post #631 of 8837 Old 08-21-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykoboy2 View Post

Here's a question...I'm about to head into town cause I found a place showing off an 82 (not sure what year, but I'll ask) and a LaserVue (again, uncertain if it was the 65 or 75). What should I look for and what should I ask them about the sets?

Look first at what is most pleasing to your eye and wallet.
Consider where you are going to put a set in your house.
Thread members can tell you technically what to look for after you view.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8837 Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

Still dialing in the hdmi inputs for laptop/pc. Will be playing more tonight when I get home. On HDMI1 there are vert/horz adjustments in Advanced. Did not see such on HDMI2, have not had a chance to look at HDMI3.

Is HDMI1 configured to be a PC input?

Is HDMI™-PC Compatiblity limited to a particular HDMI port?

I can't find any such settings regardless of input used....and like the other guy earlier, mine overscans more than I'd like. But unlike the guy earlier, if I go into Nvidia's menu and try to resize the image to fit, even modifying to one pixel less (1919X1080p @ 60hz) the format defaults to 800X600. I also somehow got mine to go way underscan (2" of black around a supposedly 1920X1080p 60hz image) for a while and couldn't get out of it until I played with inputs and reset stuff.

We need to know what model TV you have, what brand video card your PC/laptop uses, what settings you've used on the TV, etc.
post #633 of 8837 Old 08-21-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

"Are we going to debate the word modest?"

Can we move on to answering technical questions and setup questions, etc.?

Step 1:

I suggest users get the Spears and Munsil BD Benchmark. It will help any user easily determine the proper levels. DLPs wash out the screen when driven to brightly (to much contrast). They ship overdriven.

Contrast especially is often set such that colors and even white are clipped by driving the set too bright. Spears and Munsil also give a very nice pluge and dynamic low pattern making setting brightness highly accurate. The dynamic high pattern and clipping patterns are also very useful in determing levels.

Just another blank signature.
post #634 of 8837 Old 08-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Liked: 14
I noticed that tweaktv.com has some user menu setting posted that some of you may be interested in.
post #635 of 8837 Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I guess club models are now back in the mix. Apparently model numbers will proliferate for our audiences delight... The following was posted in the a 3D thread...

Costco is now selling the Mitsubishi 3D Ready DLP WD60C10 for $799 after rebate

Just another blank signature.
post #636 of 8837 Old 08-21-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I guess club models are now back in the mix. Apparently model numbers will proliferate for our audiences delight... The following was posted in the a 3D thread...

Costco is now selling the Mitsubishi 3D Ready DLP WD60C10 for $799 after rebate

Great! Buy with your Amex and get a 3 year warranty total when you buy. What is the item number? Also does it come with a stand? In the past mits dlps have come with a stand.
post #637 of 8837 Old 08-21-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"3D Ready DLP WD60C10"

So basically the 60638?

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #638 of 8837 Old 08-21-2010, 06:31 PM

Liked: 11
My WD-60738 will be delievered tomm. P.C Richards opened a new store in my area and had employee pricing the cost was 1,115 Since my samsung 1080i bit the dust thought it was a good deal...

I bought a sony BDP-S570 along with it for 201.00 I dont have HDMI on my 5.1 thought that was a good deal but I might bring it back and get the samsung BDC-6800. I just heard a few having issues with the 6900.

Ok, so I've read though the forum and my question is:

will the Sharp 3D Shutter Glasses work with my 60738 and my 3D blueray player without any add on box?

I'm going to start with the setting from tweak tv anyone else care to share your settings tv viewing will mostly be at night in a dimly lit room.

Thanks
post #639 of 8837 Old 08-21-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

For those of you with a xx638, can you see and access directv channels without the adapter? What about the 738? I know for the xx638 you still need the adapter but can you at least see/access the channels without the adapter?

The 638 only supports checkerboard so that will need an adapter for 3D broadcasts. If you have a 3D Blu Ray that has a checkerboard out option, you won't need an adapter for that. The 738 and 838 models are the same. Although they all support the SbS broadcast, the D* receiver does not recognize the EDIDs on these TV's as being 3D compatible. You need the adapter or a Gefen HDMI detective with a supported EDID stored.
post #640 of 8837 Old 08-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime19 View Post

638, 738, 838 are all the same. Although they all support the SbS broadcast, the D* receiver does not recognize the EDIDs on these TV's as being 3D compatible. You need the adapter or a Gefen HDMI detective with a supported EDID stored.

I don't think the 638 natively supports SbS, just checkerboard.
post #641 of 8837 Old 08-22-2010, 04:40 AM

Thank you Prime and Morph,

I guess I have some reading to do on all this 3D stuff.. I need the adapter box to watch 3d shows? I have Cox Cable I doubt they broadcast anything in 3d.

What about the 3D dvd player do I need the adapter box to watch that also?

Thanks
Evan
post #642 of 8837 Old 08-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egold54 View Post

Thank you Prime and Morph,

I guess I have some reading to do on all this 3D stuff.. I need the adapter box to watch 3d shows? I have Cox Cable I doubt they broadcast anything in 3d.

What about the 3D dvd player do I need the adapter box to watch that also?

Thanks
Evan

Yeah evan, this quote is taken from the mitsubishi site:
"Mitsubishi 3DTVs (738 and 838 series) currently support the side-by-side 3D signal format. For support of other 3D formats, such as top-bottom and frame packing (3D Blu Ray standard), Mitsubishi 3DTVs will require the use of a 3D source device that outputs the 3D checkerboard format or a 3D source device coupled with the Mitsubishi 3D adapter. In all cases an emitter and matching 3D active shutter glasses or DLP Link active shutter glasses are required in order to view 3D content."

apparently the difference between mitsu's 3D ready and 3D TV is that the ready's use checkerbox exclusively whereas the 3DTV use SbS (side by side), sadly most blu-ray players use Top to Bottom format. This is a good thing, the top to bottom format has been said to deliver more 'pop' and 'wow' when compared to checkerbox and SbS. I have yet to have the ability to compare all 3 so I'm going by what I've read.

Furthermore there is a panasonic 3d-blu-ray you can buy that is compatible with all 3 formats. Not sure what the model # is but you can find the info in this thread. I'd advise to return your current blu-ray and find the panasonic. Seems rediculous to spend 400 on a mitsu adapter on a brand new tv. Wait for the price to go down a bit. Cox does not have 3d content yet so you wont be missing out. Only thing you might get from them is the Masters Golf tournament in 3D on demand.
post #643 of 8837 Old 08-22-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post

I don't think the 638 natively supports SbS, just checkerboard.

You are correct, I modified my post.
post #644 of 8837 Old 08-22-2010, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACIDFAN View Post

Yeah evan, this quote is taken from the mitsubishi site:
"Mitsubishi 3DTVs (738 and 838 series) currently support the side-by-side 3D signal format. For support of other 3D formats, such as top-bottom and frame packing (3D Blu Ray standard), Mitsubishi 3DTVs will require the use of a 3D source device that outputs the 3D checkerboard format or a 3D source device coupled with the Mitsubishi 3D adapter. In all cases an emitter and matching 3D active shutter glasses or DLP Link active shutter glasses are required in order to view 3D content."

apparently the difference between mitsu's 3D ready and 3D TV is that the ready's use checkerbox exclusively whereas the 3DTV use SbS (side by side), sadly most blu-ray players use Top to Bottom format. This is a good thing, the top to bottom format has been said to deliver more 'pop' and 'wow' when compared to checkerbox and SbS. I have yet to have the ability to compare all 3 so I'm going by what I've read.

Furthermore there is a panasonic 3d-blu-ray you can buy that is compatible with all 3 formats. Not sure what the model # is but you can find the info in this thread. I'd advise to return your current blu-ray and find the panasonic. Seems rediculous to spend 400 on a mitsu adapter on a brand new tv. Wait for the price to go down a bit. Cox does not have 3d content yet so you wont be missing out. Only thing you might get from them is the Masters Golf tournament in 3D on demand.

The adapter is only $99. You will need it for 3D broadcasts and for 3D Blu Ray unless the player has a checkerboard or SbS (738, 838 only) out option. The DLP-Link glasses are $106 a piece. You don't need an emitter if you get the DLP-Link glasses so the $400 set is not needed.
post #645 of 8837 Old 08-22-2010, 12:16 PM

heheh I kept saying checkerbox instead of checkerboard my bad =X

thanks for the info, I had not realized the adapter was sold by itself
post #646 of 8837 Old 08-22-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Costco does have the 60" wd60c10 at some stores on coupon/rebate for a price of $799.99 which isn't bad since it comes with a two year warranty. Item number is 996010. I have not been able to determine if if comes with a stand, anyone know?
post #647 of 8837 Old 08-22-2010, 03:59 PM

I just got my 60738, I'm coming from a sammy 61" dlp. sO FAR i just used the the settings from tweak tv and it's so so. The colors look washed out and not that sharp but then again i'm only using component. I have hdmi on order I hope the hdmo makes a big difference.

By the way you guys should check out bluejean cables...

I just watched my first bluray wowwwwwwwww unreal the detail.. Makes going back to HD Cable the same as going from HD cable to standard cable.

sorry, just had to thow those in.

Back to the 3D thing.. I read in the manual that the set supports checkerboard and side by side. Did they forget to include the top, bottom format or were they just left out in the cold.

Is this correct then?

I can't find what 3d format the sony bdp-S570 uses but are you guys saying it depends on what the bluray disc is. If it's checkerboard or side by side were ok no mits box needed but if its top, bottom then you need the box?

I'm a bit confused if I should keep my 570 or return it for that panasonic with is 430 bucks..

Thanks for your help so far

Evan
post #648 of 8837 Old 08-22-2010, 04:34 PM

I have the 2010 WD-65C9. Out of the box the color temp was really loud. I tried the various standard settings but the color and tint never seemed quite right.

Now to the AVS forum and ADV mode...saw the Jaseman post with calibrated settings. I used those recommended settings and the picture is much better. I must say the picture is just stunning now that the color temps are toned down.

X3 for using jaseman settings as a great place to start
post #649 of 8837 Old 08-22-2010, 05:06 PM

@ Blu-ray player
It would seem to be much more price effective to keep your sony 3D blu-ray player and buy the $99 adapter + DLP-link glasses ($103 x People) as prime noted.

I was totally mistaken, I only recommended the panasonic because I thought you had to buy that 400 dollar 3D starter kit.
- Regardless of what blu-ray player you get you will still need shutter glasses.
- You'll need the adapter for when Cox does start offering 3d content in the future.

The panasonic is $299 so stick with the sony.

fletchoman, the C9 is a 2009 model, C10 is 2010. I have my eyes set on the C9, very good price on the 73" @ Dell.com if anyone else is interested btw.
post #650 of 8837 Old 08-22-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACIDFAN View Post

@ Blu-ray player
It would seem to be much more price effective to keep your sony 3D blu-ray player and buy the $99 adapter + DLP-link glasses ($103 x People) as prime noted.

I was totally mistaken, I only recommended the panasonic because I thought you had to buy that 400 dollar 3D starter kit.
- Regardless of what blu-ray player you get you will still need shutter glasses.
- You'll need the adapter for when Cox does start offering 3d content in the future.

The panasonic is $299 so stick with the sony.

fletchoman, the C9 is a 2009 model, C10 is 2010. I have my eyes set on the C9, very good price on the 73" @ Dell.com if anyone else is interested btw.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...72010072918593

Panasonic is coming out with the BDT100 sometime this month that might be checkerboard and a more economical Blu Ray compared to the BDT300 & 350. You might want to consider that.
post #651 of 8837 Old 08-22-2010, 05:48 PM

Thanks for all the help, I'll keep the sony and get the box 2 pairs of glasses a little more than 300. I'll now have to sell it to the wife,,that's going to cost me more than the whole damn thing Im sure.
post #652 of 8837 Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I took delivery of my 60738 on Friday and have been quite impressed. Comcast in my area has the X-Games, PGA Championship and the 4 new movies all available onDemand. One thing I found interesting is that the X-games and the 4 movies are all in TtB format. I first watched the X-Games and it was quite impressive. When I switched to the African Safari movie and then to Haunted House, something seemed "off". After reading another thread, I found the suggestion of using the "reverse" option in the 3D menu. Bingo! All of the movies worked as I had hoped that they would.

My confusion is that all of the content is originating from my Motorola DCX3400 DVR and going through the Mitsu adapter, but the TtB ESPN broadcast worked in standard mode and the TtB movies needed reverse. Why would this be?

PSN = ChitownJackalope

Blackhawk Down(stairs) Theater
post #653 of 8837 Old 08-23-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Lining up my to do list with tweaks. Anyone check and adjust the geometry on the x738's?

Since I'm not really familiar with Mits or DLP for that matter, I'm also wondering about geometry adjustability. I've had a 70738 for a couple of weeks and haven't made any adjustments yet because the TV is in a bad place right now. I'm waiting on a stand that will have it at the right height. Anyway, while watching 4:3 aspect programs the left edge of the image seemed bowed out to me. My wife said she couldn't see it so I tried to dismiss it.

It finally got to me so I threw in AVCHD to check the geometry. Overscan is about 2.5% all around, so the image is nice and centered, but with the crosshatch pattern the distortion was clearly visible. The corners are fine, but as you get to the vertical middle the image bows to the left by just under 1/4". It is only on the left 1/3 of the screen maybe a little more or a little less. It's hard to tell because it gets worse as you get closer to the edge. The right half of the screen only varies by maybe a 1/16th which is essentially nothing.

1/4" doesn't seem like much, but it was clearly visible to me. So now I have to decide if it's worth the giant pain in the ass to try to swap out the TV, or if there are any service menu adjustments that might be able to tame it.
post #654 of 8837 Old 08-23-2010, 10:09 AM

So I just bought the 65838 - should get delivery in 1 week or so.

I hated all TV stands I found (either for quality, functionality, or price).

I decided to build my own (out of solid oak...... )

I am dialing in height. Check my logic:

I want my eyes at center screen when sitting. This is about 40 inches for me.

Per the Mits site, center screen for the 65 inch is 22.7 inches. ((31.8 inch screen / 2) + 6.8 inch base = 22.7 inch center.)

So, 40 - 22.7 = 17.3 inch height for stand.

Sound about right?

Also, is there a +/- on these DLPs I could work with? So could I go 17.3 +/- 3 inches for instance?
post #655 of 8837 Old 08-23-2010, 10:35 AM

I too am a proud owner of the 60-738 and loving it so far.

There was mention of a firmware upgrade that will allow top-bottom and frame packing 3D on the Mitsubishi website and the early pages of this thread when I bought the TV a few weeks ago. I can't find anything about it on the website anymore and all the posts I've seen related to 3D content are referencing the adaptor.

Is anyone aware if there are still plans to release a firmware upgrade that will allow for top-bottom and frame packing 3D without an adaptor? Does anyone know when it will be released and how we will receive the upgrade?
post #656 of 8837 Old 08-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeebc View Post

I too am a proud owner of the 60-738 and loving it so far.

There was mention of a firmware upgrade that will allow top-bottom and frame packing 3D on the Mitsubishi website and the early pages of this thread when I bought the TV a few weeks ago. I can't find anything about it on the website anymore and all the posts I've seen related to 3D content are referencing the adaptor.

Is anyone aware if there are still plans to release a firmware upgrade that will allow for top-bottom and frame packing 3D without an adaptor? Does anyone know when it will be released and how we will receive the upgrade?

I asked Mits support about it this morning and the guy said there was no date and then seemed to backtrack a bit and say no update was needed because you could use the adapter.

Of course, I can't get a straight answer on the full manual either. I have a feeling that we'll see an update and the manual at the same time so that they can release the manual with the latest features included.

Just a guess anyway. Three times I've asked support and I have yet to get anything even close to a clear answer.
post #657 of 8837 Old 08-23-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"say no update was needed because you could use the adapter."

That'll be problematic for MIT. They've clearly identified the 738/838 series lines as being 3D, no adapter needed.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #658 of 8837 Old 08-23-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:

"say no update was needed because you could use the adapter."

That'll be problematic for MIT. They've clearly identified the 738/838 series lines as being 3D, no adapter needed.

They don't anymore.

Buzz

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #659 of 8837 Old 08-23-2010, 05:00 PM

congrats KBLEE I got mine yesterday, Did you buy the whole 3D kit or just the adapter and then the glasses somewhere else?

I'm waiting on delivery of my hdmi cables before saying it beats out my old samsung.

Are we have to use the Mitsubishi AW-NU231 or will any N usb work?

How do we update the firmware anyway?

Thanks

Evan
post #660 of 8837 Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 PM

I got my 73738 last week. I am getting really bad pin cusion when using my vista HDMI PC, when looking at pictures both left and right side of pics are bowing inward, also noticed pin cusion on regular TV viewing but its really noticable on PC viewing pictures etc. Is there and adjustments to correct this? Also my stand from my previous TV is 22 in high and I sit about 10 ft, can really notice top of screen gets dimmer when line of site is lower than center screen, when I slowly stand and get my eye to center screen the top gets brighter. This would not be a problem with at least 12ft or more. Its really bad if I am tired and lay down on couch. Will have to build another stand, 17 inch high sounds about right. For a temporary fix a have put a 1/2 inch strip of wood under the rear of the TV making the top lean forward, this helps alot, it simulates an center screen with a 17in stand. Any ideas on geometry problems?? Really hate to return TV for pin cusion. Other than that picture is great.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page