2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (738/838 series) - Page 298 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 57
MOVING SITUATION . .
I WANT TO PUT MY 73" INTO MY SMALLER ROOM, being replaced by a 75" Samsung H6350
THIS INVoLVES TRYING TO MOVE A 65" LONG 18 deep box around 2 seemingly do-able corners/doorways IF!carried upright, like it looks like it should be done
I 've been measuring, trust me . .
HERE IT IS!?
Has any one tried moving a beast of this nature ON THE SIDE/EDGE , tipping the whole thing vertically, which would make the operation a snap BUT
I'm unsure about the load bearing capacity of the edge,bezel,front panel wrt to not screwing up the panel or frame etc.
I can see that maybe a padded "cleat", that could catch on the the solidly fixed base, attached to a dolly and tall enough to keep the edge/bezel from bearing any load, might allow for some careful tipping/positioning and be a good load bearing arrangement to ease /minimize/eliminate weight on the edge where the front panel/bezel is. . ..
after 3 1/2 years its still good, a new bulb after 6000+ hours into a totally darkened room at a viewing distance around 8 feet should be rather immersive
looking for a clever/doable solution and knowledge wrt to having a TV worth watching after the move is done . .
thank you


and yes, I'm awaiting feedback from mits. . .

Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CenterLow, Icon 25 CenterHigh, RC3II: SL/R , Surround Rears :Icon 36 Towers, SLX: TF & TR-
RB51's:FH
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SUBMAXIMUS and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73738 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
asarose247 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-26-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Augerhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedAnLoaded View Post
Hey, would you say, your tv, before the bulb burnt out, was really dim, and the picture was, meh ..

and now, with the new bulb, the tv is brand new again similar to how I would look at a new LED LCD on the showroom floor ?

Honestly, looking at my picture quality, and seeing these are worth $400 only, I was actually wondering if I should just spend ~ $1200 on a LED LCD, even if it's smaller , vs $150 or so for a new bulb,

is the picture get that much better ? similar to how a $1200 LCD would look ?
Remember when you first got the TV, and while watching football, you suddenly realized that you had been sitting there with a slack jaw just looking at the picture and ignoring the game?

Yeah, it's like that.

YMMV, IMHO, RTFM, etc.
Blue Rain and old corps like this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
 
Augerhandle is offline  
Old 11-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Member
 
LockedAnLoaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
MOVING SITUATION . .
I WANT TO PUT MY 73" INTO MY SMALLER ROOM, being replaced by a 75" Samsung H6350
THIS INVoLVES TRYING TO MOVE A 65" LONG 18 deep box around 2 seemingly do-able corners/doorways IF!carried upright, like it looks like it should be done
I 've been measuring, trust me . .
HERE IT IS!?
Has any one tried moving a beast of this nature ON THE SIDE/EDGE , tipping the whole thing vertically, which would make the operation a snap BUT
I'm unsure about the load bearing capacity of the edge,bezel,front panel wrt to not screwing up the panel or frame etc.
I can see that maybe a padded "cleat", that could catch on the the solidly fixed base, attached to a dolly and tall enough to keep the edge/bezel from bearing any load, might allow for some careful tipping/positioning and be a good load bearing arrangement to ease /minimize/eliminate weight on the edge where the front panel/bezel is. . ..
after 3 1/2 years its still good, a new bulb after 6000+ hours into a totally darkened room at a viewing distance around 8 feet should be rather immersive
looking for a clever/doable solution and knowledge wrt to having a TV worth watching after the move is done . .
thank you


and yes, I'm awaiting feedback from mits. . .
I believe that is a very valid concern, and myself, would NOT move it like that, unless Mitsubishi says so.
LockedAnLoaded is offline  
Old 11-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 57
^
thanks , seems like a no brainer but it was part of the equation.
in the meantime I have built a 16" high double 3/4 " plywood riser about 17' wide but placed to allow the "optimal" centers of gravity on the dolly wrt the mass of the TV.
there are a few longish shelf brackets and a base that I believe will maintain the riser in uncompromised vertical stability
gotta love deck screws . .
and some old rug stapled over the top just to be nice to that 10 1/2 inches of base that that sits about 15+ back from the outmost edge wrt the bezel
getting the TV up, tilted and GENTLY set down of that small edge is gonna need 3 people so there's a snag
but measuring the distance wrt to where the centerline of the screen will be on the "new" entertainment center is actually lower by 2" than the center line of the existing 55" but the 55 is only 27 high for the screen and the mitsy is 36" , a new bulb and it should be all good, yammy 775, 8.1 in less than 10 x 11 ft room.
I'll check the dolly for fit after the first move, which will be to put the TV on a B&D Workmate. I should have enough wiggle room to check for clearances and fit,
THEN it's show time
I took a picture of the dolly setup but 2 megs is too big to post

Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CenterLow, Icon 25 CenterHigh, RC3II: SL/R , Surround Rears :Icon 36 Towers, SLX: TF & TR-
RB51's:FH
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SUBMAXIMUS and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73738 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
asarose247 is online now  
Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Augerhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
^

...tilted and GENTLY set down of that small edge is gonna need 3 people so there's a snag...

Three people? I think you are over thinking this move. The TV only weighs 91 lb.

http://mitsubishi-tv.com/asset/file/...csheet-738.pdf

You and a ten-year-old could carry it to the next room. No dolly required.
audiofan1 likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
 
Augerhandle is offline  
Old 11-26-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedAnLoaded View Post
Hey, would you say, your tv, before the bulb burnt out, was really dim, and the picture was, meh ..

and now, with the new bulb, the tv is brand new again similar to how I would look at a new LED LCD on the showroom floor ?

Honestly, looking at my picture quality, and seeing these are worth $400 only, I was actually wondering if I should just spend ~ $1200 on a LED LCD, even if it's smaller , vs $150 or so for a new bulb,

is the picture get that much better ? similar to how a $1200 LCD would look ?

In MY opinion better.


Ed
old corps is online now  
Old 11-26-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Three people? I think you are over thinking this move. The TV only weighs 91 lb.

http://mitsubishi-tv.com/asset/file/...csheet-738.pdf

You and a ten-year-old could carry it to the next room. No dolly required.
Or 2 old farts like my wife & I.......


Ed
old corps is online now  
Old 11-26-2014, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 57
its not the carrying, its the lack of room to make the turns into and out of the short hallway, even tho the set is only 18 inches deep, its 65 inches long . . when I strat measuring angle and cleanrance, its just too tight
I had the same problem putting the loveseat into the room, I removed the backs and put all else on one end, vertically and VOILA!
I can see that pictures will help so i'll take a few and figure how how to shrink them to post or maybe go to imgur

Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CenterLow, Icon 25 CenterHigh, RC3II: SL/R , Surround Rears :Icon 36 Towers, SLX: TF & TR-
RB51's:FH
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SUBMAXIMUS and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73738 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
asarose247 is online now  
Old 11-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Member
 
johnnymacIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedAnLoaded View Post
Hey everyone, I purchased my 72" DLP about 3.5 years ago, I even posted about 100 pages back about it.

anyway, anyone think, that once these tv's get a few years old, that the picture quality looks like crap ? I remember when i got it, popped in a blu-ray ,and was just blown away by the picture ..

today I wented over to a friends house that has a 3 year old Sony Bravo 55'' LCD , and the picture had to look 100 times better , brighter, all around awsome-er than mine !

does the picture quality degrade on these with age ? I have original bulb .


Do I need to calibrate my tv again ?
Yes, picture quality degrades with age, but can be restored to "brand new" quality by getting a new bulb. As your bulb ages, your bulb dims, which results in a lower contrast ratio, which results in lower picture quality.

With that being said, without knowing what model Sony your friend has, I'm not sure your Mitsubishi will be able to compete even after replacing the bulb. These TVs are excellent for price/size value, but are lacking in black level, native sharpness, color saturation, and contrast ratio.

I would recalibrate (turn contrast as high as you can go without clipping or getting a pinkish hue). Get a new factory (exactly the same) bulb if you want to keep the TV.
johnnymacIII is offline  
Old 11-27-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Augerhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
its not the carrying, its the lack of room to make the turns into and out of the short hallway, even tho the set is only 18 inches deep, its 65 inches long . . when I strat measuring angle and cleanrance, its just too tight
I had the same problem putting the loveseat into the room, I removed the backs and put all else on one end, vertically and VOILA!
I can see that pictures will help so i'll take a few and figure how how to shrink them to post or maybe go to imgur
No picture necessary. I have the 2009 73" model in the living room.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
 
Augerhandle is offline  
Old 11-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Senior Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 57
the mitsy is really good, and even tho recent sales for $400-500 seem like WHAT!, a new bulb and in that saml room with the 3D , especially with it totally dark, may need some recalibration
the only issue I will have to deal with is the fan noise so I may try some front wall sound treatment panels in back of the TV or a Roxul construct " around" the vents that might help , maybe Velcro some OC703 panels ONTO the case, might minimize almost nonexistent vibration/hum
Happy Thanksgiving to ALL AVS fans and a special tip of the HATLO hat to the heavy lifters
Blue Rain and old corps like this.

Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CenterLow, Icon 25 CenterHigh, RC3II: SL/R , Surround Rears :Icon 36 Towers, SLX: TF & TR-
RB51's:FH
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SUBMAXIMUS and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73738 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
asarose247 is online now  
Old 11-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Member
 
LockedAnLoaded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone give me the part number for the bulb for a wd-73838 ?

A google search only leads me here.

And the mitsubishi site only asks me for the part number ? But doesn't let me search ?
LockedAnLoaded is offline  
Old 11-27-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Augerhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedAnLoaded View Post
Can anyone give me the part number for the bulb for a wd-73838 ?

A google search only leads me here.

And the mitsubishi site only asks me for the part number ? But doesn't let me search ?
I would recommend only Mitsubishi lamps, I've seen too many reports of problems with aftermarket lamps.

https://mitsuparts.3diamonds.com/Pro...Model/WD-73838
Blue Rain likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
 
Augerhandle is offline  
Old 11-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Member
 
johnnymacIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedAnLoaded View Post
Can anyone give me the part number for the bulb for a wd-73838 ?

A google search only leads me here.

And the mitsubishi site only asks me for the part number ? But doesn't let me search ?
Make sure your TV is cool and pull out your lamp. get the part # and put it back in. Be careful to not touch the bulb. From there, see if you can find it on amazon or eBay. I replaced mine for $88 for my 65738.
johnnymacIII is offline  
Old 11-28-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Blue Rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedAnLoaded View Post
Hey, would you say, your tv, before the bulb burnt out, was really dim, and the picture was, meh ..

and now, with the new bulb, the tv is brand new again similar to how I would look at a new LED LCD on the showroom floor ?

Honestly, looking at my picture quality, and seeing these are worth $400 only, I was actually wondering if I should just spend ~ $1200 on a LED LCD, even if it's smaller , vs $150 or so for a new bulb,

is the picture get that much better ? similar to how a $1200 LCD would look ?
The last few weeks the pic got dimmer and dimmer (really bad) and the color looked like crap (looked yellow/green) then it just stopped showing anything.

It was getting dimmer way before that but the picture was still great because I upped the settings. Remember, I had over 15000 hours on my lamp.

If u wait as long as I did you will lose picture .

DLP doesn't look like LCD's.. DLP's look more natural and LCD's look fake to me. Nothing in real life looks like LCD's.


I say get a new lamp and use the extra money you would use for a new LCD and buy other stuff. Then in a few years when you decide to get rid of your Mits DLP ...OLED and 4K's will be cheaper and more in your price range and the kinks should be cleared up by then.

Yes my DLP looks like brand new !
old corps likes this.

73" Mits DLP
Panasonic AE4000 Projector

Last edited by Blue Rain; 11-28-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Blue Rain is online now  
Old 11-28-2014, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 57
the MOVE is successfully done , moved on the modded dolly, 3 guys and a few extra precautions . . . .
yes we did try "just pick it up"
but as I anticipated, it wouldn't make the turn
I may still mod the entertainment center and lower it but building a short 5-7 inches riser for the couch seems easier and then I can figure out taller / other speakers for L/R or at the suggestion of Erich at DIYsoundgroup, go for the matching LCR fusion 8's combo, flat packs and built xo's for about a grand
thanks to those who were interested and provided input


and of course NOW that there's room for the new 75" LED, there are currently none to be found around here, but i'm sure it's onlt temporary . .
Blue Rain and old corps like this.

Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CenterLow, Icon 25 CenterHigh, RC3II: SL/R , Surround Rears :Icon 36 Towers, SLX: TF & TR-
RB51's:FH
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SUBMAXIMUS and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73738 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
asarose247 is online now  
Old 11-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 57
wd73838 bulb: 915B441001

LAMP (180W) (V43/V43C/V43+/V43++) 'G'
Genuine Mitsubishi (OEM) approved replacement part.

Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CenterLow, Icon 25 CenterHigh, RC3II: SL/R , Surround Rears :Icon 36 Towers, SLX: TF & TR-
RB51's:FH
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SUBMAXIMUS and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73738 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
asarose247 is online now  
Old 11-28-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rightintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post
The last few weeks the pic got dimmer and dimmer (really bad) and the color looked like crap (looked yellow/green) then it just stopped showing anything.

It was getting dimmer way before that but the picture was still great because I upped the settings. Remember, I had over 15000 hours on my lamp.

If u wait as long as I did you will lose picture .

DLP doesn't look like LCD's.. DLP's look more natural and LCD's look fake to me. Nothing in real life looks like LCD's.


I say get a new lamp and use the extra money you would use for a new LCD and buy other stuff. Then in a few years when you decide to get rid of your Mits DLP ...OLED and 4K's will be cheaper and more in your price range and the kinks should be cleared up by then.

Yes my DLP looks like brand new !
15K hours? Even on low setting, that's gotta be a record. Yes, LED's look brighter(which I prefer), but the motion blur was more of a turn off than the dimming lamps. At least I can replace those.
old corps and audiofan1 like this.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
rightintel is online now  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off