Mitsubishi 73737 Service Menu Info - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 07-12-2009, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been watching the owner's thread (LINK) waiting for some info on the Service Menu, but it's been pretty slow coming. Since I am having a color issue I decided to dive right in. Here are my findings specifically from a WD-73737. Please correct or add more info and I will update this post.

I would really like to know what these are.
60.IDL
61.DBK

Service Menu Notes

Menu 2 4 5 7 to enter service menu

Live signal remains onscreen, press Play to “enable” test patterns. Use FF and RW to cycle through patterns. Press Play again to return to live signal. Patterns can be changed on any Sub Screen which allows you to select the best pattern for the adjustment you are making, except Geometry screens.

Sub Screens
1.HVPOS
-7 (Horizontal)
-2 (Vertical)
Thumb Arrow to adjust (L/R=Hor U/D=Vert)/Enter to set
Page Down to next item (Double arrow above and below Enter)

8.CCA
High/Low Temp settings for Brilliant/Bright/Natural 1=On 0=Off
When Off, the maximum is set for each color (128) and the High/Low Temp setting has no affect in the Brilliant/Bright/Natural presets.
High and Low Temp settings can be set individually for each Temp and for each preset.
CCA is also applied when you are using the ADV menu. However, since there is no High/Low setting in ADV, you only have the Low CCA setting.
The individual color settings below are only available when CCA is set to 1 (On). You will see L or H depending on your Temp setting.

Thumb Arrow to adjust/Enter to set (Must be set before exiting or changes are discarded)
Page Down to next item
The following were my default settings but each unit is most likely different.

27.GRWH 128 (RED)
Thumb Arrow to adjust/Enter to set
Page Down to next item

28.GGWH 101 (Green)
Page Down to next item

29.GBWH 112 (Blue)
Page Down to next item

60.IDL 33 (Caused moiré?)
Page Down to next item

61.DBK 1 (0 or 1)
Page Down returns to top item
(Does not appear to be functional on 737 models)

Press 0 at anytime to see the Save menu and Geometry options

Restore Engine Data From Backup (Resets CCA changes to factory)
Restore Geometry Data From Backup
Manual Geometry Alignment (To disable Geometry Correction [1:1pixel] select this. Press 1. Select enter then Exit.)
Restore Index Delay (#60?)
Save Engine And Geometry Setting To Backup

Any changes you make do not have to be saved. But they may be lost during a power outage.

Cancel/Menu/Back or Activity to exit

Reset is power button for 10 seconds
"Hard Reset" is accessed with MENU 1 2 3

Stats Menu

Menu/2470

(My Defaults)
Power restore--off
Production mode--off
Digital signal strength--n/a
DM software V41 011.00
Total hours of use-- xxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-12-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Here is what I found on the Geometry screen. But I really don't see the correct process for setting this yet.

Adjusting Geometry (plagiarized from another member, or 2)
Enter Service Menu
Select 0
Select Manual Geometry Alignment

Perimeter
Caution: Pressing 1 will reset your adjustments for all geometry screens!

- The start point is in the upper left corner and may not be onscreen, but it’s there.
- Adjust the point (if needed) with the arrow keys. The lines won’t move, just the point.
- Top and bottom points move Up and Down only. Side points move Left and Right.
- Corner points move in a four directions.
- Press FF to move to the next point in a clockwise direction. RW moves you counter-clockwise.
- You must advance to the next point after making a change.
- Press Enter to “set” your adjustments.
Here is the process I used for the perimeter.
Move all adjustment points as far to the center as possible.
Use the Horizontal/Vertical adjustments to center it as best you can.
Now adjust the top line outward to the very edge of the screen. Keep it straight using the bezel as a guide.
Continue with the same process for the remaining 3 sides.
Make any final centering adjustments.
Move on to the interior lines.

Interior Lines- From the Perimeter screen press Page Down.
- The 4:3 lines are highlighted in blue.
- FF and RW make incremental adjustments, just pick the best one.

- From the 4:3 screen press Page Down.
- The top Letterbox line is highlighted in red.

- From the top LB screen press Page Down.
- The bottom Letterbox line is highlighted in red.

Page Down returns to Perimeter
post #3 of 32 Old 07-12-2009, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

The SM seems pretty safe to me. As long as you don't "Save To Backup" you can always reload the defaults.
post #4 of 32 Old 07-13-2009, 02:54 PM

One thing I noticed on my 65737 when fiddling in the service menu -

with option: 61.DBK - It doesn't really matter what you set it to, 0 or 1 - it reverts back to the default setting, picture-wise.

I believe this is the Dark Detailer option from the 837 series, but it's usage is disabled on the 737, since no matter what you set it to - when you exit the menu it defaults back to factory, and the picture is not as bright/crisp as when you change it to "1" after first changing it to "0" in the SM.

also - my other numbers quite a bit different.

My factory defaults are:

GRWH - is set to 127

GGWH - is set to 106

GBWH - is set to 122

So obviously, Mits does some factory tuning on these sets before they ship.

Also - the CCA setting, when set at "1" disables the otehr color temp setttings. GRWH, GGWH, and GBWH are no longer configuarable with this option set to "1".
post #5 of 32 Old 07-13-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!
I noticed the oddities as well. I'm just waiting for the "expert" to chime in to let us all know exactly what they are.

I'm not too suprised that base color settings are different. Aside from variations in the manufacturing process, the screen size should cause some differences as well.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-15-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

I found some info on the CCA item. It came from a Samsung post but I assume it still applies. Appears to be an "auto color" type of function. Still waiting on some confirmation tho.

"CCA is Samsung's color coordinate adjustment system, which automatically corrects primary and secondary colors to system specifications, and therefore must be temporarily disabled before performing calibration of color and tint."
post #7 of 32 Old 07-17-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Stats Menu info added.
post #8 of 32 Old 07-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobachi View Post

with option: 61.DBK - It doesn't really matter what you set it to, 0 or 1 - it reverts back to the default setting, picture-wise.

I believe this is the Dark Detailer option from the 837 series, but it's usage is disabled on the 737, since no matter what you set it to - when you exit the menu it defaults back to factory, and the picture is not as bright/crisp as when you change it to "1" after first changing it to "0" in the SM.

My factory defaults are:

GRWH - is set to 127

GGWH - is set to 106

GBWH - is set to 122

Also - the CCA setting, when set at "1" disables the otehr color temp setttings. GRWH, GGWH, and GBWH are no longer configuarable with this option set to "1".

Hmmm.... This makes me wonder if there is a possibility of flashing the 737 to 837 firmware, that way you can get the dark detailer function in a 737
post #9 of 32 Old 07-21-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsman View Post

Hmmm.... This makes me wonder if there is a possibility of flashing the 737 to 837 firmware, that way you can get the dark detailer function in a 737

if there is some circuit in the 837 for the RS232 or the blue lights that requires some IC device to be initialized during boot up, then the 737 will crash and die and likely never recover.

risky move just for some free minor feature update.
post #10 of 32 Old 07-21-2009, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Someone will probably try it.
post #11 of 32 Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 AM

Can anyone supply any further detail on the GGxH settings. I have used them to adjust greyscale and i'm wondering if i did the right thing.

also,
Does anyone have a C9, 737, or 837 with more options than this in the service menu?
-Kip

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 32 Old 01-11-2010, 08:51 AM

I have a WD-60737, and am unable to get the geometry right. When horizontal images/lines are displayed in the upper half of the screen, they bow down in the center (pincushion effect?). I also saw in one thread that one owner had checked/adjusted his overscan settings. I tried to adjust the screen geometry via the 16-points around the edge of the screen to no avail. Could my overscan settings be off, therby preventing proper adjustment of the 16-point adjustments? Any info/thoughts links to advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm feeling kinda sick right now because it was much better before I tried to tweak it to be even better. :-(
post #13 of 32 Old 01-11-2010, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipperman View Post

Can anyone supply any further detail on the GGxH settings. I have used them to adjust greyscale and i'm wondering if i did the right thing.

also,
Does anyone have a C9, 737, or 837 with more options than this in the service menu?
-Kip

I had tried that too, but never could get a decent picture. I went back to the defaults and used the main menu settings instead.
post #14 of 32 Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D318 View Post

I have a WD-60737, and am unable to get the geometry right. When horizontal images/lines are displayed in the upper half of the screen, they bow down in the center (pincushion effect?). I also saw in one thread that one owner had checked/adjusted his overscan settings. I tried to adjust the screen geometry via the 16-points around the edge of the screen to no avail. Could my overscan settings be off, therby preventing proper adjustment of the 16-point adjustments? Any info/thoughts links to advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm feeling kinda sick right now because it was much better before I tried to tweak it to be even better. :-(

While you are in the Manual Geometry screen, press the Play button. This will bring up the 4:3 and 16:9 adjustments. Use FF/RW to select a setting, then press Play again to advance to the next one. Just try to pick lines that appear the straightest. It took me several tries.
post #15 of 32 Old 01-11-2010, 03:52 PM

The crazy thing is, I have gone to both the 4:3 and 16:9 adjustments, and the lines I selected WERE straight. I don't understand how I could still have images in the top half of the screen that are bowed down in the center.
post #16 of 32 Old 01-12-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The crazy thing is, I have gone to both the 4:3 and 16:9 adjustments, and the lines I selected WERE straight. I don't understand how I could still have images in the top half of the screen that are bowed down in the center.

Can you post a picture?

Also, don't save any manual geometry changes until you are certain you have things where you want them.
post #17 of 32 Old 01-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

My factory defaults are:

GRWH - is set to 127

GGWH - is set to 106

GBWH - is set to 122

I was thinking, perhaps these aren't for gray scale adjustment. Most likely they set the contrast level for that color sort of like the general contras5t control but for each primary. or they could be gain controls for use with the 3 primary color point when adjusting color accuracy.
post #18 of 32 Old 01-23-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I believe I have finally deciphered the CCA setting!

Many people have mentioned that they use such and such preset with High Color Temp or Low Color Temp, but when I tried those settings there was no perceivable difference. So I just quit trying to use Color Temp.

Then I was messing around with CCA again tonight and I happened to try the Color Temp setting again. To my surprise, it was now working. This made me curious so I started experimenting. I found that the CCA settings are in fact the High and Low temp settings. Here is what I added to the original post.

8.CCA
High/Low Temp settings for Brilliant/Bright/Natural 1=On 0=Off
When Off, the maximum is set for each color (128) and the High/Low Temp setting has no affect in the Brilliant/Bright/Natural presets.
High and Low Temp settings can be set individually for each Temp and for each preset.
CCA is also applied when you are using the ADV menu. However, since there is no High/Low setting in ADV, you only one CCA setting.
The individual color settings below are only available when CCA is set to 1 (On).
post #19 of 32 Old 01-23-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you downloaded the service manual to see if it has some insight?

post #20 of 32 Old 01-23-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by georule View Post

Have you downloaded the service manual to see if it has some insight?

Yes I did. I found no info on CCA.
post #21 of 32 Old 01-23-2010, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Were you able to find any info?
post #22 of 32 Old 01-23-2010, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, maybe not. I just tried to prove my theory by setting the same numbers for Low and High within the same preset. If I'm correct, when switching between Low and High the picture should stay the same, but it doesn't. It still pushes from cool to warm.

It does allow you to make changes to the Low and High temp settings for each preset, but there must also be an underlying setting that is preset to push your settings to warm or cool.
post #23 of 32 Old 01-28-2010, 08:29 PM

Anyone Brave enough to turn production mode on and see what it does?
-Kip

post #24 of 32 Old 01-29-2010, 02:19 PM
EG3

Liked: 17
Quote:

FIRST! : you should do your Horizontal/Vertical alignment (Overscan)
---After you have the best H/V position, PRESS 'ENTER' TO SAVE

SECOND! : Manual Geometry Alignment (16 points aligned flush with bezel)
---After going all the way around and you are back at the first alignment cursor,
PRESS 'ENTER TO SAVE'

THIRD! : 4:3 and Letterbox Alignment
---Once you have selected the straightest lines from BOTH 4:3 AND Letterbox mode, (4 lines; 2 blue left/right; 2 red top/bottom) PRESS 'ENTER' TO SAVE

LAST! : Touch-up
---Go back to the 16-point cursor alignment, make any adjustments that may be needed
press info to apply and show the correction.
PRESS 'ENTER' TO SAVE
post #25 of 32 Old 01-31-2010, 02:43 PM

So I believe that i was correct that these are grey scale corrections that adjust the upper and lower range at the same time. I have also found out the following

1) In Brilliant/Bright/and natural modes if you have the color temp set on Low then you will see GxWL in the service menu. If you have the color temp set to High, you will see GxWH. In ADV mode, you only have GxWL.

2) So, you can have 2 settings for grey scale.
One for:
Brilliant, Bright, Normal High temp - GRWH, GGWH, GBWH
And another for:
Brilliant, Bright, Norma Low temp and adv1/2- GRWL, GGWL, GBWL

Once you set them, these setting stay the same no matter what activity you are in. for example, if you set GRWH, GGWH, GBWH while you are in Brilliant High temp. then the setting will automatically be updated in Bright High temp and normal High temp.

Also , if you set GRWL, GGWL, GBWL in ADV2 then these setting will also change in Brilliant, Bright, Norma Low temp and adv1

These setting are not input dependent. Meaning the stay the same no matter if you select Ant, DVD, HDMI1, or VCR

-Kip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipperman View Post

also,
-Kip

post #26 of 32 Old 02-02-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Since you have an ADV2 I'm going to assume you have an 837 and not a 737.

Just so we don't confuse anyone any more than is necessary.
post #27 of 32 Old 02-15-2010, 06:33 PM

Excellent info!
post #28 of 32 Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 PM

First Post!
-----------

I'm trying to set up a Mitsu 837 for my father and am having a bit of difficulty. The picture is much larger than the screen. I can find no setting which will enable me to fit the picture within the size of the screen.

Normally, I'd just contact our retailer, but they went out of business a month after we purchased the tv (good thing we bought a warranty from them ).

There are also geometry problems, but they are minor by comparison.

If this question isn't germane to this thread, please let me know, and I will post in the appropriate place.

Thanks for your help!
post #29 of 32 Old 08-12-2010, 05:08 AM

Welcome to the site, nowaysj. This is called overscan and unfortunately happens on these tvs. You might want to get more information on these threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1142582
and here's a very informative FAQ
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post17396070
post #30 of 32 Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 AM

I have an HTPC connected through hdmi. I am also seeing some bowing on the geometry. I have been able to correct most of it, but there is still some noticeable bowing towards the bottom of the screen (mainly if I have a 4:3 video playing, or the windows desktop)

I have aligned the 4:3 and the 16:9 as straight as possible (why can't we adjust them manually too?).

Is there a way to reset the input to have 100% straight lines? (the restore from backup has bowed lines)
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page