Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 136 Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRich View Post

That is the $10,000 question. From everything I have been able to find on the net, there is no guarantee that a "new" optical block ordered from Sony is not a re-built optical block. In this article by Steve Linke it indicates that Sony does exactly that...refurbs old ones.

If that is the case I would rather let someone like TriState Module or John Breton "rebuild" my optical block....or maybe even give it a go myself if I could find the parts. TriState sells the LCD Panel and the article above indicates it comes with the blue light path polarizer but their web-site only states it is the LCD Panel.

Not sure I would try it but would sure be interested to see if anyone else has and how it turned out.

I'm not sure where else to post, but has anyone on here had contact recently with John Breton (cabledude0461@yahoo.com) per the above? I contacted John to do the repair on my optical block, he asked me on 12/28/11 to send the block and payment to him.

This was delivered on 1/3/12 via UPS, check was cashed on 1/9/12...but I've been unable to get in touch with him since.

Several emails have gone unanswered, as have my voicemails gone unreturned. In fact, I haven't heard from him at all since 12/28. I've asked just or a quick confirmation that he got everything ok...but haven't heard a peep since I shipped it out.

If it wasn't for the check getting cashed I'd be a little more nervous...though the fact that it's been over 3 weeks without a return email or phone call is my main source of concern at this point. Without the optical block my TV is essentially useless.

Anyone?

Jason Lavender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 136 Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post

I'm not sure where else to post, but has anyone on here had contact recently with John Breton (cabledude0461@yahoo.com) per the above? I contacted John to do the repair on my optical block, he asked me on 12/28/11 to send the block and payment to him.

This was delivered on 1/3/12 via UPS, check was cashed on 1/9/12...but I've been unable to get in touch with him since.

Several emails have gone unanswered, as have my voicemails gone unreturned. In fact, I haven't heard from him at all since 12/28. I've asked just or a quick confirmation that he got everything ok...but haven't heard a peep since I shipped it out.

If it wasn't for the check getting cashed I'd be a little more nervous...though the fact that it's been over 3 weeks without a return email or phone call is my main source of concern at this point. Without the optical block my TV is essentially useless.

Anyone?

Jason Lavender

I've heard from others in AVS that this is the way he works. He must be doing it part-time or weekends or something. Give him a couple more weeks and he'll likely come through.
post #63 of 136 Old 01-26-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

I've heard from others in AVS that this is the way he works. He must be doing it part-time or weekends or something. Give him a couple more weeks and he'll likely come through.

Ok, that is actually good to know that at least it may be just his MO. It just threw me for a loop because we had traded several emails with great response time right up until I sent the block...then total radio silence. Was just assuming the worst, but like you said I'll hang tight a couple more weeks (and will be sure to report back here as well).

Thanks!

Jason Lavender
post #64 of 136 Old 01-26-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willivil View Post

Hi xst3althx. Congrats for getting your set fixed! I have a 42 inches set with same issue: blue dots and yellow 'paint'.
I'll order replacement parts, but have a question: how do you know if need to replace both LCD module and filter, or just the LCD module? Thanks

To be honest I only replaced the LCD Screen and not the filter because of the one that I received looked exactly like the one in the block already. From what I can tell it didn't really seem to affect the picture much. My bulb is also about 3 years old so I think that has to do with my dim colors. After a little work in the color settings and the service menu i finally got a picture that I'm happy with.

Another thing to note on the filters the slide adjustment on them will control the amount of color for that light path. I adjusted it all the way out and my picture lost quite a bit of yellow and blue color, almost looked green. I'm pretty positive that with some messing around with it you could get the right amount to your liking.
post #65 of 136 Old 01-29-2012, 08:19 AM

I'm an amateur audiophile.

Have my ps3 connected to my Sony Wega Rear Proejction / lcd 55" (kdf something-made in 2005) and my harmon kardon CP 35..

I"m having two issues and thanks to this forum, both issues are being addressed. one is an audio one which i will omit here.

Oh the reason for the preceding is i want to acknowledge the resource this forum is and the PEOPLE helping each other out. Kudos to you all.

I too was having the blue blob effect. I first noticed it while watching my blu ray copy of Ben Hur. The blue blob was a line of sorts showing up where the black bottom border met the horizontal bottome line of the movie. All this is on the screen.

I followed a fella's link: http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcd...ockreplacement

that led me to this forum somewhere about cleaning the optical block. I did that (using compressed air in a can) and the blue stuff/blobs went away completely.

Then a few days later, it came back. Note, when I first turn on the tv, there are no blue blobs present anywhere. it seems that only after a while they show up, and again note it seems to be in a different place now.

my GF was watching net flix for a few hours Full screen, so there were black borders on both sides of the broadcast, and the other day i saw the blue blobs on the right side of where the black border met the image being broadcast. they are small and not terrible, but I think this is a sign of something worse to come.

my question: based on my description, should I go back and clean up the optical block? I went as far as pulling the block out of the tv, still wired though, removing the metal plate that covers the ribbon things, and just sprayed air in there. Thikning of doing that again.
post #66 of 136 Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post

Anyone?

Jason Lavender

Follow-up to my earlier post. I'm happy to report that John phoned me on Sunday to give me an update on my repair - he had confused me with another customer of his initially and hadn't realized that he never got back to me. Per his phone call he promised me the Optical Block would ship this week.

I'm also happy to report that the unit arrived today, and I promptly installed it and reassembled the XBR. The picture looks great! No more blue dots/haze!

I'd wholeheartedly recommend John Breton (cabledude0461@yahoo.com) for anyone in need of a repair on the Optical Block for their Sony television.
post #67 of 136 Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 AM

I am also having the issue with the optical block. I would like to repair is as economically as possible and try to repair the block. Is there a step by step on how to do this?
post #68 of 136 Old 02-23-2012, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xst3althx View Post

To be honest I only replaced the LCD Screen and not the filter because of the one that I received looked exactly like the one in the block already. From what I can tell it didn't really seem to affect the picture much. My bulb is also about 3 years old so I think that has to do with my dim colors. After a little work in the color settings and the service menu i finally got a picture that I'm happy with.

Another thing to note on the filters the slide adjustment on them will control the amount of color for that light path. I adjusted it all the way out and my picture lost quite a bit of yellow and blue color, almost looked green. I'm pretty positive that with some messing around with it you could get the right amount to your liking.

Howdy!

Do you have the parts for the filter? I see the LCD panel at Tri-State appears to be this:

http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-1642...cx043axxx.aspx

Long story, semi-short:

50WE655 manufactured Oct ’04, bought new in Jan/Feb ‘05

We had a 3 year extended, did one lamp replacement, about 12 months OOW a blue bar started developing at the bottom. Eventually this faded away and turned into blue dots (kind of funny watching them slowly multiply).

I never followed up on any of the class action/warranty options, it was almost watchable, but eventually we migrated it to the bedroom and replaced it with a Panasonic 54” G25 series.

So in the last couple of weeks I contacted Sony (used the Facebook “I have a defective TV” to for reference). Our lamp blew out and in removing it I see the lamp housing/area is cooked, so based on that, they sent a tech, got the “no repair” option, Sony contacted me and I took the best option they offered me (it was pretty outstanding actually).

So now I’m sitting here with a Sony TV that needs a new lamp and has funky blue dots. I kind of hate to just pitch it, but I also realize spending $400+ on 8 year old tech that could have another failures probably doesn’t make sense.

Several months back I put new caps in a 23” Samsung monitor that has run great since the repair ... I’m into that for < $10 (and even better caps than the originals).

So I’m thinking a $79 LCD panel, lamp ($65-75?) and I might have a decent “extra” set. We have an old Toshiba 42” CRT based RP that’s got a few issues, so I’m thinking this might be nice to have on deck (it’s in the little one’s play area).

I figure IF I take the time to swap out the LCD panel, I should probably be a little proactive and installed a new blue filter too.

Thanks in advance!

DT

"In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy."
~Michael Scott
post #69 of 136 Old 02-24-2012, 10:03 AM

Just order the panel itself you shouldn't have to replace the filter because the one I received from tristate looked exactly as the one in my optical block was with a haze on it. I just left it as is and have no complaints so far about it. Been using my TV since I replaced that part and posted it. Been working fantastic!
post #70 of 136 Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xst3althx View Post

Just order the panel itself you shouldn't have to replace the filter because the one I received from tristate looked exactly as the one in my optical block was with a haze on it. I just left it as is and have no complaints so far about it. Been using my TV since I replaced that part and posted it. Been working fantastic!

OK, cool, I might try this (since I like to tinker anyway). Heck, I figure putting this TV back together for ~$150 (I need a new lamp too) for an extra set (on deck for the Toshiba’s approaching demise) isn’t a bad deal.

"In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy."
~Michael Scott
post #71 of 136 Old 02-25-2012, 05:26 PM

I purchased this set in 2007. It had been into a service location once for a lamp replacement and picture quality issue which is hard to discribe except blue specs with pink mixed in in the top corners. Well it had been couple years later and I am getting this same thing again. I replaced the lamp myself this go-around but the picture quality is still YUK (jpg below). several people have stated it could be optical block, could be the lamp, or simply dust were it shouldn't be. Since I do not have any warantee on this set anymore anyone have any ideas what this may be caused from? interal back of the set is dusty i have noticed. and I am electronically/mechanically proficient. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The wording in the pix being blurred that was just me moving.
LL
post #72 of 136 Old 02-26-2012, 07:16 AM

Yes its the OB! Call Sony and see if they will offer a replacment!
post #73 of 136 Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 PM

be nice if someone could put together the symptoms - solutions chart for these sets.
green blob, blue splotches, green blob and blue splotches, blue dots, etc.
post #74 of 136 Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshoe View Post

be nice if someone could put together the symptoms - solutions chart for these sets.
green blob, blue splotches, green blob and blue splotches, blue dots, etc.

http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcd...v-opticalblock
post #75 of 136 Old 03-30-2012, 01:35 PM

`Have the KDF-60sx955 with a defective optical block. Mine has the blue specks/pixels across the bottom of the screen AND blotchy colors in the corner.

Removed & cleaned the optical block but no-go. Not too bad replacing the optical block. Just have to keep an eye on where all the plugs go.

Emailed Sony and 1st response was sorry, that model is out of warranty

Reply back stating that a defective optical block should be replaced warranty or not and I was going to replace with a NON-SONY TV.

Sony responded with the following;
(note date of post)
KDL55BX520 for $842.00 + any applicable taxes
KDL60EX720 for $1664.00 + any applicable taxes

Not the best of deals but at least it's something! Sony "somewhat" cares. Man they really screwed up on these TV's!

I was surprised that the TV's don't really filter out any of the crap the cooling fans draw in. The fan that cools the lamp was plugged! I'm surprised the lamp did not melt down.

I have decided to have John down in CT. rebuild my optical block. I was quoted $249 return shipping included.

I have a 50inch SONY WEGA rear projection in the living room purchased in 2005 from of all places, Overstock that's STILL on the original bulb AND still has an excellent picture. After tearing into the 60" SONY I think I'll be giving my 50" SONY a COMPLETE teardown/cleaning. I think that the cooling design on these TV's play a big part on these optical blocks failing. The filter is simply a scotch-brite type of material!

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.
post #76 of 136 Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 AM

OK I was in the same boat as most people. blue fog on my TV. I bought a rebulit optical block from tri state and did the replacement myself.

Once the tv came back to life with the new optical block, the picture was very very dark and not very sharp at all, almost like someone turned up the contrast all the way. I adjusted the picture and brightness settings but it jsut makes the picture washed out or worse. I jsut replaced the bulb in March and it looks like a low light bulb problem but a 2 month old bulb I wouldnt think it would be.

is there any adjustment that I can reopen the tv and try? could I not have the block in the corect spot and im losing light somewhere?

any help would be great.
post #77 of 136 Old 05-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PucksterDave View Post

OK I was in the same boat as most people. blue fog on my TV. I bought a rebulit optical block from tri state and did the replacement myself.

Once the tv came back to life with the new optical block, the picture was very very dark and not very sharp at all, almost like someone turned up the contrast all the way. I adjusted the picture and brightness settings but it jsut makes the picture washed out or worse. I jsut replaced the bulb in March and it looks like a low light bulb problem but a 2 month old bulb I wouldnt think it would be.

is there any adjustment that I can reopen the tv and try? could I not have the block in the corect spot and im losing light somewhere?

any help would be great.

If that was a Chinese knock-off lamp for less than $50, two months is possible. Stick with Osram/Sony/Philips.

Also check lamp insertion, with some sets like the WF655, you can make electrical contact but still not be fully home. Let us know model #.
post #78 of 136 Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Well I sent my optical block to John down in CT.
Check was cashed well over a month ago & I'm still waiting for the rebuilt optical block. Gettin a tad nervous but will wait for John.

Robert
post #79 of 136 Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 AM

KFD-70XBR950 Optical Block Swap

I replaced my optical block, ordered from Tristate. Taking out the old and putting in the new went quite well. Just take pictures of all the connectors or label them. With the rebuilt block in I have a severe blue cast. Went into service menu and had to turn Blue Drive almost off (set to 20- factory is 140) and I bumped up Red and Green drive. I will call try-state to ask about this, but I was wondering if anyone has some words of wisdom. The convergence is spot on.

Thanks
post #80 of 136 Old 06-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodtmf View Post

KFD-70XBR950 Optical Block Swap
I replaced my optical block, ordered from Tristate. Taking out the old and putting in the new went quite well. Just take pictures of all the connectors or label them. With the rebuilt block in I have a severe blue cast. Went into service menu and had to turn Blue Drive almost off (set to 20- factory is 140) and I bumped up Red and Green drive. I will call try-state to ask about this, but I was wondering if anyone has some words of wisdom. The convergence is spot on.
Thanks

Before you cranked down the blue, could the tv show a black screen or color bars with a good black in the black position?
Ditto white?
post #81 of 136 Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 PM

sorry for taking so long to post a reply

I did not try checking blacks as you said. I installed the TV at a friend's place and have not been back.

I did call Tri-State and he said I most likely have a bad C2 board as well. I am having trouble reconciling that comment. I didn't get the impression the C2 board is that tightly coupled to the Optical block. I was thinking it was the Blue Polarizer not being set correctly, he assured it was set correctly.

So far my friend has complained about the picture. I can tell that it is not right, but they got the TV for free so maybe they are not as discriminating.
post #82 of 136 Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 PM

OK so I hate to ask questions about this TV and anything relating to blue after just reading this whole forum, so ill start with a contribution smile.gif

I found this on Youtube, and wondered why you couldn't do this instead of manually compensating for convergence? Assuming that its at least close to start.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhrn92nyIMQ&feature=relmfu

Now on to my question. I have a KDS-50a2000 hat i picked up on the side of the road (HA!) and it doesn't have a single blue spot, but it does have one big yellowish oval tint in the middle-right of the screen. Well based on what I have gathered, I do NOT need to replace the blue paths' LCD OB right? It should just be the burnt haziness on the blue polarized filter that's causing the blob?

I guess someone please correct me if I'm wrong, cause otherwise I'm going to just order the blue filter, and probably end up wasting money and being disappointed.

Also, I have a fair amount of technical know how. I've replaced caps on an old Samsung LCD's PSU board and its still running strong 4 years later biggrin.gif
post #83 of 136 Old 09-26-2012, 12:27 AM

To further my post above, here are some pics. No blue dots. I think its just the filter. (the horizontal lines obviously aren't there in real life)

But, if you look closely at the bottom of the blob of yellow, you can see there are very distinct patterns. It almost fans outward. I'm thinking only the LCD could make this kind of characteristic? So maybe it is the OB and not the filter. Maybe its both? Not sure what exactly causes the filter to fog over.

Also, hard to see but there is a green line going across the top left, but not the top right. I think its a small convergence error though.

I'll open it up and report back.
post #84 of 136 Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdannenberg3 View Post

OK so I hate to ask questions about this TV and anything relating to blue after just reading this whole forum, so ill start with a contribution smile.gif
I found this on Youtube, and wondered why you couldn't do this instead of manually compensating for convergence? Assuming that its at least close to start.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhrn92nyIMQ&feature=relmfu
Now on to my question. I have a KDS-50a2000 hat i picked up on the side of the road (HA!) and it doesn't have a single blue spot, but it does have one big yellowish oval tint in the middle-right of the screen. Well based on what I have gathered, I do NOT need to replace the blue paths' LCD OB right? It should just be the burnt haziness on the blue polarized filter that's causing the blob?
I guess someone please correct me if I'm wrong, cause otherwise I'm going to just order the blue filter, and probably end up wasting money and being disappointed.
Also, I have a fair amount of technical know how. I've replaced caps on an old Samsung LCD's PSU board and its still running strong 4 years later biggrin.gif

First, you have 3-LCD and SXRD technology and terms mixed up. It's like comparing a piston engine to a jet engine. They use similar lamps, and that's about it.

Yours is an A2000, thus is an SXRD. The SXRD doesn't have input polarizing filters.

The input polarizing filters and panels that tristate is selling are for 3-LCD only. They are nothing like the parts in your tv.

Some folks have had success in changing panels in SXRD, but it is much harder than 3-LCD because the SXRD parts tend to be glued together rather than screwed. It can be done, but you have to find a source for one of the panels. The blue-path SXRD panel in your set is a possible culprit, not certain. The insides of the SXRD are more difficult to troubleshoot than 3-LCD. Any other Sony SXRD would be a possible donor, colors interchangeable.

Take it apart anyway, you have nothing to lose. There's a small chance that your problem is a more simple one of burning components in the gap between the lamp and the light block itself.

The convergence settings you referenced are useful but have very limited range, like +/-2 pixels. That's about .060" on your tv screen. It's good for correcting fringing problems, but when you swap in another panel you can easily end up with 1/2" of convergence error on the screen due to the 'new' panel. That much can only be fixed by physically manipulating the panel with a factory jig or a trial and error hot-workbench process.
post #85 of 136 Old 09-27-2012, 02:19 PM

Ahh. Well thank you so much for that then! I don't think ill be finding parts at all. And honestly I didn't really wanna stick $80 into a TV that's only worth $150 on CL. I called Sony and they barely offered me $950 for the KDL-55BX520. I think i'm just gonna cut my losses and go shooting this weekend biggrin.gif I live in the desert.
post #86 of 136 Old 10-10-2012, 03:21 PM

I just got the optical block replacement from Tri_State and for the life of me I can't find any step by step instructions for removal/replacement for the 70xbr2...there is one on avs forum for 60xbr1 but the backs are different..thanks
post #87 of 136 Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 AM

I have the Sony 3LCD, KDF-E42A10 A1123071A.- yr. 2005 From this forum it sounds like it will be more cost-efficient to Rebuild, as opposed to replace. I am not an expert with electronics (removal / installation). Mine is displaying mostly green hue with some blue blobs arount the perimeter. comments / suggestions welcome. Thank you.
post #88 of 136 Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 PM

Sony SXRD KDS-R60 XBR1 Feb 2006 MF

Green screen.

Ok folks this board was excellent in helping me to obtain info and knowledge on rebuilding the OB. My friend and I bought two spare units and attempted to rebuild two with the three we had.
Picked up the units from Kijiji for 150.00 each. No bad. So after all is said and done we had one tv up and the others no go. All had the same problem, green screens. So we rebuilt the one and now are awaiting another donor tv. The problem is now we have a slanted picture. it's pulling down from the right side about an inch. I tried adjusting it from the front panel with no luck. I was very careful when rebuilding not to upset the alignment. It must have been bumped. Anyone have experience in aligning the OB. Tips.

Thanks again
post #89 of 136 Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 PM

Just successfully had our Sony KF-60XBR800 optical block repaired by JOHN BRETON (email: cabledude0461@yahoo.com ) and thought I would share the experience in case it could help anyone. Also want to thank CRSANDERS as he provided block removal instructions and other background that gave us the courage to try to remove and install the part ourselves.

We bought our Grand Wega in Dec. 2002 and watched it almost every day and still had the original lamp. The only problem encountered was the ghosting correction needed early in 2011. Overnight in Aug., the entire screen developed a green tint (no pattern or blobs apparent). Spent some time online learning about the history of widespread problems with the optical blocks of rear projection TVs (Steve Linke website), and had a local repair service tech confirm the block was the issue (he diagnosed by the TV menus also having the green tint). A new block was quoted in the $1300 range for just the part and he indicated there did not appear to be a less expensive repair option as used parts were not available. A rebuilt block was found online in the $300+ range (Tri-State) but there were none in stock. Sony customer service rep. indicated there was at one time a program to help compensate customers of this model with block issues but it was expired. The rep. said Sony only guarantees to have parts available for 7 years and she didn’t believe the part was still being made and Sony could not help me.

Contacted John Breton based on references found in AVSforum. We removed (helps to take photos and/or video) and shipped the block to John (Ground rates much lower than Express) and he replaced the C board, LCD panel, and UV filter. The original UV filter wasn’t available but he was able to find a substitute. He has replacement parts as well as a number of TVs to use for testing. My husband and I installed the rebuilt block 3 weeks ago and the picture is great! John’s rate was very reasonable and I know that he put more time into the repair, email communications, and handling than what I was charged. It did take about 5 weeks but I knew that this repair would be a side project and I did not push for the work to be done. I had commented to John that I thought the lamp might need to be replaced as we had to set the picture and brightness settings higher than what I thought they normally would need to be and he even included for free a bulb for us to try. With the replacement bulb we were able to reduce those settings so our original lamp was no longer providing peak performance. I’m very happy with John's work and that I can extend the life of this TV, which was priced at $5000 at the time of purchase. smile.gif
post #90 of 136 Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 AM

Has anyone tried using an orange camera filter to try and replace the one from our TV's? might be possilble. I have the yellow green tinge on my screen so I believe the filter alone would probably fix it. I hope to be able to try this soon just woundering if anyone else had attempted.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List