Need recommendations - 70"+ HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2009, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a three year old 70" JVC that needs a light engine (this will be the third one). I have an extended warranty but the warranty company is telling me they'll probably just refund my purchase price rather than repair the unit.

It's a big room and I need a large set, but it seems like most of the large screen manufacturers have abandoned the business.

I haven't kept up with things. I don't even know who makes such units so I'm asking for your help. If the warranty company does as they say I'll have about $2,900 to spend.

What do you recommend? A friend has a 65" unit and it would be too small.

Thanks,
-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Mitsubishi is the only one I know of. Looked pretty good to me in the store. Have you considered front projection? That's a better option for a huge screen, if you can keep the room dark enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I had seen that Mitsubishi set listed. I guess that's the only one.

No, I can't use front projection in my room.

-Joe
post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 422
I did a search on eBay and Cleveland Plasma still has some of the last 72" Samsung (lamp) DLPs available - new. I'm not sure how they compare to the Mits.

post #5 of 7 Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I did a search on eBay and Cleveland Plasma still has some of the last 72" Samsung (lamp) DLPs available - new. I'm not sure how they compare to the Mits.

I got one of those last month for $2098. It was either that or a mitsu. I played with a mitsu 73" at Costco last month. This is a horrible place to mess with a TV, but I think the mitsu might have better black. I have read lots of complaints about the color accuracy of the set though. One thing that was obvious was the depth of the mitsu- it was huge! The Samsung is much slimmer and helped me reclaim some real estate in my living room.
I am happy with the picture, detail is excellent as is the color (my previous set was a meticulously tweeked Sony 65" crt high def set). Initially, I saw lots of rainbows, now I rarely do. I think these sets need a few weeks for break in.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-17-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I don't understand what happened to all the larger sets. Is DLP dead?

You'd think the trend would be for larger and larger sets, not eliminating the entire 70"+ class.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-18-2009, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgo View Post

I guess I don't understand what happened to all the larger sets. Is DLP dead?

You'd think the trend would be for larger and larger sets, not eliminating the entire 70"+ class.

No, DLP isn't dead. It is alive and well in the front projector area. It is in the rp area that it is dying. Samsung stopped making them earlier this year (I think my set was made 4/09, I'd have to check to make sure). Mits is the only one still making them but hey, they are in the game.
Manufactors have walked from different technologies. We have seen the following come and go:CRT, LCD projection, SXRD, Ila (but JVC is still using it for front projectors) and now DLP is going the wayside. Plasma is starting to go away, and if the energy rules on TV's in CA spread to other states, who knows?
The tech being pushed now is LCD, but this is temporary as it is a stop gap for oled. LCD gets very expensive when you go up in size a little, I don't think there are any lcd sets bigger than 65". OLED will bring back big tv and will be the be all end all, make LCD look like junk. Problem is that it won't be out practically for a few years, so for now, get a DLP. I read somewhere that Sony is putting lots of money into OLED.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page