Sony optical block talk and repair assitance - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 136 Old 11-19-2012, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi I hope this has not been asked already. I searched and did not find anything so here's my question(s).

I am hoping to repair a KDS-R70XB2 green screen TV with parts from a working KDS-R60XB1 that I have to get a better TV.

I am wondering if at least the LCD panels are the same in both so I could use one of the XB1 LCD's to fix the XB2 blue LCD that's gone.

Also if the mechanical chassis that the 3 LCD's are attached to are not too different then maybe I could strip out the electronics in the OB and lens assembly and mount them on the XB1 LCD chassis's and not have to adjust any convergence. If not I will at least like to use one of my LCD's and try the convergence adjustment if it can be done without having to completely re assemble everything to check every time.

I have both service manuals but they don't show that much detail inside the OB's. I would like to give it a try unless there is something else different that I overlooked.

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 136 Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Nice thread.

I added it to my "repair" sticky;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1310024/problems-with-a-older-tv-new-isnt-always-better-try-repairing-it-first#post_19891061

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #93 of 136 Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBVanBC View Post

Hi I hope this has not been asked already. I searched and did not find anything so here's my question(s).

I am hoping to repair a KDS-R70XB2 green screen TV with parts from a working KDS-R60XB1 that I have to get a better TV.

I am wondering if at least the LCD panels are the same in both so I could use one of the XB1 LCD's to fix the XB2 blue LCD that's gone.

Also if the mechanical chassis that the 3 LCD's are attached to are not too different then maybe I could strip out the electronics in the OB and lens assembly and mount them on the XB1 LCD chassis's and not have to adjust any convergence. If not I will at least like to use one of my LCD's and try the convergence adjustment if it can be done without having to completely re assemble everything to check every time.

I have both service manuals but they don't show that much detail inside the OB's. I would like to give it a try unless there is something else different that I overlooked.

Thanks

Dave

I've done similar swaps, but not this exact one. First, instead of looking at what small parts you can swap from the donor into the patient, start from the opposite direction and think about taking all the guts from the electronics cavity of the 60" and putting them into the 70". Then back off from that objective if you find the plastic box won't accept the other guts. (The back panel from the XBR2 has to go with its electronics because there are small differences.)

Another way to go at it is to think of it as an optics projection problem and not an electronics problem. The whole top half of these TVs are just empty tubs with a plastic screen and a mirror. If you can simply (!) unscrew the top tub/mirror/screen assy from the 70" and attach it to the 60" you can do the swap without messing with the electronics where it's easy to screw up. This is unfortunately complicated on the XBR's by the elephant ears, speakers, the little control panels, etc. (All that makes the picture on the 70" bigger is the fact that the distance between the light engine and the screen is further because the tub is bigger.) That makes the tub heavy to lug around if you can get it separated from the bottom part, and there are a bunch of connectors to address to reconnect speakers etc. Carrying that big tub is a two-person job.
post #94 of 136 Old 11-20-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

I've done similar swaps, but not this exact one. First, instead of looking at what small parts you can swap from the donor into the patient, start from the opposite direction and think about taking all the guts from the electronics cavity of the 60" and putting them into the 70". Then back off from that objective if you find the plastic box won't accept the other guts. (The back panel from the XBR2 has to go with its electronics because there are small differences.)
Another way to go at it is to think of it as an optics projection problem and not an electronics problem. The whole top half of these TVs are just empty tubs with a plastic screen and a mirror. If you can simply (!) unscrew the top tub/mirror/screen assy from the 70" and attach it to the 60" you can do the swap without messing with the electronics where it's easy to screw up. This is unfortunately complicated on the XBR's by the elephant ears, speakers, the little control panels, etc. (All that makes the picture on the 70" bigger is the fact that the distance between the light engine and the screen is further because the tub is bigger.) That makes the tub heavy to lug around if you can get it separated from the bottom part, and there are a bunch of connectors to address to reconnect speakers etc. Carrying that big tub is a two-person job.

Thanks Chuck.

If they were the same except for size I would like to just do it that way. When I got the 60XB1 I was told it was a 1080p and was disappointed that it only accepted 1080i a signal as soon as I got it home. It still can only have an actual refresh of 30hz regardless of any smoke and mirrors signal processing to convert it to scan progressively.

I almost always have it running off a computer with a decent video card and it's good enough to let me work in the living room and get rid of a desk so I actually claimed more space back. Having a 70XB2 means I can move it farther back have a bigger screen and more space.

I never liked those "elephant ears" and wanted to just saw them off to get more room because I have these giant Aztec Gauguin III speakers from the early 70's sitting on the floor on each side. They are so ugly looking but they sound amazing to cancel out their ugliness.

Now I think I can pull all the horns out and just mount them flush inside the "elephant ears" invisibly although they will all stick out 18" behind the back out of view. They will be not very noticeable until you look down the air gaps to see them but the sound will be unbelievable. The woofers can go in a modified $60 wooden Ikea TV stand reinforced with some concrete also out of site below. It will not look any different but I get more space back.

The last item while I am going this far is the best. I also have a Toshiba 52HMX84 that I found but was hesitant to buy an overpriced DC lamp for that is known not to last very long. I was not sure of the condition Ballast in it and it's a very expensive over engineered part compared to the almost generic ballasts found in Sony's, Hitachi's, Samsung's and maybe more. I have a few spare Philip's lamps that are just as generic found in all these brands as well. I was going to risk putting in a Philip's lamp from a GWIII but wanted to really know what else was different and if I could try it without wrecking the lamp. I was not sure exactly why you needed DC Voltage that is more costly than using an AC Power supply and why would the lamp even care.....intriguing :(

I then ran across this post somewhere where a guy actually wired in a $12 floodlight from a hardware store and it worked for 10 seconds before he wrecked his TV. He said the color looked good while it lasted!

That was enough for me because I was now wondering if I could just get rid of the Ballast and fake whatever signal the Ballast outputs to make a big LED array so I could not use lamps and hopefully not fry Blue LCD's.

Learning that a cheap floodlight had all the light spectrum needed to get a picture from that experiment set me on this path. As a sanity check I went to future shop and looked at a few new TV's and then went home and watched some IMAX 1080p movies on the 60XB1. I am happy and if the LED mods work well then I might have bought my last TV. I was very happy to see another member here has already been down this path. These big tubs have all kinds of space inside to experiment and try out ideas.

post #95 of 136 Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 PM

I bought a KDF-E42A10 for $50 a few months ago; it randomly turns off and on by itself so i replaced the bulb and while the picture became much clearer, the off/on issue continues. The green light flashes for about 30-40 seconds then the set turns on again. The frequency seems to be higher during the first 45min of use and then it seems to happen less and less the longer the tv is on. The red lamp light does not flash at all. No diagnostic codes are present. Also, if the set is off for several hours, to turn it on i have to unplug the set, wait at least 10 seconds,plug it in and then press the power button and wala - the set turns on.

Issue#2: The yellow blob appeared after i replaced the bulb so from reading this thread it appears that would be the LCD panels which i can replace. I don't want to put more than a couple hundred more if i can help it, so your help and advice are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
post #96 of 136 Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1231 View Post

I bought a KDF-E42A10 for $50 a few months ago; it randomly turns off and on by itself so i replaced the bulb and while the picture became much clearer, the off/on issue continues. The green light flashes for about 30-40 seconds then the set turns on again. The frequency seems to be higher during the first 45min of use and then it seems to happen less and less the longer the tv is on. The red lamp light does not flash at all. No diagnostic codes are present. Also, if the set is off for several hours, to turn it on i have to unplug the set, wait at least 10 seconds,plug it in and then press the power button and wala - the set turns on.

Issue#2: The yellow blob appeared after i replaced the bulb so from reading this thread it appears that would be the LCD panels which i can replace. I don't want to put more than a couple hundred more if i can help it, so your help and advice are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

"The green light flashes for about 30-40 seconds then the set turns on again." This is the normal bootup init process. Why it turns off is the problem.

Couple of possibilities: 1) there is a plague of cheap lamps around, sold on ebay for $40 or so. Their reliability is terrible. Out-of-box failure rate high, and in the very best cases they only last a few months.

2) this model is terrible for plugged-up main lamp fans. They can get so plugged with dirt that while the wheel moves freely and the fan doesn't signal failure, it will not move any air because none can get in. Then the lamp area overheats, and there is a sensor there that can shut down the tv.

3) on some sets where the lamp door switch is barely working, as the chassis plastic heats up and crackles and expands, the lamp switch might fail to engage. Examine the lamp door and figure that out. It's pretty simple.

4) examine the lamp contacts on the lamp side and the tv side from the inside. They take a lot of heat and they can just fall apart.

"Issue#2: The yellow blob ..." To fix that you need another set to steal parts from, and even then it's a painstaking process of trial and error in doing the physical convergence.

You've already spent more than a 42" is worth. You might be better off declaring the 42" the donor and watching Craigslist for a compatible 55" or 60" Sony. Possibles would be another KDF-E, or a WE610 or WF655. Craigslist is rotten with them, and they are cheap. Stay away from E2000, A2000, and XBR1 & 2 which are completely different.
post #97 of 136 Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have a XBR2 with a green tint to it, happened after quite a few years, Sony replaced the set and let me keep this one still. The XBR2 got moved to our Lake House, but now the green color is just too much, just curious if it is the optical block issue or a replacement of the LCD panel? I would love to have the set repaired but not sure if these parts are still available.

Thanks!
post #98 of 136 Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Its the Optical Block SXRD Blue Panel for sure and possibly the glass filter prior to the panel. Ebay has them its an SXRD211 panel. Just dont buy an old blue one. Be Warned: The repair is INTENSE.
post #99 of 136 Old 02-11-2013, 04:10 PM

I'm in the midst of rebuilding the optical block on my KDS-R60XBR1. I've already acquired and installed a new blue lcd panel to correct the green screen issue. I've got the convergence figured out finally, but now am experiencing another issue that I haven't seen addressed elsewhere. This just started after I re-converged the new blue panel. As I project the convergence test screen onto the ceiling my red beam is extremely fuzzy, not a nice clean laser-like projection. Unlike the others, it is very wide, blurry and almost scattered into dimmer multiple parallel red lines, rather than one crisp line. as I look at other components on the assembly I see each lcd panel has a corresponding mirrored lens angling off the adjacent side of the prism. The red one has some extremely minute scratching and I'm wondering if this enough to blur the output. Does anyone know what these little mirrored lenses are and if they are cleanable? All of the discussions I can find seam to be centered around the lcd panel, but I don't see anything about some of the other surrounding bits and pieces.....
post #100 of 136 Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 PM
eci

Installed a Tri-State Module OB for my Sony KDS-R70XBR2 and it is WORSE than the green blobbed unit I pulled. frown.gif The OB has massive convergence issues - totally out of focus, can't even read words on the TV Guide listing. Also - giant green blob in center surrounded by purple. Sigh. Do they test these things? Could I have done something wrong?
post #101 of 136 Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 AM

Liked: 832
Sorry to hear, seems something happened with Tri-State over the last year or so and they're no longer trustworthy to repair OB's. You're not the first to have a block come back completely FUBAR'd lately. I was ready to rip mine out and send it to them, but held of after stories like this.

Has anyone had dealt with John Breton lately? Is he still repairing OB's? How's the work and do they last?
post #102 of 136 Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 PM
eci

They got it back today and said they see nothing wrong with it.

The convergence was WAY off, I had a blue blob and green blob. It was MUCH worse than the existing one. They didn't repair mine, I just got one they had in stock. White dot pattern showed distinct red, green, and white dots. White square pattern had white squares with red, green, blue, and yellow borders. The existing OB shows none of these issues - just a green blob.

Weird. They said they are sending it back and want pictures.

Takes a lot of labor swapping blocks in and out.
post #103 of 136 Old 02-20-2013, 06:20 PM

Yea, just so you all know Trisate was a complete and total waste of my money, feel free to see how they treated me over in the XBR2 owners thread. I got a few emails from a "VP" who said he was going to ensure I got a full refund if I gave them my optical block, and they would send me a shipping label. That was 45 days ago, so I guess the mail is still moving slow or something. I know they do read the forum so there is some hope that they might want to make things better, but I would NEVER give these folks money or any personal information now that I have actually spoke with them (creepy for a lack of a better term). Maybe they finally got around to giving back the BBB plaque as well, last I saw I know they wanted it back rolleyes.gif

TyrantII,

I still have the block and I feel the need to top up my AVS karma, it only seems right to give something back to the community that has been so helpful over the years, so if you want the block PM me your shipping address.
post #104 of 136 Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 PM
eci

Got the block back again. When they received it, they said it tested fine and shipped it back, but am I crazy here? Look at the giant blue blob a few pics down on the black screen. It is present at all times on black and dark colors. Also - see the convergence? That is causing huge uniformity and other issues. Can these things really be fixed? I again, for the 3rd time, reinstalled my original block. Perfect focus, spot on convergence, no blue blob - just the green stains which prompted me to get another one in the first place.

OB1.JPG

OB2.JPG

OB3.JPG

OB4.JPG

OB5.JPG
post #105 of 136 Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM
eci

Reinstalled my original:

Blue blob gone, convergence perfect, focus perfect - just the green tint from the aged blue panel that needs replaced and correctly aligned. I've done 3 complete R&R's of the damn OB now. Hope TSM can provide a good OB.
post #106 of 136 Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Sorry to hear, seems something happened with Tri-State over the last year or so and they're no longer trustworthy to repair OB's. You're not the first to have a block come back completely FUBAR'd lately. I was ready to rip mine out and send it to them, but held of after stories like this.

Has anyone had dealt with John Breton lately? Is he still repairing OB's? How's the work and do they last?
KDS-55A3000 owner, green tint problem with optical block.

I'd like to know this as well. After having Sony's recommended service tech come out and show that the replacement optical block would be over $2500, then seeing that there are no refurbed blocks in stock anywhere, John Breton seems to be the best option, if he's still doing this.
post #107 of 136 Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 AM
eci

John is still doing them. As far as "do they last" - no one can make them last!!! No one can fix the engineering defect - just make it last another 2 years till it comes up again and melts the blue panel.
post #108 of 136 Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by eci View Post

John is still doing them. As far as "do they last" - no one can make them last!!! No one can fix the engineering defect - just make it last another 2 years till it comes up again and melts the blue panel.

Yup, you really can't "fix" the the degradation of the organic blue dye. It's always possible someone might come up with a fix with a newly engineered part that doesn't use the same stuff, but that probably not going to be a cost effective solution to both come up with, then charge for. Buying a new set would be less of a hassle, and probably not more expensive.

that said a ~$300 for 2-3 more years is a pretty good deal, especially with 4K OLED and better 3D on the horizon. Thanks for the info, I'll be contacting him soon (as soon as I have the time to start a project like this)
post #109 of 136 Old 04-08-2013, 08:34 AM

a newbie from north of the 49th, a kdsr70xbr2 with a yellow area on the screen. John Breton contact info still, john@tvcconnect.net?
post #110 of 136 Old 04-30-2013, 01:58 PM

I just wanted to post an update been away from this for a while, but my TV is still kicking after I did the repair on the LCD panel. Only thing I have had to do was put a build in the set. Did an Osram replacement for $50 off of ebay works fantastic.
post #111 of 136 Old 05-01-2013, 04:32 PM

Hi

Just wonder if anybody could take a look if I've put back all my lenses back in order to the optical unit.
I've removed them to give them a quick wash as the picture was really dark. I've tried to use pressurized air for cleaning but it could not clean the lenses as dust sticked to them so I've decided to wash them with soapy water.
It helped as brightness has improved however now I have a problem as everything is blurred.

I've check twice if I've put the lenses back in order and it seems be fine (according to the plastic slot shapes).

Now the picture looks like this:

Or maybe there is another problem?

Thanks in advance

P.S.

Almost forgot - this optical unit is from Sony kdf-e50a12u biggrin.gif
post #112 of 136 Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 AM

Here's a question I can't seem to find here or in the owners thread either. I have a kds-50a2000 that I bought new in 2006. I replaced the lamp in 2010 and just started having the green blob issue this year. I consider myself very lucky. I followed the NorCal YouTube video and replaced the blu dlp chip. I got the convergence spot on using the service menu pattern #1 projected on the ceiling. I put everything back together and fired it up. The color now looks spectacular, just like it did when it was new .....BUT I have a much worse problem, the video image now has degraded. HD material is very pixelated and if I didn't know better I would think there was some setting for DRC set to max. Moving images are the worst, sometimes not even looking like video at all. My wife even said it looks awful like some low res Internet video. I've checked all the user settings and everything is how it was before I started the optical block build. Any ideas??
post #113 of 136 Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock99 View Post

Yea, just so you all know Trisate was a complete and total waste of my money, feel free to see how they treated me over in the XBR2 owners thread. I got a few emails from a "VP" who said he was going to ensure I got a full refund if I gave them my optical block, and they would send me a shipping label. That was 45 days ago, so I guess the mail is still moving slow or something. I know they do read the forum so there is some hope that they might want to make things better, but I would NEVER give these folks money or any personal information now that I have actually spoke with them (creepy for a lack of a better term). Maybe they finally got around to giving back the BBB plaque as well, last I saw I know they wanted it back rolleyes.gif

TyrantII,

I still have the block and I feel the need to top up my AVS karma, it only seems right to give something back to the community that has been so helpful over the years, so if you want the block PM me your shipping address.

Did you go into the service menu and adjust the horizontal and vertical shifts of the three colours? You can have chips that are converged but they were converged on a set that has different x and y shifts than yours, so you need to compensate. I got a new optics block in the sony box and everything and just installed it and the convergence was off, I went into the service menu and made the appropriate horizontal and vertical shifts and all fixed.

Equipment now:
Sony KDS-R60XBR2 (modified optics block)
Sony BDP-BX2
Sony SLV-M91HF
Sony KE-42TS2U (Gave it to mom)
Sony STR-D590
Interconnects:
All Philips PXT1000 series cables (Some people don't like them but they work well for me)
post #114 of 136 Old 09-17-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloflorida View Post

Just successfully had our Sony KF-60XBR800 optical block repaired by JOHN BRETON (email: cabledude0461@yahoo.com ) and thought I would share the experience in case it could help anyone. Also want to thank CRSANDERS as he provided block removal instructions and other background that gave us the courage to try to remove and install the part ourselves.

We bought our Grand Wega in Dec. 2002 and watched it almost every day and still had the original lamp. The only problem encountered was the ghosting correction needed early in 2011. Overnight in Aug., the entire screen developed a green tint (no pattern or blobs apparent). Spent some time online learning about the history of widespread problems with the optical blocks of rear projection TVs (Steve Linke website), and had a local repair service tech confirm the block was the issue (he diagnosed by the TV menus also having the green tint). A new block was quoted in the $1300 range for just the part and he indicated there did not appear to be a less expensive repair option as used parts were not available. A rebuilt block was found online in the $300+ range (Tri-State) but there were none in stock. Sony customer service rep. indicated there was at one time a program to help compensate customers of this model with block issues but it was expired. The rep. said Sony only guarantees to have parts available for 7 years and she didn’t believe the part was still being made and Sony could not help me.

Contacted John Breton based on references found in AVSforum. We removed (helps to take photos and/or video) and shipped the block to John (Ground rates much lower than Express) and he replaced the C board, LCD panel, and UV filter. The original UV filter wasn’t available but he was able to find a substitute. He has replacement parts as well as a number of TVs to use for testing. My husband and I installed the rebuilt block 3 weeks ago and the picture is great! John’s rate was very reasonable and I know that he put more time into the repair, email communications, and handling than what I was charged. It did take about 5 weeks but I knew that this repair would be a side project and I did not push for the work to be done. I had commented to John that I thought the lamp might need to be replaced as we had to set the picture and brightness settings higher than what I thought they normally would need to be and he even included for free a bulb for us to try. With the replacement bulb we were able to reduce those settings so our original lamp was no longer providing peak performance. I’m very happy with John's work and that I can extend the life of this TV, which was priced at $5000 at the time of purchase. smile.gif

Hey has anyone had their Optical Block repaired by John Breton in the last few months? I shipped my block (SXRD-50XBR1) to John for repair at the beginning of June and have yet to see it back. Multiple emails with promises that it would be worked on and I haven't gotten it back. What is his typical repair time? Anyone else having issues right now?

SXRD - The new "Trinitron"
post #115 of 136 Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Hey has anyone had their Optical Block repaired by John Breton in the last few months? I shipped my block (SXRD-50XBR1) to John for repair at the beginning of June and have yet to see it back. Multiple emails with promises that it would be worked on and I haven't gotten it back. What is his typical repair time? Anyone else having issues right now?

I shipped my Sony 55A2020 optical block to John Breton on 3/8/13 and he deposited my check for $249 on 3/22/13.  I've emailed him numerous times since March but he's only responded to me one time (5/20/13)  saying that he expected to ship the block back to me sometime later that week. Last week I contacted Steve Linke to see if he could help me.  Steve's site is where I learned that John was a resource for rebuilding the defective optical blocks.  https://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/    Steve was able to make contact with him but as of today (9/26/13) I still haven't heard back from John or received my block back.

post #116 of 136 Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msing007 View Post

I shipped my Sony 55A2020 optical block to John Breton on 3/8/13 and he deposited my check for $249 on 3/22/13.  I've emailed him numerous times since March but he's only responded to me one time (5/20/13)  saying that he expected to ship the block back to me sometime later that week. Last week I contacted Steve Linke to see if he could help me.  Steve's site is where I learned that John was a resource for rebuilding the defective optical blocks.  https://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/    Steve was able to make contact with him but as of today (9/26/13) I still haven't heard back from John or received my block back.

I don't want to sound bad or disrespectful to someone I do not know (John Brenton). I think he pretty much ripped you off, it doesn't take months to fix one of these. It is not hard to get parts either.

Equipment now:
Sony BDP-BX2
Sony SLV-M91HF
Sony STR-D590
Interconnects:
All Philips PXT1000 series cables (Some people don't like them but they work well for me)
post #117 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have a question about these optical blocks. I currently own a 50A2000 set and I've noticed that there is now a yellowish tint to almost everything. It's so bad that I'm not even going to explore a repair option, I'm just going with a new set.

My question is if this is an optical block issue, does the problem mean that the set is on it's last legs and may die soon? We are giving it to my sister-in-law and her husband if they don't feel the yellow issue is that big a deal. I would feel awful though if they get this monstrosity in their house and it dies soon after, thus leaving them with the burden of having to dispose of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #118 of 136 Old 09-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I have a question about these optical blocks. I currently own a 50A2000 set and I've noticed that there is now a yellowish tint to almost everything. It's so bad that I'm not even going to explore a repair option, I'm just going with a new set.

My question is if this is an optical block issue, does the problem mean that the set is on it's last legs and may die soon? We are giving it to my sister-in-law and her husband if they don't feel the yellow issue is that big a deal. I would feel awful though if they get this monstrosity in their house and it dies soon after, thus leaving them with the burden of having to dispose of it.

It is not on it's last legs at all. You will not have all three primary colours but you will still have a picture atleast.

Equipment now:
Sony BDP-BX2
Sony SLV-M91HF
Sony STR-D590
Interconnects:
post #119 of 136 Old 09-30-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAV View Post

Have you heard anything from John Breton or received your block back since your post?  I'm planning to reach out to the Connecticut state troopers who are assigned to Haddam, Ct to see if they can offer any assistance.  Please let me know if you're interested in joining me.

post #120 of 136 Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msing007 View Post

Have you heard anything from John Breton or received your block back since your post?  I'm planning to reach out to the Connecticut state troopers who are assigned to Haddam, Ct to see if they can offer any assistance.  Please let me know if you're interested in joining me.

Here is my bad experience. John has taken my money and my optic block. So figure about $1,200 value. Maybe he used my block as parts to repair other people's units.
Shipped on May 30, 2013.
Inquired about status June 24. John: No Response.
Inquired about status on Jul 1. John: It's repairable, not started on it yet.
Inquired about status on Jul 23. No response.
Inquired about status on Jul 30, are you shipping it? John: I will do my best.
Aug 27, Requested that I get my Optic block back. John: Sorry It will be done and shipped in a few days.
Sept. 3, Have you shipped my Optic Block? John: Yes.
Sep. 15, Has not arrived, please send tracking number. John: Don't have yet, UPS keeps my records.
Sep 18, I will give you a bonus of $100 if the unit is repaired and arrives to me by Sept. 30. John: No response.
Sep. 30 Return my Optic Block and Money NOW. John: It's finished and will be shipping later today.
Oct. 1, Send me the tracking number. John: No response.
Here it is 4 months later, Oct. 7 and no Optic Block.

SXRD - The new "Trinitron"
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page