FREE: 510HD for parts or repair in NJ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-21-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a 510HD offered to you guys for free. The unit has problems above and beyond the standard power board issues. Continues to shut off even after the power board was repaired. Anyway, the rest of the TV is in nice shape and would be great for parts. I'm picking up a 620 on Wednesday evening so it has to go before then or it ends up on the curb. I'm located in New Brunswick, NJ. Feel free to PM me, will check periodically over the next two days.

NOTE: The repaired power board will NOT be included, I am saving this in case the one on the 620 I'm picking up goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-22-2010, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Morning Bump
post #3 of 13 Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you want to get rid of the tv before Wednesday, post it on your local www.craigslist.org under the "free" heading. It will be gone by noon.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-22-2010, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

I plan on doing so, just wanted to offer it up here first so a true enthusiast might end up with it instead of someone who won't know what he's getting into, who will end up junking it.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman0234 View Post

I plan on doing so, just wanted to offer it up here first so a true enthusiast might end up with it instead of someone who won't know what he's getting into, who will end up junking it.

That's why folks sell bad TVs on Craigslist for a nominal sum like $50 or so. It filters out the surfers that jump on anything free.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-23-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #7 of 13 Old 06-23-2010, 12:13 PM

What condition are the CRTs in? I would possibly be interested in buying them if you are willing to ship ... If you can't get rid of it, would you consider parting it out for cash before you junk it? I may want some additional things... let me know.

Joe
post #8 of 13 Old 06-23-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

They have burn in on the right side of the screen. On top of this, the TV is on my porch because I do not have space for it in my one bedroom apartment and it is supposed to rain here tomorrow, don't know how well the parts will hold up from that. If I have time tomorrow and no one takes it, I will start ripping parts off. Can't make any real gaurantees but I will keep you updated. Thanks for your interest!
post #9 of 13 Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 PM

Put a plastic tarp over it!

It sounds like the CRTs are not worth the effort.

I've restored a 510 to better than new state with Mr. Bob's help...and I am restoring a 520 now that has been abused (and which I pilfered good parts from).

I am interested in some parts that will survive the rain. I am serious.
I was hopeful about the CRTs...but all is not lost. I am also interested in:

- The flyback wires... taken out of the tubes intact with the boots.
- The lenticular screen if it is clean and undamaged.
- The black framing parts for the front acrylic screen (don't need the screen or the frame themselves...just the black plastic hardware that holds the screen to the frame).
- The flip-down panel door.

I may be interested in:

- The power supply board if the set powers on. Don't care if it "pops".
- The deflection board if the set displays a picture ok all three guns.
- The convergence board if it displays a grid. Don't care if the chips need to be replaced. I can do that easily.

If the red leds come on on any of the boards...maybe not.

I looked through your posts with Mr. Bob on the 510 forum. I see he thought your original problem was easy...apparently not. Can you describe what's wrong with the set? You might get more hits doing that...

Joe
post #10 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

The TV had what I thought was power board problems. After getting the power board repaired it was still popping and shutting off, lighting up the power board LED and the horizontal board directly to the left of the power board's LED (Deflection board I think? Not sure). On top of this when I first got the TV, it had some red ghosting issues that I believe are a symptom of bad IC's, again not positive. Anyway, after paying 200 and dropping another 400 on repairing the power board, I gave up and found another TV.

Anyway, the power board I am keeping as it is fully re-soldered and I will be able to use it in the 620 that I picked up if and when that one goes. The screen itself is in great shape as is the hardware that holds the protective screen on. I can certainly pull these pieces along with the front flip down door for you. I have decided to keep the TV over the weekend so I will gut what I can from it, paying attention to the parts you requested.

I really appreciate your interest so prices will be extremely reasonable. I'll update you further as I pull pieces off, likely saturday afternoon as I will be busy till then.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-24-2010, 12:30 PM

Yes, the horizontal board is the deflection board. You may want to keep this board as a spare. I know the 510 and 520s boards are practically interchangeable... there are slight differences, but you can use the x10 boards in the x20s...but not vice-versa. At least the PS board.

Sounds like the convergence board went bad. It may just need the convergence chips...I just upgraded both of my convergence boards using the 180s. It is relatively straight-forward. The chips are cheap, and with good solder wick and patience, it is a simple swap out.

Let me know if you decide to gut it and I will think more carefully about it. I certainly appreciate the offer for the parts. I need them. We can take it private. Send me an email at gruessing [dot] joseph [at] gmail. Thanks.

Good luck with unloading it. I am sure someone who is willing to fix the convergence board will grab it.

Joe
post #12 of 13 Old 06-28-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Alright the TV is gutted, entirely, literally everything salvageable has been taken off. The front layer of the lenticular screen has a small tear on the right side that was only slightly noticeable when on. Not sure if it is still viable. All the other parts, trim, screws, metal holders, deflection board, convergence board, mirror, protective screen, wiring harnesses, etc looks good. Let me know what you guys need!

Joe, you obviously have dibs since you were the inspiration to actually go ahead and do this.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-28-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman0234 View Post

Alright the TV is gutted, entirely, literally everything salvageable has been taken off. The front layer of the lenticular screen has a small tear on the right side that was only slightly noticeable when on. Not sure if it is still viable. All the other parts, trim, screws, metal holders, deflection board, convergence board, mirror, protective screen, wiring harnesses, etc looks good. Let me know what you guys need!

Joe, you obviously have dibs since you were the inspiration to actually go ahead and do this.

Thanks. I'm sorry to hear it wasn't picked up. I do want parts... Let's take it offline. Email me at gruessing (dot) joseph [at] gmail (dot) com. Ok? You can also find my contact info at linkedin...or in the phone book.

I will take all the trim, screws, brackets, the entire protective screen and frame, the front panel door, the red flyback cables with the rubber boots if you can get them out of the tubes in one piece, the gray yoke magnets, the yoke CRT boards, the big ferrite cores, etc.

Because I have two sets in good working shape, I may consider the CRTs, including the coolant chambers and lenses, so I can send the cores to VDC to put new tubes in so I can have Bob do some special magic on them...he needs virgin tubes for this... let's talk about it.

Joe
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page