Capacitor problem with Mitsu WD 52531 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-04-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help

Does anyone have a service manual or know how to change the capacitors on this unit. One of the (three I think) capacitors is covered partially with a yellow substance. Looks like epoxy. The last light I bought would come on only intermittantly but once lit would work just fine. I believe this is a bad capacitor and want to replace it. It is 820 microfarads and 200V. A good description or possibly some pics or the service manual section would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-04-2009, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
What is the exact symptom of the Tv?
Did you get an error code after it wouldn't come on?
What capacitor are you talking about? What board?
Is the top of the capacitor bulging?
If you want to change it, go ahead. All you need is a soldering iron. Maybe a knife to cut the globs of glue,
post #3 of 15 Old 09-05-2009, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

The first lamp for this tv lasted for about a year. I changed it and the tv worked fine for about another year. I bought another lamp and the tv would would come on occasionally. When it would start it would run continously until I would shut it off (10 or 15 hours or so ). The next time it might come on or it might not ( It would give me a code red under status). It ran this way for several weeks, then it wouldn't come on any more. I would get sound but the lamp wouldn't ignite. I went ahead and pulled the board out to inspect the capacitors closer and they are flat ( as they should be ) and the yellow substance looks like epoxy, maybe to keep them from vibrating. There are two 820microfarad-200v caps about 1/16" apart and the epoxy is between them. The board number is WD-525315700106A. I talked to one person (whom I got the second lamp from) and they said it was probably the capicitors or the board because it was unlikey to be the lamp,since it was new. Another person I talked to said that if the capacitors looked good it was probably one of the large transistors attached to the cooling fins.

Your input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance...
post #4 of 15 Old 09-05-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you need to replace the ballast. The part number is 938P055010 and it is about $200.

I do not recognize that board number. There is no error code 1. Mits uses a two digit code:
12 = no error
34 = lamp error (bad ballast or poor connection between ballast and lamp)
36 = lamp fan
37 = dmd fan
66 = bad lamp
...etc

To get the error code- Wait for the Tv to fail again. After it attempts to start up three times it should stop and then a solid orange or red light comes on the front. Now on the front panel press and hold MENU and INPUT buttons until the error code starts blinking.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-06-2009, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

The tv was working on the 5th after I did a reinitialize. Wouldn't start today (6th). error code 66 (Lamp wouldn't turn on).
post #6 of 15 Old 09-06-2009, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

If I do indeed have to replace the ballast (p/n #938P055010) could I get a detailed description of how to do this? I believe it plugs directly into the lamp?? And does this mean I have to loosen up the adjusting screws on the light engine to get to the ballast and then realign it when I'm done?? I will post a couple of pictures from the manual to see it I have the right idea on how to proceed. I believe the ballast mentioned is the one labeled PWB-Ballast in the second picture and the procedure to get at it is in the third picture. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
LL
LL
LL
post #7 of 15 Old 09-07-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Error 66 with a new lamp is most likely the ballast. I had one of these that kept blowing the new lamps I put in until I replaced the ballast.

Yes the ballast plugs directly into the lamp. Yes you will have to pull the entire light engine all the way out to get to the ballast. Yes there may be some alignment after putting the light engine back in.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-07-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'll get into it after I get a new ballast. Then I'll post an update.

Thanks again.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-23-2009, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Here's an update. I replaced the ballast and still had the error 66 occasionally. Then the TV wouldn't come on for several days. Then it came on real dim and reported an error code 34. I believe this is "lamp turns off while running" and indicates a power board problem. I think my next step is to replace the PWB-POWER board (pn#930b943001). What do you think?
post #10 of 15 Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Wonder if the lamp that's in there took a beating while it was plugged into the defective ballast? May want to try a new lamp with the new ballast.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-11-2009, 10:17 AM

Did you ever get a service manual for the 531 TV? Did replacing the ballast solve the problem?
post #12 of 15 Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Here's an update...I'm still having major problems with this TV. I changed the ballast and still had problems with the set coming on. Error 66. I recently replaced the high output ballasts (3@200v 820mF). This also failed to fix the problem. Are there any other suggestions for me?

Thank you for your time,
Gerry Long
post #13 of 15 Old 03-19-2010, 01:45 PM

I just put a new lamp in my WD-52531 and I'm getting the red status LED. WHen I go through the procedure for the error codes, the green LED flashes four times, then it goe out, then four times, goes out. does the flash sequence eight or nine times, lost count. Any idea what error I'm looking at?
post #14 of 15 Old 12-24-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {{clewless}} View Post

Here's an update...I'm still having major problems with this TV. I changed the ballast and still had problems with the set coming on. Error 66. I recently replaced the high output ballasts (3@200v 820mF). This also failed to fix the problem. Are there any other suggestions for me?

Thank you for your time,
Gerry Long

Did you ever find a solution Gerry? I am just now having the exact same symptoms (Timer light, no power, push power again, then timer light is followed with lamp light, and error code 66).
If this thread was not here I would just purchase a lamp and then a ballast according to the service manual, but it seems this did not solve your problem so I am concerned about putting the money into those items. What are your thoughts?
post #15 of 15 Old 12-17-2011, 08:42 PM

I have a Wd 62531 the tv wouldturn on audio would play then shut down and the dreaded red light appeared. So I replaced it with a new lamp, still the dreaded 66 code for bad lamp. I removed the lamp cartridge many times over. Finally broke down and started removing the Light Engine. Well in the process of doing so I noticed the connectors for the lamp cartridge were split in half. One half still secured to the housing, the other floating freely. So just some advice before diving into replacing the lamp ballist. check this little unfortunate circumstance (which caused me anger and a wasted afternoon wondering and searching the internet for the best solution).
This could be the problem for anyone having the dreaded red light on after replacing the lamp.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page