Sony SXRD Green Tint Bulb Replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony KDSR50XBR1 that started the infamous green tint, but it's very slight, and only when I have static image for a while, and it had only been creeping up in the last couple months. Before all this happened, I absolutely loved this TV.

Sony gave me credit towards a new LCD (which I took), and my plan was to run the "old" one until the bulb ran out. A few days ago the bulb went out (the green light blinks like 30 times green, then the red "lamp" light blinks "forever", and when I restart the TV, a buzzing noise is made).

I was thinking about just chucking the TV, but if I can fix it with a $100 bulb, I feel like it's worth keeping. A functioning, high-quality big screen for a $100-$150 is a bargain. My question is, will the "green tint" issue only get worse over time until it's unwatchable? Will the bulb replacement make the green tint issue "better"? It seems like the problem got worse right before the bulb went.

My fear is I buy a new bulb and I end up having to throw the TV away because A) the bulb is not the problem and B) the green tint gets so bad it's unwatchable.

I would love to have any feedback or input.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I too have an XBR1 with the same problem and have been reading and following these forums for a while now. My problem started probably only a couple of months ago or so but it seems to be getting worse. I believe the green hue problem from what SONY says and what I have read here is related to your optical block and usually gets worse after a bulb change.

If you have room for storage I would keep the set as I have read here that there are a couple of companies that are rebuilding the optical block. Who knows in 6 month or maybe a year they will have learned enough and have their process down so your optical block may be able to be rebuilt with some expectation of longevity and affordabiltiy.
post #3 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdreams View Post

I too have an XBR1 with the same problem and have been reading and following these forums for a while now. My problem started probably only a couple of months ago or so but it seems to be getting worse. I believe the green hue problem from what SONY says and what I have read here is related to your optical block and usually gets worse after a bulb change.

If you have room for storage I would keep the set as I have read here that there are a couple of companies that are rebuilding the optical block. Who knows in 6 month or maybe a year they will have learned enough and have their process down so your optical block may be able to be rebuilt with some expectation of longevity and affordabiltiy.

Thanks for the reply, I'm probably leaning towards just throwing it away. If it was not going to get any worse with the green tint, I would unquestionably buy a new bulb and hold on to it, but if it just continues to get worse, I feel like I'm just throwing good money after bad.

I could probably pick up a used Plasma or LCD off Craigs List for a few hundred bucks and it not have any issues.

I'll give Sony credit for giving me around $700 credit towards a new LCD TV, but it still makes me mad that a $3,000 TV is going in the dumpster after 4 years.
post #4 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 03:24 PM

contact sarah at sony she should be able to give you a free replacment
here is her facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000908418125
post #5 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmasina View Post

contact sarah at sony she should be able to give you a free replacment
here is her facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000908418125

When you say a free replacement, do you mean a new bulb or TV?

Sony gave me around $700 credit towards a new Sony LCD (which I've already purchased), so I would guess the matter is now settled.

Even though I give Sony credit for at least offering something, I really do think my full purchase price should have been refunded. This wasn't a defect that just effected a small amount of TV's, from the looks of it, they all seem to eventually get there, it's just a matter of time. $3,000 is a lot of money to now throw in the garbage, and while $700 was nice, I would much rather have bought a high-end TV that wasn't disposable. This wasn't a budget "Wal-Mart" Sony TV, this was their flagship model.

I have a family member that had a Sony LCD projection TV, and it also had significant issues, and Sony gave credit towards a new TV. Again though, it wasn't nearly close to what the original purchase price was.

I used to be a big Sony fan, but they went from being the gold standard to trying to sell low-cost to the masses, and their quality has clearly suffered. I have a 15 year old Sony CRT that's still kicking like it's brand new without a single issue. Sony is just not the same company anymore, and I now avoid them.
post #6 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a 16 yr old SONY trinitron that still shows good and honestly I would have been happy if I had gotten 10-12 out of my XBR1
post #7 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 06:06 PM

they gave me a free 60 inch ex500, well i didn't get it yet but iam awaiting shipment
post #8 of 36 Old 08-24-2010, 04:42 PM

SONY'S APPARENTLY NEW POLICY: Just got off the phone with Sony support. Monday, a tech will come to assess that there is an Optical Block problem with the REPLACEMENT optical block. After they say, "yep, green everywhere", they will contact Sony. Then, Sony will decide if they will slap another refurbished optical block in or if they will offer some sort of replacement TV at a discount. I HAVE NO SAY IN WHAT THEY OFFER: REPAIR or REPLACE. I get another optical block just-waiting-to-fail if Sony decides that is what is best for me. Is anyone else astounded and offended? BTW, the extended warranty ends the day after this.
post #9 of 36 Old 10-12-2010, 05:00 AM

I had the yellow/green screen issue and got the replacement TV deal from Sony. Are there still options to get my old set repaired? I saw on one site that a guy named John Breton used to repair them but I emailed him and he said he no longer does this. Do I have any other options to get a replacement optical block or should I just toss the old one?

Thanks.
post #10 of 36 Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire9tool View Post

SONY'S APPARENTLY NEW POLICY: Just got off the phone with Sony support. Monday, a tech will come to assess that there is an Optical Block problem with the REPLACEMENT optical block. After they say, "yep, green everywhere", they will contact Sony. Then, Sony will decide if they will slap another refurbished optical block in or if they will offer some sort of replacement TV at a discount. I HAVE NO SAY IN WHAT THEY OFFER: REPAIR or REPLACE. I get another optical block just-waiting-to-fail if Sony decides that is what is best for me. Is anyone else astounded and offended? BTW, the extended warranty ends the day after this.

My optical block went in my KDS60A2020 approx 1 month ago. I contacted Best Buy (purchased extended warranty) and they sent a tech out. The tech took one glance at the tv and said the block was toast (all blacks tinted blue). He wrote up an estimate and sent it to Best Buy...two days later Best Buy called and said "your tv is not economical to repair, please go to your nearest store and select a new tv with similar specs/features". I went into the store and they tried offering me the Sony 60EX500 and I said I wanted the Samsung LN60C630. They agreed as it was the same size and similar specs to my Sony. You may want to approach the store or whoever your extended warranty is with as I did not have to pay out of pocket for anyting, except the ECO fee of $29. Overall the process was painless to my surprise.
post #11 of 36 Old 11-16-2010, 03:26 PM

so, my 60XBR1 is now showing the "yellow issue". I just got off the phone with Sony. They will offer 3 replacements, only one is close to 60"....it is the KDL55HX800 (a nice set) for $825 + tax. (BB is selling for about $2600 as of today) The only catch seems to be that i will need to ship the old TV back. When I asked them, they did say that they will provide the packaging, but that the cost was on me. I expressed my disappointment that I would need to pay for the shipping....got nowhere.

Does anyone know how much it might cost to ship such a beast (i'm guessing it will go to a local service center)
post #12 of 36 Old 11-16-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggs View Post

so, my 60XBR1 is now showing the "yellow issue". I just got off the phone with Sony. They will offer 3 replacements, only one is close to 60"....it is the KDL55HX800 (a nice set) for $825 + tax. (BB is selling for about $2600 as of today) The only catch seems to be that i will need to ship the old TV back. When I asked them, they did say that they will provide the packaging, but that the cost was on me. I expressed my disappointment that I would need to pay for the shipping....got nowhere.

Does anyone know how much it might cost to ship such a beast (i'm guessing it will go to a local service center)

I got mine replaced with a 52HX909. I never heard of sony wanting the old TV sent to them. I didn't have to and neither did hundreds of others.
post #13 of 36 Old 11-17-2010, 02:29 AM

Quote:

SMUGGS.... Did you talk with Sarah or any of her co-workers via facebook? This is the first I have read about wanting the TV back. I could see them wanting the OB since they are refurbing them for now, but there has to be a better way.

You might want to try emailing Sarah and her team at SonyListens@am.sony.com and putting "I Have A Defective Sony" in the subject line. It may get you an answer quicker and more accurate.
post #14 of 36 Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Are you sure you didn't misunderstand what they said? I was on the phone with Sony today and they offered me the same 55" at a lower price(625+tax) and never mentioned shipping them the TV. All they required was that I send them a picture of the problem and the label off the back of the TV.
post #15 of 36 Old 12-01-2010, 07:04 AM

What is the number you are calling for this??? I just sent the email to Sarah and want to call as well to see if I can get a replacement for my set. Its showing the wonderful yellow / green creap on the screen. Thanks.
post #16 of 36 Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 PM

I have a KDS-60XBR1, I have read online other places that sony's class action law suit gave these models extended warranties on their optical blocks.. but all those have expired at this point. Are you all still getting warranty help from sony on these????
post #17 of 36 Old 12-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmagneeto View Post

I have a KDS-60XBR1, I have read online other places that sony's class action law suit gave these models extended warranties on their optical blocks.. but all those have expired at this point. Are you all still getting warranty help from sony on these????

My parents bought this same model back in 2004 at The Sony Store when it first came out, and as of September it has had the green optical block problem.

According this thread, it looks like they are doing some pretty amazing things to get people settled. My parents actually just bought an LED Bravia to replace it, and it sits in the corner of the room unplugged.

How do I have Sony come out and check it? And does it matter that I'm in Canada?
post #18 of 36 Old 01-05-2011, 02:51 PM

I also bought a Sony 60" SXRD in Nov. 2006 and about 3 weeks before Christmas(2010) I noticed a green tint especially on the dish menus. Then Christmas Day I thought this looks really green, so I googled Sony TVs green tint and found all this stuff about the optical blocker and lawsuits, I saw this # on a message board, (888)-993-7669 and called at 5:00 pm on Christmas Day. Unbelievably someone in customer service answered and I described by issue and she asked me several questions and offered me a 2 options, 1 a new 46" Model KDL 46EX710 for free or a 60" Model KDL 60EX500 for $350.00. I chose the 60" option since that is what I already have and did not want to downsize, this all occurred in about 10 minutes. I will receive the new TV tomorrow, hope it works but all in all looks like a pretty good deal since I was out of warranty on the SXRD.
post #19 of 36 Old 01-11-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltra91 View Post

I also bought a Sony 60" SXRD in Nov. 2006 and about 3 weeks before Christmas(2010) I noticed a green tint especially on the dish menus. Then Christmas Day I thought this looks really green, so I googled Sony TVs green tint and found all this stuff about the optical blocker and lawsuits, I saw this # on a message board, (888)-993-7669 and called at 5:00 pm on Christmas Day. Unbelievably someone in customer service answered and I described by issue and she asked me several questions and offered me a 2 options, 1 a new 46" Model KDL 46EX710 for free or a 60" Model KDL 60EX500 for $350.00. I chose the 60" option since that is what I already have and did not want to downsize, this all occurred in about 10 minutes. I will receive the new TV tomorrow, hope it works but all in all looks like a pretty good deal since I was out of warranty on the SXRD.

Did you ask for a replacement tv instead of them trying to fix the problem? I called yesterday and they told me they would send a tech out. Truthfully I would rather just get a new tv if the OB problem is going to go out again anyways.
post #20 of 36 Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelittle View Post

My parents bought this same model back in 2004 at The Sony Store when it first came out, and as of September it has had the green optical block problem.

According this thread, it looks like they are doing some pretty amazing things to get people settled. My parents actually just bought an LED Bravia to replace it, and it sits in the corner of the room unplugged.

How do I have Sony come out and check it? And does it matter that I'm in Canada?

Have you contacted Sony Support in Canada yet? I contacted Sarah after reading this thread, she immediately forwarded my email to Cdn support, and they called me 2 hours later. I sent them my photos Dec 30 and received the resolution offer yesterday - a choice of either an EX500 or EX700.

I don't have a direct email address, but you can call them at 1-877-899-7669.
post #21 of 36 Old 01-24-2011, 02:36 PM

I have model KDSR50XBR1, purchased in June 2006. I called Sony today, reporting the same green tint issue, and was made the following offer:

46" KDL46EX710 FREE, with free shipping

or

60" KDL60EX700 for $325 with free shipping

Looks like mama's gettin a new 60" tv!!
post #22 of 36 Old 01-25-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
A "green bulb"????
They are "lamps" and there is only one of them.

BTW, this is the famous "green blob" issue;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=green+blob
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=green+blob

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #23 of 36 Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM

My KDS-R60XBR1 just started experiencing the green tint about a week and a half ago, I started investigating online and came across this thread. I called the number a few posts up and explained the issue to the rep and without any hassle at all they immediately offered me a choice of two brand new tvs:

a KDL-46EX720 for free with free shipping, or

a KDL-55EX720 for $210 with free shipping

I was hoping to get a new 60" tv but the 55" is good enough and these models just came out about a month ago (3d is a nice feature to get, although I don't think ill use it), just wanted to chime in and let everyone know they are still offering replacements and the process is painless, total time on the phone was less than 10 minutes
post #24 of 36 Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 AM

I have read all of the posts and have a question. I am looking to buy a 60" sony sxrd tv from a guy and it is having the green tint problems a little bit he said. Would anyone know that if I bought it and then called the sony number if they would replace it even though I was not the original owner? What do you need as far as proof for sony to replace it? Any help would be appreciated, the tv is a little over 4 years old I was told. Any help would be appreciated.
post #25 of 36 Old 04-14-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav66val View Post

I have read all of the posts and have a question. I am looking to buy a 60" sony sxrd tv from a guy and it is having the green tint problems a little bit he said. Would anyone know that if I bought it and then called the sony number if they would replace it even though I was not the original owner? What do you need as far as proof for sony to replace it? Any help would be appreciated, the tv is a little over 4 years old I was told. Any help would be appreciated.

I needed to send them a copy of the original receipt. If you can get that from the original owner and the owner hasn't already made a claim against that serial number I would think you have a good chance.
post #26 of 36 Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 AM

Does anyone have news on replacement parts. All I can find is the owners manual with model and serial numbers on it. I'm not sure if I will be able to find the receipt, but would still be willing to pay to get it fixed back to normal.
post #27 of 36 Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 AM

I too have the green tint. sony offered me
KDL46EX521 for $475.00 + local sales tax
KDL55BX520 for $575.00 + local sales tax
Any is this all that's left of the offer? should i push for a free replacement?
post #28 of 36 Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My dad finally heard back from Sony Canada and they offered nothing really.

He now has the TV just taking up space in their garage for now.
post #29 of 36 Old 11-03-2012, 02:17 PM

I have model KDSR50XBR1, purchased in June 2006 as well. I called Sony today, reporting the same green tint issue, and was told that the offer, or extended warranty just ended "about a month ago". I was never told by Sony that an offer existed, and therefore would not have known the "expiration date". How ridicuoius is it that I bear the cost of replacing the optical block on the same TV that they've either offered to cover the repair costs or replace with a new TV?

Any idea how much the service cost will be and is it worth it at this point?
post #30 of 36 Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 AM

When calling concerning issue, ask to speak to Customer Relations. I bought my 50" SXRD in 2005 and my power on hours are relatively low - 1st bulb lasted me almost 5 years. I hit this issue recently, saw these postings (Thank You All) and called in. My feelings were the same - why should I not get some offer just because I don't use TV as much. I would not have even considered another Sony without some offer. I spoke to Customer Relatioins and received offer of about 1/3 off a current 55" model.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page