7Likes

post #8071 of 8840 Old 11-13-2011, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by myron243 View Post

Just checked Amazon. Seems Samsung changed from IR to bluetooth for the 2011 models. Since the Monoprice ones are IR they should work okay for a Mits.

I would confirm that by borrowing a pair or asking Monoprice if they will send a pair on approval. I seem to remember Samsung having 2 different IR protocols, one of which was incompatible with Mits, but I am not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 8840 Old 11-13-2011, 05:52 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks, I probably would do that. I don't really need extras right now, but if I do I will ask them. They might be willing to do it, since that would open up the market to a whole new group of people if they worked.

Brew
post #8073 of 8840 Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrister View Post

I would confirm that by borrowing a pair or asking Monoprice if they will send a pair on approval. I seem to remember Samsung having 2 different IR protocols, one of which was incompatible with Mits, but I am not sure.

I sent a inquiry to monoprice today about the compatibility of their "Samsung" 3D glasses (product # 8578) with Mits 3D DLP rear projection TVs. I suggest a few other forum members ask the same question and perhaps that will get their attention. The link to submit questions about monoprice products is:

http://www.monoprice.com/home/home.asp?pn=contact

I clicked on the "Tech Support" tab then checked off "compatibility question" then filled out the form.

UPDATE: I received the following response from monoprice tech support, but I take it they really don't know if their 3D glasses will work with Mits DLP 3D RPTVs, just that they only guarantee the glasses to work with Samsung 3DTVs.

"Thank you for contacting us at Monoprice.com. In regards to your inquiry, no, they are specific to the brand of TV, and other brands are not guaranteed to work with them. We do not carry 3D glasses for Mitsubishi DLP 3D rear projection TVs unfortunately."

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #8074 of 8840 Old 11-13-2011, 03:40 PM

If anyone needs any parts for one of these units, I'm essentially parting one out. I have the light engine (with bulb) listed in the Classifieds now.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...do=ad&id=16529

If you need anything else, let me know soon before I haul the rest to the dump.

Everything is there and in working order except for the screen. (it's a long story)
post #8075 of 8840 Old 11-15-2011, 01:17 PM

Hi everyone! Haven't posted in a long time. Still very happy with my TV. But I see the new models and wonder what I'm missing. Does anyone have a link to a compaison table so i can see whats been upgraded on the new 2011 miodels compared to mine? light engine? processor?

thanks,
Kipperman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8076 of 8840 Old 11-15-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipperman View Post

Hi everyone! Haven't posted in a long time. Still very happy with my TV. But I see the new models and wonder what I'm missing. Does anyone have a link to a compaison table so i can see whats been upgraded on the new 2011 miodels compared to mine? light engine? processor?

thanks,
Kipperman

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/theater.html

follow the links at the bottom to get the detailed specs.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #8077 of 8840 Old 11-16-2011, 06:52 AM

Thanks Augerhandle,
I guess I'm looking for more detail than is posted on their company website. Maybe someone with a service manual link? I's like to know if the new models have upgraded the scaler chip? I think they are now capable of generating 3d from normal 2d programmming where the WD-73737 is only capable of checkerboard 3d. things like that. did they fix the pulsing iris problem? are the new sets more easily calibrated? blue used to be impossible to dial in on the 2009 models. etc

post #8078 of 8840 Old 11-19-2011, 09:03 PM

Hey guys, a bit of a lurker, but now that I have finally settled on a set (WD60738) I have found this forum more helpful.

I hooked up the WD60738 to the Comcast RNG 110 HDMI cable box and all seems fine until I change a channel or stop a on demand program.

If the cable box takes too long to acquire the requested channel or I stop, rather than pause, an on demand program, the set seems to lose the signal. Sometimes the Cable Box icon displays in the upper left hand corner of the screen, sometimes it doesn't.

If I change the input to media box or DVD and then back to cable box, I have a picture.

At first I thought it was the cable box so I exchanged it for a new one (both were brand new), but the problem remains.

I was originally using a regular HDMI cable but replaced it with a high speed HDMI cable to no avail.

Cable box or set?
post #8079 of 8840 Old 11-25-2011, 07:18 AM

Good morning. Thursday i went to my local bestbuy and bought an open box WD-73838. Got it home and moved my Wd-60638 and sold that to my sister and put the 73 inch set in its place. Compared to the 60638 the picture on the 73 with a blu ray is in a word awesome. I`m having one problem though. When ever i try and make adjustments through the remote the command is sent several times. If i adjust the volume on the set itself it will change in single increments but when i use the remote it will increase the volume in multiples. Example one click of the remotes volume button will adjust from 10 to 15. This also happens in other menu items such as switching from brilliant to bright to normal. Instead of going from one to the next it will jump over one or two settings. The web streaming is the same. Instead of going from one app it jumps 2 to 3 of them and i`m unable to access any of the content. It`s not the actual remote because i have a harmony remote and it functions the same. Doesn`t matter what remote i try and use. the results are the same. Navigating through the set with the included buttons works fine. It`s just the remotes operation that has these issues.

I got what i believe to be a really good price and it was the last one in the store so returning it really isn`t what i want to do. For warranty purposes the receipt states that the one year manufactures warranty is in effect. Just not overly fond of mitsu customer support. I`ve used it in the past and feel as though i know more about their products than they do. lol.

Almost forgot to add that i have tried a factory reset using the menu and pressing 123 on the remote and updated to the latest firmware as evidenced by the firmware listing on the menu.
post #8080 of 8840 Old 11-25-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxie500fb View Post

Good morning. Thursday i went to my local bestbuy and bought an open box WD-73838. Got it home and moved my Wd-60638 and sold that to my sister and put the 73 inch set in its place. Compared to the 60638 the picture on the 73 with a blu ray is in a word awesome. I`m having one problem though. When ever i try and make adjustments through the remote the command is sent several times. If i adjust the volume on the set itself it will change in single increments but when i use the remote it will increase the volume in multiples. Example one click of the remotes volume button will adjust from 10 to 15. This also happens in other menu items such as switching from brilliant to bright to normal. Instead of going from one to the next it will jump over one or two settings. The web streaming is the same. Instead of going from one app it jumps 2 to 3 of them and i`m unable to access any of the content. It`s not the actual remote because i have a harmony remote and it functions the same. Doesn`t matter what remote i try and use. the results are the same. Navigating through the set with the included buttons works fine. It`s just the remotes operation that has these issues.

I got what i believe to be a really good price and it was the last one in the store so returning it really isn`t what i want to do. For warranty purposes the receipt states that the one year manufactures warranty is in effect. Just not overly fond of mitsu customer support. I`ve used it in the past and feel as though i know more about their products than they do. lol.

Almost forgot to add that i have tried a factory reset using the menu and pressing 123 on the remote and updated to the latest firmware as evidenced by the firmware listing on the menu.

Seems you figured out the reason it was returned. Call Mits service and see what happens.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #8081 of 8840 Old 11-25-2011, 11:52 AM

I just got off the phone with support and we ran through the regular trouble shooting steps. I have to call back monday because they want to start with a replacement remote even though i stated the same thing happens with my harmony remote and logitech revue. I`m sure within time we`ll get it resolved. I got a year warranty. I really don`t want to return because i only paid $800.00 and got a good price for my 1 year old 60638.
post #8082 of 8840 Old 11-25-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:

I just got off the phone with support and we ran through the regular trouble shooting steps. I have to call back monday because they want to start with a replacement remote even though i stated the same thing happens with my harmony remote and logitech revue. I`m sure within time we`ll get it resolved. I got a year warranty. I really don`t want to return because i only paid $800.00 and got a good price for my 1 year old 60638.

You won't have to return it. They'll either fix it or send a replacement out on their own if you are in warranty period. My old Mits got fixed plenty of times, until they finally replaced it with my 73738.
post #8083 of 8840 Old 11-26-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73 View Post

You won't have to return it. They'll either fix it or send a replacement out on their own if you are in warranty period. My old Mits got fixed plenty of times, until they finally replaced it with my 73738.

You must have had an XXX25 series because those had a lot of problems. They didn't replace mine though but offered me the XXX38 series for a very low price.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #8084 of 8840 Old 11-26-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Questions for owners of the 60638 (or other 638 owners). I'm thinking about getting a 60638 but have a few questions:

Is the screen a matte finish (not glossy) or is it glossy or shiny?

Does these DLP's suffer from the SOE (soap opera effect)?

Overall these tv's seem like a great bargain. I am coming from a 50" Samsung plasma (720P) which I love but I want bigger

Will I happy with the PQ on the 638 compared to my 720P Sammy plasma?

Thanks,

-Guru
post #8085 of 8840 Old 11-26-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

You must have had an XXX25 series because those had a lot of problems. They didn't replace mine though but offered me the XXX38 series for a very low price.

It was actually the 73727. Light Engines failed on those like 3rd graders in Quantum Physics classes.
post #8086 of 8840 Old 11-26-2011, 12:37 PM

Hello everyone, I am severely hearing impaired so I rely heavily on close captioning. Since I do read lips, I notice on some but not all TV programs and movies that the close captions do not keep in synce. Sometimes it's too fast or too slow. I wonder if it's the close captioning services or the TV. If it's the TV, how can I fix it? Also since my 65738 has only one digital audio output, does that limit the choices for home theater set up such as Sony 3D blu ray player and speakers? I am using dish network dvr. I don't want to blow out the TV speakers since to me it's not loud enough for me to hear. Thanks!
post #8087 of 8840 Old 11-26-2011, 05:55 PM

Anyone got a lead on where to buy the 60738, or any of the 60" models? I have one an a friend of mine is looking for one. Know this might be hard but any leads I'd appreciate.
post #8088 of 8840 Old 11-26-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsinart View Post

Anyone got a lead on where to buy the 60738, or any of the 60" models? I have one an a friend of mine is looking for one. Know this might be hard but any leads I'd appreciate.

According to the mits website, http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/WD60638 Walts and Best Buy.

Best Buy has the 60638 with free shipping, Walt's has both, with the 638 about $100 cheaper than BB. I don't know about the shipping policy at Walt's.

http://www.walts.com/products/WD-60738.html
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mitsubishi+-+Home+Cinema+/+60%22+Class+/+1080p+/+60Hz+/+3D+DLP+HDTV/9966999.p?

post #8089 of 8840 Old 11-26-2011, 10:34 PM

Where do you guys buy your replacement lamps? Are the lamps offered by other outlets the OE unit, and if not, how do they hold up compared to the OE?

My 60738 was a floor model and has a hair under 3600 hours on the lamp. Thinking it's a good idea to replace it and save it as a spare.
post #8090 of 8840 Old 11-27-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsinart View Post

BestBuy.com is supposed to be offering the 60638 for $599 as part of it's cyber monday sale but I'm not sure when it's actually going 'live.' That deal should offer free shipping as well.

-Guru
post #8091 of 8840 Old 11-27-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LelandC View Post

BestBuy.com is supposed to be offering the 60638 for $599 as part of it's cyber monday sale but I'm not sure when it's actually going 'live.' That deal should offer free shipping as well.

-Guru

I saw that rumor too. Their Cyber Sunday / Monday Sale is going on now, and it's not $599.

post #8092 of 8840 Old 11-27-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

I saw that rumor too. Their Cyber Sunday / Monday Sale is going on now, and it's not $599.

Maybe it's not going live at that price until tomorrow. Who knows I guess?

-Guru
post #8093 of 8840 Old 11-27-2011, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey Guys. My 82838 just made a popping sound and immediately shut off with a fast blinking light.

The green light finally went out but it took me awhile powering up and changing channels until the picture finally appeared.

Has this happened to anyone else and ideas what might be wrong?
post #8094 of 8840 Old 11-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Just got a used 73838, it's about 10 months old, use sparingly. maybe a couple of hours a day so probably about 600 hours of on time.

I have a HP MD6580 which I love the picture and colors, but for some reason I can't get the Mitz to look as good. So I will be trying some of the calibration DVD sets to see if I can get it to my liking, maybe turning off some of the "buzz words" add-on like edge enhancement and so on.

But the one thing that truly bothers me is that sometimes it looks like the 4 corners are dimmer than the rest of the picture. Normally I would just assume the bulb is on its way out, but its not always that way, there will be a commercial where a logo is in the center of a white screen and it looks fine, then there will be another scene were the corners are dim.

Do you think that i'm just used to the 65" which the coverage is better with the bulb than with a 73" or is it the bulb or a setting. Or am I excepting too much of the Mitz to compare to the MD6580?

Thanks in advance
post #8095 of 8840 Old 11-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO710HD View Post

Hey Guys. My 82838 just made a popping sound and immediately shut off with a fast blinking light.

The green light finally went out but it took me awhile powering up and changing channels until the picture finally appeared.

This has happened to me probably 4 or 5 times since getting my 73838 in April of 2011. In all times, it always happens when watching cable with a Motorola cable box - it's never happened on PS3 or a DVD Jukebox I have hooked up (each component is run individually to the TV; I am not using any sort of HDMI switch nor does my receiver have HDMI capability) so on mine, I'm assuming it's some sort of bad electrical juju coming through the cable line. I'm not sure how to solve it.

FYI I had the main board replaced early on because it would lose it's HDMI handshake settings, and this sudden popping and turning off occurred both before and after the main board replacement (although the other problem did go away)
post #8096 of 8840 Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

It's the main board. Had mine replaced(for the same reason), and going on a second one next Monday. It happened through my DirecTv. Not sure if it happened while on blu/Xbox(all of which are connected thru HDMI).

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #8097 of 8840 Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

It's the main board. Had mine replaced(for the same reason), and going on a second one next Monday. It happened through my DirecTv. Not sure if it happened while on blu/Xbox(all of which are connected thru HDMI).

But my warranty was up last month? You think Mits will stand by and replace it?
post #8098 of 8840 Old 11-29-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

They have been pretty good with me in doing service on my Mits then it's out of warranty so I don't think you'll have problems.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #8099 of 8840 Old 11-29-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

They'll probably give you a grace period(being that close), especially since it's a well-known defect. Also, tell them it's been intermittent for awhile, and you thought it was a fluke 'til you read about it online. Hope that helps.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #8100 of 8840 Old 11-29-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73 View Post

It was actually the 73727. Light Engines failed on those like 3rd graders in Quantum Physics classes.

It took almost 5 years for my 73727 to fail. Luckily I had purchased an in-store warranty (one of the few I ever got) and ended up with a new 73738.

Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. This does NOT apply to remotes!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page