Looking for Advice on How To Fix a Mitsubishi WS-65857 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-01-2009, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have an old Mitsubishi WS-65857 65" rear projection CRT HDTV, and it has been working great until it developed an issue. I realize it is nearly impossible to diagnose a TV based on a description of the problem, but I thought I'd see if some of you gurus happened to know of any common problems that would cause my symptoms and if this would be a "do it yourself" fix, or a "call the repairman" fix:

When I power on the TV, it makes a very loud pop, and I get no picture. The CRTs do not light up at all.

I removed the top, and back panel, and there is a visible spark coming from (or very near to) the green CRT lamp towards the projection side facing up (not the pointy back, but the front that lights up) where the thick red high voltage wires go, but unfortunately the exact origin of the spark is obscured by a bevel which is part of the metal housing that the CRTs mount to. I might be able to get a better look if I stuck my head in there, but I am chicken since that spark seems pretty serious and loud.

I disconnected one of the thick red high voltage wires (they have plugs in a handy spot at the base of the TV) and with the proper one disconnected, the blue and red CRT will turn on and there is no pop/spark. So I have isolated the issue to be with the green CRT, or at least the high voltage going into it. Unfortunately, with the spark obscured, I can't see EXACTLY where it is coming from to further isolate, but I am hoping it is a simple short or faulty capacitor that can easily be replaced.

Anyone want to take an educated guess as to the problem? Is there any more information I can provide that would help? All replies welcome. TIA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-02-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You need to replace the green crt cost $250, install is not bad but the alignments after are tricky and takes experience. Labor will cost about $300.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-02-2009, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ugg, $550 is not good news. It's debatable if I should fix it at all. On the one hand, no way can I replace a 65" TV for anywhere close to $550, but on the other hand, I have already upgraded my main TV to a DLP about 2 years ago, and 65" was a bit overkill for the bedroom, and I could probably get something fairly nice and new (but smaller obviously) for not too much more than $550. Hmmmmm.

Thanks for your response hammerdwn. That's what I love about this place... I get a response from a "Real Life Tv Repairman".

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page