for the 50" is only $113 so i dunno why this would be more expensive. Perhaps it's more rare.

I think I'm going to go take it apart right now just to confirm that's the part that's broken. I'm assuming it'll look burned?
post #7 of 239 Old 06-22-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmos View Post

I was able to find the service manual for the PT-43LC14-K for free. Is there any difference between the PT-43LC14 and PT-43LC14-K?

My understanding is that the "K" manual is more complete than the non-K manual, and assuming your manual is the K web free version, it has the light engine parts that the regular service manual does not have.

Quote:

Tomwil, are you sure that's the part number for the 43" and not the 60"? The polarizer for the 50" is only $113 so i dunno why this would be more expensive.

If you look at section 17.2 MECHANICAL REPLACEMENT PARTS LIST, you will see that the manual lists two (2) POLARIZER BLUE UNITs. The $113 version is the LSXA0518 made for the PT-60LC14 (see the "C" label and match it up with the table at the top of the page). The models PT-43LC14 and PT-50LC14 use the $200 LSXA0600 (see the "A,B" labels and match it up with the table at the top of the page).

Whether the LSXA0518 can be used in your set is unknown, and might be an expensive mistake if attempted.

Although I have not physically seen a polarizer, I would think that if it is defective it would be discolored. Be aware that there are other polarizers and filters that could be bad also, but it seems the blue polarizer gives the most problems.

post #8 of 239 Old 06-22-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't have the parts section of the manual unfortunately so i'll take your word for it. I took the projection unit apart and one of the polarizers is definitely burned. The service manual does say that it's the blue in polarizer although it's not actually blue, it's a reddish pink. I guess that's normal?

I took several more pictures. My camera couldn't get a clear enough picture but there is definitely a fingerprint burned into the polarizer! I don't know if it was there from the factory or if some service person did it, but I believe this is the cause of the failure.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #9 of 239 Old 06-22-2009, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, that thing got TOASTED! Maybe we see the root cause of all the LCOS/SXRD woes?

The service manual for the Sony A3000 (my current weapon of choice) is near useless. No parameter lists, no parts breakdown of the optics block. I mean... come freakin' on, Sony!

By poking around other manuals (their SXRD front-pros) I've noticed that some have a "UV-proof glass" as part of the blue path. Is high UV output from the lamp killing the polarizers? Maybe we can DIY a pre-emptive fix.

Personally, I'd like to retrofit an LED assembly in place of the lamp. More efficient, cool-running... there must be a way...
post #10 of 239 Old 06-22-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have the parts section of the manual unfortunately so i'll take your word for it.

If you downloaded that manual where I think you downloaded it from (actually the first hit off of Google), then you do infact have that 17.2 section.

Where you extracted that downloaded zip file, open up the following file in a web browser:

NA\\PT-43LC14-K\\SVC\
avigator.html

It will bring up the table of contents. From there, just click on the 17.2 link, and it should bring up the page where the part numbers are.

Thanks for giving us all the pics!

post #11 of 239 Old 06-22-2009, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks.

I put the TV back together and now it keeps telling me to Select language. I press 1 for english and nothing happens. All it'll let me do is turn it on and off. I was able to get into the service mode but I can't do anything useful. The remote is working. WTH did I do?

edit: Nevermind, i got it. Had something hooked up wrong.
post #12 of 239 Old 06-23-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I decided to peel off the polarizer film from the glass. It's stuck on there with some heavy adhesive, so I soaked it in goo gone. I was going to try and move the film upward so that more of the transpart portion would be positioned over the LCD.

Anyway it appears the film has 2 layers and I was able to chip off most of the burned top layer. I scraped the rest off with a razor blade, then super glued the polarizer film back on. I kinda damaged it pretty bad with the razor blade so I figured it would look like crap. However I put everything back together and it looks WAY better. It went from unwatchable to bearable. Instead of being mostly yellow, it's now mostly normal with some small yellow blotches on the edges.

I attached some pics so you can tell the difference. (Sonic is actually blue!)

All of this has made me curious to see if I can replace the film for cheap instead of spending $200. I came across this site which sells small amounts of polarizer film for $6.50. The only problem is I don't know which one to get.
LL
LL
LL
post #13 of 239 Old 06-23-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

shawnmos -

I admire your quest in repairing your TV. Quite remarkable!

Just wanted to mention, that in in this post there is a person who got frustrated with his PT-50LC13 and mentions that he might give it away. Not sure if he is near you, but that TV will have the LSXA0518 filter which might work in your TV.

Please let us know of your continuing adventure!

post #14 of 239 Old 06-23-2009, 04:41 PM

Yes this issue is deffinetly a Color Filter burned out, most probably the blue one, since is lack of blue on the image
post #15 of 239 Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Hello,

My cousin found one of these in the trash demonstrating the same symptoms. It seems that this problem is quite persistent in these models? I too will try to scrape/clean the filter and see if I cannot improve somewhat the color. I do not intend on buying a part to replace, maybe if I can find one in a scrapped unit....

Thanks for posting shawnmos, you saved me a good hour or two of poking around troubleshooting!!
post #16 of 239 Old 07-10-2009, 05:19 PM

I am having the same issue after my kids unplugged the TV twice in one day. Can someone share the Service Manual for the PT-50LC14? I think a $100 part is way better then spending $1,000+ for a new TV (although I'd love a new TV). Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
post #17 of 239 Old 07-15-2009, 10:04 AM

Does anyone have a remedy for this? From the light sequence chart kindly posted by Tomwil, my PT-50LC13 apperently turns off because of forced cooling. My TV will produce a normal picture for approx. 30 secs, then turns off. The power button blinks red indefinitely, the lamp blinks every five secs and the front fan runs forever. I had the ballast and lamp replaced two years ago. I have vacuumed out the fan/filter device at the front, just to the right of the lamp hatch. I have ordered the ballast kit and will install the components upon arrival, only because it's an inexpensive option with which many posters on this site have had success. Anyone know of a more specific solution to the forced cooling option?

I will not purchase another Panasonic product again, as my own protest over these wide-spread bad experiences with this dog-turd TV.
post #18 of 239 Old 07-28-2009, 01:09 PM

I have the same problem with mine. I would love to find one in the garbage so I can fix mine.
post #19 of 239 Old 07-28-2009, 01:12 PM

My filter looks exactly like yours. How can I post pix?
post #20 of 239 Old 07-29-2009, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Click Post Reply and at the bottom of the message window there is something called Manage Attachments.
post #21 of 239 Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 PM

Here is what mine looks like. Very similar. Thanks
LL
post #22 of 239 Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yep, exact same problem.
post #23 of 239 Old 08-03-2009, 05:52 PM

I have A Panasonic Pt-50CL14, great to this point, only one bulb replacement in 4 yrs. I just started to see yellow in the bottom left side of the screen. I need a polarizer filter that goes after the blue filter on a Panasonic 3-chip rear projection TV (PT-50LC14). What the H---- is the proper part number for the filter, or the whole filter assembly, with blue filter and polarizer filter in a white plastic holder. Part #LSXA0518 or LSVQ0070.
Will work in these TVs also PT-50LC14.
My polarizer filter is burnt, causing a yellow blob where the filter is burnt.

johndmckay@comcast.net
post #24 of 239 Old 08-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Shawnmos, please post back if you tried to replace the polarizing film yourself, I was recently given the same model myself by inlaws with the same problem! Your pictures and comments along with info. from Tomwil have been invaluable, I might try this myself, thank you!
post #25 of 239 Old 08-05-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Whether the LSXA0518 can be used in your set is unknown, and might be an expensive mistake if attempted.

Been there, done that !

Panasonic only sells the
whole light engine for the PT50LC14. The polarizer unit for PT50LC13 can be
made to fit, with a small modification.
Compare the new polarizer unit to the old polarizer unit it may need some
plastic removed around the screw area (tabs on each side of screw), so the
circuit board will go back in place!

Try this link for Partstore
http://www.partstore.com/Part/Matsus...A0518/New.aspx

Also check out my reply to a post further down (rear projection units).

Quote:

All of this has made me curious to see if I can replace the film for cheap instead of spending $200.

I too an interested to see if there is another fix for this TV. My TV is exibiting the same systems, only one year later after replacing my blue polarizing unit !

post #26 of 239 Old 08-12-2009, 01:11 AM

Hello all, new to this site and darn glad i found it. Had this tv for roughly 4 years and i love it. But, I always wondered how long the bulb would last, then the other day the lamp warning came on and thanks to you folks I see the bulb has out lived its estimate, 10,034h and 2,452 LON and still going. This is the kicker, I turned it on today and the HDMI input is black with no sound. It seems the other inputs still work since i can watch tv via a standard cable input, dvd player, etc...Cant be the bulb right? Any ideas out there?
post #27 of 239 Old 08-27-2009, 05:54 PM

how to remove assembly for panasonic pt-50lc14 for film. got yellow screen.
post #28 of 239 Old 09-10-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
My TV is exibiting the same systems, only one year later after replacing my blue polarizing unit !

After replaced the blue polarizer filter on my TV I discovered that that was not the problem. Still trying to figure out what the problem is !

Duane
post #29 of 239 Old 09-10-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It looks like you replaced the wrong polarizer. The one that's physically blue doesn't polarize blue light but red light. So you need the red polarizer.
post #30 of 239 Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Would anyone who replaced this part be willing to send me their old polarizer?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page