Pioneer Pro 520-HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-02-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Pioneer Pro 520-HD is POPPING OFF every time we turn it on. There is a LOUD POP, the picture stutters for a second and then turns off. Sometimes it turns back on in 15 minutes, other times it takes hours.

What is the problem?

What parts can I order to fix myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-02-2009, 07:30 PM

Your power board needs to be completely resoldered:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=402397&pp=30

Dale
post #3 of 8 Old 11-25-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Actually the link above takes you to the beginning of the thread. There is no useful info there except problem description. In fact there is dangerous info there, if you just fix what's bad now without future proofing it!

Please go to the END of the thread and work your way backwards -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...402397&page=92

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #4 of 8 Old 11-25-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

This was just posted on another thread, thought I'd share it with you here -

Quote:
Originally Posted by najames View Post

Holy Cow Dave Harper!!! You said ISF is in Florida, so I decided to see where they're located. They're about 5-10 minutes from my house!! Didn't even know it, too darned funny.

I have an elderly Pioneer SD-532HD5 like this one.

http://www4.shopping.com/xFS?KW=pion...Video&FD=85747

I might just need to have this thing calibrated some day. It works OK and has been moved across the country twice, in storage for a couple years, never been touched except when I used the Avia disk set it up initially and when I moved here in Boca Raton 3 years ago.

Just noticed this post in another thread, from way back in '05.

Just so you know, those "elderly" CRT RPTVs are not old, they have a 20 year service life - or more, I've seen it, recently heard about a 29 year old Panny CRT 50" that's still cranking away just fine - and at today's stage are only halfway thru it. I know of an "old" curved screen bounce-off-the-screen Sears CRT whose guns fire at the hinged mirror that you pull out and let fall into place to start it up, that's still cranking away just fine too. We've been looking for someone to take it home and keep it going, or hopefully get it to some sort of video museum, tho I have never actually heard of one...

Well treated by their owners re. usage, light levels and avoidance of screenburn, they are capable of WAY better than new performance, even at 11 years old.

I am being flown all over the country cleaning and calibrating these "elderly" beasts, which are capable of incredible HD, head and shoulders better than a lot of the "affordable" fixed pixel offerings out there in today's marketplace. And better looking in some ways than all fixed pixel offerings.

The main thing that not everybody knows about them is that their optics need to be cleaned yearly, and on some brands - like the Pioneers, be they Elite or non-Elite - the "deeper optics" need it every few years as well. That's because of the air gap between the lens barrels and the CRT coolant covers, where 6 additional surfaces get invaded by dust, soot, smoke and all manner of other airborn contaminants, and thus compromised because of the high voltage turning them into powerful, continuous dust magnets every moment they are powered on. There's 28 optical surfaces in there that need to stay crystal clear, 10 of which get heavily compromised because of the HV. When all 28 surfaces are clean and polished and you have a crystal clear light path again, the results are truly astonishing. Like getting a brand new TV for a simple hour's work.

Just doing this one thing gives your "elderly" set a brand new looking picture - in my area my calibrations are called "The Sparkle Process" - and calibration after that is just incredible icing on the cake.

I started the "Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV!" thread here on AVS more than 5 years ago, and it is still going strong, with over 300 complete pages so far and over 9000 posts. If you have a CRT RPTV at all, HD or non-HD, I invite you to go over there and check it out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95922&page=327

If you have a CRT RPTV or know someone who does and want info about how to do your optics cleaning with no damage - those soft plastic surfaces in there are incredibly delicate, vulnerable and easily scratched, and any damage to them is permanent - contact me directly, by email or phone. No pm's please!

Thx -

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #5 of 8 Old 08-11-2013, 12:49 AM

this has been some really good info.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you. Hope it's helped.

If you want to know the stem to stern answer to the problem in the title of this thread, go to YouTube and watch this video:

http://youtu.be/I_VerYFt6Y8

It tells you all you need to know to keep your set safe and how to fix it as well, if you're qualified.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #7 of 8 Old 08-14-2013, 07:22 PM

wow thanks for all of this > really helped my aging 520hd..
post #8 of 8 Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Talk to me about that. What is the condition of the unit, has it had any of the blue flash issues, intermittent operations issues? If so what has been done about that?

Has the picture quality grown bleary over the years, making it look like a worn out old set with no dynamic punch? If so what has been done about that? I can fix that.

Have the optics been cleaned recently? Has it ever been calibrated? What's the story?

B

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page