AVS Forum banner

2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (738/838 series)

1M views 9K replies 910 participants last post by  BatteryBob 
#1 ·
Thought I would start this thread as a proud owner of a 73738. I actually ordered the 73C9 on 5/28/2010 and was shipped the 73738 on 6/1/2010 so I was very fortunate.

Considering the native SbS format feature, I decided to check out ESPN 3D. However, I came to find out that DirecTV did not include the 738/838 EDIDs in their supported list of 3D TV's within their 3D firmware upgrade and decided to only include the 3DA-1 adapter's EDID in order to support all Mitsu DLPs in one fell swoop. Of course, that adapter isn't out yet, so I was left out in the cold...until a post from Casey Bryson caught my eye. Long story short, he thought a Gefen HDMI detective plus unit could trick the D* receiver into believing the TV was a supported one by recording a supported EDID and intercepting the D* signal before it got to the TV. Well, he was right. I had a GHDP shipped to me on 6-12 and took it to Best Buy. I hooked it up to a Samsung True 3D TV and recorded the EDID. Brought it home, hooked it between the receiver and the TV and instantly had the World Cup in 3D.

My setup is a DirecTV HR22/100 receiver hooked into a Gefen HDMI Detective with a Samsung True 3D TV EDID stored on it. That is hooked into the Onkyo R580 (HDMI 1.4a) A/V receiver which is linked into the TV.

Although it is possible D* will support the 738/838 EDIDs in a future firmware update, they may not so I am sticking with the current setup until I hear otherwise. I will probably test it when D* does a firmware update without the GHDP in between to see if they added support.

One of the best features of this series is that the frame packing and top/bottom 3D formats will be natively supported just like checkerboard and SbS is now with a future summer software upgrade meaning an adapter won't be necessary for these models (if D* supports these models and allows the 3D signal without having a GHDP to trick it or if you have a GHDP with a supported EDID).

I look forward to conversing with fellow owners and hope to share ideas, answer questions about the TV and post about the future software update when it arrives and how to get it to your TV (or finding out myself from someone posting here).

See less See more
#7,002 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socen /forum/post/20467169

Just set up my HTPC. My picture is too large for the screen.

Meaning that at 1920x1080p resolution, my tv does not show everything that SHOULD be showing. My start button and clock are cut off.

Help please.

This is because the TV has overscan - some of the picture gets projected outside the boundaries of the screen. How you resolve this depends on what video card chipset you're using. For ATI cards, there's a slider available that allows you to adjust the overscan OR you can create a custom resolution starting with a 1080p timing that reduces the size of the desktop a bit to take the overscan into account. NVidia and Intel chipsets should have similar options available. When viewing media though, you should switch back to the standard 1080p resolution with no scaling to get the best picture quality. Check the Home Theater Computers subforum for specifics for your particular video card chipset.

#7,005 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel /forum/post/20468003

Tech's coming out today to check the ring on my screen from the light engine(while on or off), the main board for the random shut-downs, and tweak the geometry. We'll see how it goes...

I have to wonder if most people's geometry is easier to deal with than mine was... After making the adjustments myself I feel that pretty much no way I would entrust a service tech to do it for me. I spent about 1:45 on mine getting it as close to perfect as possible (and it is).

I was making adjustments practically on the micron level it seemed over and over and over and over again until it was to my taste.. Don't picture ANY tech that Mits. would send sitting here going through that trouble or even caring at all that I wanted my set PERFECT.

Perhaps either I or my TV is just difficult to please

#7,006 ·
Well I'm really loving this TV. So far I have not detected the geometry issues during normal watching, not even when using the guide on my DVR. With certain test grids, particularly the built in grid, I can see that it is uniformly bowed. I may try to handle that later on, I've looked into it a bit, and it certainly looks complicated. Yesterday I just tinkered with the service menu enough to move it to the left and get it properly centered. This TV has far less overscan than my last one, I definitely like that. It's got less than 2.5% on the sides and right about 2.5% on the top and bottom. I had to readjust XBMC since it had gaps all the way around after switching TVs.

Using the AVS disc I have the black dialed in perfectly, and I can see almost every step of white flashing but the last one. Color and tint are perfect also. I think next weekend I'll take some measurements and see how the grey scale and all the colors are set.

#7,008 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel
How's that? It's the same exact ring whether the set's on or off, light or dark room...
if it's in the center of the screen and you can see it with the TV powered off. then it is light reflecting from a window or a lamp somewhere.

#7,010 ·
I have the Mitsubishi 3D kit glasses using the IR emitter plugged into the back of the TV.

Just wondered what the best settings are for the 3D portion. I'm using a PS3 updated and have Verizon FIOS as well. Do I choose "automatic"? and leave the L-R settings as is, and IR emitter as well.

I see the 3D, and it looks great, but just want to verify that's all I need to do....

Thanks.

#7,011 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemascreen
I have the Mitsubishi 3D kit glasses using the IR emitter plugged into the back of the TV.

Just wondered what the best settings are for the 3D portion. I'm using a PS3 updated and have Verizon FIOS as well. Do I choose "automatic"? and leave the L-R settings as is, and IR emitter as well.

I see the 3D, and it looks great, but just want to verify that's all I need to do....

Thanks.
I run mine (with PS3) on automatic and it seems to work well. The alternative is to switch it to whatever type of 3D content is being output, every time it changes... Lot more hassle. The auto setting seems to work well on mine anyway.

#7,012 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhbrit /forum/post/19346004

I just wish more TV channels were 1080p so we'd get the most out of the TV.

Ya there's not much that delivers true 1080p quality. Even within the same channel like HBO HD the quality differs between movies. At times it's like WOW nice pic other times I have to check and make sure I'm on the right channel.

#7,016 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by du3ce /forum/post/20470665

Just thought id share what my set up looks like, i have a 60incher

Good job. Looks really nice,neat and organized.

#7,018 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas /forum/post/20468771

Using the AVS disc I have the black dialed in perfectly, and I can see almost every step of white flashing but the last one. Color and tint are perfect also. I think next weekend I'll take some measurements and see how the grey scale and all the colors are set.

Is there more than one AVS disc?

I found this one on this site,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

I just want to be sure I'm downloading the correct one.

Thanks!

#7,020 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by du3ce /forum/post/20470665

Just thought id share what my set up looks like, i have a 60incher

Looks very well organized. I'm curious how high up is that TV shelve? Is the viewing angle pretty decent still at that level?

Also I am curious where your DVD "towers" were purchased? Been looking for something about that style and have not been able to find any local at all.

#7,021 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel /forum/post/20469672

Why would light in the room show a ring on the lower third/center of the screen? Sure, there'll be light reflected on the screen(from a lamp or outside), but that's all over the whole screen. I could see the light engine creating that while on. But while off?

The screen is translucent and bi-directional. Light inside comes "out" in the form of visible images. Light from outside goes inside through the translucent screen, reflects off the 2 mirrors and sometimes ends up creating a reflection that hits the small mirror which reflects the stray light back onto the large mirror and that reflects back onto the screen making a visible artifact. The internal reflection (created by light in the room) may or may not look anything like the light source that creates it because the light from the room will be diffused 2 times before it is visible again.

#7,022 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPiON5150 /forum/post/20472082

Looks very well organized. I'm curious how high up is that TV shelve? Is the viewing angle pretty decent still at that level?

Also I am curious where your DVD "towers" were purchased? Been looking for something about that style and have not been able to find any local at all.

yeah its not too bad its about 4 4.5 ft, i got the towers at big lots

#7,023 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn /forum/post/20472443

The screen is translucent and bi-directional. Light inside comes "out" in the form of visible images. Light from outside goes inside through the translucent screen, reflects off the 2 mirrors and sometimes ends up creating a reflection that hits the small mirror which reflects the stray light back onto the large mirror and that reflects back onto the screen making a visible artifact. The internal reflection (created by light in the room) may or may not look anything like the light source that creates it because the light from the room will be diffused 2 times before it is visible again.

Thank u for the explanation. So is it a defect then??? I haven't read anyone else mention they saw it on their set. Are you saying it's normal? If everyone has it I guess it's normal. Maybe others haven't seen it because it's so subtle. Today I've got all the shades closed w/ no lights on and I can still barely see it. During a movie I barely see it in very dark scenes(much like what the screen looks like when it's off). It seems to me it shouldn't be there(if no one else has it). Am I wrong??? Thanks again for the detailed answer.