2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (738/838 series) - Page 305 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #9121 of 9124 Old 12-05-2016, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm going solely on ottoinct's experience and reviews I saw on Amazon, but I am assuming (hoping?) it's not difficult. I purchased the Osram bulb from Dynamic Lamps through Amazon.com. Strong seller scores and Amazon return policy.
Araltd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9122 of 9124 Old 12-05-2016, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerwildcat View Post
I'm going solely on ottoinct's experience and reviews I saw on Amazon, but I am assuming (hoping?) it's not difficult. I purchased the Osram bulb from Dynamic Lamps through Amazon.com. Strong seller scores and Amazon return policy.
I saw them (dynamic lamps) I think the bulb was around $18. I'm assuming it's the right bulb for my model. Is there anything special I should know about installing the bulb in the housing?

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Sent from my Note 6

Mitsu WD82738 DLP TV
Media Center PC HDMI@1080p
Moto 6412-III HD-DVR
Yam RXA3000 & Atlantic Tech speakers
post #9123 of 9124 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thumbs up Replacing the bulb only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araltd View Post
I saw them (dynamic lamps) I think the bulb was around $18. I'm assuming it's the right bulb for my model. Is there anything special I should know about installing the bulb in the housing?

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Sent from my Note 6
My Osram bulb arrived and I followed the fairly simple and obvious steps in this video
Don't touch your new bulb. You will need gloves, and a magnetic screwdriver. Securing that wire at the end is tight. Unplug your TV and don't remove the old bulb until it's been off for at least an hour.

It only took about 10 minutes and was easy, except in my case, in the very first step, both of the plastic tabs snapped off when I tried to pry the assembly open. The good news is that the cover snapped back together anyway and it feels pretty tight, despite having those little pieces broken off. I would be very surprised if it created any problem.

The Osram bulb appears to be identical the the OEM bulb that it replaced, and was half the price of a whole assembly, so I'm a fan so far. It fired up and is definitely brighter than the old one. Will put it through it's paces in the weeks ahead.

For what it's worth, I spotted this Guide for spotting counterfeit projection lamps, but only after I installed the bulb, and I'm not taking it apart again just to check. If anybody else orders, it would be interesting to run it through this checklist.
NotShorty likes this.

Last edited by quakerwildcat; Yesterday at 02:08 PM.
post #9124 of 9124 Old Today, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerwildcat View Post
My Osram bulb arrived and I followed the fairly simple and obvious steps in this video BULB REPLACEMENT FOR WD-65738 WD-65838 WD-73738, WD-73838
Don't touch your new bulb. You will need gloves, and a magnetic screwdriver. Securing that wire at the end is tight. Unplug your TV and don't remove the old bulb until it's been off for at least an hour.

It only took about 10 minutes and was easy, except in my case, in the very first step, both of the plastic tabs snapped off when I tried to pry the assembly open. The good news is that the cover snapped back together anyway and it feels pretty tight, despite having those little pieces broken off. I would be very surprised if it created any problem.

The Osram bulb appears to be identical the the OEM bulb that it replaced, and was half the price of a whole assembly, so I'm a fan so far. It fired up and is definitely brighter than the old one. Will put it through it's paces in the weeks ahead.

For what it's worth, I spotted this Guide for spotting counterfeit projection lamps, but only after I installed the bulb, and I'm not taking it apart again just to check. If anybody else orders, it would be interesting to run it through this checklist.

From your link:
Quote:
7 Tips for spotting counterfeit projector lamps...

...7. Naked bulbs, no cage

Counterfeit lamps are often sold with no cage just the light bulb. Phillips has authorized MI Technologies to sell their replacement bulbs since this company also manufactures its own cages. It’s this is a rare exception to the rule, however. Most companies selling only light bulbs are selling counterfeits.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page