Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #991 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Apparently the politically correct approach is to help people setup their displays with as little regard to accuracy as possible. Since it is inappropriate to discuss display accuracy directly we should probably start posting display settings that are intentionally inaccurate or just happen to be what the poster likes.

So come and post up you display setting based strictly on how you like a display to look. We want to keep this as subjective as possible so please don't use any calibration tools to help with determining what is your preference. After all your eye alone is the best judge, so lets get those setting up here. We would also love to hear some nice descriptive language about how you much you love running the set the way you do.

This way we can totally democratize the thread and no one display is more "anything" than anyone elses.

In fact why don't we just rename this to the why I love my TV setting thread.. it could be open to Sony, Samsung etc.. of course you won't be allowed to mention the brand, model, or year as that would be elitist.

Just another blank signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Apparently the politically correct approach is to help people setup their displays with as little regard to accuracy as possible. Since it is inappropriate to discuss display accuracy directly we should probably start posting display settings that are intentionally inaccurate or just happen to be what the poster likes.

So come and post up you display setting based strictly on how you like a display to look. We want to keep this as subjective as possible so please don't use any calibration tools to help with determining what is your preference. After all your eye alone is the best judge, so lets get those setting up here. We would also love to hear some nice descriptive language about how you much you love running the set the way you do.

This way we can totally democratize the thread and no one display is more "anything" than anyone elses.

I certainly hope you aren't referring to me with this post as that is not what I was saying at all. All I was saying was that people have a choice as to whether they wish to calibrate or not. I was never saying that a non-calibrated tv was accurate in any way. It is not. Even sharing settings is completely inaccurate as every display of even the same make/model is different because of the manufacturing process and needs its own unique calibration. Even replacing the bulb in a DLP negates a calibration as each bulb is unique.
post #993 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

I certainly hope you aren't referring to me with this post as that is not what I was saying at all. All I was saying was that people have a choice as to whether they wish to calibrate or not. I was never saying that a non-calibrated tv was accurate in any way. It is not. Even sharing settings is completely inaccurate as every display of even the same make/model is different because of the manufacturing process and needs its own unique calibration. Even replacing the bulb in a DLP negates a calibration as each bulb is unique.

I wasn't advocating in any serious way people using other folks settings. I am trying to make a point about people who see calibration as dirty trick. Well the dirty trick is that Mits does not offer a much better out of the box calibrated setting. It can be done. The Samsung DLP I have had very accurate color out of the box. I never even considered bothering to take a meter to it.

I wasn't referring to you an I understand and appreciate preference vs reference. I just think if we who have some understanding of the value of calibration have become nazis, then I want help people feel more in control. We can have a dictatorship of the proletariat..

When I spend the time to offer insight based on the literally hundred of hours of time I have spent calibrating Mits DLPs to help folks get better utility out of their sets and someone thinks that is Nazism well then lets make this thread a kinder gentler place where we make sure every TV feels good about itself. Torch Mode FTW!

post #994 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCote View Post

yorknh/Hart

Do you guys have any pics of your setup with center speaker and AVR in place?

My wife took this while I was still setting up, which I'm still not done with because I need to get some better sized cables so I don't have such a horrible mess in the back. Anyway, not the best picture, but it gives you an idea. I should mention that mine is a 73" not an 82"

post #995 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I wasn't advocating in any serious way people using other folks settings. I am trying to make a point about people who see calibration as dirty trick. Well the dirty trick is that Mits does not offer a much better out of the box calibrated setting. It can be done. The Samsung DLP I have had very accurate color out of the box. I never even considered bothering to take a meter to it.

I wasn't referring to you an I understand and appreciate preference vs reference. I just think if we who have some understanding of the value of calibration have become nazis, then I want help people feel more in control. We can have a dictatorship of the proletariat..

When I spend the time to offer insight based on the literally hundred of hours of time I have spent calibrating Mits DLPs to help folks get better utility out of their sets and someone thinks that is Nazism well then lets make this thread a kinder gentler place where we make sure every TV feels good about itself. Torch Mode FTW!

Rock on! And I know what you mean, but to be honest, with bulbs, it's really a crap shoot. I honestly had one bulb that I bought as a replacement that threw my grays WAY off and the color points too if you can believe that. But then after a year with that bulb I bought another and this one was perfect. Color points much, much better, grays more linear. So alot of it could be Phillips and not Mits.
post #996 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorknh View Post

My wife took this while I was still setting up, which I'm still not done with because I need to get some better sized cables so I don't have such a horrible mess in the back. Anyway, not the best picture, but it gives you an idea. I should mention that mine is a 73" not an 82"

Very nice! You're making me salivate in anticipation of my new 73" Mits!!! I talked to Paul's today and supposedly it'll be shipped out today.
post #997 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks to this thread and me begging the wife, I took advantage of the Paulstv.com error or whatever it is and ordered the 73737 and so far as I can tell, what they're going to send me is indeed the 73738. It hasn't actually shipped yet, but is in order fullfillment and is listed on my invoice as a 73738, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :-)

Once I get it set up, I'll do an initial calibration and post the numbers here. I'll do one again once the bulb breaks in too of course.

Yes, that's the experience I had when ordering, and I received the 738. I don't think they have any 737s in stock and are subbing the 738 automatically rather than lose the sale. Sure makes one curious how much markup there is in these sets that a vendor is so willing to sell them at practically 50% of list price.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #998 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rock on! And I know what you mean, but to be honest, with bulbs, it's really a crap shoot. I honestly had one bulb that I bought as a replacement that threw my grays WAY off and the color points too if you can believe that. But then after a year with that bulb I bought another and this one was perfect. Color points much, much better, grays more linear. So alot of it could be Phillips and not Mits.

I have been fighting a moving grayscale for months. Perhaps it is the lamp, it has been high on my suspsicious list. Mits service is going to come and do something I don't kow what. Of course when the lamp misbehaves it could be the ballast, or the lamp power supply. We will see what parts they replace. When they are done I will get a new lamp installed if they don't replace the original during the service call.

post #999 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshane View Post

Yes, that's the experience I had when ordering, and I received the 738. I don't think they have any 737s in stock and are subbing the 738 automatically rather than lose the sale. Sure makes one curious how much markup there is in these sets that a vendor is so willing to sell them at practically 50% of list price.

Yeah, it's really hard to tell. I know that my invoice immediately showed it to be a 738 and not a 737 as soon as I ordered it. It almost looks like the internet group has it wrong in the system, but I really don't care as I got a new 73738 coming for over $1000 less than I can get it anywhere locally! BAM!!!
post #1000 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 02:15 PM

Anyone have first hand experiences with Electronics Expo?

The reviews just aren't that great when searching. They have a great price on the 82838 using the promotion code, but that little voice in the back of my head is telling me to steer clear.
post #1001 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMitsDLP View Post

I am shopping around also, and I come across a good deal for the 73838 and 73738, but the company do not have the TVs in stock yet. I think they are one of the last stores to get the TVs, but when they do...the prices is unbelievable. You can literally get the TVs for $1,699.99 (yes, the price is correct..it is not a typo) depending and how much taxes your state charges. They looking to get the 82" too, which will be at a reasonable price also.

The great thing about this is that this company has stores in every state. I don't want to say the company..then I might luck out, but I know if they get the TVs in stock I'm pulling the trigger, because I seriously doubt they will be any cheaper at any electronics chain stores or online, on Black Friday or Christmas.

Just, look beyond the big stores...and think about the corners stores that you have in your community that offer goods to the public. Mitsubishi clearly states on their websites that prices are set at each stores, so the bull that I'm getting from "The Big Screen Store" about starting point is the MSRP is just that...bullcrap! Every store buy the TVs from Mitsubishi at a reasonable price, but some companies are just more greedy than others...and try to milk the public for everything they can get.

Can you be any more specific? Even if you have to wait until you (and friends) buy these sets first please let everyone know where we can find these great deals? Obviously you've really created some interest with the "stores in every state" claim??? wow???
post #1002 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardmountain View Post

Anyone have first hand experiences with Electronics Expo?

The reviews just aren't that great when searching. They have a great price on the 82838 using the promotion code, but that little voice in the back of my head is telling me to steer clear.

I ordered the 82738 from them. I called in to schedule the delivery for 09/20/2010 and the CS woman was extremely polite and helpful, although it was the shipping company and not Electronics Expo. We'll see about the condition of the item when it's delivered next Mon.
post #1003 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 PM

I went with the WD-82738 and I'm pretty happy with it. One thing that is bugging me is that even at 15+ on the volume I can still hear the fan. I'm not sure if this was from day 1 as I was distracted by it's size and picture. Does anyone notice what seems to be a loud fan?

edit - Also the bulb is set to standard, not bright.
post #1004 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 06:27 PM

Boy, not sure what the heck I did. Everything worked fine on our 73738 for a few days then tonight it gave us the DVI/HDCP alert on the cable box (on HDMI1). After trying a few things I set up a call with Comcast, but now it doesn't recognize the Blu-ray on HDMI2 either, so I'm afraid it's something to do with the TV, not the cable box.

Of course, Mitsubishi tech support isn't open.

I have pretty old HDMI cables. Not sure if that has something to do with it, but they worked for a few days with no problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
post #1005 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable Dave View Post

Boy, not sure what the heck I did. Everything worked fine on our 73738 for a few days then tonight it gave us the DVI/HDCP alert on the cable box (on HDMI1). After trying a few things I set up a call with Comcast, but now it doesn't recognize the Blu-ray on HDMI2 either, so I'm afraid it's something to do with the TV, not the cable box.

Of course, Mitsubishi tech support isn't open.

I have pretty old HDMI cables. Not sure if that has something to do with it, but they worked for a few days with no problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Try unplugging it for a few minutes.
post #1006 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Try unplugging it for a few minutes.

Thanks Curtis, that took care of it. Is there anything I did to cause that (so I can avoid it in the future)?
post #1007 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post

They may prefer it, but they'd be wrong.

What do you know? Who made you the "final word" on anything?
I provided a service for those who I know would appreciate a little help, and all you can do is criticize. Do your own calibration, then go away!

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

post #1008 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumi_9 View Post

Julian11,
just relax....we are not talking about preferences here. We are talking about calibrating the picture with some standard. Jasemen published his settings after calibration. The values for brightness and contrast are too high...something is not right here. We are not debading a preference, we are debating the results of the calibration process. Capisci?

Who says you know anything either? Go away!

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

post #1009 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

Jaseman,
do not be a baby....something is seriously wrong with your set or your calibration equipment.
post #1010 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"preferences here. We are talking about calibrating the picture with some standard."

So if the calibration standard looks like crap then its ok?

Of course we're talking about preferences. If not the discussion is absurd.

Quick shot of my 65 inch.
LL

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #1011 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

"preferences here. We are talking about calibrating the picture with some standard."

So if the calibration standard looks like crap then its ok?

Of course we're talking about preferences. If not the discussion is absurd.

Quick shot of my 65 inch.

Nice shot...including the framing theater lights.

taichi4
post #1012 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM

New to DLPs and Mitsubishi. Bought my first unit last weekend. After one week, started getting blinking leds on front panel and no picture (six red leds, one yellow). Called place of purchase and they delivered another. The original was hooked up through a surge suppressor, but it was several years old. Just to be safe, I purchased a new suppressor with line conditioning. I have all my devices hooked into this new suppressor, including the cable. After one day, the second TV is doing the same thing. I have tried both HDMI and component video for video input to the TV and am running audio through an Amp. I can see one defective TV, but is my luck that bad or is something in my home frying the TVs? I had my cable box replaced after the second TV started displaying the blinking leds. I have a service guy coming out tomorrow, but am not holding my breath. My previous tV was hooked up the same way and lasted over eight years. Any comments or suggestions?
post #1013 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 08:24 PM

Hmmm, on my 73638 pushing the guide button does nothing. If I press the info button, it shows the current channel and (usually) the name of the show. However, the guide button does absolutely nothing (other than light up the power button on the remote).

Any ideas what is wrong? I am assuming some sort of full screen guide should show up. I am hooked up to basic Time Warner cable (get HD channels for the networks). The manual doesn't seem to mention anything about the guide button.

Thanks,
Frank
post #1014 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfilips View Post

Hmmm, on my 73638 pushing the guide button does nothing. If I press the info button, it shows the current channel and (usually) the name of the show. However, the guide button does absolutely nothing (other than light up the power button on the remote).

Any ideas what is wrong? I am assuming some sort of full screen guide should show up. I am hooked up to basic Time Warner cable (get HD channels for the networks). The manual doesn't seem to mention anything about the guide button.

Thanks,
Frank

My guide button works once I select cab/sat on the remote. Once pressed after that, it brings up the guide for my cable service (channels, etc). If I press it when "TV" is selected, nothing happens.
post #1015 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiujitsumaniac View Post

My guide button works once I select cab/sat on the remote. Once pressed after that, it brings up the guide for my cable service (channels, etc). If I press it when "TV" is selected, nothing happens.

Not sure what model you have, but on the 73638 remote, there is no dedicated cab/sat or TV button. There is only the input button to cycle through the inputs.
post #1016 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usma92 View Post

New to DLPs and Mitsubishi. Bought my first unit last weekend. After one week, started getting blinking leds on front panel and no picture (six red leds, one yellow). Called place of purchase and they delivered another. The original was hooked up through a surge suppressor, but it was several years old. Just to be safe, I purchased a new suppressor with line conditioning. I have all my devices hooked into this new suppressor, including the cable. After one day, the second TV is doing the same thing. I have tried both HDMI and component video for video input to the TV and am running audio through an Amp. I can see one defective TV, but is my luck that bad or is something in my home frying the TVs? I had my cable box replaced after the second TV started displaying the blinking leds. I have a service guy coming out tomorrow, but am not holding my breath. My previous tV was hooked up the same way and lasted over eight years. Any comments or suggestions?

Wow - no idea if you replaced the surge suppressor already. Maybe try a large battery backup with surge protector (one made for continuous/constant power supply - like the APC Back-UPS RS 1500 LCD UPS)? I have had my 65838 one week running through the APC 750, probably have 35 hours of time on it, no issues. I actually run 2 of these units - one for my TV stand alone, and one for all other components. BTW - I am no expert, this is just what I went with. I would have went with the 1500 unit if i could have afforded it at the time.
post #1017 of 8859 Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfilips View Post

Not sure what model you have, but on the 73638 remote, there is no dedicated cab/sat or TV button. There is only the input button to cycle through the inputs.

I have the 65838. Didn't know they had different remotes.
post #1018 of 8859 Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

Jaseman, disregard those know it alls and please post any new settings you have done. There are people on this board that appreciate you sharing your results. I can even bet most of them don't have the new 2010 Mitsubishi 738 and 838 sets to notice the improvement Mitsubishi made in increasing the effect of brightness of the lamps. I saw that with the naked eye, and I think that guy then check yours with a meter..and the results states the same..LOL. Even, a person such as me that don't know foot about Y and gamma calibration, knows that if the lamp is giving off improve brightness than previous models, then starting point in brightness and contrast is going to be different/adjusted. So, what will be the more logical results? The final brightness and contrast settings will be more than the previous models.

Yeah, I didn't need to know anything or have any calibration experience, or equipment to know that. Just keep posting your settings, because there are folks who appreciate hard work.
post #1019 of 8859 Old 09-15-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

Can you be any more specific? Even if you have to wait until you (and friends) buy these sets first please let everyone know where we can find these great deals? Obviously you've really created some interest with the "stores in every state" claim??? wow???

Ordo...I want to tell name, but I just have a bad feeling that, I might not be able to get that deal. But, I'll point you to some of the stores listed as a dealer on Mitsubishi website. Utilize that information and make calls to all of them and ask about the 2010 model DLP mitsubishi models they have or will have for sale soon. That's what I did, and was very happy to find out about their deals on the 738 and 838 models, believe me, you might can get the top of the line 838 for a sick price

Even a another poster got a 738 for less than or about 50% of the SRP, so it can be debated that...some stores has ridiculous mark ups. Some stores will just cut to the chase and price the TV where they know they making a good profit and giving the public a great price that is way less than SRP.
post #1020 of 8859 Old 09-15-2010, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
hi i have a mits 73838 tv when i go to watch a 3d bluray movie and put on 3d in the menu the picture gets dark. i watched monster house last night and the 3d was great but the movie looked dark unlike ther disney demo disc. i tried making it it brighter in thr settings but that just washed out the colors. also i am using the mits glasses and when i check ir emitter in menu i get reddish streahs on the movie so i cheked dlp link in menu and red went away picture was perfect
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page