Sony Wega KDF-E42A10 Blue discoloration on screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony Wega rear projection LCD tv and it has developed a blue discoloation on the screen. It is mainly visible when the image is dark such as when switching between tv and the computer or 360. And if the colors in a movie or tv show are dark its visible as well.

Would replacing the lamp solve this issue or would it be the light engine?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 41 Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikemma View Post

Anyone?

This is the optical block. The bulb will not cause this and a new bulb will make it show brighter. Light engine is used to describe a similar part but the Sony has no moving parts like those using an "engine". The optical block would need to be replaced or rebuilt. Tri state module will rebuild this for you for $299.99 plus shipping in both directions. I rebuild optical blocks but cannot find parts for this model. Good luck.
post #4 of 41 Old 12-10-2009, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
post #5 of 41 Old 09-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just developed a similar issue with mine. I did have a replacement bulb available (I've heard horror stories about exploding bulbs and thought it best to be prepared) and as previously mentioned, it just made the blue shadow brighter. All I'm getting is a slight blue flare on the right bottom of the screen, but I have seen a line all the way across the bottom with some programming. I thought maybe it was just poorly shielded speakers and turned those off - no improvement. That was more of a CRT kind of thing anyway, but maybe worth trying.

Would this be a doable DIY project, or require the services of a pro shop? If it has to go to the shop, ball park price of the repair? Also, I see a whole list of available engines listed (repair only) at TriState, but they don't say which one I need. I suppose I could call, but that'd be way too easy ...

Also, suppose I do spring for the repair - is the new one gonna go belly up in another five years also? Realistically, that wouldn't be a go/ no go for me - I really do like the quality of the picture and wouldn't mind having to spend a few bucks every now and then to keep it.

Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is a jar ...

post #6 of 41 Old 09-23-2010, 12:02 AM

wOw ...

w w w.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=865360

(I got an error message when I tried to post saying I can't post URLs. Harumph. See if this works.)

Apparently, I'm not the only one.

Not sure if I should consider myself lucky mine lasted as long as it did without problems. I'm gonna call Sony at the (800) number listed in the thread and see if I can get some sort of trade up deal to "fix" the problem.

post #7 of 41 Old 09-23-2010, 04:33 PM

YES!!

The program is still active. Called today, spoke with a representative, and she gave me the following choices for replacement of my KDF-E42A10:

KDL40EX500 - FREE (List $899)
KDL46EX710 - $325 (List $1799)
KDL55EX710 - $725 (Sale $2399)

Well of course, first impulse is always BIGGER is BETTER, but ... I've got a small viewing room and the 42" was always plenty. I'm only sitting 10 feet from the set. So, free is good, but there I'm going smaller. Harumph. I checked the specs, and the 46" EX series is a whole lot more box - edge LED backlight, lots more IO, got that wifi innernet thing going too. SOLD!

PS - they didn't even offer a repair option. Apparently, they've learned their lesson?

As mentioned, they do require the serial sticker off the back of the set and a color photo to verify the problem (they also got a blood sample, as I managed to nick my finger getting the %!$@# sticker off). Careful with that, eh. My printer sucks, so I asked if I could email a JPG - no way, so solly sir. So they get a sucky pic, but it'll have to do. All told five minutes first call, got my options, did some web comparisons, and called back with my selection - another five to complete the process. The ticket dies in ONE WEEK if you don't respond via mail within that timeframe, so keep that in mind.

~~~~~~~~

Fingers crossed the picture quality is up to the old box. That was only 720P, but there was just something about that 3LDC that was above and beyond most any other set I've ever seen. Dang shame it didn't work out, but at least this explains why nobody else ever picked up on it.

** One other minor change in my life - I am now and AVS CLUB MEMBER. If this little pearl is the only thing I ever get out of it, that's more than enough to justify supporting the board.

OK then - POINT ME TO THE TWEAKS !!!

post #8 of 41 Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 PM

I had both a failed KDF42A10 and also a KDF50A10 (both approx. 4 yrs. old). Coincidently both developed problems after installing new bulbs. Sony accepted an emailed photo of each TV's display defect (with a little arm twisting). I was shipped a KDL46EX700 and a KDL40EX500 for $250.00+ tax. The offerings change periodically. I know they're now out of the EX700 (LED) Sony assured me these were new (not refurbs.) with a one yr. mfg. warranty. Kudos to Sony for resolving a known problem with a minimum amount of "hassle". Both sets have beautiful pictures! The firmware in both needed upgrades. A phone call resulted in two thumb drives with the latest firmware mailed to my door. I will continue to buy and enjoy Sony products.
post #9 of 41 Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 PM

Kudos on the thumbware thing. I knew thumbody thumbwhere would have a handle on that ...

I'll have to check mine when it shows up. Who'd you call for the thumbdrives? Number?

* I did find out they 710 series are just out as of a couple months back? Kinda surprised me when I found that out - you'd almost expect them to be trying to unload old stock from their warehouse instead. A tip of the hat to Sony for coming thru - albiet with a bit of arm twisting along the way.

post #10 of 41 Old 09-24-2010, 09:42 AM

After checking the firmware version in the menu, I called the same number that handled the replacement program. They asked for the case number and they handled it from there. New firmware was ordered and received in approx. 10 days along with the installation instructions.
post #11 of 41 Old 09-24-2010, 05:45 PM

I was bopping around the channels late last night looking for a couple good examples to take pics of for Sony and came across an old black and white shootem up. I love those, so I sat back and watched the whole thing, color blobs and all.

Went over to play with the computer and I could have swore my LCD monitor had picked it up too. Are blobs contagious?

Went to bed, closed my eyes, and guess what. THE DAMM THINGS WERE STILL THERE!!

They're gone now, but still - kinda makes you think. I figure one of those "persistence of vision" things instead of permanent drain bramage.

post #12 of 41 Old 02-05-2011, 04:37 PM

NOSTRADIMWIT,

I have the same problem with my screen as well. What sony (800) number did you call to get them to send you one of the three televisions. Do you think that it is still possible for me to get the same deal? Need help replacing set! I replaced the bulb and the same thing happened to me too! Thanks
post #13 of 41 Old 02-05-2011, 04:40 PM

This is an old thread, but try Sony at this number 888-993-7669 I don't know if the replacement program is still active?
Good luck!!
post #14 of 41 Old 02-05-2011, 04:59 PM

RBethel,
Thanks, anything would be helpful at this point. Replacement Program is what it is called. I didn't even know that they had one. Thanks for the quick reply.
post #15 of 41 Old 02-05-2011, 05:24 PM

Good luck! I chose a KDL46ex700 (led) and A KDL40ex500 (ccfl) Both TV's have great pictures!
post #16 of 41 Old 02-05-2011, 10:25 PM

Forget the 800 number - that's like customer support hell. Forget Facebook too ...

888 993-7669

Puts your DIRECTLY in touch with the replacement program peoples. If I remember right, they're available till 8PM M-S ...

Give them your model number and they'll give you a ticket number and your options. You don't have to pick right away - I called back the next day after gooooogling what they offered. They'll need a couple pics of your screen showing the problem WITH the ticket number legibly printed and attached to the front of the TV. I just scotch taped mine to the bezel on the bottom. Don't have a photo printer, so I just snapped a couple with my camera, transferred them to a thumb drive and had the local big box store print up a couple copies.

HINT: I'm sure you've made notes on what's most offensive to you. If you get AMC channel or classic movies, I got the very best of the worst off black and white source on my old A10 3LCD.

post #17 of 41 Old 04-25-2011, 01:56 PM

Can someone please send me a picture of the back of the sony tv showing that the serial sticker is removed, it will be most appreciated. Please email it
Leighbay2045@yahoo.com
post #18 of 41 Old 06-12-2012, 12:29 PM

This program is still in effect as of 6/12/2012

They are now offering KDL40BX450 a 40" lcd tv for $375 - Best Buy list this tv at $499
or KDL46EX640 a 46" lcd for $500 - Best Buy list this for $1099

Nice discount on the 46" not an amazing deal on the 40"

Since I found this thread while doing research on fixing my tv, I figured I would post an update.
post #19 of 41 Old 06-12-2012, 05:14 PM

I have the problem with the sony 42" LCD projection tv. Called Sony, they gave me the choices mentioned above. I took the KDL46EX640 a 46" lcd for $500. They said it would take 3 weeks, it actually took 7 days' and the TV was at my door. It even came with the wi-fi as advertised. Very nice Mexican TV, hope it will last.
post #20 of 41 Old 06-12-2012, 05:15 PM

Did you ever find a simple way to fix the TV?
post #21 of 41 Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Liked: 11
Update to thread.

I sure am glad I found this old thread and learn it's just not my TV that has the problem.
After additional researching I called Sony on Saturday, June 16, 2012, and got instructions and an Event Number.
As of that date the offer still stands for replacing my KDF-E42A10.

Offer was KDL40BX450 a 40" lcd tv for $375
or KDL46EX640 a 46" lcd for $500

Not wanting to go smaller and the 46" was a better value, I chose the 46".

I took the picture with my Event # displayed in front of screen, and removed the serial # from back as per instructions.
Today I pasted the serial # on an 8X11 sheet of paper with my event # and picture, and sent to Sony in Ft Myers Florida via certified mail.
They took my credit card information and informed me after they receive the requested documents and approved, they will ship me the new TV.

I did ask how many photos were needed and size.
I was told 1 was sufficient and the size didn't matter. I sent them a 4 X 6 photo that clearly showed the blue blobs on the screen.

Hopefully I will see the new TV soon.

Perhaps this updated post will help others in the same situation and knowing the replacement policy is still in effect.
post #22 of 41 Old 07-30-2012, 02:56 PM

I stumbled across this thread trying to figure out what was going wrong with my old KDF-E42A10.

I called Sony today, 7/30/12, and they offered me the same deal that Itzbinnice posted,

KDL40BX450 a 40" lcd tv for $375

Nice to see sony giving a customer a deal when my TV is way way out of warrenty
post #23 of 41 Old 08-06-2012, 04:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsoul View Post

I stumbled across this thread trying to figure out what was going wrong with my old KDF-E42A10.
I called Sony today, 7/30/12, and they offered me the same deal that Itzbinnice posted,
KDL40BX450 a 40" lcd tv for $375
Nice to see sony giving a customer a deal when my TV is way way out of warrenty

Update:
My apologies I listed the KDL EX640 (46") as a LCD TV, it is not, it's a LED. The 40 In KDL40BX450 is an LCD as stated.
After Sony received my documentation it only took a week to arrive. It was not shipped by truck as I thought it would, but rather FEDEX ground.
The driver didn't even ring the bell, he left it on the stoop. Lucky I was home and saw him so nobody had the chance to steal it.

I must say that was a wise choice getting the 46" LED over the 40" LCD, best extra 125.00 I've ever spent.
The picture is awesome and is a huge improvement over the E42A10.

Should anybody else look into getting a replacement I surely would recommend the 46" LED KDL-46Ex640.
demoetc50 likes this.
post #24 of 41 Old 08-13-2012, 06:26 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Well, my 50E2000 has the red tint across the top of the screen so I called about the program and here was my offer:

55BX520 $800 + tax
46HX750 $600 + tax

I asked if that was my only choice and I was told that's it! Whatever, looks like I will just get another TV. I guess They aren't giving deals like they used to.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #25 of 41 Old 10-15-2012, 05:58 PM

I called the 888 993-7669, but got after hours support at 239-768-7602, and they told me the replacement program was mo longer available, as my TV was out of warranty. They gave me two phone number of Services in my area that could fix my tv for paying service and part (OB). If this info is erroneous, could someone please enlighten me. I want to persue this if I can get a replacement. Thank you. email me at V_Jamese@Hotmail.com.
post #26 of 41 Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 PM

I have the same model. Green screen with Blu blogs / streaks. I called the 888 993-7669, but got after hours support at 239-768-7602, and they told me the replacement program was mo longer available, as my TV was out of warranty. They gave me two phone number of Services in my area that could fix my tv for paying service and part (OB). If this info is erroneous, could someone please enlighten me. I want to persue this if I can get a replacement. Thank you. email me at V_Jamese@Hotmail.com.
post #27 of 41 Old 10-16-2012, 11:20 AM

I am so glad that I found this thread, thanks to everyone who posted here, particularly those informing us that the replacement program was still operating.

My 2006 KF 42A10 had the blue coloration issue. I was prepared to junk my TV and buy a new one but after finding this thread I called Sony Canada at 1 877 899 7669 and found that as of October 2012 the replacement program still exists in Canada and operates very efficiently. I phoned , emailed off some pics of the problem and received an offer all within 1 week.

I had to sign not to reveal the details of the offer but I think it is safe to say that while the offer I received is slightly different to those described here, in my opinion it is a better offer. The $ value seems about the same but the nature of the offer is different. I am very pleased with the way Sony handled this.

So if you have this problem with your TV, contact Sony - you have nothing to lose.

EDIT: Sorry, the model number is KF-E42A10.
post #28 of 41 Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 AM

Did you mean kDf E42A10 for the model number? I tried the number a few times already 877#, but cannot get through. Fast-busy signal!!
post #29 of 41 Old 10-18-2012, 04:13 PM

Mine is the KF E42A10 - a model that was sold in Canada and the phone number I gave is correct. It is Canadian Product Support.

Not sure why you got the fast busy signal, I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I got through. I just called that number and got through immediately.

Are you calling from the USA? 877 is a toll free number, not an area code and I wonder if it is programmed not to accept calls from the USA.
post #30 of 41 Old 10-18-2012, 05:18 PM

Yes, I was calling from the USA, dialing the 1-877-xxx-xxxx number. (wrong??),. Tried on at least 3 different phones--fast busy signal. Which email address did you get from them? I have an email ready with pics and serial number. Thank you for responding also!!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page