2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (738/838 series) - Page 305 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

post #9121 of 9137 Old 12-05-2016, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm going solely on ottoinct's experience and reviews I saw on Amazon, but I am assuming (hoping?) it's not difficult. I purchased the Osram bulb from Dynamic Lamps through Amazon.com. Strong seller scores and Amazon return policy.
Araltd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9122 of 9137 Old 12-05-2016, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerwildcat View Post
I'm going solely on ottoinct's experience and reviews I saw on Amazon, but I am assuming (hoping?) it's not difficult. I purchased the Osram bulb from Dynamic Lamps through Amazon.com. Strong seller scores and Amazon return policy.
I saw them (dynamic lamps) I think the bulb was around $18. I'm assuming it's the right bulb for my model. Is there anything special I should know about installing the bulb in the housing?

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Sent from my Note 6

Mits WD82738 DLP TV
Media Center HTPC
Denon AVR-X3300W
Atlantic Technology S250.1
Pinnacle Gold Classic Towers
post #9123 of 9137 Old 12-08-2016, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thumbs up Replacing the bulb only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araltd View Post
I saw them (dynamic lamps) I think the bulb was around $18. I'm assuming it's the right bulb for my model. Is there anything special I should know about installing the bulb in the housing?

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Sent from my Note 6
My Osram bulb arrived and I followed the fairly simple and obvious steps in this video
Don't touch your new bulb. You will need gloves, and a magnetic screwdriver. Securing that wire at the end is tight. Unplug your TV and don't remove the old bulb until it's been off for at least an hour.

It only took about 10 minutes and was easy, except in my case, in the very first step, both of the plastic tabs snapped off when I tried to pry the assembly open. The good news is that the cover snapped back together anyway and it feels pretty tight, despite having those little pieces broken off. I would be very surprised if it created any problem.

The Osram bulb appears to be identical the the OEM bulb that it replaced, and was half the price of a whole assembly, so I'm a fan so far. It fired up and is definitely brighter than the old one. Will put it through it's paces in the weeks ahead.

For what it's worth, I spotted this Guide for spotting counterfeit projection lamps, but only after I installed the bulb, and I'm not taking it apart again just to check. If anybody else orders, it would be interesting to run it through this checklist.
NotShorty likes this.

Last edited by quakerwildcat; 12-08-2016 at 01:08 PM.

post #9124 of 9137 Old 12-08-2016, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerwildcat View Post
My Osram bulb arrived and I followed the fairly simple and obvious steps in this video BULB REPLACEMENT FOR WD-65738 WD-65838 WD-73738, WD-73838
Don't touch your new bulb. You will need gloves, and a magnetic screwdriver. Securing that wire at the end is tight. Unplug your TV and don't remove the old bulb until it's been off for at least an hour.

It only took about 10 minutes and was easy, except in my case, in the very first step, both of the plastic tabs snapped off when I tried to pry the assembly open. The good news is that the cover snapped back together anyway and it feels pretty tight, despite having those little pieces broken off. I would be very surprised if it created any problem.

The Osram bulb appears to be identical the the OEM bulb that it replaced, and was half the price of a whole assembly, so I'm a fan so far. It fired up and is definitely brighter than the old one. Will put it through it's paces in the weeks ahead.

For what it's worth, I spotted this Guide for spotting counterfeit projection lamps, but only after I installed the bulb, and I'm not taking it apart again just to check. If anybody else orders, it would be interesting to run it through this checklist.

From your link:
Quote:
7 Tips for spotting counterfeit projector lamps...

...7. Naked bulbs, no cage

Counterfeit lamps are often sold with no cage just the light bulb. Phillips has authorized MI Technologies to sell their replacement bulbs since this company also manufactures its own cages. It’s this is a rare exception to the rule, however. Most companies selling only light bulbs are selling counterfeits.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #9125 of 9137 Old 04-24-2017, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
philips lamp

I know their are lots of threads about bulbs but I haven't found this before
I installed a new Philips lamp in a working wd 82738 tv the new bulb worked great for about 5-10 min then started flickering and getting weird looking.
I returned for a replacement and it did the same thing . I returned it I don't think they are knockoffs as they weren't cheap($90,)
Has anyone seen this problem before Ii order a new lamp from Mitsu?

Thanks for any help
post #9126 of 9137 Old 04-24-2017, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulf124 View Post
I installed a new Philips lamp in a working wd 82738 tv the new bulb worked great for about 5-10 min then started flickering and getting weird looking.
I returned for a replacement and it did the same thing . I returned it I don't think they are knockoffs as they weren't cheap($90,)

Thanks for any help
I had that with the first bulb I changed. It was a loose bulb that I had to install in the assembly myself. I assumed the worst but before I threw in the towel I removed, disassembled then reassembled everything. I paid extra close attention to the electrical connection points and made sure they were as tight as possible. I worked for three years and a month before it popped two weeks ago.

I bought my replacement bulb from batteries plus. It took four business days for the bulb to arrive. I can't vouch for its authenticity but it's the complete unit, out the door, for $71. There are some minor differences between the original and new assembly but it was plug and play and works great. This TV with a new bulb is still a great unit(65738). I even spent yesterday afternoon mucking about in the "Manual Geometry" section of the service menu. I should have done that yeas ago.

post #9127 of 9137 Old 04-25-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I had that with the first bulb I changed. It was a loose bulb that I had to install in the assembly myself. I assumed the worst but before I threw in the towel I removed, disassembled then reassembled everything. I paid extra close attention to the electrical connection points and made sure they were as tight as possible. I worked for three years and a month before it popped two weeks ago.

I bought my replacement bulb from batteries plus. It took four business days for the bulb to arrive. I can't vouch for its authenticity but it's the complete unit, out the door, for $71. There are some minor differences between the original and new assembly but it was plug and play and works great. This TV with a new bulb is still a great unit(65738). I even spent yesterday afternoon mucking about in the "Manual Geometry" section of the service menu. I should have done that yeas ago.
Thanks Catfish for the reply
the bulbs I tried were complete with the cages. both worked great for a short time then ng
any ideas or should I just go to Mitsu and buy the oem and hope it works.
Thanks
post #9128 of 9137 Old 04-25-2017, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I only use Mitsu lamps. They're not as expensive when you consider they are actually spec'ed for the TV, and how long they last, vs. bad lamps and possible TV damage when you roll the dice on aftermarket junk. To save what? $50-$80, over a two or three year period? I spend more than that for a month of cell phone use.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 04-25-2017 at 11:22 AM.
post #9129 of 9137 Old 04-25-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks Catfish for the reply
the bulbs I tried were complete with the cages. both worked great for a short time then ng
any ideas or should I just go to Mitsu and buy the oem and hope it works.
Thanks
You said you replaced the bulb in a working set. Does that mean the original still works?

post #9130 of 9137 Old 04-26-2017, 06:41 AM

Yes the original bulb still works. I just wanted to be proactive and replace it before it dies.
I have had the tv for several years, not sure how to see how many hours the bulb has on it .
post #9131 of 9137 Old 04-26-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Yes the original bulb still works. I just wanted to be proactive and replace it before it dies.
I have had the tv for several years, not sure how to see how many hours the bulb has on it .
That would leave me to believe that the bulbs are either bad or incorrect for the set. The first time I replaced my bulb I accidentally ordered the wrong one. It was identical in appearance to the original. If you want to get one that, barring TV issues, is sure to work; order from Mitsubishi.
allargon likes this.

post #9132 of 9137 Old 05-04-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
There are a lot fakes and damaged bulbs on both Amazon and E-bay. Sometimes you get a dud. The better sellers will refund your $$$. I've even had a few like "Exclusive Bulbs" allow a RMA of a $25 bulb.

Buy from Mitsubishi if you can. However, my understanding is that Mits takes a while to get bulbs to you. Usually I order from Amazon Prime sellers, because I know I will get my bulb in two day or less, when one blows.
post #9133 of 9137 Old 05-10-2017, 05:29 PM

I have or I used to have, before I sold it off to some friends who really like my old 73838, and after a bulb replacement or two along the way we have a new problem. After about 10 minutes it begins to what would best be described as going green and not the good way, before going gray-ish, and also not the good way. Any ideas to our new problem, no blinky lights to signal lamp failure or anything like that. Pulled the lamp looked good(it has only been in 3 months) but pulled a replacement we had in the closet and it does the same thing. So it's probably not the lamp, but the owner's manual I had is lone gone and I was wondering if there is a sequence to put it into some sort of diagnostic mode that it may point me in the right direction other than the colored lights that come on the front indicating the ones listed in the manual. Thanks.
post #9134 of 9137 Old 05-13-2017, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
L75-A91 Manufactured in September of 2010 question

Like everyone else here my above TV shut down. I bought it from a friend 3 years ago. I don't watch it much but it always worked well. A month or so ago it shut off for no reason. No error code for overheating and no red light. I did get a code 12 which I believe is the main power board. I turned it on again and worked for 10 minutes and shut off. I pulled it out and rearranged my room to provide lots of room around it for air flow. After a few weeks and as it sat in the middle of the room I connected it and turned it on. Fell asleep and it was still on 4 hours later. Tested it twice again and it worked fine for 2 + hours each time. Moved it back into place and it worked fine for the past week..and hour hear and there. Today t was on for an hour and it shut off like before. Turned it on and got only sound. Did the system reset and it worked for 10 minutes then turned off. Turned it on again and watched it. A few minutes later the picture dimmed and it shut off. The picture dimes each time before shutting off. No signs of overheating. I even had a fan blowing on the back side. I don't know if this is a site to ask for advice but I posted this in two other areas and got no responses. I searched but couldn't find any information. I can try to fix it but wonder if it is advisable because of the issues with this TV. When it works the picture is great. Anyone have any advise as to what could be wrong? Power board? Picture bulb? When these same symptoms happened before I checked the codes and got a code 12 which I believe is the power board. I could not find anyone who makes them. Can anyone give me direction before I give up on this. Thanks for any information.

Kevin

Last edited by Bugly20; 05-13-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: change of information
post #9135 of 9137 Old 05-14-2017, 07:16 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
^ Given that he has a L75-A91, he'd be better off posting in the appropriate thread; his TV has a laser rather than a lamp. It might make sense to start with the "Official Laservue Owner's thread" as it has recent activity.
post #9136 of 9137 Old Today, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where is the IR sensor on the 65738?
post #9137 of 9137 Old Today, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Pac View Post
Where is the IR sensor on the 65738?

behind the screen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page