2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (738/838 series) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 8811 Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was at Best Buy (Magnolia) over the week-end and they had Avatar playing on an "open box" 82738. I really wanted to buy the TV, but there was something wrong with how things in the movie looked on the screen- all I can describe it as looking digital. It really didn't look all that good. They had a bunch of 50" LCDs and Plasmas close to it and they looked better, but not perfect. I figure that smaller screens look better simply because they were smaller. I was trying to figure out exactly what was wrong when they powered down their video distribution system.

I watched the BRD with my front projector and thought it looked spectacular. So my question is... does it seem to you that the problem was just Best Buy's video distribution sysem, was the Mits TV somehow screwed up (thus the reason for the "open box"), or is this a common problem with this type of TV.

One thing of interest, the 82" RPTV did not look less bright than the Plasmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 8811 Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I was at Best Buy (Magnolia) over the week-end and they had Avatar playing on an "open box" 82738. I really wanted to buy the TV, but there was something wrong with how things in the movie looked on the screen- all I can describe it as looking digital. It really didn't look all that good. They had a bunch of 50" LCDs and Plasmas close to it and they looked better, but not perfect. I figure that smaller screens look better simply because they were smaller. I was trying to figure out exactly what was wrong when they powered down their video distribution system.

I watched the BRD with my front projector and thought it looked spectacular. So my question is... does it seem to you that the problem was just Best Buy's video distribution sysem, was the Mits TV somehow screwed up (thus the reason for the "open box"), or is this a common problem with this type of TV.

One thing of interest, the 82" RPTV did not look less bright than the Plasmas.

First is it is not ast bright as some plasmas and no plasma that any sane person can afford is 80 plus inches. You may have been too close or your viewing angle was wrong. Vertical viewing angle is fairly narrow, especially up close.

There is a setting on the lamp, if is set to the default energy star mode it does not make enough light untless the room is pretty dark. Avatar looks fabulous on my set. I don't know why you would be looking for an 82" rear projector if you have a front projector, they seem kind of redundant.

As for looking digital that is not a characteristic of DLP. DLP is the most film like of the TV sets in its image. Perhaps they had all picture enhancement modes on. They don't do anything positive that I can find. I pretty much have them all off except I do run sharpness at 10. The Best Buys I have seen use component.. yeah it is crappy.

Just another blank signature.
post #183 of 8811 Old 07-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Purchased the 73738 yesterday and will take delivery of the TV on 7/25. Can't wait to watch all my movies on it to get that movie theater feel. Now just have to wait for the 3D emitter and glasses.
post #184 of 8811 Old 07-21-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

... I don't know why you would be looking for an 82" rear projector if you have a front projector, they seem kind of redundant...

I'm trying to decide between replacing a 720p projector with something like this or just getting a JVC RS-25. The "Open Box" model was $2000, so it appealed to my cheap nature.

I worded my last comment badly. I was surprised that the 82" Mits held its own against 50" plasma TVs. It looked pleasingly bright.
post #185 of 8811 Old 07-21-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I'm trying to decide between replacing a 720p projector with something like this or just getting a JVC RS-25. The "Open Box" model was $2000, so it appealed to my cheap nature.

I worded my last comment badly. I was surprised that the 82" Mits held its own against 50" plasma TVs. It looked pleasingly bright.

If you have been viewing a projector then a darkened room should not be a propblem for you. These 82" sets are great in darkened rooms. Where they come up short is in bright room. If they were brighter I would recommend them to anyone who has the room. But they can't compete with LCDs in high ambient lighting. In the right light at the right ditance they are superb. Mine is calibrated so I gave up even more light to get the color as accurate as I could make it. I bought a DVDO DUO to send it the best signal possible and to compliment the built in color management with a full blown CMS. I used the 837 controls and the DUO controls both when calibrating.

Just another blank signature.
post #186 of 8811 Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 PM

just ordered 73738, selling my mits 65 inch rear projection hdtv. was leaning toward a 55 inch lcd. but dlp with wireless and 3D big fan of netflix and larger screen was too much to pass up. saw a demo of 73738 at fry's in downers grove illinois. the picture quality of last year's 737/787 was fantastic. but the new 738/838 picture quality improved, will receive delivery on 7/30/ 2010. will watch forum for info so i can get best performance from 73 incher
post #187 of 8811 Old 07-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

I didn't think the Mitsubishi came with netflix. All I saw in the demo room was the app "VUDU".
post #188 of 8811 Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyaj View Post

Anyone know what the latest firmware is for the xx738 series? I noticed some issues with the StreamTV and wonder if it's been updated already. I'll call Mitsubishi on Monday...but Just curious

I contacted MDEA about the future update for full blueray 3d standards and this was the response.

Thank you for contacting Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc. We are pleased to be able to assist our customers via our website. Here is the information that you have requested:

The update will be available later this year...We will also post information on our website with the details when it becomes available.

Regards
MDEA

I would guess this is going to be the first firmware update that they will announce since it will add so much more to the set. I can only hope the update comes aroudn about the same time my PS3 is updated =p
post #189 of 8811 Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am considering a 73738. I am thinking I want to be ready for any 3D sports (NFL On ESPN) that might be coming. So if I bought one today, is there the ability to watch 3D like what ESPN 3D and other stuff that comcast might carry? Are there glasses available today?
post #190 of 8811 Old 07-22-2010, 10:58 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post

I am considering a 73738. I am thinking I want to be ready for any 3D sports (NFL On ESPN) that might be coming. So if I bought one today, is there the ability to watch 3D like what ESPN 3D and other stuff that comcast might carry? Are there glasses available today?

I wanted to add to your question by asking if anyone knows where I can demo a 3d setup, before taking the plunge.
post #191 of 8811 Old 07-22-2010, 11:57 AM

Its here! I just saw a wd-65838 in the wild.
My first impressions:
The picture looks very much the same as last years model. The menu system is much improved, yea! and the remote is better than last years, but still not the same as a few years ago, I guess they figure everybody is going to a universal remote so why put much effort into a remote. What blew me away was the sound bar!!!! The sound was imersive to say the least, and this TV had a klipsch sub attached from the sub-out on the back of the set. I was impressed that the soundbar and a sub could make me almost feel like I was listening to a 5.1 surround system. Not bad, not bad at all, I can see alot of people setting up there new diamond with a sub and calling it good. One last thing, the price...holly crap I could not believe the price they offered to sell one of these babies for! I can not repeat the price, but lets just say that I could buy harmony 1 remote and still be no where near the advertised price, let alone full retail which is still not a bad price!
post #192 of 8811 Old 07-22-2010, 12:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxheat View Post

My first impressions:
The picture looks very much the same as last years model. The menu system is much improved, yea! and the remote is better than last years, but still not the same as a few years ago, I guess they figure everybody is going to a universal remote so why put much effort into a remote. What blew me away was the sound bar!!!! The sound was emersive to say the least, and this TV had a klipsch sub attached from the sub-out on the back of the set. I was impressed that the soundbar and a sub could make me almost feel like I was listening to a 5.1 surround system. Not bad, not bad at all, I can see alot of people setting up there new diamond with a sub and calling it good. One last thing, the price...holly crap I could not believe the price they offered to sell one of these babies for! I can not repeat the price, but lets just say that I could buy harmony 1 remote and still be no where near the advertised price, let alone full retail which is still not a bad price!

I just need to get this divorce behind me and...bada boom bada bang done deal!

A harmony one remote isn't too expensive so I would imagine you would be quite far from the advertised price?
post #193 of 8811 Old 07-22-2010, 01:49 PM

I ran through the AVS HD 709 basic calibration (thanks for the link Kipperman) last night on my 65738, and I like the overall picture much better. Has anyone had this model professionally calibrated yet? Any thoughts if you have? I'm contemplating buying a meter (probably the i1 LT) and trying it myself.
post #194 of 8811 Old 07-22-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:

My first impressions:
The picture looks very much the same as last years model. The menu system is much improved, yea! and the remote is better than last years, but still not the same as a few years ago, I guess they figure everybody is going to a universal remote so why put much effort into a remote. What blew me away was the sound bar!!!! The sound was emersive to say the least, and this TV had a klipsch sub attached from the sub-out on the back of the set. I was impressed that the soundbar and a sub could make me almost feel like I was listening to a 5.1 surround system. Not bad, not bad at all, I can see alot of people setting up there new diamond with a sub and calling it good. One last thing, the price...holly crap I could not believe the price they offered to sell one of these babies for! I can not repeat the price, but lets just say that I could buy harmony 1 remote and still be no where near the advertised price, let alone full retail which is still not a bad price!

I just need to get this divorce behind me and...bada boom bada bang done deal!

I just got off the phone with Mitsu, as they are shipping my new 65838 as soon as they are available. Directly from them, they have not finished production yet. No 65", no 73" no 82". Nothing has been made or shipped yet. Which may be the reason you were offered such a price that you "can not repeat here". Why is that, btw ? Did the salesman tell you not to tell anyone ? What salesman doesn't want you and ALL your friends to buy a tv from him ? If it's a legitamite deal, he should be able to reproduce it all day long.
Before you buy that TV or believe the salesman's BS, you should check the mnfr tag yourself. I highly doubt it is really 838 series.

However, aside from my general mistrust of any and all salesmen, I like your review of the immersive sound bar. I was really hoping that was going to be as good as Mitsu claims. And I was planning on buying just a good quality sub as you describe. Is it possible the salesman was showing you the LCD 164 series ? That too has the 16 speaker immersive sound system.

Just thought of this.... Maybe it was a demo tv from one of the electronics shows ? Now you got me really curious. See if you can take some pics and post them....
post #195 of 8811 Old 07-22-2010, 03:50 PM

Is there any way to control these TVs that isn't IR? I know the 837s had RS-232 control, but it looks like the 838s dropped them in favor of HDMI-CEC.
post #196 of 8811 Old 07-23-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaamz777 View Post

LOL, how many post's by mit's owners is it going to take to bash into your skull that lag isn't an issue.

1 with relatively scientific data. Anyone have a chance to run a real input lag test yet? In my practice, I've found the Rockband 2 auto-calibration using the light sensor on the guitar is +/- 5ms, so that data could be considered accurate.

If I were Wilford Brimley, I'd like oatmeal that much too.
post #197 of 8811 Old 07-23-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpert2 View Post

I just got off the phone with Mitsu, as they are shipping my new 65838 as soon as they are available. Directly from them, they have not finished production yet. No 65", no 73" no 82". Nothing has been made or shipped yet. Which may be the reason you were offered such a price that you "can not repeat here". Why is that, btw ? Did the salesman tell you not to tell anyone ? What salesman doesn't want you and ALL your friends to buy a tv from him ? If it's a legitamite deal, he should be able to reproduce it all day long.
Before you buy that TV or believe the salesman's BS, you should check the mnfr tag yourself. I highly doubt it is really 838 series.

However, aside from my general mistrust of any and all salesmen, I like your review of the immersive sound bar. I was really hoping that was going to be as good as Mitsu claims. And I was planning on buying just a good quality sub as you describe. Is it possible the salesman was showing you the LCD 164 series ? That too has the 16 speaker immersive sound system.

Just thought of this.... Maybe it was a demo tv from one of the electronics shows ? Now you got me really curious. See if you can take some pics and post them....

I just called my local source to confirm that yes they are shipping the new diamonds. They got 5 73838 today and they are all sold and will be getting in 2 65838 tonight or Monday which he said are available. I did not ask about the 82" model sorry. One last thing, I asked about the price and he said that he would honor the price he gave me yesterday and would beat any price that I could find.

Let the fun begin.
post #198 of 8811 Old 07-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

phxheat,
I think you are making things up....
post #199 of 8811 Old 07-23-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumi_9 View Post

phxheat,
I think you are making things up....

shumi, if you are in phoenix you should be able to verify my info. Just look to the east for the answer.
post #200 of 8811 Old 07-23-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:

I just called my local source to confirm that yes they are shipping the new diamonds. They got 5 73838 today and they are all sold and will be getting in 2 65838 tonight or Monday which he said are available. I did not ask about the 82" model sorry. One last thing, I asked about the price and he said that he would honor the price he gave me yesterday and would beat any price that I could find.

Let the fun begin.

Ok, what is the name of the store and phone number. I will call to confirm, then with that info, blast my rep. at Mitsu. I can't wait for this TV and if they are sending them out to stores, then they should be sending one to me. Better, I'll see if they'll let me pick it up locally.
So, can you post the store + phone ? thanks.
post #201 of 8811 Old 07-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, what is the name of the store and phone number. I will call to confirm, then with that info, blast my rep. at Mitsu. I can't wait for this TV and if they are sending them out to stores, then they should be sending one to me. Better, I'll see if they'll let me pick it up locally.
So, can you post the store + phone ? thanks.

He will not.....
post #202 of 8811 Old 07-24-2010, 12:04 PM

Having a 73838 delivered this afternoon. Can I post where I bought it or is that a forum violation?
post #203 of 8811 Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy1969 View Post

Having a 73838 delivered this afternoon. Can I post where I bought it or is that a forum violation?

No. No violation at all. We are all here to share as much as we can. I was kind of calling phxheat's bluff, but if you are second person to confirm it, then perhaps it is true. I did look on line and some place called "walt's" does list that it is "in stock", while everyone else still say's "pre-order". It is possible that they are on their way. So, where did you order yours ?
And most importantly, since you are first on the board to have the 838 series, you're gonna have to let us know how it is. Have fun today playing, but let me know where you got it. thanks.
post #204 of 8811 Old 07-24-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:

No. No violation at all. We are all here to share as much as we can. I was kind of calling phxheat's bluff, but if you are second person to confirm it, then perhaps it is true. I did look on line and some place called "walt's" does list that it is "in stock", while everyone else still say's "pre-order". It is possible that they are on their way. So, where did you order yours ?
And most importantly, since you are first on the board to have the 838 series, you're gonna have to let us know how it is. Have fun today playing, but let me know where you got it. thanks.

Got it from Mr. TV and Video in Grand Terrace California. He also has the 82838 in stock as well. They arrived yesterday. Oh he also has the 3d kits in stock too.
post #205 of 8811 Old 07-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

They will be in Phoenix on Wednsday at all of the Ultimate Electronics stores. 838s are already in Denver at most Ultimate Electronics stores.
post #206 of 8811 Old 07-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My local Best Buy had a 73738 on display and an 82738 brand new in the box in the back. They are selling the 82" for $2999. I was stunned at the price. Almost bought it.

Like most, I can't stand the blue shirts, but it is hard to argue with that price.

Peace,

DM
post #207 of 8811 Old 07-25-2010, 02:11 AM

Has anyone used the wireless dongle and can you use any wireless adapter for instead of the one mits suggest?
post #208 of 8811 Old 07-25-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy1969 View Post

Got it from Mr. TV and Video in Grand Terrace California. He also has the 82838 in stock as well. They arrived yesterday. Oh he also has the 3d kits in stock too.

Whoa, I'm like 10 minutes away from tha place. Guess I'm going to have to stop by and check out MY new 82838 !
post #209 of 8811 Old 07-25-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackagent View Post

Has anyone used the wireless dongle and can you use any wireless adapter for instead of the one mits suggest?

I don't think you can. I tried a Belkin one I had lying around, and it did not work.
post #210 of 8811 Old 07-25-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 View Post

I didn't think the Mitsubishi came with netflix. All I saw in the demo room was the app "VUDU".

No Netflix that I can find. It's Vudu for movies along with Facebook, Pandora, Twitter, Flickr, and bunches of other apps you'll probably never use.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page