2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (738/838 series) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8809 Old 06-24-2010, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thought I would start this thread as a proud owner of a 73738. I actually ordered the 73C9 on 5/28/2010 and was shipped the 73738 on 6/1/2010 so I was very fortunate.

Considering the native SbS format feature, I decided to check out ESPN 3D. However, I came to find out that DirecTV did not include the 738/838 EDIDs in their supported list of 3D TV's within their 3D firmware upgrade and decided to only include the 3DA-1 adapter's EDID in order to support all Mitsu DLPs in one fell swoop. Of course, that adapter isn't out yet, so I was left out in the cold...until a post from Casey Bryson caught my eye. Long story short, he thought a Gefen HDMI detective plus unit could trick the D* receiver into believing the TV was a supported one by recording a supported EDID and intercepting the D* signal before it got to the TV. Well, he was right. I had a GHDP shipped to me on 6-12 and took it to Best Buy. I hooked it up to a Samsung True 3D TV and recorded the EDID. Brought it home, hooked it between the receiver and the TV and instantly had the World Cup in 3D.

My setup is a DirecTV HR22/100 receiver hooked into a Gefen HDMI Detective with a Samsung True 3D TV EDID stored on it. That is hooked into the Onkyo R580 (HDMI 1.4a) A/V receiver which is linked into the TV.

Although it is possible D* will support the 738/838 EDIDs in a future firmware update, they may not so I am sticking with the current setup until I hear otherwise. I will probably test it when D* does a firmware update without the GHDP in between to see if they added support.

One of the best features of this series is that the frame packing and top/bottom 3D formats will be natively supported just like checkerboard and SbS is now with a future summer software upgrade meaning an adapter won't be necessary for these models (if D* supports these models and allows the 3D signal without having a GHDP to trick it or if you have a GHDP with a supported EDID).

I look forward to conversing with fellow owners and hope to share ideas, answer questions about the TV and post about the future software update when it arrives and how to get it to your TV (or finding out myself from someone posting here).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8809 Old 06-24-2010, 05:40 AM

Liked: 12
I am also considering one of these 2010 3D sets.

How was the 3D picture; any ghosting?

Did you have a chance to compare it against the the 3D sets on the market.

If I make this purchase I will also spring for the complete 3D kit from Mit which includes the adapter and 2 pair of 3D glasses.
post #3 of 8809 Old 06-24-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

The only 3D that I have seen on my 73738 is the World Cup, the 3D commercials and the 3D promo for Toy Story 3D. I haven't seen any ghosting.

Best Buy had the World Cup on one of the True 3D Samsungs and I put on their demo glasses and watched it. I didn't notice any difference which makes sense since the input format is the same. Considering the upcoming software update to support 3DBD frame packing format, I don't think you can go wrong with these.

If you do get the kit, you are basically paying about $185 too much as you can get the 2 pairs of glasses for $214 from Provantage. You don't need the emitter since the x102s are DLP-Link or the adapter since they are providing a software upgrade later this summer.
post #4 of 8809 Old 06-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Did you contact DirecTV about the issue. Maybe they are unaware of the issue. I'm looking into the same TV and similar setup as you.
post #5 of 8809 Old 06-24-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats on your 738. Now get started on the FAQ. If there is anything in the 2009 FAQ (link in my sig) you feel carries over, feel free to copy 'n paste.
post #6 of 8809 Old 06-24-2010, 02:20 PM

Just got my 60738 delivered today in exchange for a damaged c9 series!!! Still getting everything hooked back up. I will let you know my first impressions later.
post #7 of 8809 Old 06-24-2010, 05:35 PM

[QUOTE
One of the best features of this series is that the frame packing and top/bottom 3D formats will be natively supported just like checkerboard and SbS is now with a future summer software upgrade meaning an adapter won't be necessary for these models (if D* supports these models and allows the 3D signal without having a GHDP to trick it or if you have a GHDP with a supported EDID).
QUOTE]

Where did you find this info on the future software upgrade? Is it just for the 2010 models? Thanks.
post #8 of 8809 Old 06-25-2010, 05:35 AM

My 73 inch 738 series model should be delivered within the next hour from Best Buy so I will post my first impressions on it most likely later tonight. My story is interesting, as this will be a replacement for a 73 inch 837 television that was essentially DOA. It would not read Blu-Ray via HDMI unless I kept unplugging and replugging the set and then after the main board was replaced it would recognize the Blu-Ray but the light engine was toast.

After weeks with a broken television, the 738 model finally arrived at Best Buy. The 838 model looks to be a special order only and would cost me right under 2000 dollars more than I paid for my 837 (open box item) so I was not looking to do that. Hopefully I will not see a noticeable picture quality difference due to the lack of the dynamic iris (dark detailer). I just could not justify paying the gigantic price difference especially since I would never use that nifty onboard speaker.

Anyways, I will post thoughts hopefully later tonight. Bummer about Directv not recognizing the Mitsubishi television without having to trick the set top box using the HDMI Detective Plus unit...

Any links to where it specifically shows the existence of the pending firmware update for 3D?
post #9 of 8809 Old 06-25-2010, 06:01 AM

So Primetime, what are your thoughts on the 738's picture performance in general?
post #10 of 8809 Old 06-25-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Question! I had almost bought one of these sets. Due to huge screen and dirt cheap prices. How do these seta compare to LCD when it comes to PQ and gaming? Was still thinking about trying one of these new 2010 models but I've never owned one and thought there had to be a reason you could get em so big for so cheap.
post #11 of 8809 Old 06-25-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 View Post

Did you contact DirecTV about the issue. Maybe they are unaware of the issue. I'm looking into the same TV and similar setup as you.

Yes, they are aware. They did it on purpose to only support the adapter. We can only hope they will put our EDIDs in a future firmware update to their receivers, but they have made no promises.
post #12 of 8809 Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead11 View Post

Where did you find this info on the future software upgrade? Is it just for the 2010 models? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folgersnyourcup View Post

Any links to where it specifically shows the existence of the pending firmware update for 3D?

It applies to the 738/838 series only. This information is found here:

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/pdf/specsheet-738.pdf
"For support of other 3D formats, such as top-bottom and frame packing (3D Blu Ray standard), Mitsubishi plans to provide a 3D software upgrade to Mitsubishi 3DTVs."

and here:

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/pdf/OG-738-838.pdf (page 16)
"Please visit our website at www.mitsubishi-tv.com for information about future TV software updates that will broaden 3D signal compatibility."
post #13 of 8809 Old 06-25-2010, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nofears View Post

So Primetime, what are your thoughts on the 738's picture performance in general?

Personally it blows me away. I upgraded from a Rear Projection Mitsu 55" Integrated HDTV that I purchased in 2002 for about $2800. Back then, watching ER in HD was mind blowing. I got the same feeling when I watched the World Cup in 3D, but especially the commerical trailer for Toy Story 3D during halftime of one of the games. I doubt I will ever go see a 3D movie in a theater again. The sheer size of this TV allows you to have limited peripheral vision outside the frame of the screen so you are really emersed in the picture.

I look forward to getting Avatar on 3DBD this fall.

As for comparing to different types of TVs, I simply believe it is a personal choice that needs to be made by the buyer. Go to your local retailers and look at all of them. Pick the best quality picture that fits your budget.
post #14 of 8809 Old 06-25-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetime19 View Post

If you do get the kit, you are basically paying about $185 too much as you can get the 2 pairs of glasses for $214 from Provantage. You don't need the emitter since the x102s are DLP-Link or the adapter since they are providing a software upgrade later this summer.

Which glasses from provantage.com are they? The Sharp or Viewsonic ones?

I ordered a 73738 from Best Buy on Tuesday. Taking delivery Monday but the stand won't be here until Wednesday at the earliest (BB was telling me the TV was shipping in August).
post #15 of 8809 Old 06-25-2010, 06:51 PM

I am extremely happy with this tv so far. First difference going from the 837 to the 738 is the remote. The new remote is much better. I am not able to compare the two television side by side as my 837 was broken, but the blacks look just as good to my eyes on the 738 even without the dynamic iris the model up had. The internet features on the tv are awesome... I played around with Picasa and Facebook this morning.

I am very anxious to see how 3D looks on this television. A little nervous about the comparison to the Samsung LED though, as I felt World Cup soccer was borderline unwatchable to me on that... On a Panasonic Plasma 3D it looked incredible, no ghosting whatsover. However, on the Samsung particularly the up close crowd shots were hysterical. The ghosting from everybody was just blurring in all together and it just ends up a giant mess. Most people at first glance don't notice it but once it is pointed out to them it becomes all they see... Oh well, hopefully the Mitsubishi is somewhere in between the Samsung LED and Panasonic Plasma 3D quality.

I sit right about 11 feet away from the tv and the size is perfect for me especially for movie watching. I was really worried at first about what I would be giving up getting the 738 over the 838 especially since I had the 837 before. However, everything's great so far.
post #16 of 8809 Old 06-26-2010, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

The Sharp (X102) DLP-Link.
post #17 of 8809 Old 06-26-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Question! I had almost bought one of these sets. Due to huge screen and dirt cheap prices. How do these seta compare to LCD when it comes to PQ and gaming? Was still thinking about trying one of these new 2010 models but I've never owned one and thought there had to be a reason you could get em so big for so cheap.

I was also thinking of getting a 73 for gaming, it's been a few years since I've looked at dlp and I'm sure alot has changed.

One thing I didn't like about the samsung led dlp's was that you had to sit dead center, you couldn't lay down and watch it or the picture would be dimmer and not as focused. Does this apply to the 2009 and 10 Mit's? It drives me crazy on my buddies sam.

Also for video games are all the lag issues gone and does something like a wii (not 1080p) still look good on a 73?
post #18 of 8809 Old 06-26-2010, 03:53 AM

So what is the argument for getting a 2010 73-738 instead of the 2009 model 73C9? Other than the Internet connection?
post #19 of 8809 Old 06-26-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ7 View Post

I was also thinking of getting a 73 for gaming, it's been a few years since I've looked at dlp and I'm sure alot has changed.

One thing I didn't like about the samsung led dlp's was that you had to sit dead center, you couldn't lay down and watch it or the picture would be dimmer and not as focused. Does this apply to the 2009 and 10 Mit's? It drives me crazy on my buddies sam.

Also for video games are all the lag issues gone and does something like a wii (not 1080p) still look good on a 73?

Input lag is now a MAJOR concern of mine. I just hate it. I have a UN55B8500 and can't stand it for gaming. Movies it's beautiful. But crap for games due to input lag.
post #20 of 8809 Old 06-27-2010, 11:47 PM

Will any USB Wireless N adapter work on the TV or does it need to be the one Mitsubishi specifies in the manual? Ah... never mind. I'll most likely never bother to use Vudu.
post #21 of 8809 Old 06-29-2010, 04:21 AM

Two things I'd like to know;

How bad is the input lag? There's a "game" setting, so I'm hoping it's barely noticeable.

Is there a menu option to select 1:1 pixel mapping, or is it enabled by the service menu again?
post #22 of 8809 Old 06-29-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias View Post

How bad is the input lag? There's a "game" setting, so I'm hoping it's barely noticeable.

Is there a menu option to select 1:1 pixel mapping, or is it enabled by the service menu again?

I got the TV yesterday, haven't played a ton but haven't noticed any real input lag. I guess a good test will be Rock Band but the living room is a mess right now (new TV sans stand, old 50 projection screen, and the box the new TV came in).
post #23 of 8809 Old 06-29-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd consider one of these sets if the picture quality was better. That and low input lag. VERY LOW input lag.
post #24 of 8809 Old 06-29-2010, 09:34 PM

Primetime,

Where, and what type of 3D glasses did you get?

Could you detail for me everything you needed to make it work?

I'd like to try the method you used instead of wating for a 399$ kit.

Thanks
post #25 of 8809 Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:

I'd consider one of these sets if the picture quality was better. That and low input lag. VERY LOW input lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmanias View Post

Quote:

Input lag is now a MAJOR concern of mine. I just hate it. I have a UN55B8500 and can't stand it for gaming. Movies it's beautiful. But crap for games due to input lag.

I just received my WD-60738 and it looks amazing. After reading some of the questions here I figured I would test the input lag. Using Guitar Hero it shows video lag at 75ms. It might actually be a little better then that since I am terrible at the game but at least you get an idea.

On a side note I could not get my PS3 to recognize 3D mode. I understand that it does not support checkerboard but I figured it did do side by side. I could be wrong and I am still looking into it.

If anyone has any other questions feel free I am more then willing to test the tv out some more. As far as input are concerned I have a VIP722K Dish DVR, PS3, Xbox, and Wii to test out.
post #26 of 8809 Old 06-30-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Dam it. 75 is way to high for me. I get around 60 with my set now and thats way to high.
post #27 of 8809 Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnowsWho View Post

So what is the argument for getting a 2010 73-738 instead of the 2009 model 73C9? Other than the Internet connection?

I would also like to know if there is some difference in video processing or the 120hz smooth motion.
post #28 of 8809 Old 06-30-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnowsWho View Post

Not needing an (or potenially even more than one) 3D adapter for 3D sources (after the promised "summer firmware update").
post #29 of 8809 Old 06-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Has anyone tested 3d Blu-Ray on it? I believe that the Panasonic player will output the proper 3d format for the 738.

Also, I have an Old Samsung DLP that does the upconverting 1080p. I'm looking to upgrade and have always liked DLP. Would you recommend a Plasma or another DLP?
post #30 of 8809 Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone seen a WD-73838 yet? Have they started shipping?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page