2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (738/838 series) - Page 306 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #9151 of 9166 Old 08-02-2017, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So this TV saga continues....

Please bear with me. I'm super pissed.

The same day I picked this (which is going to be very quickly thrown into the street), tv up I ordered from Best Buy glasses that I was told would work. Xpand 102-RF. They did not. They then gave me X102-IR. Those did not work. I was then told to get Xpand 3DG-103 which are DLP link glasses. Those are not working.

They cannot make this any more difficult. I have never, ever, ever had so many problems with home theater electronics before in my life.

These stupid glasses are supposed to "blink" when it connects.

I did some googling and came across this:

"i have Mitsubishi WD-82738 tv that built in IR emitter. just bought 4 pairs of X103. I did try to sync with one blink, then 4blinks ...6blinks, but still not get it sync!:-("

So it has a built in emitter. So do I choose "DLP Link" or "IR Emitter"?

On the phone with Mitsubishi right now and they just told me that I do NOT need the emitter, it has to be set on DLP link (which the glasses are.... apparently)...

So here's another quandary... this goddamn glasses company is out of business or something because I cannot get any information other than Amazon reviews on how to program the glasses. Which is not working right either because they are supposed to "blink" until it detects a signal. Occums Razor tells me that maybe everyone is wrong and I do need the emitter, or the tv is a lemon and the guy I bought it from is wiping his ass with my money.

Sorry if this post is all over the place, but I have brain diarrhea over this.

So here's a list of problems, for recap:

Hazy/Foggy picture
Halo around white text/objects, esp near black objects the white bleeds into the black.
DLP 3D glasses not syncing.
Don't need an emitter.
Mits software is up to date, oddly enough
PS4 software is up to date
Onkyo TX-NR636 was double checked that it supported 3D... it does.

Bulb has been replaced.
Cleaning mirrors will commense on Sat.

Just left a message for a tv repair guy. So he can wipe his ass with more of my money to get everything to work.

TV was sold to me for $300
+ truck $150
+ tie downs, and replacement tie downs when the first pair broke, plus bungees plus tarp $100
+ tolls $25
+ 2 3D movies $60
+ One pair of glasses that did not work and Best Buy would not let me return them b/c I was at 15 days out and their return policy is 14 days $40
+ Replacement remote $40
+ replacement bulb $95
+ these glasses $50

This has now cost me $855

Bear with me while I go shoot myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9152 of 9166 Old 08-02-2017, 05:25 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 1328
^ Not to shoot you while you're down, but it probably wasn't a good idea to invest money in the 3D glasses and movies until you got the TV to the point where it's working well otherwise.

FWIW, I have a WD-82838 (same as the WD-72838, just bigger) and have a 3D IR emitter plugged into the back. I rarely bother watching anything in 3D though because the glasses just aren't even remotely comfortable to wear over regular glasses.

Have you been in contact with the guy who sold you the TV? Did you have a chance to test it when you picked it up?

Best of luck to you; I hope things work out well in the end.
post #9153 of 9166 Old 08-02-2017, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I am an original owner of a WD-73738 and 2nd owner of a WD60-738. I have both sets working perfectly in 3D. I opted for the outboard infrared emitter, because DLP link has some issues with the color. If you get the emitter you need Mitsubishi glasses or 1st generation Samsung glasses. DLP link is standard with your set and does not require an infrared outboard emitter, but requires that you choose the DLP link option in setup and that you have DLP Link glasses which are different from the ones that mate to the infrared emitter. There were some universal glasses out for a while from Dimensional Optics but I do not believe they are made anymore. dimensional optics does not support the Mits any longer, but may be able to steer you in the right direction. The protocol for IR changed a few times and the Mits is the oldest.

post #9154 of 9166 Old 08-03-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
^ Not to shoot you while you're down, but it probably wasn't a good idea to invest money in the 3D glasses and movies until you got the TV to the point where it's working well otherwise.

FWIW, I have a WD-82838 (same as the WD-72838, just bigger) and have a 3D IR emitter plugged into the back. I rarely bother watching anything in 3D though because the glasses just aren't even remotely comfortable to wear over regular glasses.

Have you been in contact with the guy who sold you the TV? Did you have a chance to test it when you picked it up?

Best of luck to you; I hope things work out well in the end.
Thank you. I have been in contact with the guy, when I demoed it at his house it worked fine. Something happened on the way back to my house that now requires me to clean the mirrors.

If I can get the mirrors cleaned and my picture issue resolved, would you be willing to sell me your emitter and glasses since you say you barely use them?
post #9155 of 9166 Old 08-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrister2 View Post
Hello,

I am an original owner of a WD-73738 and 2nd owner of a WD60-738. I have both sets working perfectly in 3D. I opted for the outboard infrared emitter, because DLP link has some issues with the color. If you get the emitter you need Mitsubishi glasses or 1st generation Samsung glasses. DLP link is standard with your set and does not require an infrared outboard emitter, but requires that you choose the DLP link option in setup and that you have DLP Link glasses which are different from the ones that mate to the infrared emitter. There were some universal glasses out for a while from Dimensional Optics but I do not believe they are made anymore. dimensional optics does not support the Mits any longer, but may be able to steer you in the right direction. The protocol for IR changed a few times and the Mits is the oldest.
The glasses that I have are considered universal but, supposedly, are DLP. The tv settings are all correct. Glasses will not connect.

This is a great example of getting conflicting answers...

Mits says I do NOT need an emitter. DLP glasses are fine.

I contacted Xpand, and they amazingly responded, saying that my model tv DOES require an emitter and that my glasses are IR not DLP..... IT SAYS DLP RIGHT ON THE BOX!!!!!!

Seriously, has anyone else had such an issue with this? I find it amazing that two companies do not know their products.
post #9156 of 9166 Old 08-03-2017, 09:30 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyecks View Post
Thank you. I have been in contact with the guy, when I demoed it at his house it worked fine. Something happened on the way back to my house that now requires me to clean the mirrors.
If it was working fine before moving it, then my suspicion would be something other than simply having to clean the mirrors.

Quote:
If I can get the mirrors cleaned and my picture issue resolved, would you be willing to sell me your emitter and glasses since you say you barely use them?
I don't have current plans to part with my emitter or glasses until I replace the TV with a 4K display.
Johnnyecks likes this.
post #9157 of 9166 Old 08-03-2017, 09:42 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
The glasses that I have are considered universal but, supposedly, are DLP. The tv settings are all correct. Glasses will not connect.

This is a great example of getting conflicting answers...

Mits says I do NOT need an emitter. DLP glasses are fine.

I contacted Xpand, and they amazingly responded, saying that my model tv DOES require an emitter and that my glasses are IR not DLP..... IT SAYS DLP RIGHT ON THE BOX!!!!!!

Seriously, has anyone else had such an issue with this? I find it amazing that two companies do not know their products.
Part of the problem is that you're working with a TV that has been discontinued for a while at this point and a company (Mitsubishi) that has abandoned the market. Even when Mitsubishi was still selling the DLP rear projection TV's, I doubt they had (m)any support reps who knew them really well, especially the 3D functionality. Now that they've been out of that market for several years, I'd be shocked if they have anyone left who has deep knowledge of these TV's.

Regarding Xpand, they most likely have a list of supported devices and stick to whatever is in that list. So it's quite likely that they have no idea that your TV does actually support DLP Link. Without seeing their response word for word, it's possible their wording was bad and they meant to say that you need IR glasses rather than trying to tell you that the ones you have in hand are IR.

When I bought my WD-82838 many moons ago, I'm pretty sure the general consensus was that the negatives of going with DLP Link glasses outweighed the convenience of not needing the IR emitter. I'm sure that's why I ended up with the emitter and the glasses that I have. It seems to me there were more IR glasses options too or the IR glasses at the time were relatively more comfortable to wear over regular glasses. I honestly don't remember for sure though.
post #9158 of 9166 Old 08-03-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Part of the problem is that you're working with a TV that has been discontinued for a while at this point and a company (Mitsubishi) that has abandoned the market. Even when Mitsubishi was still selling the DLP rear projection TV's, I doubt they had (m)any support reps who knew them really well, especially the 3D functionality. Now that they've been out of that market for several years, I'd be shocked if they have anyone left who has deep knowledge of these TV's.

Regarding Xpand, they most likely have a list of supported devices and stick to whatever is in that list. So it's quite likely that they have no idea that your TV does actually support DLP Link. Without seeing their response word for word, it's possible their wording was bad and they meant to say that you need IR glasses rather than trying to tell you that the ones you have in hand are IR.

When I bought my WD-82838 many moons ago, I'm pretty sure the general consensus was that the negatives of going with DLP Link glasses outweighed the convenience of not needing the IR emitter. I'm sure that's why I ended up with the emitter and the glasses that I have. It seems to me there were more IR glasses options too or the IR glasses at the time were relatively more comfortable to wear over regular glasses. I honestly don't remember for sure though.
This is so exhausting. I just want to watch tv... with a nice picture, and every now and then in 3D.

Thank you!
post #9159 of 9166 Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 AM

Indeed, the answers that you are getting are confusing. The need for an emitter is as much dependent on the glasses you are using, as the TV model. In the 738/838 series, if you are using DLP Link, you do NOT need an emitter. If you are using IR glasses, you DO need the emitter. If that is not confusing enough, I believe that the IR protocol was changed for the 2011 models so even if you have an emitter and IR glasses, those glasses must be compatible with the pre-2011 IR protocol. I seem to remember the original Mits glasses being compatible with both DLP link, as well as IR, but I am not sure. There are plenty of these glasses on ebay. The 2100 series of IR glasses is compatible, but the 3100 series is not, and they look alike. I will try to get more specific information from my sets of glasses. Regarding the IR emitter, you do not need a Mits emitter as long as the plug fits into the back of your TV, because I believe the TV itself controls the IR protocol.
post #9160 of 9166 Old 08-03-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrister2 View Post
Indeed, the answers that you are getting are confusing. The need for an emitter is as much dependent on the glasses you are using, as the TV model. In the 738/838 series, if you are using DLP Link, you do NOT need an emitter. If you are using IR glasses, you DO need the emitter. If that is not confusing enough, I believe that the IR protocol was changed for the 2011 models so even if you have an emitter and IR glasses, those glasses must be compatible with the pre-2011 IR protocol. I seem to remember the original Mits glasses being compatible with both DLP link, as well as IR, but I am not sure. There are plenty of these glasses on ebay. The 2100 series of IR glasses is compatible, but the 3100 series is not, and they look alike. I will try to get more specific information from my sets of glasses. Regarding the IR emitter, you do not need a Mits emitter as long as the plug fits into the back of your TV, because I believe the TV itself controls the IR protocol.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I saw this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-S...cAAMXQ56ZSA7uJ

If you could let me know of an emitter that will work, I would greatly GREATLY G R E A T L Y appreciate it!
post #9161 of 9166 Old 08-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Considering that you have never gotten the 3D to work yet, I would be careful of purchasing glasses that are "SSG-2100MG Compatible," but rather you should get the real thing:

Mitsubishi Active-Shutter 3D Glasses SSG-2100MG/ZA Compatible with Samsung TVs - I cannot post the link, but they are $52

The above glasses are identical to the Mitsubishis that Mits sold for our TV.

or:

Samsung SSG-P2100X/ZA 3D Glasses with Cloth Storage Bag - I cannot post the link, but they are $12.95

These had the Samsung logo, but were also identical to the Mits, and not just "compatible"

I believe any emitter with a stereo vesa plug, which is what is on the back of your TV will work. You can search for Mits 3D emitters on ebay and ask that question.

If you get it working, let me know.

post #9162 of 9166 Old 08-06-2017, 07:40 AM

Another update:

Took it apart, cleaned the mirrors, the lens, dlp chip, dusted the fans, cleaned the inside....

Hazy picture and halos are still there. Albeit, the picture does look somewhat better but now the halos are a bit worse.

So it isn't the lamp, or dirty mirrors/lenses...
What else could be causing the picture to be like this?

Or do I just have a lemon (this is what I am thinking)

What gets me so mad, is the amount of money I sank into this I could've bought that damn projector and screen that I wanted awhile back (prob my first post)
post #9163 of 9166 Old 08-06-2017, 11:08 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Another update:

Took it apart, cleaned the mirrors, the lens, dlp chip, dusted the fans, cleaned the inside....

Hazy picture and halos are still there. Albeit, the picture does look somewhat better but now the halos are a bit worse.

Given that you said that it was working fine when you had a demo at the seller's home before buying it, I suspect something got damaged when you moved it. If it were a lemon, it probably would have been difficult for the seller to give you a demo demonstrating the picture looking good.

Given the age of these TV's, I personally would be hesitant to throw more money at it by having a repair tech come out to look at it. You'd probably be looking at a minimum of a couple hundred bucks PLUS any parts. Speaking of parts, those might be difficult to come by at this point.
post #9164 of 9166 Old 08-06-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Another update:

What gets me so mad, is the amount of money I sank into this I could've bought that damn projector and screen that I wanted awhile back (prob my first post)

It's possible that the halo was there all the time, but you didn't have time for enough critical viewing to discover it when you bought the TV, Check this thread out: Mitsubishi 2007 (and possibility '06 & '08) lens cleaning procedure. No more halo's. The UV light from the lamp causes outgassing from the light tunnel plastic, which then slowly builds up as a greasy residue on the inside of the lens.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #9165 of 9166 Old 08-08-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
........personally would be hesitant to throw more money at it by having a repair tech come out to look at it. You'd probably be looking at a minimum of a couple hundred bucks PLUS any parts. Speaking of parts, those might be difficult to come by at this point.
I have def come to that conclusion as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
It's possible that the halo was there all the time, but you didn't have time for enough critical viewing to discover it when you bought the TV, Check this thread out: Mitsubishi 2007 (and possibility '06 & '08) lens cleaning procedure. No more halo's. The UV light from the lamp causes outgassing from the light tunnel plastic, which then slowly builds up as a greasy residue on the inside of the lens.

Thank you! I have read on those thread directions on how to get to the iris and lenses on the 57". I can't find directions for the 82", and that just makes me hesitant since mine was made in 2010 and the other was made in 06 or 07. Anyhow, going to attempt it this weekend. If it works, fantastic. If it does nothing, then oh well. I'll deal with it until I have enough packed away to get the proj and screen that I orig wanted to get. If it bricks it... fine. I'm over this.
post #9166 of 9166 Old 08-11-2017, 03:25 PM

Well that's the end of that. It's bricked.

I am not spending anymore time on this thing. It is going to the end of the driveway with "FREE" taped to it.

Disgusted. Completely disgusted. Close to $900 for... nothing but stress, stomach aches, and heartache.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me out. It's greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page