AVS Forum banner

Sony Wega KDF-E42A10 Blue discoloration on screen

53K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  dev199505 
#1 ·
I have a Sony Wega rear projection LCD tv and it has developed a blue discoloation on the screen. It is mainly visible when the image is dark such as when switching between tv and the computer or 360. And if the colors in a movie or tv show are dark its visible as well.

Would replacing the lamp solve this issue or would it be the light engine?

Thanks

See less See more
#27 ·
I am so glad that I found this thread, thanks to everyone who posted here, particularly those informing us that the replacement program was still operating.

My 2006 KF 42A10 had the blue coloration issue. I was prepared to junk my TV and buy a new one but after finding this thread I called Sony Canada at 1 877 899 7669 and found that as of October 2012 the replacement program still exists in Canada and operates very efficiently. I phoned , emailed off some pics of the problem and received an offer all within 1 week.

I had to sign not to reveal the details of the offer but I think it is safe to say that while the offer I received is slightly different to those described here, in my opinion it is a better offer. The $ value seems about the same but the nature of the offer is different. I am very pleased with the way Sony handled this.

So if you have this problem with your TV, contact Sony - you have nothing to lose.

EDIT: Sorry, the model number is KF-E42A10.

#29 ·
Mine is the KF E42A10 - a model that was sold in Canada and the phone number I gave is correct. It is Canadian Product Support.

Not sure why you got the fast busy signal, I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I got through. I just called that number and got through immediately.

Are you calling from the USA? 877 is a toll free number, not an area code and I wonder if it is programmed not to accept calls from the USA.

#30 ·
Yes, I was calling from the USA, dialing the 1-877-xxx-xxxx number. (wrong??),. Tried on at least 3 different phones--fast busy signal. Which email address did you get from them? I have an email ready with pics and serial number. Thank you for responding also!!

#32 ·
Are you basing this on a canned response or did you talk to a real rep? If a real rep wasn't helpful, did you ask to talk to a super rep? Did you also ask about alternative sites to contact? Reason I ask is that when I called for a replacement, the grunt answering the phones tried to blow me off. Keep in mind this was probably going on a couple years back. I did get bumped up and given an alternate number to try. Called them, and a couple people later they promised to email me back with a decision. Couple days later, had an offer in my inbox with the usual (at that time anyway) free, very nice, and upgrade choices. Sent in my screen pics and serial number, and had a shiny new LED flatscreen delivered about a week later.

Perseverence and civility may pay benefits ... worth a second shot anyway.

Luck with it.

PS ... I'd think by now anybody who DOES get a replacement on this offer should be grateful ... after all, it's about time most any electronics nowadays would be dying anyway. Not that I'd feel that way if it was MINE dying right about now. I may have been lucky enough to have mine die earlier in the cycle ... Luck being relative and all. I still miss my old one. The LED is nice, but the old WEGA was OUTSTANDING ... until it wasn't.

PPS ... I'm still tempted to dig some and see if I can get another 3LCD set ... hopefully one with a decent track record. Most of what I see still tops out at 720P, but I don't see that as an issue. Don't need to count pimples on faces ... that resolution is more than enough for me using a medium size screen in a medium size room. Supersized, it'd probably be a different story.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grashopa  /t/1204494/sony-wega-kdf-e42a10-blue-discoloration-on-screen/30#post_22558562

I was unable to take advantage of the program. I called the 888# and the TV that i have is the KDF-55E2000, oh well

Hello Grashopa,

Good afternoon! My name is Amanda Maffei here with the Sony Support team. If you're having any discoloration displaying on your KDF55E2000, please let us know by emailing us at Sonylistens@am.sony.com. When you do, please provide us with your contact information (mailing address, phone number, etc.), and a brief description of the issue. I assure you myself or one of my team members will get back to you with a response within 1 to 2 business days or sooner. Thank you, and we look forward to working with you! =)

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA

#34 ·

DO NOT GIVE YOUR INFORMATION TO THESE PEOPLE.. THEY ARE NOT WITH SONY. THEY ARE ALL OVER OTHER TREADS JUST TRYING TO GET YOUR INFORMATION. BE SMART. DONT GET SCAMMED.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grashopa

I was unable to take advantage of the program. I called the 888# and the TV that i have is the KDF-55E2000, oh well

Hello Grashopa,

Good afternoon! My name is Amanda Maffei here with the Sony Support team. If you're having any discoloration displaying on your KDF55E2000, please let us know by emailing us at Sonylistens@am.sony.com. When you do, please provide us with your contact information (mailing address, phone number, etc.), and a brief description of the issue. I assure you myself or one of my team members will get back to you with a response within 1 to 2 business days or sooner. Thank you, and we look forward to working with you! =)

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductlist  /t/1204494/sony-wega-kdf-e42a10-blue-discoloration-on-screen/30#post_22589861

DO NOT GIVE YOUR INFORMATION TO THESE PEOPLE.. THEY ARE NOT WITH SONY. THEY ARE ALL OVER OTHER TREADS JUST TRYING TO GET YOUR INFORMATION. BE SMART. DONT GET SCAMMED.

Good morning Ductlist!

I am sorry that you feel that we are trying to scam people to get their information. I can assure you that we actually do represent Sony and are here to help customers with the issues that they are having. To verifiy this you can check out the previous posts that we have made on this page. For further confirmation that we represent Sony, you can also check out our twitter page here https://twitter.com/SonySupportUSA or visit Sony's Facebook page here http://www.facebook.com/Sony?fref=ts .

If you are having any problems with your Sony Electronics that you need assistance with we will be happy to try and help you out. Just email us at Sonylistens@am.sony.com and either me or a member of my team will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Kevin Krause

Sony Support USA

#36 ·
I also have a blue streak on my sony kdfe50a10 purchased in 2006 and bulb replaced 2011. Based on what has been said before in this thread I did not see where I could lose trying this. I sent an email to sonylistens@am.sony.com and requested information about a replacement. I sent the email on 5-13-2013 at 3:38 PM. I received a reply on 5-13-2013 at 3:46 PM.

"I apologize however due to the age of the KDFE50A10, this model is no longer included in any replacement program. However, because we appreciate you as a customer and since retaining you as a customer is very important, we can offer a replacement option as a gesture of goodwill.

OFFER: KDL50EX645 for $550.00 + any applicable taxes."

That is an exact quote. So, as of 5-13-2013, there is still a chance to get a new tv for a substantial discount. The OFFER is for a TV that has been discontinued and did not get very good reviews from the pros (CNET and PC WORLD), although most regular people on a budget liked it. Best sale price out there now is about $998.00. Credit card is not to be charged until tv ships, and I check this daily. It has not been charged the $550.00 yet. Since shipping is free, all I have to give up is my right to sue Sony over my current tv (which I get to keep). Two things strike me as weird. 1. They must know something really bad if the are willing to settle this in this manner, and 2. I note they are sending me a tv that is no longer being sold once a store is out of stock. I sent in all requirements on 5-15-2013 by certified/return receipt mail, and today is only 5-16-2013. If I do NOT get my tv, I will be back for an update, but so far I am impressed with the service. If there are no more entries, assume all went well. No news is good news. Have you ever noticed there is never any roadkill within 1 mile of a fast food joint?

#37 ·
I have a similar problem with a blue haze down at the bottom of the screen. I have a KDF-E42A10. Replaced the bulb as that's what I thought would be the solution, nope, still there. So now I do some searching and find this forum and you guys are in the same boat. Well regardless of what has been said if that replacement program wasn't in effect any longer I called anyway. 888-993-7669 and was told that program no longer exists. Of course I told them what I thought of that and they offered to send me info on where to get it fixed or a 15% discount on my next TV. So I said that 15% was better than nothing. They said they would email me a coupon code to use. Waiting for the email now. Will update.

Larry

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyListens  /t/1204494/sony-wega-kdf-e42a10-blue-discoloration-on-screen/30#post_23449733

@ 1gallon,

Greetings Larry,

Please email your contact information and/or Event ID number to sonylistens@am.sony.com (Attn: E57950341) and I will follow up to insure the discount code has been sent to your email account.

Thanking you in advance,

Pat Kennedy

Sony Support USA

No

#40 ·
So I guess I should feel lucky. My '05 KDFE42A10 has been a fantastic HDTV for over 8 years. When (POP) the lamp blew. No biggie get a new lamp,only thing I may ever have to replace,said the salesman (bought 4 yr extended care package). Needless to say,but I will,the most I've ever spent on a TV and the shortest lived one. Now I find out I need more than a new bulb(check...got that)I need a rebuilt optical block(a plus, I found this site and learned a lot) that is not available any longer(saw a rebuilder site, wanted almost what I paid for the set and I would have R/R costs).

Bottom line, this is the 2nd Sony set to fail in as many years. I feel my investment in Sony products has been wasted. I will replace my rear projection set with a top notch LED for a third of what I spent 8 yrs ago and if it lasts me only 2 years,it will have cost me less per year than the rear projection set. But I will miss the picture depth and quality that can only be found in projection sets. Yeah, LED 3D is pretty deep...I thought this was going to be an easy fix. No such luck(and I'm Irish). The WEGA will be passed along(still works...just not well enough for my taste) and to the 15% coupon offer?...LMFAO-:

#41 ·

I also have a Sony plasma large screen TV - about 7 years old.  I tried replacing the bulb inside with a kit ordered online but this only made the problem worse.  So this year (Nov. 2013) we bought a Samsung LED for $1100 and we had to retire the Sony to a junk room because of the blue splash that developed on the screen.  It is very disconcerting but our Sony gave us many good years.

#42 ·
It has been a painful and expensive experience, this big old 70" monster, with stand...bought it in 2006, and have not only replaced the bulb 3 times, it also needed Other repairs twice, at my expense.
And now...the optical block is going...so the Final, and Worst, pain is this huge Dead thing ending up in a landfill, as it is useless to anyone else.
And since the Stand is made specifically for the TV...it too is useless...probably not even worth hauling to a thrift store.
Sad.

#43 ·
I know this is an old post but wonder of they would be able to help me at all. I have the KDF-E42A10 has blue horse shoe in the center of the screen though it is still usable found on YouTube a possible cause it's just finding the parts now. Do you think Sony still offers any replacements?

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.