Light area in middle of Samsung DLP screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2009, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Forgive me if this is covered in another thread. I've searched but haven't really turned up anything exactly like this. I've got a light area in the center of my screen, a HLS5687W 56" DLP. It starts a couple of inches in from the bottom, and there's a hard edge where it starts. It's about 6 inches wide or so at the bottom, then gets thinner as it goes up, and goes up about a foot or foot and a half. It looks like whatever is backing the screen on the inside has come loose on the bottom and is letting light in. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 12:44 PM

I have the same exact thing with mine and if there is a solution, that would be awesome. I'll post pics tonight.

It's not a reflection. It's coming from the inside of the set.

Don't go format neutral. Your wallet will thank you.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 PM

I'm surprised that no one else has experienced this.

Don't go format neutral. Your wallet will thank you.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:32 AM

I have the same problem as well - Samsung HLP6163w which is about 4 or 5 years old. It looks like light is leaking from somewhere. It isn't really bad enough that I feel the need to do anything about it but it definitely wasn't there when new.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue Fredster. Anyone have any advice, or think it may be related to the Light Tunnel issue? I just want to have as much info as possible before calling Samsung, especially since some with the tunnel collapse are first told there's nothing they can do, but then once mentioning they know about the suit, etc. they get it fixed for free.

Anyone???

Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It's not a light tunnel issue. Light tunnel problems show as a shadow on the side of the screen.

I remember, when these tv's were new, some people had light leaks like the pics show and they were usually determined to be a warping of the screen in the bezel. So the screens no longer were straight across, so try a side view look at your screen and see what you see. Many just had to live with it as the bezel was just too weak to support the screen over time. Some got lucky and they replaced the screens. But after all this time I doubt they'll do anything about it.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Bringing this back from the dead. I had them come out to see if it was the Light Tunnel issue, which they deemed it was not. I figured as much but figured I'd at least try. His best guess was that it was something causing the light to refract in the internals somewhere. He said he could tear it down for around $200, but that doesn't guarantee he'd find anything or be able to repair it, so I haven't gone that route yet. He said it could be on the bulb/lens itself, or once you take that out, there's "a piece of glass" right behind that it could be on. I pulled the bulb, it had some dust inside of it, even a larger speck. I got that out and it didn't help. Again, didn't figure it would, but worth a shot. I'm not sure what the piece of glass is that he's talking about. The bulb is facing to the left, and I used a mirror to look at what is in front of it and don't see anything on the small lens or whatever it is I can see. I completely misunderstood what the inside of one of these looked like when I orginally posted. It looked like something just inside the screen was coming loose, but after removing one of the "port hole" plastic covers on the side, I can see that's not the case. Any suggestions on something that isn't too deep into the set that it could be?
Old 03-20-2010, 01:41 PM

I tore apart my 46" Samsung DLP last weekend. I have this exact same issue. There is a metal housing with a piece of glass behind it between the lamp and the color wheel. The glass has an area at the bottom that is cloudy/burned/etched. I tried to clean it, and it doesn't come off. I'm going to tear apart the set again this weekend to see if this glass is part of the light tunnel or is a separate piece of glass.
I called Samsung today, and they will not pay for a repair. Set is 5 years old and out of warranty. I also called and spoke with a repair tech at ABT electronics in Glenview, IL. He thinks it may be the light tunnel.
I'll post what I find after I tear apart the set again.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:22 PM

It turned out to be a small piece of glass attached to the color wheel with a metal clip. Going to try to replace this instead of a $125+ color wheel.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 PM

Was going to post a topic with this exact same problem I've just noticed in the last few days on my 2+ years old Samsung DLP 5687 model. I have a picture and it looks almost exactly the same as yours, attached the pic. Keep me updated how this goes as I'm not very comfortable in opening and looking around my tv.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 AM

Liked: 13
I've got the same problem on my 4yr old HLS6188W. Is the small piece of glass that furdburfel2000 mentioned the problem and did replacing it correct the issue?

Thanks,
Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 AM

A light spot in the lower center of the screen is indicative of too much ambient light in the room. If I'm correct you should be able to see it even with the TV off.
With the TV off, shine a flash light directly on the screen. You should see a bright spot in the lower center region of the screen.
The only way to eliminate it is to eliminate the other light sources in the room.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

fred96WS6:

I've been meaning to bump this thread as well and see if he had any luck. I've also PM'd him, I'll let you know if he answers. Sorry to hear you're in the same boat!

vandu:

Thanks for the reply. Actually, that's kind of what it looks like in the pictures, but it's indeed in the set. It's there even at night with no lights on. I wish it was as simple as cutting down on ambient light! Unfortunately, no such luck.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My Samsung RPTV developed similar light areas. For me each was about the size of a baseball. Very noticeable in dark scenes. It was my light engine. Which is too expensive to replace which is why my warranty company is providing me a new tv.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Old 09-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Just wanted to bump this thread. After replacing my bulb, I started noticing a similar problem. I wanted to know for sure if this was a light engine problem.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 AM

The first step to get Samsung moving on repairing the defective color wheels is to Call SAMSUNG ( 1-800-SAMSUNG). When I called Samsung, they said they don't have reports of this issue. If they get enough calls, they may actually make good on their product. I know the other thing they understand is litigation (e.g., the defective light tunnels on their DLP's). Hopefully, they see the light.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:48 PM

Guys, see my threads listed below. I have been having a similar issue with my 2007 DLP for about a year now. Mine is a horizontal bar of light across the lower 1/4 of the screen...slightly above where the top edge of a black bar would be on a letterboxed scene.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1278349

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1251455
Old 09-30-2012, 02:53 PM

Old 10-01-2012, 11:21 AM

I am having ths exact problem. I replaced the bulb and color wheel about 2 years ago so I am wondering if I just need to replace the bulb or if there is another problem. If anybody got this resolved and could post the fix, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I've pretty much just lived with mine. I still think furdburfel2000 is on the right track with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by furdburfel2000 View Post

I tore apart my 46" Samsung DLP last weekend. I have this exact same issue. There is a metal housing with a piece of glass behind it between the lamp and the color wheel. The glass has an area at the bottom that is cloudy/burned/etched. I tried to clean it, and it doesn't come off. I'm going to tear apart the set again this weekend to see if this glass is part of the light tunnel or is a separate piece of glass.

I called Samsung today, and they will not pay for a repair. Set is 5 years old and out of warranty. I also called and spoke with a repair tech at ABT electronics in Glenview, IL. He thinks it may be the light tunnel.

I'll post what I find after I tear apart the set again.

I just haven't gone through the trouble of trying it out myself. rolleyes.gif If anyone does, let us know if it works!