Sams Club balking on refund for TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 07-13-2010, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may be a long post so I will summarize first:

I bought a Sony KDF-60XS955 from Sam's Club in 2006 for $3200. In 2009 the optical block went bad. I couldn't find my receipt until last weekend. With broken TV and original receipt in hand, Sam's will not give me a refund. They say they never had a policy in writing saying that there was a "100% satisfaction guarantee or a full refund with receipt" and I should not expect money back for a 4 year old TV.

Now for all the details:

When the OB went bad, I contacted Sam's and they said they couldn't help at all and insisted if I had the original receipt they would provide a refund, exchange, whatever.

Then I worked with Sony, spent $100 on a tech visit only to have Sony offer me a slight discount on an entirely different TV. The OB was approx $1000 to fix. I decided to buy a new TV for $1600 (not a Sony and not from Sam's).

Last weekend I found the receipt in an old desk drawer. I called the local club, they confirmed they would give a refund, and when I got there with TV in my van they refused. They made 3 or 4 phone calls to district or regional managers. After about an hour, they said I will have to come back later when someone is able to make a decision. Their reason - the TV was expensive and it has been 4 years. I asked to see the language in the return policy that excluded that scenario and they couldn't, just saying that $3200 is more than they are authorized to refund.

So I came home and started doing some calling myself. 4 days later, I finally got connected with a guy who apparently has the job of fielding these type of returns. He insists that there never was a written policy of "100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back if you have the receipt". I am 99.99% certain that there was, as there still is, except in Nov of 2009 they changed it to 90 days for TV's. He explained that I should never expect a full refund for a 4 yr old TV that I got 3 years use from. I explained that I didn't make the return policy, Sams did, and I am simply playing by their rules and I wanted a refund. It was interesting how he offered several options like getting it fixed, swapping for another one, etc but when it originally broke no one offered any help at all. The killer was that they are able to see my receipt online. Last year when it broke, they claimed they couldn't look it up and therefore couldn't help. Seems fishy to me.

Finally he offered a $2000 Sams gift card. I said that may be acceptable and I can go to the local club to get it today. If that was the initial offer, I would be happy. After 4 days of phone calls to 5 different people and the backpedaling on the return policy, part of me wants to make a bigger deal of this and get my full $3200 cash refund.

Anyone have 1st hand experience with this? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-13-2010, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My experience is the opposite of yours. I bought a cheap AKAI LCD set and an extended warranty from Sam's. Shortly after the 1 year warranty expired the set went out. The warranty company could not find anybody to work on AKAI sets. They kept stalling for several weeks, looking for someone.

I called Sam's HQ and they told me that the decision was up to the store manager as to how to handle. They gave me his name and number.

Called him once and he said bring the set back for a refund. At the store, the customer service desk called him and he not only authorized a refund for the set but for the warranty, saying "it obviously didn't do you any good". Refund was in cash - right on the spot.

It might depend on who you talk to. If you've talked to the store manager and not been satisfied, try another store - in person. Don't mess with the clerks at the service desk, as they'll need approval for something this large.

I was so pleased with my experience that I immediately bought a replacement set, from Sam's. It was a larger screen size and cheaper. I also bought a brand that has some national support system in place.

Good luck with your situation. For $2000 you can probably buy a great set with an equal or larger screen, and you'll get the mfg warranty for at least the next year. I'd tend to look at the end result (new set) rather than the dollar value of the offer. If the end result is better than what you had, might not be a bad deal.
post #3 of 25 Old 07-13-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Things have changed greatly in the last four years for retailers. What might have been fine then is something they are no longer willing nor able to do. I think their final offer to you is very fair. And on a certain level, I think asking for a full refund on a four year old tv is not reasonable. Some prorated offer maybe, full refund, why? You used it for four years. Anyway, you have a good deal after all your work, you should be very satisfied.
post #4 of 25 Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
It's Chinamart, would do you expect?
Bet you never saw the PBS documentary (and others) on Walmart.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #5 of 25 Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Just found the original 2006 policy which says "money back guarantee with receipt" and the changed Nov 2009 policy stating that TV's are limited to 90 days but prior purchases are subject to the policy at time of purchase.

Offering me $2000 gift card instead of $3200 cash is certainly not written in any Sam's policy. Nowhere does it say I get 62% refund after 4 years.
post #6 of 25 Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper836 View Post

Just found the original 2006 policy which says "money back guarantee with receipt" and the changed Nov 2009 policy stating that TV's are limited to 90 days but prior purchases are subject to the policy at time of purchase.

Offering me $2000 gift card instead of $3200 cash is certainly not written in any Sam's policy. Nowhere does it say I get 62% refund after 4 years.

Scooper, I would take the $2K gift card and run like the wind - if you don't you will most likely end up with nothing. I recently sucked it up and paid $525.00 for a replacement Sony TV. Didn't want to, but figured I would cut my losses and pay the 500 bucks for a $1500 LCD flat-panel set. Don't blame ya for being upset, sounds like they changed the rules, but have to agree that a full money-back guaranty on a TV set is a bit much to expect!
post #7 of 25 Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Going by the terms of the original return policy, I have no reason to expect anything but a full $3200 refund. That is what their policy clearly stated. Its black and white, there is no gray area here.
post #8 of 25 Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

I printed out the 2006 return policy, took it to the store with my receipt and broken TV. Just got all my money back, including tax, for a total of $3407. NICE!

Regional manager just yesterday said that he knew of no such "money back guarantee" and the printout proved him wrong. He admitted it and authorized a full refund. I don't think he was wrong, I think he was intentionally misleading me so that I would settle for a lesser amount. That is shameful.

The sad part is that I would have settled for a lesser amount in the beginning if they hadn't been such jerks about it.

FYI, here is the 2006 policy. The web archive site is useful:

http://web.archive.org/web/200603170...e.do?catg=5352
post #9 of 25 Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Are you certain that was the Sam's policy in 2006. I purchased a Plasma TV from them at the end of 2005 and returned it within 30 days, the beginning of 2006, for a refund. Then I purchased a newer model a couple of months later from Costco. As I recall there was a big difference in the return policies between Sams and Costco at that time and it was Costco that didn't have a time limit while Sam's did. That's why a lot of members here on the forum were buying from Costco up until they eliiminated the "no time limit" on their satisifaction guarantee. In the spring to 2007 Costco changed their policy to only 90 days for a refund but they provided a extra of year of warranty (directly from Costco).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #10 of 25 Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I printed out the 2006 return policy, took it to the store with my receipt and broken TV. Just got all my money back, including tax, for a total of $3407. NICE!

Regional manager just yesterday said that he knew of no such "money back guarantee" and the printout proved him wrong. He admitted it and authorized a full refund. I don't think he was wrong, I think he was intentionally misleading me so that I would settle for a lesser amount. That is shameful.

The sad part is that I would have settled for a lesser amount in the beginning if they hadn't been such jerks about it.

FYI, here is the 2006 policy. The web archive site is useful:

http://web.archive.org/web/200603170...e.do?catg=5352

Well, I can certainly see why they changed their policy. I don't think I would feel entitled to get all of my original purchase price back on a TV that would only be selling for about $1200 today, but they wrote the policy, and it's not like they didn't have lawyers and accountants to review it.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #11 of 25 Old 02-26-2011, 06:40 AM

Bought the Philips 63" Plasma at Sams Club and 4 years and 2 months later "poof" the thing wont turn on. We called Sears they came out and said we needed a part, they ordered it and came back out and it's the wrong part...And they don't make the part you need anymore. Not REALIZING that Sam's gives you the "1 year mfr warranty" plus the 3yrs when you buy the extended warranty, Sam's gives you add'l 12 mos. of warranty coverage. BUT who cares if the thing can't be fixed. So we found the original reciept and printed your link for 100% satisfaction garauntee and took that and the TV to Sam's. Got the whole $5k back! Of course the manager complained about now eating $8k but we got it all. We opened a Sam's "Dicover Card" account when we bought it put $2k cash down and put the rest on the card so they gave us $2K cash back and put the rest on the Discover card which was fine because you can use that card anywhere Discover is accepted. Your link Really made the difference THANK YOU! Funny thing is Sam's put that TV on sale within 30 days of our purchase and my husband went back and got the difference but, when they gave us the refund they gave us the FULL purchase price back. We bought our TV 12/2006
post #12 of 25 Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And this is why stores are getting strict on their return policies, expecting a full refund on a junk Sony or Philips after 4 years is a joke. It ruins it for those that have legitimate and acceptable reasons to return products within a reasonable time frame.

They should have given you in store credit only towards a similar product at their discretion.
post #13 of 25 Old 02-26-2011, 04:15 PM

Two strikes against your "theory" on satisfaction guarantee. One its "Electronic" . Even back in the day of Sams, they had clauses posted to the public on the return timeframe for electronics, despite what a "standard" receipt may have. Electronics fell under the maximum one year from time of purchase if product was damaged and original packaging and product were brought back in same condition as purchased. Yours clearly exceeded the first year and they do not need to give you this back. Feel free to contact a consumer lawyer, they could use a good laugh from your insisting that after four years of use you'd like the FULL refund.
post #14 of 25 Old 02-27-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayla38 View Post

Two strikes against your "theory" on satisfaction guarantee. One its "Electronic" . Even back in the day of Sams, they had clauses posted to the public on the return timeframe for electronics, despite what a "standard" receipt may have. Electronics fell under the maximum one year from time of purchase if product was damaged and original packaging and product were brought back in same condition as purchased. Yours clearly exceeded the first year and they do not need to give you this back. Feel free to contact a consumer lawyer, they could use a good laugh from your insisting that after four years of use you'd like the FULL refund.

???

The OP brought in the set, the receipt, and a copy of the store's policy and did get a full refund.

Consumers don't make store policies and shouldn't feel bad about having a store live up to their word.

Guess who is laughing now?
post #15 of 25 Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 AM

He was well within his rights according to the link from 2006 Sams club policy. It may seem like he took advantage of the situation,but part of the selling point of Sams club and Costco at the time was this no questions asked "forever" policy on ALL items. They changed the policy when people started doing exactly what happened here,returning well used items for a full refund.
I think that gaming the system may be unsavory but If the policy is there then the retailer has to expect some people to "abuse" it.
post #16 of 25 Old 02-27-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

???

The OP brought in the set, the receipt, and a copy of the store's policy and did get a full refund.

Consumers don't make store policies and shouldn't feel bad about having a store live up to their word.

Guess who is laughing now?

Wrong consumers actions do make store policies hence the reason why every store is changing theirs. Sam's was decent enough to be lenient but then a few *******s have to abuse it.
post #17 of 25 Old 02-28-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Store policies sometimes just don't make any sense.

I bought a Blu-ray player from Walmart. About a month later, it went on sale for about $30 less than I paid for it.

I took my receipt to customer service and asked for a refund of the $30. C/S clerk said that they couldn't do it, as the price match was only good for 2 weeks.

I asked for a Mgr. and he explained the same policy to me. I informed him that they also had a 90 day return policy on their electronics, and that I could box up the old one; return it for a refund; and pick up a brand new one off the pile.

He agreed that was the way to do it, even though that left them with one return item and one less new item to sell.

When I explained this to him, he was ok with having less to sell and an item to return.

I then asked him if he would save me the effort of boxing everything back up and making another trip to the store? He said he would refund the $30 in cash.

Make any sense that a company would have contradictory policies? No, but this is at the largest retailer in the U.S.

I don't feel like I took advantage of the retailer. They are obviously still making a profit at the sale price.

Same policies apply at Sam's. They recently upped the price of the new Vizio 65" lcd tv by $500. If I had bought the set at this higher price, I'd consider using their return policy to wait for the lower price to again roll around. If it did within the 90 day return pollicy they now have, you bet $500 is worth getting back - even if I had to return a perfectly good set.
post #18 of 25 Old 02-28-2011, 09:28 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

And this is why stores are getting strict on their return policies, expecting a full refund on a junk Sony or Philips after 4 years is a joke. It ruins it for those that have legitimate and acceptable reasons to return products within a reasonable time frame.

They should have given you in store credit only towards a similar product at their discretion.

Written policy is policy....no grey area. They should fire the lawers and all else who signed off on such dumb policies.

I see dumb polices , rules and regulations implemented at my workplace all the time. If I dont agree, I do not sign off, and I submit reasoning why I did not sign off. They dont care, they proceed anyway until it bites in the behind....just like sams.
post #19 of 25 Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Store policies sometimes just don't make any sense.

I bought a Blu-ray player from Walmart. About a month later, it went on sale for about $30 less than I paid for it.

I took my receipt to customer service and asked for a refund of the $30. C/S clerk said that they couldn't do it, as the price match was only good for 2 weeks.

I asked for a Mgr. and he explained the same policy to me. I informed him that they also had a 90 day return policy on their electronics, and that I could box up the old one; return it for a refund; and pick up a brand new one off the pile.

He agreed that was the way to do it, even though that left them with one return item and one less new item to sell.

When I explained this to him, he was ok with having less to sell and an item to return.

I then asked him if he would save me the effort of boxing everything back up and making another trip to the store? He said he would refund the $30 in cash.

Make any sense that a company would have contradictory policies? No, but this is at the largest retailer in the U.S.

I don't feel like I took advantage of the retailer. They are obviously still making a profit at the sale price.

Same policies apply at Sam's. They recently upped the price of the new Vizio 65" lcd tv by $500. If I had bought the set at this higher price, I'd consider using their return policy to wait for the lower price to again roll around. If it did within the 90 day return pollicy they now have, you bet $500 is worth getting back - even if I had to return a perfectly good set.

That's a totally different scenario and within a reasonable time frame. Things go on sale, go down in price, go up in price but don't expect to come strolling into a store and expect a price match or refund 3 or 4 years later.

Their policies do make sense they're that way to prevent abuse.You're supposed to keep the product not borrow it
post #20 of 25 Old 10-16-2011, 05:22 PM

Liked: 13
I ran into this exact same situation today, with a minor variation. My daughter took our 32" Vizio which does not have a built in HD tuner to college last month. Purchase date was 2005 and the price was $799.88. She now reports that the remote (had not been used while we had it since it had been in our master BR over the years) won't work. She tried swapping out the batteries as well as a universal remote with no luck. I called the local store where I had purchased the unit this past week and was told by "the manager" that I could return it and just mention his name. Fast forward to today when I was able to return the TV back home (200 mi. from college). I had already pulled the factory box out of the attic and had all the provided material inside as well as the factory protective wrapping/styrofoam. When I arrived at the store the female manager on duty refused the return though I had a copy of the receipt in hand and explained why I was bringing it in (I had already obtained "approval" ahead of time). She refused to budge, stated that I was ruining what had been a good day, and that she was not getting a return call from the "manager" that I had spoken with whom she claims is a manager in training. I never raised my voice, made any threats, or created a scene. I just repeated that I had received approval, I was aware of the return policy in effect at the time of my purchase, and THAT THIS ISSUE IS A NOTED ISSUE FOR THIS SET SINCE THE IR RECEIVER GOES BAD AND OTHERS HAD EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM. I told her that I would be glad to leave my name/number once she spoke with the actual store manager and that it had been an inconvenience (not her problem) in getting the set back to them (both out-of-town, and once back home and in the box). No call.

I appreciate the posting of the return terms since my scanned receipt copy only shows the front side and not the back.
post #21 of 25 Old 10-16-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:

Anyone have 1st hand experience with this? Any suggestions?

Your $3200 tv can be replaced today for far less ( less than the $2000 gift card given ) , and the unit will be a better quality unit. You did good, I would not spoil it
post #22 of 25 Old 10-17-2011, 07:26 PM

Liked: 13
Went to a second Sam's close to work today. I asked to speak with the manager and in doing so advised him of my situation. I explained that I was not there to return the item but only wanted his input as to whether or not I should bring my interaction to the attention of the club manager at the location where I attempted to return the item yesterday (never said which club) as well as with corporate. He said "yes" and that he would refund/exchange the TV himself if I brought it in. I told him that since I was able to control the TV through my TiVo that I was satisfied but that this matter now wasn't about trying to upgrade at their expense but more about the way that this situation was handled. I waited today to see if I would hear back from the individual with whom I left my name/number yesterday. I did not. I plan on calling the store tomorrow and inquiring as to the name and contact number for the club manager and I will attempt to meet with him one-on-one to discuss my interaction with his staff.
post #23 of 25 Old 09-06-2012, 10:33 AM

I'm reading a lot people shaming you for returning your TV for a refund after 4 years. PEOPLE, think about what you are saying.... It's Sam's Club that made a policy that no other company would do.. And why did they do it??? So you will shop there instead of the store down the street. Sam's and Walmart giants that is running everyone out of business by either lowering the prices or offering ridiculousness refunds. I don't feel sorry for these guy, they are making billions for doing this kind of stuff.

I bought a TV from Sam's in 2005 and the picture is gone in it, so I'm considering the same thing. But I just wanted to also say, when I bought my TV I was about to walk out after looking at TV's for an hour but the 1000 dollar price was really more than I wanted to spend but this lady looked me in the eyes and told me if I buy a TV there it will have a life time guarantee and to keep my receipt.. , SO I bought it... and I put the receipt in an envelope and taped it to the back of the TV...
post #24 of 25 Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot9 View Post

I'm reading a lot people shaming you for returning your TV for a refund after 4 years. PEOPLE, think about what you are saying.... It's Sam's Club that made a policy that no other company would do.. And why did they do it??? So you will shop there instead of the store down the street. Sam's and Walmart giants that is running everyone out of business by either lowering the prices or offering ridiculousness refunds. I don't feel sorry for these guy, they are making billions for doing this kind of stuff.
I bought a TV from Sam's in 2005 and the picture is gone in it, so I'm considering the same thing. But I just wanted to also say, when I bought my TV I was about to walk out after looking at TV's for an hour but the 1000 dollar price was really more than I wanted to spend but this lady looked me in the eyes and told me if I buy a TV there it will have a life time guarantee and to keep my receipt.. , SO I bought it... and I put the receipt in an envelope and taped it to the back of the TV...

You're about a year late and I have thought about......this is the reason they changed their policy. They didn't guarantee any product, only that you would be satisfied. Were you not satisfied since 2005?
post #25 of 25 Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 AM

Well,well,well;I try to get a refund for my wife from my father in-law and you know what he said you used her for a while and now you want to returned," sorry for you but you have to keep her"
. No returns!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page