AVS Forum banner

2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (738/838 series)

1M views 9K replies 910 participants last post by  BatteryBob 
#1 ·
Thought I would start this thread as a proud owner of a 73738. I actually ordered the 73C9 on 5/28/2010 and was shipped the 73738 on 6/1/2010 so I was very fortunate.

Considering the native SbS format feature, I decided to check out ESPN 3D. However, I came to find out that DirecTV did not include the 738/838 EDIDs in their supported list of 3D TV's within their 3D firmware upgrade and decided to only include the 3DA-1 adapter's EDID in order to support all Mitsu DLPs in one fell swoop. Of course, that adapter isn't out yet, so I was left out in the cold...until a post from Casey Bryson caught my eye. Long story short, he thought a Gefen HDMI detective plus unit could trick the D* receiver into believing the TV was a supported one by recording a supported EDID and intercepting the D* signal before it got to the TV. Well, he was right. I had a GHDP shipped to me on 6-12 and took it to Best Buy. I hooked it up to a Samsung True 3D TV and recorded the EDID. Brought it home, hooked it between the receiver and the TV and instantly had the World Cup in 3D.

My setup is a DirecTV HR22/100 receiver hooked into a Gefen HDMI Detective with a Samsung True 3D TV EDID stored on it. That is hooked into the Onkyo R580 (HDMI 1.4a) A/V receiver which is linked into the TV.

Although it is possible D* will support the 738/838 EDIDs in a future firmware update, they may not so I am sticking with the current setup until I hear otherwise. I will probably test it when D* does a firmware update without the GHDP in between to see if they added support.

One of the best features of this series is that the frame packing and top/bottom 3D formats will be natively supported just like checkerboard and SbS is now with a future summer software upgrade meaning an adapter won't be necessary for these models (if D* supports these models and allows the 3D signal without having a GHDP to trick it or if you have a GHDP with a supported EDID).

I look forward to conversing with fellow owners and hope to share ideas, answer questions about the TV and post about the future software update when it arrives and how to get it to your TV (or finding out myself from someone posting here).

See less See more
#7,499 ·
First hi to all here, I'm in the process of getting ready to order a 73738 on Thursday
And need to know which method has the least hassel and fastest free shipping! Here are my choices narrowed down to 3.

1.) Let Amazon fullfill the order from Walt's or Paul's

2.) Buy direct from Walt's

3.) Buy direct from Paul's

Thanks in advance to all, list your experiences postive
or negative
!

#7,500 ·
I just recently bought from Amazon (via Pauls) but when the TV got here the screen was caved in. The box had no damage so I am very glad that I had the delivery guys wait until it was opened before I let them go. they packed it up and Amazon had refunded me within 2 days. I did the repurchase through Walts for no really good reason. I havent gotten that one yet but it did ship faster then the first one. It shouldnt really matter though as they're both coming from an Amazon warehouse.

I think that either way is fine so long as it is fulfilled by Amazon. then you have free returns for any reason for up to 30 days (at least with the 65"). If its not fulfilled by Amazon then you're stuck with whatever return policy the third party vendor has.

#7,502 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 /forum/post/20682141

First hi to all here, I'm in the process of getting ready to order a 73738 on Thursday
And need to know which method has the least hassel and fastest free shipping! Here are my choices narrowed down to 3.

or negative
!

1.) You will probably be covered by Amazon's A to Z guarantee, you can check if it does on the product link, gives you a little more protection if something goes wrong.

Personally I wouldn't purchase this particular item unless it was sold directly by Amazon.

#7,503 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktitan /forum/post/20682988

I just recently bought from Amazon (via Pauls) but when the TV got here the screen was caved in. The box had no damage so I am very glad that I had the delivery guys wait until it was opened before I let them go. they packed it up and Amazon had refunded me within 2 days. I did the repurchase through Walts for no really good reason. I havent gotten that one yet but it did ship faster then the first one. It shouldnt really matter though as they're both coming from an Amazon warehouse.

I think that either way is fine so long as it is fulfilled by Amazon. then you have free returns for any reason for up to 30 days (at least with the 65"). If its not fulfilled by Amazon then you're stuck with whatever return policy the third party vendor has.

With in how many days did it ship from when he order was placed?

#7,504 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 /forum/post/20682141

or negative
!

I guess it would also depend on where you live. I live in NM and Walt's is in AZ so it is very close. I got my 73833 and a Denon receiver from Walt's and only have good things to say. The first Denon receiver didn't work so Walt's paid to send it back and sent me another. I bought something from Paul's through Amazon once and had a bad experience with one of their customer service people so I left a bad rating on Amazon. Paul's called me back and made sure they corrected the problem and had me change the rating but I haven't bought anything from them since. I guess it only takes one bad experience to keep me away even after they try to correct it?

#7,505 ·
I am a little confused about the 3D on the 738 series.

It was my understanding that all that is needed is a source and glasses to view 3D. I have a new Directv box that is compatible , and I was planning on buying a 3D Blu Ray player.

Is it correct that I do not need an emitter? If so, why is there a emitter jack on the back of the TV?

#7,506 ·
you'll need DLP link glasses and make sure the tv has the latest firmware. If not, you can download and install the firmware. No emitter will be needed.

#7,507 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gater1848 /forum/post/20684436

I am a little confused about the 3D on the 738 series.

It was my understanding that all that is needed is a source and glasses to view 3D. I have a new Directv box that is compatible , and I was planning on buying a 3D Blu Ray player.

Is it correct that I do not need an emitter? If so, why is there a emitter jack on the back of the TV?

Because you can use IR glasses or DLP-link glasses.

#7,508 ·
Hey just to give some people some info on 3d settings. I found out that if you hook up your computer to your tv using hdmi(I have a 82 738 with the 12.08 firmware). DO NOT call your input PC if you plan on doing 3d with audio. If you rename your input "PC", and 3d resolution does not support sound. Just rename it something else.

Now can someone help me. I have a comcast 8300hd DVR. The cable box does not automatically recognize it as a 3d tv. I can manually set side by side and those 3d programs work fine, but if I try to view top/bottom 3d programs, it only displays one eye on the tv (no 3d) and the glasses start flickering but the right eye is fully blocked out.

Has anyone figured a fix for that. Thanks

#7,509 ·

Quote:
Now can someone help me. I have a comcast 8300hd DVR. The cable box does not automatically recognize it as a 3d tv. I can manually set side by side and those 3d programs work fine, but if I try to view top/bottom 3d programs, it only displays one eye on the tv (no 3d) and the glasses start flickering but the right eye is fully blocked out.

I have the same box, although mine is branded Cisco, and experienced the same issue. I thought I had a bad TV and after about an hour and a half on the phone with Mitsubishi (who didn't have a clue btw) someone on this forum came through. For some reason this TV can't display TnB in 1080p so you must down convert your signal to 720p in order to watch TnB. I've tried it with a DVD and it worked perfectly so I expect the result will be the same with cable I just haven't got into my box to change the settings yet.

#7,512 ·
I am deciding between the 638 and 738 series and was trying to ascertain the differences between the two series in terms of picture quality. I know that the 738 has internet built in (which I don't need as I'll be buying a Blu-Ray player and does not require any additional inerface for 3D. But in terms of picture quality, will the picture be noticibly better on the 638 vs the 738?

I will be watching a mix of Blu-Ray, HD cable, and non HD cable with a typical viewing distance of 13 feet, and will be buying either the 65 inch or 73 inch.

I know that similar questions in this regard have been asked much earlier in this thread but I was unclear about the specific nature of picture quality differences, and the reason for this differences.

I would very much appreciate any perspective the experts here on avs might provide. Thanks so much.

#7,513 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two
you'll need DLP link glasses and make sure the tv has the latest firmware. If not, you can download and install the firmware. No emitter will be needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16
Because you can use IR glasses or DLP-link glasses.

Makes sense...Thanks!

#7,514 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcbos
I am deciding between the 638 and 738 series and was trying to ascertain the differences between the two series in terms of picture quality. I know that the 738 has internet built in (which I don't need as I'll be buying a Blu-Ray player and does not require any additional inerface for 3D. But in terms of picture quality, will the picture be noticibly better on the 638 vs the 738?

I will be watching a mix of Blu-Ray, HD cable, and non HD cable with a typical viewing distance of 13 feet, and will be buying either the 65 inch or 73 inch.

I know that similar questions in this regard have been asked much earlier in this thread but I was unclear about the specific nature of picture quality differences, and the reason for this differences.

I would very much appreciate any perspective the experts here on avs might provide. Thanks so much.
Here are the step-up features of the 738, with the most important features (to me) in red. http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/pdf/specsheet-738.pdf

■ 3DTV*
■ StreamTV™Internet Media
■ Wireless Internet Ready (Optional Adapter)
■ Plush 1080p 5G 12-bit Video Processor
■ Smooth120™■ EdgeEnhance™■ DeepField Imager™■ Advanced Video Calibration
■ Universal Remote Control

Without 3DTV, you will need the $99 adapter. If you eventually have it calibrated (which I recommend), the Advanced Video Calibration will be important. You'll need to read up on the rest, to see how important they are to you.

#7,515 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1

or negative
!
I ordered my 82-738 from Amazon, selected free super saver shipping, on 7/1/11. It shipped from Walt's on 7/3/11 and I received, in southern Georgia, today. They sent two truck so they would have two guys deliver. They brought it in, with my help, unpacked it, placed it on my stand, and I plugged in 1 HDMI cable and the power cord and turned it on before they even considered leaving. No damage to the box, and they seemed to be very careful. Other than needing my help, and a lot of it, to bring the tv in (both drivers were well over 60 and in poor condition) and some communication problems with the secondary courier, I had no problems and highly recommend this.

Walt's also answered my questions within a day of email through Amazon. Great service so far!

Now, I just have to figure out which glasses to get, and whether to go IR or DLP-Link.

Jack

#7,516 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle
Here are the step-up features of the 738, with the most important features (to me) in red.

■ 3DTV*
■ StreamTVInternet Media
■ Wireless Internet Ready (Optional Adapter)
■ Plush 1080p 5G 12-bit Video Processor
■ Smooth120■ EdgeEnhance■ DeepField Imager■ Advanced Video Calibration
■ Universal Remote Control

Without 3DTV, you will need the $99 adapter. If you eventually have it calibrated (which I recommend), the Advanced Video Calibration will be important. You'll need to read up on the rest, to see how important they are to you.

Thanks so much for the info. Does the Plush 5G processor make a noticeable difference, and if so, on what sources?

#7,517 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcbos
Thanks so much for the info. Does the Plush 5G processor make a noticeable difference, and if so, on what sources?
12 bit increases the color accuracy of the processor, among other things, for all sources.

#7,519 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandhunter /forum/post/20688082

What stand would you suggest for a 82" Mitsubishi. I have preordered one of the new 82840's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the skill and a few tools, just build one. That way you can customize it to fit your equipment. I could not find a stand that either fit like I wanted or was priced reasonably so I built one from scratch. For the first time I ever built anything like that I think it went well.

The dimensions on mine are: 73.2" wide, 23.75" deep, and 18.5" high if you include the 2.5" tall casters. I put 8 casters rated at 100# each under it. That makes it so much easier to move around and it is really no problem to move it on a plush carper fully loaded. I put a molding at the bottom of the stand that completely hid the casters and just barley touches the top of the carpet.

Jack

#7,520 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcbos /forum/post/20686794

At 13 feet you will see only 720P resolution with the 65 inch set and the 73 is only a little better. 3D also looks better at closer distances, try to get closer if you can, more like 8-10 feet max for the 73 inch. See the chart in my sig, I believe it to be pretty accurate for people with 20-20 vision. I set 7-8 feet from my 65 inch set and 3D looks great using DLP link glasses.

Mike T

#7,522 ·
I have been using the omnimount Echo for my wd73838 for close to a year now. I chose it for its unobtrusive modern design and its unusually low stance. The lower shelf holds my Pioneer AV receiver, my Fios 7232 DVR and cable box, a 2TB Fantom eSata hard drive for the DVR, a 300 CD Pioneer disc carousel player and the center speaker from my Polk Blackstone 250 5.1 sound system.

I find the unit to be sturdy and heavy. It fits my 73" with less than an inch overhang on either side. It's depth is perfect for the tv and appears to be extremely steady. I can observe no bowing of the top shelf. It was very easy to assemble and appears to be real solid wood.

The only drawback I can see is the lack of casters. Since this tv will require lamp replacements, it would be handy to be able to roll one side out from the wall to make that job easier. However, the set can be easily lifted by one person on one end and positioned on another piece of furniture. (By the way, no sign of bulb dimming at well over 3000 hours of use.)

#7,523 ·
I spoke with Mits today about an extended warranty on a 65738. The sales guy told me that they were kicking around giving away a replacement lamp for each year of extended warranty that you purchase through them. Has anyone else heard of this? I typically dont buy extended warranties, however at the prices quoted it might be worth it if it did include a lamp...

prices were:

1 year - 169.99

2 year - 299.99

3 year - 449.99