My 50inch DLP Thinks It's A 60inch! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-23-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This sucks! I turned my television on the other day (SAMSUNG HLT5076S), and noticed that the image didn't look right. I began poking around a bit, and realized that there was something seriously wrong with my system... despite it being less than 2 years old! Ugh.

So here's the situation: The television appears to be over-projecting the image. All the video hangs off the bottom of the screen (including the internal menus, so it's not an aspect ratio setting). Additionally, I'm getting a bend in the video towards the top of the screen, and vertical lines bend inward like a pyramid.

The picture still looks pretty good, and audio is fine. No matter what the input (even when there's no input), the problem persists. I've entered the factory code, made sure settings weren't on shop, and then reset everything back to the factory defaults but no change.

As I said, it's less than 2 years old, but out of warranty by a few months. If I had hair, I'd be pulling it out.

Here are some pictures of the problem:

Notice how slanted the HD bars are on the left and the right.

The video is so blown out at the bottom, that you can't even see the ticker.

See how even when there's no input, the top left identifier is still warped off the screen.

The internal menu at the bottom of the screen gets cut off too.

Bottom menu is cut off, and the expanded menu above is warped.

Even the Cablevision graphic at the bottom of the screen is cut off and warped and Wilford Brimley doesn't like that. He's got diabetes, damnit.

Anyway that's the situation. I've asked some engineer friends of mine what they think, but they're not really experts on DLP televisions so they don't have much to add. They did get me the code to restore the television to it's factory settings, but that didn't help it... so I'm thinking it's a hardware issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I didn't do anything to this TV didn't bump it, didn't move it, haven't even plugged anything new into it recently! I don't know how it just got all messed up spontaneously.

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-24-2009, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm not an engineer. But it just looks like maybe the large mirror on the back of the set got loose and is sagging, or some other mirror in the lens got out of alignment. Or lastly, the front screens are sagging?

PS: And one thing you don't want to see is a larger, more rounded Wilford Brimly!
post #3 of 4 Old 09-24-2009, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
+1
However make sure that you have your Picture/Size setting to "Just Scan" to eliminate the possibilty that your TV is not also overscannng it's input at the same time that there appeas to be a light path geometry problem.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
When I reset back to factory settings, I re-selected "Just Scan."

I think I'm going to have to open it up, and see if there's anything glaringly wrong with it.

Thank you for the help! We're getting closer!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page