My Samsung HL61A750 just died! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Samsung HL61A750 just made a lowd pop and I lost the picture (screen went black). I had a red light (Left Light), a green light (middle light), and green light (far right light) displayed. The far left light red light would only stay on for a second or two, with two greens remaining on. Also the Blue remote would not turn off the tv and blue light remained on. I looked all over for any type of reset button but I couldn't any. l

I got my tv late January 2009 and it is still under factory warranty and I have Crutchfields extended warranty, so I am covered. I have a Samsung Service Center nearby and I sure hope it is an easy fix that they can do on the spot.

I wonder if I need a firmware upgrade?

Anyone experience the same thing?

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Am I watching too much TV???
Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Front Panel LED Indicators

Stand By / Temp (Blinking) Timer (Blinking) LED (Blinking) means LED

Means LED may be defective. These are the lights that I have, but it does change the number or lights when I press the remote on and off.

I hope replacing the LED won't be a problem.
Henry
post #3 of 18 Old 09-21-2009, 02:49 AM

That noise was your light (lamp) going out....they actually explode.....it's not a big issue....you just need to replace the light unit....I just did mine and it cost $129.99 plus tax, shipping & handling for a total of $162.32 delivered to my door...It should be covered under your warantee but in some cases they cover everything "BUT" the light....They should last at least a couple of years but depends on usage .......After replacing mine about a month ago (I've had it for about 3 yrs) it was like having a new TV......The lights gradually get dimmer before they burn out.....BTW those LED's are telling you the light needs to be replaced.....Here is a link to order the unit....It's an easy install and doesn't need a tech to replace.....you should have instructions in your manual but if not they are also included with the unit......Hope they replace for you however........best luck

http://www.samsungparts.com/Default.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1
post #4 of 18 Old 09-21-2009, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
OF course, there is no lamp in these units. The noise was probably a capacitor or such. If it was out of warrantee, you would probably "poke" inside to see if you could spot something obvious BUT since its under warrante, a service call is your best bet.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-21-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Guys thanks, I already called Samsung and made arrangements for a service tech to come out. They gave me a transaction number and the service center need to wait on delivery of parts that they would need. At least it is still under warranty and it is not as much trouble as my old Mitsubishi dlp tv.

Henry
post #6 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

I talked to sales associate at Best Buy he said all Samsung's are mass produced and that is why they have a lot of problems. Unlike Panasonic and Pioneer who spend more time on their products. It is making me wonder if I should have gone with a Panasonic TC-P58V10 or TC-P54V10 which 600 Hz (much better quality).

I got a great deal on my Samsung HL61A750 and really liked the quality of the picture, but I don't want to regret that decision. I just have to wait and see after they get the my tv repaired. Maybe this is why the discontinued this model!!!

Henry
post #7 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 AM

anybody else hear a popping sound when their tv is turned on for about a half on an hour? I hear that popping sound every time.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-23-2009, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mayhem69;

Prior to my tv going out, I would often get those loud popping sounds. It would really a startle my Rhodesian Ridgeback Holly making her want to investigate. Maybe it was early sign something was going to fail. I would be curious to find out if anyone else experience the same.

The Panasonic TC-P58V10 is sounding so much better each day I wait for my parts to arrive. I might still get one.

Henry
post #9 of 18 Old 09-24-2009, 03:27 AM

OPP's.....My bad....misread the model number....you are LED powered model....not Lamp.....Well, for anyone who has DLP model with lamp maybe I helped you......lol
post #10 of 18 Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Update! I bought a Panasonic TC-P58V10 and it is going to be delivered within 15 minutes. No more problems with DLP's anymore for me.

Henry
post #11 of 18 Old 09-24-2009, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

My Panasonic TC-P58V10 is here and is working great. It is a little smaller than the
HL61A750 but is a small trade off for a better working tv.

Now all I have to do is wait for the Samsung service people to give me a call, and see if they can save it.

Henry
post #12 of 18 Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmhoshino View Post

I talked to sales associate at Best Buy he said all Samsung's are mass produced and that is why they have a lot of problems. Unlike Panasonic and Pioneer who spend more time on their products. It is making me wonder if I should have gone with a Panasonic TC-P58V10 or TC-P54V10 which 600 Hz (much better quality).

So what? Aren't all TV mass produced, anyway? I think your problem merely reflects that rear projection TVs are more like to go out than plasmas or LCDs.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-25-2009, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Stillwater;
I didn't really want to say didn't have as much quality control and the parts they use don't have to meet as strict standards. That is a lesson I learned the hard way, I am now a plasma person all the way. The newer plasma's are a lot better.

I have to tell you that I had a Samsung LCD go out after two years, another problem caused by poor parts that they used in manufacturing, according to my BB repairman. He told me it was a part that had been recalled, that they had to replace but my tv just happened to last a little longer. Another reason to get the extended warranty.

It makes me wonder if they are building there products that way?

Henry
post #14 of 18 Old 09-25-2009, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The LED DLPs should be relatively trouble free compared to bulb based units. I think you are reading too much into your one isolated failure. Depending on what you use your set for, a plasma may or may not be a decent replacement for an LED DLP TV.

How did you get the refund on the DLP anyway?

Matt
post #15 of 18 Old 09-25-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Turls;
That wasn't not me, that was another person that had the same tv as me and the same error messages as me. He also had convergence issues, which I didn't have and he was able to get a refund.

The Samsung repairman is coming tomorrow and I will have to wait and see if they can fix it. I will post an update and let you know how it goes.

Henry
post #16 of 18 Old 09-26-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Update: The repairman came with all his parts and he couldn't get it to work, He determined it need a new LED light engine and power supply which cost more than a new tv. He has to go back to his boss get that authorized. The have to go through three or more house calls before he can get authorization replacement or refund. He difinitely said that this model wasn't worth fixing and would be like throwing money away.

Needless to say my problem still goes on.

I had my Panasonic TC-P58V10 on and he was so impressed he wanted to get one.

Henry
post #17 of 18 Old 01-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Henry,
So what finally happened??? I have the same tv and mine just got the dreaded 3 blinking lights today. It's only 9 months old!! I started searching this and it appears to be a common problem with this model. I did not understand what you meant about three house calls before getting an authorization. Could you expalin that? Did you get a refund or have it finally repaired? I'm calling the authorized repair center tomorrow, just wanted a heads up on what to expect.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 PM

What did happen?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page