2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (738/838 series) - Page 303 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #9061 of 9072 Old 11-08-2015, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes I did the software update. I really like this TV and would love to hold on to it for 3-4 more years : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9062 of 9072 Old 11-09-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSatch View Post
Yes I did the software update. I really like this TV and would love to hold on to it for 3-4 more years : )
Mine did that when I 1st bought it, so I had them replace the main board(which many reported was the problem). If you really want to keep it for a few years, you could always get an estimate I suppose.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #9063 of 9072 Old 11-24-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been playing the new Star Wars game lately, and a lot of it is in snow-covered white environments. I've seen a TON of screen flickering on my WD-82838 in the white background lately. If memory serves, this was a common problem w/ these back in the day. Can anyone refresh me as to why this happens(lamp=roughly 16,500hrs)?

post #9064 of 9072 Old 11-24-2015, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
I've been playing the new Star Wars game lately, and a lot of it is in snow-covered white environments. I've seen a TON of screen flickering on my WD-82838 in the white background lately. If memory serves, this was a common problem w/ these back in the day. Can anyone refresh me as to why this happens(lamp=roughly 16,500hrs)?

I've mostly heard of it happening with people using aftermarket lamps instead of the Mitsubishi lamps. Some have improved it by switching Lamp Energy to Bright (page 58 of the Owners Manual).

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #9065 of 9072 Old 11-25-2015, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Mine has been replaced with a Vizio E70-C3. If anyone in So Cal is interested in the Mitsu let me know.
post #9066 of 9072 Old 12-28-2015, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hooked up an Xbox one in place of an Xbox 360 on hdmi 3 on my 73738--then my hdmi 3 stopped working and is now greyed out after I tried deleting it. Then I put the Xbox one on hdmi 2 and it stopped working! I did not delete hdmi 2, so it is not greyed out, but it does not work either. My hdmi 1 and component inputs still work. Tried a system reset and no luck. Do I need a new main board and if so, can someone suggest a source? I really love the TV and intend to keep it.
post #9067 of 9072 Old 12-28-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrister View Post
I hooked up an Xbox one in place of an Xbox 360 on hdmi 3 on my 73738--then my hdmi 3 stopped working and is now greyed out after I tried deleting it. Then I put the Xbox one on hdmi 2 and it stopped working! I did not delete hdmi 2, so it is not greyed out, but it does not work either. My hdmi 1 and component inputs still work. Tried a system reset and no luck. Do I need a new main board and if so, can someone suggest a source? I really love the TV and intend to keep it.
You could try unplugging the TV, then doing the reset while things are still plugged into the appropriate HDMI input. Also, remember that the One has 2 HDMI's, and I think one is for the cable/sat box or kinect, and one is for the TV's input. If you switched them, the TV won't self detect a new device.

post #9068 of 9072 Old Today, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still trying to figure out a tweak/calibration for an issue I'm having on an 82738 I picked up used a handful of months ago, but I'm not even sure what to call it...
The picture is 'pretty good' for an older DLP for a cheap price...but...

Typically I will see blotchy patterns when viewing skin tones, clouds, and water (basically anything with 'smooth' surfaces or not too many color differences). They will all slightly push to a darker rose or purple tone.
For examples on human faces, I'll get lots of extra rosy blushing with discreet changes from the 'peach' colors to the 'red' colors on a face. With clouds, I'll have a cloud with greys and blues, but it's like the DLP can only figure out 5 colors across the width of the cloud where there are discreet zones of color, where I'd expect a gradual and smooth change across the cloud.
It's not bad enough to deter watching, but as a video quality enthusiast, it stands out for me, and something I wouldn't expect in a well calibrated tv.
I've done a calibration with an Avia disc with the main adjustment (non service menu) as soon as I got the set (and have done a few times since, and it doesn't help the problem)
This happens on all sources, on all inputs, for both photos via Chromecast or Video from online streaming to BluRay...so I assume it a calibration thing that I can fix somehow? right?
(I mean, it doesn't only happen in certain areas of the screen, implying not a lens cleaning issue)
Is this a color wheel issue where maybe my 'red' section of my color wheel is slightly blemished from dust or smoke from a previous owner?
Is this just a calibration of some of the magenta/red in a service menu that I need to troubleshoot?
Is this a 'typical' issue for these units? I have perused YT vids and some threads, but see other issues (like crazy solarization and white spots, but not the issue I describe above).
Any insight would be appreciated.

Is this phenomenon known as solarization? banding?

I tried tweaking my color wheel IDL value a bit recently with the color bar patterns, and that didn't seem to help.

Vegetables are what food eats.
post #9069 of 9072 Old Today, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
I'm still trying to figure out a tweak/calibration for an issue I'm having on an 82738 I picked up used a handful of months ago, but I'm not even sure what to call it...
The picture is 'pretty good' for an older DLP for a cheap price...but...

Typically I will see blotchy patterns when viewing skin tones, clouds, and water (basically anything with 'smooth' surfaces or not too many color differences). They will all slightly push to a darker rose or purple tone.
For examples on human faces, I'll get lots of extra rosy blushing with discreet changes from the 'peach' colors to the 'red' colors on a face. With clouds, I'll have a cloud with greys and blues, but it's like the DLP can only figure out 5 colors across the width of the cloud where there are discreet zones of color, where I'd expect a gradual and smooth change across the cloud.
It's not bad enough to deter watching, but as a video quality enthusiast, it stands out for me, and something I wouldn't expect in a well calibrated tv.
I've done a calibration with an Avia disc with the main adjustment (non service menu) as soon as I got the set (and have done a few times since, and it doesn't help the problem)
This happens on all sources, on all inputs, for both photos via Chromecast or Video from online streaming to BluRay...so I assume it a calibration thing that I can fix somehow? right?
(I mean, it doesn't only happen in certain areas of the screen, implying not a lens cleaning issue)
Is this a color wheel issue where maybe my 'red' section of my color wheel is slightly blemished from dust or smoke from a previous owner?
Is this just a calibration of some of the magenta/red in a service menu that I need to troubleshoot?
Is this a 'typical' issue for these units? I have perused YT vids and some threads, but see other issues (like crazy solarization and white spots, but not the issue I describe above).
Any insight would be appreciated.

Is this phenomenon known as solarization? banding?

I tried tweaking my color wheel IDL value a bit recently with the color bar patterns, and that didn't seem to help.

It sounds like posterization, which is usually caused by compressed sources. Are all your sources plugged directly into the TV, or do they go through an AVR, 3D converter, etc?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #9070 of 9072 Old Today, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it isn't your tv, but worth a watch to see if any of the symptoms are similar.

post #9071 of 9072 Old Today, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
It sounds like posterization, which is usually caused by compressed sources. Are all your sources plugged directly into the TV, or do they go through an AVR, 3D converter, etc?
I do have many things running through a Pioneer Elite receiver, but the video processing there is set to bypass. Additionally, I've had other items not run through the receiver but to the other HDMI inputs on the TV itself. I've also plugged in items directly into the TV via HDMI (that we running through the receiver). So, my limited knowledge has me definitely leaning away from a source issue. It happens no matter where the HDMI wires comes from. I even have a Chromecast dongle in one of the TV HDMI ports presently, and all internet or phone video and photo sourcing all does it.

Vegetables are what food eats.
post #9072 of 9072 Old Today, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
I do have many things running through a Pioneer Elite receiver, but the video processing there is set to bypass. Additionally, I've had other items not run through the receiver but to the other HDMI inputs on the TV itself. I've also plugged in items directly into the TV via HDMI (that we running through the receiver). So, my limited knowledge has me definitely leaning away from a source issue. It happens no matter where the HDMI wires comes from. I even have a Chromecast dongle in one of the TV HDMI ports presently, and all internet or phone video and photo sourcing all does it.

Cable and Internet video are the biggest culprits. Try Blu-ray only, and watch the same scene with and without going through the receiver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page