Samsung HL61A650 turning off randomly - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been having some issues with my Samsung. The lamp went out recently and I just replaced it with a new one and its only been 5 days and a new issue has surfaced. The TV will power up and the picture will be great, then it suddenly shuts off, makes a buzzing noise and starts to boot back up. After a few moments, the picture returns. That happened once last night and today, my girlfriend noticed it happened 3 times earlier in a span of 30 minutes. This was at 10am pacific. The TV was off until 5pm today and since then, no shut downs. Any one have an idea what the issue is? I have a hunch that its either the power supply or the ballast. I can replace the ballast, but not sure how much the power supply is or where I can get one. I would rather spend as little to repair it myself than paying a repair tech to tell me what it is and charge extra to install. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 AM

I am having the exact same issue, and mine started this past weekend. My manufacturer's warranty is up on the 30th too.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 AM

don't waste any time then. Call now and get them to send someone on their dime while you still can. If you're a out of warranty they don't care about you.
post #4 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 01:23 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems, but your wasting your time on this site. The members on this forum will not give you pointers or things to check - your post will just sit here. Ironic how computer knowledge is shared so vastly but these d*cklickers stay silent.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rikyrik,

I'm with you on this one.....

I think I have the answer though.

I have an HL72A650 and we were smelling something burning the other night. Then the TV started to click on and off just as the OP's set was doing.

I took the back panel off and there was brown slime running down the power board. It looks like one of the capacitors blew.

The board that is in my set currently isower supply MODEL NO: PN082DPS-VF CODE NO: BP44-01002A INPUT VOLTAGE: 100-120V 50/60Hz, 6.3A REV. 1.3

I think there is a new one out BP44-01002C

Hope this helps....
post #6 of 20 Old 04-15-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus_2k3 View Post

Been having some issues with my Samsung. The lamp went out recently and I just replaced it with a new one and its only been 5 days and a new issue has surfaced. The TV will power up and the picture will be great, then it suddenly shuts off, makes a buzzing noise and starts to boot back up. After a few moments, the picture returns. That happened once last night and today, my girlfriend noticed it happened 3 times earlier in a span of 30 minutes. This was at 10am pacific. The TV was off until 5pm today and since then, no shut downs. Any one have an idea what the issue is? I have a hunch that its either the power supply or the ballast. I can replace the ballast, but not sure how much the power supply is or where I can get one. I would rather spend as little to repair it myself than paying a repair tech to tell me what it is and charge extra to install. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You need to look in the 2008 Samsung HLxxA650 Owners thread and
you'll find some answers
post #7 of 20 Old 04-16-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I went ahead and ordered a new ballast and installed it. Unfortunately that wasn't the problem. I'm about to move and need the money, so the TV is going to stay broken for some time. I ended up going to Bestbuy and purchased a TV on my credit card with them. After I move, I will call a tech out and see whats wrong. Until then, I have some extra parts lying around.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-16-2010, 02:23 PM

Mistake dude.

Part BP44-01002A could have solved all your problems.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-23-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flnsx View Post

Mistake dude.

Part BP44-01002A could have solved all your problems.

Anybody know the difference between BP44-01002A and a BP44-01002C? My power supply and ballast have been replaced three times, each time with the BP44-01002A. Hl50A650 tv.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 PM

My set went out an hour ago same powering off and on crap again. This time though i was treated to smoke coming from behind, lucky me. This will be the 4th repair in exactly a year for the same thing! Power supply, Lamp Ballast and Lamp. I have an extended warranty but the damn thing is getting repaired every three months.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-27-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to hear you've had to repair it so many times for the same issue. I have yet to replace the power supply, which I'm waiting to do after I move to save some cash. I've taken out the power supply and it looks like a faulty capacitor, which I'm tempted to solder in a new one. I believe the difference between the two power supplies is BP44-01002A is discontinued and BP44-01002C is the replacement.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-26-2011, 07:31 PM

Power board went out again on my HL72A650. Second one in 9 months.

I think the reason people don't respond to questions much is because when they do,vno one thanks them. The OP just take the knowledge and runs.

I tried to help 9 months ago with part numbers et and no one thanked me....

Figures.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry if I didn't thank you for your info. I haven't been able to purchase replacement parts yet, so the tv is still sitting, but I plan on buying a new powersupply and lamp soon. I tried resoldering a capacitor that I thought was blown, but that wasn't it.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 PM

I am having the exact same issues with my HL61A650, I power it on then after about 1 minute the set turns off with a buzzing noise then boots back up. I took off the back cover and noticed that the buzzing noise is coming from the starter on the ballast board, so I replaced it with a new OEM ballast, and I am still having the same problem. I am about to order a new power supply, but I was just curious if anyone has changed their power supply with this same problem and had any luck. Sorry for bumping an old thread, It was the first one that I found that had the exact symtoms and model tv that I have. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me with some info.
post #15 of 20 Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfixer81 View Post

I am having the exact same issues with my HL61A650, I power it on then after about 1 minute the set turns off with a buzzing noise then boots back up. I took off the back cover and noticed that the buzzing noise is coming from the starter on the ballast board, so I replaced it with a new OEM ballast, and I am still having the same problem. I am about to order a new power supply, but I was just curious if anyone has changed their power supply with this same problem and had any luck. Sorry for bumping an old thread, It was the first one that I found that had the exact symtoms and model tv that I have. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me with some info.

I too am having this same problem, did you ever get it fixed? Sorry to bumb this thread again. I know they are recalling some TV's for something but this model isnt in the mix.

Any Help from anyone would be great!
post #16 of 20 Old 06-06-2012, 08:40 PM

my samsung HL56A650 suddenly turned off (no pic). I can see the bulb is ok (i changed in few months back), because light is ON at the back. TV just glows a bit, but no pictures. around the power switch it glows as usual. i can not even turn it off, none of the remote actions work (while pressing any button, TV receives it, because the middle indicator glows).
i unplugged, and plugged after a day, and tv is turned on (no pictures) without pressing any remote buttons, and same thing.

would really appreciate any HELP
post #17 of 20 Old 12-23-2012, 02:59 PM

I am having the same problem.... I replaced the lamp and DLP chip 7 months ago and now I am having this problem where the TV shuts off after 2- 5 minutes of operation and again after 10-15 minutes of operation... from there, the TV works fine until left off over night... when the TV comes back on, you can hear the clicking sound from the ballast.. The TV does not normal making a clicking sound when turned on... The last time I heard the clicking sound was when the bulb was out... But in this circumstance the bulb appears to be OK.

I think this may be related to "lamp overheat protection"... I notice there didn't seem to be much air flow from the back of the TV so I put a small fan on the back forcing a lot of air into the lamp compartment and the problem seems to go away... When I turn the fan off, the TV reset 5 times in 30 minutes.... I am wondering if the fan is getting weak and the RPM is not to spec.

It could also be related to the thermal expansion of some component on a circuit board such as the power supply.

Mrfixer81, did you replace the power supply? and did that fix it for you?
post #18 of 20 Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

I'm surprised this thread is still going and brought back from the dead. My TV started turning off like that and it ended up being just the lamp. I had thought the lamp was still good, since it was only 2 months old, but I was wrong. I replaced the ballast thinking that was the problem, but it was just the lamp. Now the DLP chip is going out and I'm just going to sell the TV at a loss.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 AM

Same TV same issue. Definitely is not the LAMP. I am just wondering if anyone has fixed/replaced the power board with success????

Thanks!
post #20 of 20 Old 11-12-2013, 01:44 PM

My tv used to turn off and not come back on until I kept pressing on several times up to a half an hour sometimes I would give up. I have Comcast and was having problems with another tv and tech from the office came out and said outside wiring was messed up and rewired it 2 weeks ago and it hasn't happened since. One of my lamps went out a few days before that and now am trying to find a parts place for that. It's a 2008 or 2009 model.

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page