Sony optical block talk and repair assitance - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 138 Old 10-14-2013, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
John has finally shipped my Block and should be here on Thursday Oct 17 (Four months and 4 days after he received it). I will update my post as to the quality and the workmanship of the repair when i do the install but I probably won't get time to do it this upcoming weekend.

SXRD - The new "Trinitron"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 10-18-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAV View Post

John has finally shipped my Block and should be here on Thursday Oct 17 (Four months and 4 days after he received it). I will update my post as to the quality and the workmanship of the repair when i do the install but I probably won't get time to do it this upcoming weekend.

The block arrived on Wed. It is my original block and looks to be in good shape. The block was double boxed (packed well) and looks like it survived ground shipping across the country fairly well. I won't be installing until Oct. 25 so I'll report back after the install.

post #123 of 138 Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM

I have to say I have been lurking on this site for years, however today i find my self on this thread. 

I like most here have a KDF-60wf655.

It suffers from the Blue blog and speckles in the pic. I know after researching that the LCD panel can be interchangable. this is great even Tristate has them for 58.00 as of today 10/21/13 however they no longer have the Blue Polorized filter. this is a bummer as mine is shot and this is completely due to a poor fan design and all the crud that has been accumulating on my fan that cause the excessive heat build up. this inturn burned out my LCD panel and my Blue Filter.

Now I have been able to locate the LCD panel but I have seen in a few posts previous that someone said parts are easy to come by Please elaborate on your source for these parts. I am experianced and have no problem playing with this but need the filter to even attempt it. 

I would love for someone to provide the proper part numbers for the polorized filters and If Im super lucky the parts supplier from which to obtain this and I can resurect my Sony Wega!

Thanks and its a great community we have here for AVS....

Thanks

Bill

post #124 of 138 Old 10-26-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:

The block arrived on Wed. It is my original block and looks to be in good shape. The block was double boxed (packed well) and looks like it survived ground shipping across the country fairly well. I won't be installing until Oct. 25 so I'll report back after the install.

I installed the block yesterday. After power up I had to back down the brightness and the red, blue, and green Gains and Biases. The picture looks very good and the Green Tint is completely gone. Looks like the Green Blob issue is also gone to but I need more time on the set to verify. Overall it looks like the repair job was done expertly.

post #125 of 138 Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I installed the block yesterday. After power up I had to back down the brightness and the red, blue, and green Gains and Biases. The picture looks very good and the Green Tint is completely gone. Looks like the Green Blob issue is also gone to but I need more time on the set to verify. Overall it looks like the repair job was done expertly.

This should be my final post on this issue. After some careful review I can report that there is a tiny amount of green discoloration in the upper left and lower right corners of the screen observable only on a Gray Screen. This is better than when the set was just purchased when it had a fair amount of Green tint (Green blob) near the center of the screen. With the White Balance/Gray Scale, brightness, and color settings (Gain and Bias) adjusted the picture is back to being outstanding. smile.gif

post #126 of 138 Old 10-29-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:

This should be my final post on this issue. After some careful review I can report that there is a tiny amount of green discoloration in the upper left and lower right corners of the screen observable only on a Gray Screen. This is better than when the set was just purchased when it had a fair amount of Green tint (Green blob) near the center of the screen. With the White Balance/Gray Scale, brightness, and color settings (Gain and Bias) adjusted the picture is back to being outstanding. smile.gif

Even mine has some green in it and I have a brand new optics block, yes, completely new in the sony box. This just shows that it isn't really a heat and UV issue. The heat and UV light only speed up the decaying of the polymers.

Equipment now:
Sony KDS-R60XBR2 (modified optics block)
Sony BDP-BX2
Sony SLV-M91HF
Sony KE-42TS2U (Gave it to mom)
Sony STR-D590
Interconnects:
All Philips PXT1000 series cables (Some people don't like them but they work well for me)
post #127 of 138 Old 12-09-2013, 11:13 AM

I'm still waiting for the return of my Sony optical block that was sent to John Breton for rebuilding back in March of 2013.  I'm glad to see that DrAV finally received his block back and that the block seems to be working great.  I sure hope that one day mine will be returned.  

post #128 of 138 Old 01-08-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msing007 View Post

I'm still waiting for the return of my Sony optical block that was sent to John Breton for rebuilding back in March of 2013.  I'm glad to see that DrAV finally received his block back and that the block seems to be working great.  I sure hope that one day mine will be returned.  

After a 9 month wait, I've received my rebuilt optical block back from John Breton.  The block is now installed and the TV seems to be working fine.  The green blobs are gone.  

I'm happy to have my TV working again but it's unfortunate that it took so long for the block to be repaired.

post #129 of 138 Old 01-27-2014, 11:29 AM

Yes I sent mine to John Breton months ago as well, and am still waiting. I posted recently about how frustrated I was with this whole process, the lack of communication and other things. He responded to that and I think we worked it out, but won't know for sure until either I get my block fixed or I get a refund. Still waiting............
post #130 of 138 Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 AM
eci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepabajo View Post

Yes I sent mine to John Breton months ago as well, and am still waiting. I posted recently about how frustrated I was with this whole process, the lack of communication and other things. He responded to that and I think we worked it out, but won't know for sure until either I get my block fixed or I get a refund. Still waiting............

This is how he works:

1. Zero communications
2. Months of delay

I had to pester his wife on Facebook to get a reply. I got my block back with the same green blob it had when I sent it to him. He fixed some focus issues the lens had but clearly did not change the blue panel. Oh well. I was ripped off $249. Live and learn.

He is committing mail fraud. Eventually he will piss off the wrong lawyer or LEO.

Try contacting him here:

https://www.facebook.com/john.j.breton?fref=ts
post #131 of 138 Old 03-07-2014, 02:24 PM

I finally got my block back repaired. While I think it took too long and I think the communication could improve drastically, John did excellent work. The picture is crisp and clear like before. I am very happy with the results!!!

Also, I thought this was going to be extremely difficult to put back together, it was actually very easy. Anyone wanting to try it themselves, if you can work with your hands you can do this.

Thanks John.
post #132 of 138 Old 05-22-2014, 04:04 PM

I have a sony KDF42WE655 purchased as a floor model in '05. I replaced the lamp twice with non-Sony parts. I figured, why spend more when the tv probably won't last 20 years like my old Sony boxes, and the tech is advancing so quickly. I probably should have gone with the Sony part after all. When I replaced the 2nd lamp, I noticed the plastic compartment it slides into was melted somewhat, I assumed from the lamp running too hot. Still, 9 years is not a bad run for a floor model.

In the last few months, I started getting the dreaded migrating, soft blue blobs, yellow corners, and then the spots started appearing. They now look like a globular cluster, about a foot in diameter. The blobs are now more intense bars and patches, riding up and down the left side of the screen and corners, with crystallization crinkles. Figuring this signaled the impending death of my tv, I started shopping for a new Sony. I really don't want to spend a lot of money right now for an interim tv, until I can afford and justify a 4K. Looked at a KDL48W600B and a KDL50800B as 'low cost' solutions. The 48 is a 60Hz for $650. The 50 is 120Hz, brighter, better resolution, but $250 more. Both are more than I wanted to spend on an interim, and I see no sense in settling for the less bright/sharp picture, since it will end up as a bedroom tv, and I'd rather not compromise too much there either. So, I started searching for fixes for my 42.

I immediately found this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgZz9peR-ro , with easy to follow steps to disassemble and replace the parts necessary. It became clear the blue LCD screen is faulty, and the polarizing filter needs to be replaced with it. TriStateModule sells the LCD panels now for just over $50, http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-16423-sony-replacement-lcd-optical-block-panel-lcx043axxx.aspx ,
but no more polarizers. After much frustrating searching, I still can't find one. I can't even find the Part #.
I will only begin disassembly when I have the parts in hand.

Does anyone here know the Polarizer Part # for the KDF42WE655, and where to order one?

The author of the video, norcal715, http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJTrnevHaK73BbOxfteY5Gw ,
offers part #s for all the LCDs, but he also stresses they are interchangeable, and

DO NOT BUY OR USE A BLUE LCD PANEL, SINCE IT IS MOST LIKELY TO FAIL.

The red or green will work fine, because they are really monochromatic. The failure is due to fan blades being too small and tightly spaced so they collect dust too easily. Fan efficiency decreases, raising the heat. Heat melts the dust on the LCD panels and polarizers, fouls them, [and apparently melts plastic housings and compartments]. Sony has since re-engineered the fans.

Since any repair of the optical block parts will take the picture out of convergence, he shows how to realign the LCD panels. He also has a video for 1080x1920 Crosshatch Pattern Used for Adjusting Convergence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai4pXfFqIkY For instructions on how to bring the grid up from the service menu on the tv, you can download a service manual for your model, but hooking up a computer to the tv and playing his video will work just fine.

I'm almost at the point of giving up and spending for the 50", but it seems a shame to just dump what was just recently a beautiful tv, just because I can't find a relatively inexpensive part I can install myself. I could replace the entire OB, but there are no real guarantees a refurbish will be worth the $ and effort either. This is my last attempt at a rea$onable solution requiring only a few hours of fiddling.......
post #133 of 138 Old 05-23-2014, 12:01 PM

Update:

I called TriState just now. They do not include the polarizer with the LCD panel purchase, and they stopped selling it last August. The rep said they cannot find a source for it anymore. She was familiar with this issue enough to have no need to look anything up. This speaks volumes. My guess is, Sony made it unavailable to techs and consumers, so we have a more complicated repair, and they hope we all give up and buy a new TV.

It looks like the only way to get a polarizer is to buy a refurbed optical block and pull the part from it. The downside is, when you get a refurb, there is no guarantee [usually] the parts you need will be in good condition. The upside is, if they are in good condition, you have backup LCD panels and polarizers to use when and if the problem reoccurs. Or, you could replace the block and keep the old one for spare parts.

I'm weighing the options.

I could buy a new TV for the living room, and get a refurb, do the repair and make this my bedroom TV, although, the footprint is rather large for my only stand option, my dresser, and will force me to remove the items I like to keep there. I've done this before, when I had co-tenants. The size overwhelms the room. Not optimum.

I could do the same, except switch the room placement. Also not optimum, as the new TV will be in the bedroom. I watch much more in the living room.

I could buy a new TV, do the rebuild and sell it for more than I would get otherwise; or, skip the refurb purchase and rebuild, and sell the old TV to someone willing to do it. Leaning heavily toward this last option. The screen has a couple of small nicks from a fallen center speaker when I was in a hurry to replace the lamp. Otherwise, excellent cosmetically. Any offers?

post #134 of 138 Old 08-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Optical Block Repair

Like some of you here, I too sent John Breton my Optical Block for repair and he received it on April 1st, 2014. I have sent a few emails, just asking for an update or status of the repair. It is now August 4, 2014, so in a little over 4 months, I have not heard one word from Mr. Breton.

The thing that bothers me the most is that when I was getting the info from him to send it in for repair, he responded promptly and usually within one day. I have not heard one word since the day he received it and did answer my email about receiving the block and payment by separate mail.

I was hoping for a lot shorter turnaround time and am still trying to be patient, however after 4 months, it would seem that I am going to follow some of you down the path of a longer timeframe. I have no reason to believe that it will not be returned and repaired; I just find it strange that I am unable even to get a one sentence email from him concerning the status.

I will keep waiting as there is not much recourse at this point and trust in the fact the he is an honest person that is just overwhelmed and extremely busy.

Last edited by unixman3584; 08-04-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Grammar
post #135 of 138 Old 08-04-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixman3584 View Post
Like some of you here, I too sent John Breton my Optical Block for repair and he received it on April 1st, 2014. I have sent a few emails, just asking for an update or status of the repair. It is now August 4, 2014, so in a little over 4 months, I have not heard one word from Mr. Breton.

The thing that bothers me the most is that when I was getting the info from him to send it in for repair, he responded promptly and usually within one day. I have not heard one word since the day he received it and did answer my email about receiving the block and payment by separate mail.

I was hoping for a lot shorter turnaround time and am still trying to be patient, however after 4 months, it would seem that I am going to follow some of you down the path of a longer timeframe. I have no reason to believe that it will not be returned and repaired; I just find it strange that I am unable even to get a one sentence email from him concerning the status.

I will keep waiting as there is not much recourse at this point and trust in the fact the he is an honest person that is just overwhelmed and extremely busy.
You should have fixed it yourself like I did. It is easy to do!
The alignment stuff is all bull, the alignment is done electronically. As a matter of fact the chip issue is something that I have been working on in my free time while in engineering school. I have come up with possible causes and ways to correct the issue. Sony dropped out of the SXRD TV market because it had already cost them billions in a lawsuit and they saw projection TV going nowhere, but did see a market for projectors. Their SXRD projectors are much better than their sets. People have to realize that optics cost allot of money. Glass is actually not cheap, look at the hubble telescope. Anyways, I hope you get your unit back.

Equipment now:
Sony KDS-R60XBR2 (modified optics block)
Sony BDP-BX2
Sony SLV-M91HF
Sony KE-42TS2U (Gave it to mom)
Sony STR-D590
Interconnects:
All Philips PXT1000 series cables (Some people don't like them but they work well for me)
post #136 of 138 Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
New Rebuilder

There appears to be a new Sony light engine rebuilder on ebay based in Utah:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-REFURBI...item3f28732b0f

He does both SXRD and 3-LCD. Someone in one of the other Sony threads had used them, so only limited feedback at this time.
post #137 of 138 Old 10-23-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Still Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixman3584 View Post

It is now over 7 months and it will soon be 8 months. After repeated emails to him, he responded with "I don't know how this could have happened", my apology. I responded and told him I appreciated the response and was wondering when I might receive my part back repaired.

I waited another two weeks and since then have sent repeated emails after he responded one additional time letting me know that he would do his best and have it shipped on a Monday. That has come and gone and now it is two weeks later again and he has stopped responding again.

I am hopeful that I will get either my part back with a refund or my part back repaired, however the wait is almost over before I enlist the services of someone that I know will help resolve this situation. To me, it is sad that I have to go to such lengths to just get what I paid for up front with some type of communication.

These types of scenarios make the use of the internet suspect, just because of someone that does not understand what customer service and honesty is about.
post #138 of 138 Old 11-28-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What's he's fee to repair optical block?
Reply Rear Projection Units