1Likes

post #211 of 8811 Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead11 View Post

I don't think you can. I tried a Belkin one I had lying around, and it did not work.

Netgear WNDA3100 reportedly will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 8811 Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:

No Netflix that I can find. It's Vudu for movies along with Facebook, Pandora, Twitter, Flickr, and bunches of other apps you'll probably never use.

Do you have playstation 3 ? You can do netflix through the PS3. If you don't have it yet, now might be a good time. Not only is it a fantastic blu-ray player, soon Sony will have a software update that will make it a 3D player as well. It is the perfect tool for our tv's. Oh yeah, it also plays games too !!
post #213 of 8811 Old 07-25-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nofears View Post

Whoa, I'm like 10 minutes away from tha place. Guess I'm going to have to stop by and check out MY new 82838 !

They have really great service and pricing. The owner beat the price on amazon for the 73838 and he gave me 1/2 off retail for the 3d starter kit. I purchased the tv saturday morning and they delivered and set it up by 3:00 the same day.

Picture quality on the 73838 is very good right out of the box. Much better picture than my 2 1/2 year old 73 mits. I'll get it calibrated in a couple of weeks once the bulb burns in a bit. The 3d is very good (using Direct TV as the source). The internet VUDU app works well. I previewed Avatar in 1080p through VUDU and the picture was amazing.
post #214 of 8811 Old 07-25-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpert2 View Post

Do you have playstation 3 ? You can do netflix through the PS3. If you don't have it yet, now might be a good time. Not only is it a fantastic blu-ray player, soon Sony will have a software update that will make it a 3D player as well. It is the perfect tool for our tv's. Oh yeah, it also plays games too !!

I do Netflix on an Xbox. I was just clarifying for the previous poster what was available via internet.
I am, however, in the market for a 3d Blu Ray player. I haven't decided whether to splurge for the Panasonic, use my PC with PowerDVD, or get a non-checkerboard option with an adaptor. Considering how little 3d content there is, I have time to decide. It would be nice if Mitsubishi would release the firmware upgrade for 3d.
post #215 of 8811 Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:

I do Netflix on an Xbox. I was just clarifying for the previous poster what was available via internet.
I am, however, in the market for a 3d Blu Ray player. I haven't decided whether to splurge for the Panasonic, use my PC with PowerDVD, or get a non-checkerboard option with an adaptor. Considering how little 3d content there is, I have time to decide. It would be nice if Mitsubishi would release the firmware upgrade for 3d.

Agreed & agreed. No need to jump in just yet since there is so little content and the glasses/converters have got to come down in price. For my family of 6, that would be pretty expensive to have a 3D family movie night at this point. Glasses alone could cost me 2/3 the price of my tv. I'll give it some time.
It would be nice, though, if Mitsu brought out the upgrade sooner than later. But I think they've had a hard enough time just getting these tv's out. Maybe now they can concentrate on updates.
post #216 of 8811 Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No Netflix that I can find. It's Vudu for movies along with Facebook, Pandora, Twitter, Flickr, and bunches of other apps you'll probably never use.

Darn, hoping that wasn't the case. I would love it if this TV had Netflix capability. Guess I'll keep using my HTPC for that pupose.
post #217 of 8811 Old 07-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Got my 73738 setup last night (at least enough to watch a movie). All I can say is wow. The picture was amazing and a little too bright, but I turned it down to Natural for the time being until I go through the menus properly. My friends were amazed at the picture and the blluray movie I watched was great looking. Best purchase I have ever made, now bring on the 3D!!!
post #218 of 8811 Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 AM

Liked: 11
Any issues with geometry? I use my tv as a computer monitor and returned a Mits a couple of years ago do to the bowed/curved lines. I attempted to fix it in the service menu but couldn't get it right.
post #219 of 8811 Old 07-26-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebrock View Post

Any issues with geometry? I use my tv as a computer monitor and returned a Mits a couple of years ago do to the bowed/curved lines. I attempted to fix it in the service menu but couldn't get it right.

The top of my 638 series I just got has some geometry issues. The image in the screen is slightly off centered. Since I have to lower the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1818x1018 to fit the image on the display. This allows the taskbar to be sceen and fully on screen, but since I can only expand both the top and bottom vertically at the same time, I can not get the image to span the entire screen. I have a black unused screen area at the top that caries from 1/8th of an inch to 1/4th of an inch. The service menu code is not the same as the 738 series so I cannot confirm if this is fixable via geometry adjustments or not? Considering returning I think I only have another day to decide, but no one seems to know the new service menu code, and mitsu will not tell it to me, so I may have to return the TV to the Tiger Direct and eventually Mitsu's hiding of information will just mean another TV to refurbish.
post #220 of 8811 Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post

The top of my 638 series I just got has some geometry issues. The image in the screen is slightly off centered. Since I have to lower the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1818x1018 to fit the image on the display. This allows the taskbar to be sceen and fully on screen, but since I can only expand both the top and bottom vertically at the same time, I can not get the image to span the entire screen. I have a black unused screen area at the top that caries from 1/8th of an inch to 1/4th of an inch. The service menu code is not the same as the 738 series so I cannot confirm if this is fixable via geometry adjustments or not? Considering returning I think I only have another day to decide, but no one seems to know the new service menu code, and mitsu will not tell it to me, so I may have to return the TV to the Tiger Direct and eventually Mitsu's hiding of information will just mean another TV to refurbish.

You are talking about 1/8th on one side and 1/4 on the other. So really we are talking about the set being off 1/8" overall across the 56"..... wow you need to find a non-projection technology......... it sounds like you really are an LCD kind of guy.

Just another blank signature.
post #221 of 8811 Old 07-27-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

You are talking about 1/8th on one side and 1/4 on the other. So really we are talking about the set being off 1/8" overall across the 56"..... wow you need to find a non-projection technology......... it sounds like you really are an LCD kind of guy.

Actually an 1/8" over 56" sounds kind of crappy to me. We're talking about being able to draw a straight horizontal line with light. My CRT RPTV can do it, why can't a DLP set manage it?
post #222 of 8811 Old 07-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

i may be offered one of these sets as a replacement for my defective Sony SXRD. A few questions would help me decide to take this set or not.

What is the life expectancy of the bulb in the sets, or does the tv use LED as a light source?

How noticeable is the Silk Screen Effect?

Is there still noticeable motion resolution pixelization from the mirrors?

post #223 of 8811 Old 07-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

I got to mess with my 73738 yesterday for a little while. I started up MW2 and noticed there was some sort of lag to it but it was hard to explain. I didn't have the TV in gaming mode if it does have that feature and the game did crash back to the game lobby, so I'm not sure if it was TV lag or game lag that I was experiencing. Since I had to watch Grand Turino I only got the one game in, so I don't have much other information on that. Hopefully I'll get time this weekend.

Tested out the apps selection and there are lots of them. What's nice is VUDU gives you a free rental. I'm not sure if that's true for all VUDU supported devices or just the TV's but I did try out their HDX preview of a movie and the picture looked great. Lots better then the netflix on my old TV. I haven't tried netflix through my HTPC or TIVO yet, so I'll get back to you on that. I wish the TV had a netflix interface though.
post #224 of 8811 Old 07-27-2010, 12:55 PM

Got word from Mitsubishi today that my new 65838 will be delivered Thursday. Woo hoo. I can't wait. The only bummer is that I wanted to upgrade to 73" and it was too late. The TV is sitting in the warehouse waiting for me. Should be fun anyway
post #225 of 8811 Old 07-27-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpert2 View Post

Got word from Mitsubishi today that my new 65838 will be delivered Thursday. Woo hoo. I can't wait. The only bummer is that I wanted to upgrade to 73" and it was too late. The TV is sitting in the warehouse waiting for me. Should be fun anyway

rxpert2,

Now that wasn't so bad was it? You only had to wait another week. I told you they were comming in and you and shumi_9 didn't believe me! I hope you did't get your panties too much in a bunch!
Have fun with the TV and show us your setup when you get this baby hooked up.
post #226 of 8811 Old 07-28-2010, 11:24 AM

Any new owners running through the Denon ##10/#90 series receivers? I just picked up the LaserVue/4810 and don’t receive ANY video from/through the 4810 to the LaserVue via HDMI. I know it must be a display problem because there are no issues when connected to a newly purchased $500 Sony. It also works perfectly well when connected directly from the BD player. Mitsubishi support is no help whatsoever so far.

Could new owners let me know, either here or via PM, which receivers/processors you're using because the LaserVue is not synching, via HDMI, with my Denon 4810, which I love so far. I'd like to see if there are issues related to the different series sets.

I am disabled, so I have to rely on my installer/dealer to get things tested and working properly. Otherwise, I'd be troubleshooting this on my own.

TIA
post #227 of 8811 Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorknh View Post

Actually an 1/8" over 56" sounds kind of crappy to me. We're talking about being able to draw a straight horizontal line with light. My CRT RPTV can do it, why can't a DLP set manage it?

the line is straight. the screen is not

your crt doesn't have a 56 inch screen (edit: oops. a crt RPTV might sorry. must have a flatter more perpendicular screen. perhaps its alot heavier and beefier construction (older?))
post #228 of 8811 Old 07-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxheat View Post

rxpert2,

Now that wasn't so bad was it? You only had to wait another week. I told you they were comming in and you and shumi_9 didn't believe me! I hope you did't get your panties too much in a bunch!
Have fun with the TV and show us your setup when you get this baby hooked up.

Answers:
1. yes it was.
2. a week is too long. Im inpatient.
3. No, we didn't.
4. I did. In fact they're about to explode. Tomorrow can't come fast enough.

And all this for a TV I wasn't even sure I wanted 5 weeks ago when this all started. This forum is like a drug. An expensive, time wasting, some times humorous, addiction I can't get enough of.

So, for those of you that already have the TV. The on-line owners guide keeps making references (for the 838 series anyway) to "See the full owner's guide at www.mitsubishi-tv.com" for details on many features.
As far as I can tell, there is only one on-line manual, and that is the one that keeps saying to see the online manual.
What is up with that ? Did you get an even more detailed guide in the box ? Or where on the site did you find an even more detailed guide than the 40 page one they have listed ?
post #229 of 8811 Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Same guide for me...the one in the box is the same as the one online...seems a little strange...but I must say that my 82738 is looking really good. Haven't messed with the advanced settings...a little tweeking with the normal menus gives me a great picture. Not sure if I want to tackle the calibration thing again like I did with my 61" Samsung.

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

post #230 of 8811 Old 07-29-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm awaiting the 82" and just have a couple quick questions. I will be playing my 360, ps3, and watching bluray/DVDs on it. I saw avatar running on it already so I know how that looks. I'm wondering how gaming is on it. Thanks in advance.
post #231 of 8811 Old 07-29-2010, 03:40 PM

Hello all.

My Mitsu model from about 5 years ago died and am getting a 65 838 deliverd tomorrow morning. Just want to add that mitsu customer service has a great deal to be desired, but I don't want to go on that rant. :-)

so, right off the bat... any advise for inital set up?

hooking up the usual suspects... cable box, xbox (360 of course), Wii, etc...

anyone find any 3D content out there?
post #232 of 8811 Old 07-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry, I don't game, and as for 3D...wellllll, I think that one's going to have to wait a while longer before I get into that.

Better to want what you don't have, than to have what you don't want!

post #233 of 8811 Old 07-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhprincipe View Post

Hello all.

My Mitsu model from about 5 years ago died and am getting a 65 838 deliverd tomorrow morning. Just want to add that mitsu customer service has a great deal to be desired, but I don't want to go on that rant. :-)

so, right off the bat... any advise for inital set up?

hooking up the usual suspects... cable box, xbox (360 of course), Wii, etc...

anyone find any 3D content out there?

What was your previous model ? I was prob in same situation. I had the 62825 from about 5 years ago. I got the blinking green light of death, brought it to Mitsu's attention and they sent me a brand new 65838 for the repair cost.
What problems did you have with Mitsu customer service ? I mean I hated that you have to go through 2 levels of associate every time you want an answer and that it takes 1 to 2 days for them to call you back, BUT I thought they handled their bad mother board situation pretty well. I am pretty certain that if my Sony LCD goes bad in 5 years, that Sony is not going to offer me a new one for the price of repair.
post #234 of 8811 Old 07-29-2010, 05:55 PM

So I received the new tv today. Out of the box I would say the settings are pretty good. I did adjust some picture stuff but I think it looks pretty ok. You videophile people will probably crucify me, but apparently I am more of an LCD picture guy, because I prefer the "bright" picture mode as opposed to "natural". The brilliant is even a little too bright, over saturated for me, and I like retina searing color.
I am having a problem that the channel guide letters look kind of fuzzy, as in not really crisp, even with that turned up high.
I will reserve total judgement till I have more time to play with it, however there is one thing I already know.....

VUDU Apps Suck ! Don't waste your money on a wireless dongle thingy. Unless you like to rent movies, all the other apps are just stupid. Mostly advertisments for stuff you can buy.

They make a big deal and there is nothing I like.
They missed the two big ones.... Netflix and YouTube.
I just thought it was going to be better internet connectivity with the TV.
post #235 of 8811 Old 07-29-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

Same guide for me...the one in the box is the same as the one online...seems a little strange...but I must say that my 82738 is looking really good. Haven't messed with the advanced settings...a little tweeking with the normal menus gives me a great picture. Not sure if I want to tackle the calibration thing again like I did with my 61" Samsung.

Yeah, I think it looks pretty good too. Have your read the "Greyscale & color calibration for dummies" post yet ? After reading that, I do think we can get a whole lot more out of our TV's. I will eventually do that, but that is a big project that will wait. If they look this good now, I would love to have mine calibrated to see just how GREAT they can be.
post #236 of 8811 Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 PM

has anyone tried hulu and or netflix on the 82 inch sets? just wondering how hd and sd streaming content from both look.
post #237 of 8811 Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnola View Post

has anyone tried hulu and or netflix on the 82 inch sets? just wondering how hd and sd streaming content from both look.

There is about a foot between each pixel but hey if you get back far enough it all looks good.

Just another blank signature.
post #238 of 8811 Old 07-30-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

at the left hand side 1/8th of an inch is unusable.
at the right hand side 1/4th of an inch of the screen is not usable.
Here is a picture of me calibrating the screen using the Nvidia Control Console.

This is the 1/4th inch side, but there is still an unusable area at the left corner as well but it's only 1/8th of an inch. The line may be straight but the image is not and it is definately noticable on any bright picture. You can see where the right hand side starts to bow inward as well, but that problem is not as serious to me.
Using the desktop size adjustment I can make the image larger, but then I can't see the task bar or start button. It will also cut off the scrolling text at the bottom of the screen inside of media center. So in order to avoid these problems I have to deal with the 1/8th to 1/4th gap at the top of the TV I'm not sure if I will have to pay a technician to come out or not, and if I do, I would be better off just returning the TV I guess? But cashback is over now, so the deal is gone and I would have to go back to my 37" LCD TV. However, the 37" is a bit small 20 feet away.

Just got a call from Mitsubishi, but the guys phone cuts in for a second then out for 6 or 7 seconds. They keep calling me but I can't hear them
post #239 of 8811 Old 07-30-2010, 02:59 PM

where do you live? on the moon?
post #240 of 8811 Old 07-30-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaamz777 View Post

where do you live? on the moon?

My phone is working fine, the problem is on their side. Probably one of those crappy headset things or something.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page