RCA D52W135D Picture size/center adjustments - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a RCA Scenium rear projection unit that needs some adjustments to the picture and I can't find anything in the user manual or remote/menus to perform them.

I have an AT&T Uverse box hooked up into the DVI port of the TV using a HDMI-DVI cable and the picture is off center. I'm running it at 1080i. If I select a normal 4:3 show, the black bar on the left is much smaller than the black bar on the right. The Uverse menus are cut off when viewing, so it is rather difficult to use. If I connect it through the component inputs (also at 1080i) the picture is more centered, but still slightly off center. I want to use the DVI port for the Uverse so I can hook up a game system and an external DVD to the two component inputs. Both inputs seem to be zoomed in too far (the picture is too big to fit on the screen). I've tried to select different aspect ratios from the remote and perform zooms, but it does not seem to change anything when using the 1080i feed.

Does anyone know if this TV has some type of service menu that I can access to perform pan and zoom functions similar to a computer monitor? Is there another way to adjust the picture?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR... Try with the Tv OFF, Press and hold MENU, VOL DOWN, CHANNEL DOWN. After about 8 seconds the Tv should turn on and it will be in service mode. From there are several submenus, you want Geometry. WRITE DOWN ALL ORIGINAL VALUES. Try not to adjust anything except Horz/Vert size and position. And if you do adjust size, you may end of having to re-do the whole convergence setup which is a long process for the inexperienced. FINAL WARNING-YOU CAN SCREW UP YOUR TV IF YOU CHANGE THE WRONG ITEM.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hammerdwn,

Thanks for the help. I got into the service menu (it wound up being just chan down and vol down) and started to look around. Some of the adjustments I figured out, others I'm not certain of. I adjusted them all to try to figure them out (and then exited without saving), but would appreciate it if you could help decode some of the names.
  • V-Slope - Not certain, this cuts the screen in half and then moves the upper half up and down
  • V-Amplitude - I'm assuimg vertical zoom
  • V-Position - Vertical (y) position on the screen
  • V-Linearity - Not certain
  • H-Position - Horizontal (x) position
  • H-Amplitude - I'm assuming horizontal zoom
  • EW Amplitude - I'm assuming a pincushion type adjustment
  • EW Trapizoid - Looks like it anchors the lower edge of the image and slides the upper edge left or right
  • Breathing - Not certain
  • H-Parrallel - Not certain
  • EW Symmertry - Not certain
  • EW Upper Corner - Not certain
  • EW lower corner - not certain

If you have any 'rules of thumb' for dialing in an image, I would appreciate it. Do you start with a center point and then work with zooms or start somewhere else. I'm guessing there are guides out there already, but I don't know what to search for. If you could pass on a link, that would be great.

Thanks again for the help.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

One more note. I found a test pattern from RCA today and used that to set my center position and then grew the horizontal image to fit the screen. I think my DVD player compressed it vertically (or this TV is not a true 16x9 or the image was not a true 16x9), so I just stretched it vertically so I could see the top and bottom of some shows.

What I noticed is the image is rotated on the screen (or at least the uverse menus are). I could not find any rotate settings in the menu. Do you know if there are any rotate options or does that get into something more complex?

Thanks
post #5 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I don't get that deep into all that. Just do what is needed to get the Tv working and good enough picture. Of course I know some brands more than others, RCA not so much... good luck
Reply Rear Projection Units