Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mid-year update

I assume most got there tv around nov dec,jan,feb because of the deals they had

How is your tv holding up

Are you still happy with your purchase ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1377 Old 11-23-2011, 10:06 PM

Liked: 10
I'm still amazed by mine at least a few times a week. Started with Lucid's settings, and haven't varied them too much. Although I am running everything through a DVDO Edge, which is also an incredible device.

I'm thinking it's time to buy a replacement bulb and retire the original one to a back-up.
I've got a 60638, wondering what the best online source would be?

Marabunta
post #1173 of 1377 Old 11-25-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxie500fb View Post

It`s been a couple of months since i bought this 60638 and i seriously regret selling my 56 inch samsung hl56a650. It was so much more polished versus this no frills set. Channels had no lag when switching between them. Going from one imput to the next had no lag either and the picture was so much better right out of the box than this set will ever be no matter how much calibrating i have done. Trying some of the settings posted on this forum especially brilliant is painful and way too bright for my viewing area. If i`m lucky i`ll come across a samsung hl56a750 on craigslist to replace this featureless boring to watch oversized box. It`s a good thing i got it dirt cheap.If i`m lucky i`ll be able to get the $300.00 i paid for it if i`m lucky enough to find a good used set.

All these complaints for a $300 TV, and yet you bought another Mitsubishi http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21256722

(and still complaining)

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #1174 of 1377 Old 11-25-2011, 10:20 AM

Yeah, if I didn't have the DVDO Edge, I don't think I'd be happy with this set(60638) on anything but 1080P. Luckily, I found a used Edge here on AVS forum for $300, run EVERYTHING through it, and have DirecTV with the source direct option. OTA antenna looks best, of course. This is the first HD set I don't mind watching SD programming on. For SD, our Sony WEGA FD has always been tops.

Marabunta
post #1175 of 1377 Old 11-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

im still on Lucid's picture settings

the first one from page 16 i think

i tried his new settings but i like the old one better

i wish i had gotten the 60638 over the 60c10 just because the frame is glossy
post #1176 of 1377 Old 11-25-2011, 09:28 PM

funny that I spent hours working through 2 or 3 calibration discs, didn't like any of them and went back to Lucid's settings....Thanks, Lucid!

Marabunta
post #1177 of 1377 Old 11-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatorTot View Post

Mid-year update

I assume most got there tv around nov dec,jan,feb because of the deals they had

How is your tv holding up

Are you still happy with your purchase ?

I'm still loving my 65C10. The only negative so far, which probably more a "nature" issue, is I now have a "clear spot" on the inside screen - I think a bug did some magic. It's only visible when the screen displays solid colors but it's still annoying. I have to call Mitsubishi to see what they can do about it or if they can give guidance on how to clean the inside screen. The only other complaint I have is the occasional screen judder on some movie scenes. It's not terrible or anything and doesn't happen often to really complain about. I read that the 640/740/840 models got a firmware update to fix judder issues. So I'll be updating to the latest firmware for the C10/638 to see if that might correct it. I doubt it since the C10/638 use a different video processor. And from what I've read about the 640, it seems to use a bettor video processor than the C10/638.

There were some insane deals this Black Friday and still going on. BB online had the 73640 for 699 with free shipping! Sadly that deal sold out fast otherwise I would've gotten one without thinking twice. Dell still has a good deal on the 73 for a bit more than 900 beans with free shipping. The 82740 can be had for a bit more than 1800. So there are some seriously good deals for those that didn't make the jump yet. I'm on the fence if I should bite the bullet and get the 73640 or 82740. I'll still keep my 65" but will just use it in the bedroom.

I need to read up more on the 640 series since it appears that the video processor might be the same as the one used in the 740/840 models. And from what I read, the 840 models don't provide that much better picture quality because of the better contrast screen. But I probably wouldn't want that anyway since the 840 models have a reflective screen finish and not a matte one like the C10/638 have. So you'll get light/room glare on the screen which sucks big time.
post #1178 of 1377 Old 11-27-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marabunta View Post

I've got a 60638, wondering what the best online source would be?

I would wait until your bulb fails before buying a new one. But if you're one that can't go without your HDTV for several days to a week then a backup bulb makes sense. Especially if you use your HDTV a lot since the bulb will die faster. You can get a replacement bulb and the housing directly from Mitsubishi for 99. Here's the link to Mitsubishi Parts website.
post #1179 of 1377 Old 11-27-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

All these complaints for a $300 TV, and yet you bought another Mitsubishi http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21256722

(and still complaining)

A lot of what was mentioned could be easily fixed. The lag between channel changing is caused because the source video needs to upscaled to 1080i or 1080p output. Because if you go from a 720p to 1080i source there will be lag in the channel changing. This is discussed in this forum and how to correct it.

For the HDTV being too bright, that can be corrected by lowering the contrast in the settings menu until the brightness is where you want it. The 60" will be a bit more brighter than the 65" but since I'm using 100 (max) for contrast the lowering of the contrast should bring it in line to the brightness of the 65".

Some HDTVs have better out of box calibration than others. This is a "basic" model HDTV so one shouldn't expect the calibration to be perfect out of the box. Also, every HDTV looks different even after professional calibration. So a lot of people get use to the colors and looks of their previous HDTV and use that as a benchmark. It takes several days or weeks for you to adjust to the visual difference of a new HDTV. In fact, it can take just as long for someone to get use to changed HDTV settings. It's best if you change settings and then evaluate them visually at a later viewing.

What's more amazing is that they were unhappy with the 60638 but then go out and buy a "open box" 73838. The picture difference between the 60638 and the 73838 isn't that huge. More so since it's doubtful this person made the proper setting adjustments or had it professionally calibrated. And for a HDTV that was hated so much, they end up selling it to their sister for a "good" price. So much for the family love.
post #1180 of 1377 Old 11-28-2011, 07:10 AM

Holy moly... I had to go back to 12-4-10 to find my last post. Lol. Since then mitsu had come out and replaced the color wheel and lamp and the picture was greatly improved. I got a defective unit and mitsu took care of it. It`s been a great set since. As far as selling the set to my sister it was due to my brother in law wanting to buy it after we set the 73838 in its place. It`s not like i need 2 large screen tv`s. So yet again i bought another open box for what i believe to be a great price. I listed the issues... not problems that i`m having with the remote sending out commands more than once which made navigating a problem.

I like how you overlooked me saying that playing a bluray on the 73 was in a word "awesome". It`s my opinion yet again that the overall experience i had with the samsung dlp was much smoother and offered much less lag. Kind of like the user experience of an android phone versus the smooth operation of an iphone. Does having some lag on a dlp a deal breaker? heck no. I just originally gave you my opinion. It`s just unfortunate you don`t want anyone to post anything negative about your set.

Mitsu has already stated they`re sending me a new remote then hopefully all will be fine. If not then theres the remainder of the warranty to get it right. I owned the 60638 for just around a year and once it was repaired it turned out to be a solid set. If it wasn`t i never would of considered the 73838 for $800.00. I`m lovin the new set. Soon it`ll be calibrated and everyone who comes over is absolutely amazed not just by it`s size but also by the outstanding picture.

Oh and augerhandle... I`ve never had a stalker before... But it`s kinda creepy. lol
post #1181 of 1377 Old 11-28-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

"AugerStalker" It has a nice ring to it

It was just research and due diligence. Found your posts while researching something else, and couldn't resist commenting on your apparent change of heart.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #1182 of 1377 Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 PM

I told myself that I wasn't going to think about a 73" or 82" DLP until they had a full frame DLP chip. But the Holiday deals this year offered me up something I couldn't refuse. I ended up getting a WD-73C11 (same as the WD-73640) from Dell. With eGift promotions and reward points I was able to score it for 767 delivered (no sales tax in my state). That's just 52 beans more than I paid last year for my WD-65C10! Of course the price pushed me over the edge but it also helped that the video processor seems to be the same in the C11 as it is in the 740, just no TV apps/streaming and built in 3D emitter. So I should be able to tweak the colors a tad more. And to think I was going to pay 1700-1800 last year on one of the higher end 73" DLPs. Now I have a 65" and 73" for less than the 73" DLP I was going to buy last year!

Dell still has the sale going on for the WD-73C11 but the eGift card deal is over (75 eGift card for each 400 eGift card you buy). Still with reward points most will be able to get it for a little less than 900 which is still a good deal. Though it would've been nice to score that Black Friday deal at Best Buy online for 699 for the same set (WD-73640 is the same as the WD-73C11) with free shipping.

Only thing that sucks is the calibration madness starts all over again. But at least I know what I'm getting into.
post #1183 of 1377 Old 11-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Does the dell extended warranty cover the lamp/bulb ?
post #1184 of 1377 Old 11-30-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/Popu...&client=config

post #1185 of 1377 Old 11-30-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:

I avoid extended warranties since if most electronics are defective they will show it within the first few months of use. Not to mention, these HDTVs can be repaired cheaply by a DIY type person. Bulb is 99 bucks, DLP DMD chip is around 100 bucks, and the only thing left is the color wheel and motor - no idea on that cost. That's all the "physical" parts in the unit. With LCD or Plasma if you get a dead pixel outside of warranty you're pretty much SOL. Even inside of warranty it's acceptable to have some dead pixels. With DLP you can replace the DLP DMD chip and you've got a perfect display again.

Repair costs are usually high because you're paying a tech. to come out to your house and fix things. And they usually replace entire modules like the light engine, which is super expensive, even if it's just the DLP DMD chip or color wheel/motor issue.

Hell, getting things fixed under a standard warranty can sometimes be a hassle. And I've yet to see any 3rd party warranty be any better that was reasonably priced. Not to mention, at these sale prices you're better off just replacing the HDTV when it fails, which should be past 5+ years (outside of replacing the bulb).

Considering what most people pay for cable (80-150 a month), DLP HDTVs are super cheap even if they're replaced every 5 years (800/5yrs/12 months = 14 a month). I just wish more people would drop cable/sat. TV, get over the air broadcast HDTV, and either buy or rent blu-rays. The amount saved is huge and will more than pay for a HDTV itself over a short period of time (less than a year).
post #1186 of 1377 Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

it doesnt say anything about lamps or bulbs there

thats like a general description
post #1187 of 1377 Old 12-01-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:

it doesnt say anything about lamps or bulbs there

thats like a general description

This is from the "click here for more information" link which is a PDF.

WHAT IS NOT COvERED: THIS PLAN DOES NOT COvER: (1)
INCIDENTAL OR CONSEqUENTIAL DAMAgES (2) PRE-ExISTINg
CONDITIONS; (3) DAMAgE FROM ACCIDENT (UNLESS OTHERWISE
STATED IN THE WHAT IS COvERED SECTION), AbUSE, MISUSE,
INTRODUCTION OF FOREIgN ObjECTS INTO THE PRODUCT,
UNAUTHORIzED PRODUCT MODIFICATIONS OR ALTERATIONS, OR
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS; (4)
ACCESSORIES AND SUPPLIES, INCLUDINg bUT NOT LIMITED TO:
LIgHT bULbS, bATTERIES, ANTENNAS, CARTRIDgES, STyLUSES,
RECORDS, AUDIO/vIDEO DISkS, TAPES, COMPUTER SOFTWARE
OR DISkS, PRINT ELEMENTS, ExTERNAL POWER SUPPLIES,
vACUUM CLEANER bAgS AND bELTS, bULbS, FILTERS, OR
ExTERIOR PIPES OR PLUMbINg; (5) DAMAgE OR LOSS DUE TO THE
ELEMENTS OR ACTS OF gOD; (6) PREvENTATIvE MAINTENANCE OR
DAMAgES CAUSED by IMPROPER PREvENTATIvE MAINTENANCE;
(7) INHERENT PRODUCT DEFECTS, (8) COMMERCIALLy-USED
PRODUCTS, PUbLIC RENTAL, OR COMMUNAL USE IN MULTI-
FAMILy HOUSINg OR MULTI-USER ORgANIzATIONS; (9) DAMAgE
WHICH IS NOT REPORTED WITHIN 30 DAyS AFTER ExPIRATION OF
THIS PLAN; (10) LOSS OR DAMAgE TO STORED DATA, REPAIRS
RELATED TO INSTALLED SOFTWARE, COMPUTER vIRUSES,
CRACkED OR PHySICALLy DAMAgED SCREENS OR COMPUTER
HARDWARE WHICH IS ADDED AFTER THE ORIgINAL PURCHASE;
(11) bURNED-IN PHOSPHOR IN CATHODE RAy TUbES OR ANy
OTHER TyPE OF DISPLAy; (12) ANy DAMAgE TO RECORDINg
MEDIA INCLUDINg ANy SOFTWARE PROgRAMS, DATA, OR
CONFIgURATION/SETUP INFORMATION RESIDENT ON ANy MASS
STORAgE DEvICES SUCH AS HARD DRIvES, CD-ROM DRIvES,
DvD DRIvES, FLOPPy DISkETTES, TAPE DRIvES OR TAPE bACkUP
SySTEMS, AS A RESULT OF THE MALFUNCTIONINg OR DAMAgE
OF AN OPERATINg OR NON-OPERATINg PART, OR AS A RESULT
OF ANy REPAIRS OR REPLACEMENT UNDER THIS PLAN; (13)
PRODUCTS WITH REMOvED OR ALTERED SERIAL NUMbERS; (14)
LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA AND/OR THE RESTORATION OF
SOFTWARE AND OPERATINg SySTEMS; (15) LOSS AND/OR THEFT
OF THE PRODUCT; (16) LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF bUSINESS, LOSS
OF PROFITS, DOWN-TIME AND CHARgES FOR TIME AND EFFORT;
(17) ANy FAILURES OR PARTS AND/OR LAbOR COST INCURRED
AS A RESULT OF A MANUFACTURER'S RECALL, REgARDLESS OF
THE MANUFACTURER'S AbILITy TO PAy FOR SUCH REPAIRS; (18)
DAMAgE COvERED UNDER ANy INSURANCE POLICy, OR ANy
OTHER WARRANTy OR SERvICE PLAN; (19) SEIzED OR DAMAgED
PARTS RESULTINg FROM FAILURE TO MAINTAIN PROPER LEvELS
OF LUbRICANTS OR COOLANTS OR RESULTINg FROM USINg
CONTAMINATED OR IMPROPER LUbRICANTS; (20) LIAbILITy OR
DAMAgE TO PROPERTy, OR INjURy OR DEATH TO ANy PERSON
ARISINg OUT OF THE OPERATION, MAINTENANCE OR USE OF THE
PRODUCT; (21) PRODUCTS THAT ARE NOT LISTED ON THIS PLAN;
(22) PRODUCTS SOLD AS-IS INCLUDINg bUT NOT LIMITED TO
FLOOR MODELS (UNLESS COvERED by A FULL MANUFACTURER'S
WARRANTy ON yOUR DATE OF PURCHASE) AND DEMONSTRATION
MODELS; (23) SERvICE OR REPLACEMENT OUTSIDE OF THE USA;
(24) PRODUCTS SOLD OR SHIPPED OUTSIDE THE US; (25) OEM
COvERAgE; (26) DAMAgE OR LOSS DUE TO WAR, INvASION OR ACT
OF FOREIgN ENEMy, HOSTILITIES, CIvIL WAR, REbELLION, RIOT,
STRIkE, LAbOR DISTURbANCE, LOCkOUT OR CIvIL COMMOTION.
post #1188 of 1377 Old 12-09-2011, 08:14 AM

I've attempted to attach an image of what my 60c10 is doing. Basically it's like a smeared image going from top left to lower right. It is more obvious on black background, but the problem is worsening, and of course Mits. support/warranty is not being very helpful. After a 'fix attempt' they say this is normal. And sorry, It wasn't like this 5 months ago and not my first DLP. Any thoughts, or ideas on what is causing this and how to correct?
LL
post #1189 of 1377 Old 12-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Hey Guys.. I just recently purchased a 60638 to grace my Bedroom. Can you say overkill?! But the price was good! So on to my question.

I noticed the Formats on the TV are less then what the Manuel says it has. On the TV I have Standard, Wide Expand and Zoom. It's Missing Narrow and 1 or 2 others. I have it on Standard and when I am watching the screen is stretched a tad. For Example the TBS logo in the bottom right corner only shows "TB". Is this the definition of "overscan"? Am I stuck watching a stretched screen? Its even stretched when I watch Netflix through my Roku. I have Comcast/Infinity and the box is a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD with ZERO Picture settings.

If someone could chime in on this I would appreciate it

Thank You
post #1190 of 1377 Old 12-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealswin View Post

I've attempted to attach an image of what my 60c10 is doing. Basically it's like a smeared image going from top left to lower right. It is more obvious on black background, but the problem is worsening, and of course Mits. support/warranty is not being very helpful. After a 'fix attempt' they say this is normal. And sorry, It wasn't like this 5 months ago and not my first DLP. Any thoughts, or ideas on what is causing this and how to correct?

i dont see anything in that pic, tell them to send u a new bulb, see if that fixes the problem , and did u show this to the repair guy? what did he say, when my tv had a problem i would call the repair people and they would call mitsubishi, that was a lot faster then me calling mitsubishi, then mitsubishi calling the repair people

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingQuad View Post

Hey Guys.. I just recently purchased a 60638 to grace my Bedroom. Can you say overkill?! But the price was good! So on to my question.

I noticed the Formats on the TV are less then what the Manuel says it has. On the TV I have Standard, Wide Expand and Zoom. It's Missing Narrow and 1 or 2 others. I have it on Standard and when I am watching the screen is stretched a tad. For Example the TBS logo in the bottom right corner only shows "TB". Is this the definition of "overscan"? Am I stuck watching a stretched screen? Its even stretched when I watch Netflix through my Roku. I have Comcast/Infinity and the box is a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD with ZERO Picture settings.

Thank You

if this is happening in all the inputs , with other devices , your screen needs to calibrated

call mitsubishi , tell them your problem, the repair guy will come to your house with a piece of paper with some codes on there
he will get in to the secret menu to adjust the screen ,
post #1191 of 1377 Old 12-09-2011, 05:25 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingQuad View Post

Thank You

Those three formats are the only formats for 1080p, 1080i and 720p HD signals which by definition are 16:9 shaped. The other formats are for 480i and 480p 4:3 shaped signals. Your cable box is upconverting everything to 1080i or 720p 16:9 and possibly stretching the 4:3 signals at the same time instead of adding black side bars. This is outside of the TV control. Check your cable box menus again for picture size/shape options and output resolution options. If you want to keep the output resolution (1080i or 720p) as is then change the size/shape options to add side bars to 4:3 signals. If you cannot find these in the standard user menu of the cable box then it is in a hidden menu for the cable box. Here you may need others help to get to them or your cable company may be able to help.

While the TV does have overscan, it is no more than 3% on a side and that should leave everything in an original HD signal in the safe zone visible. However when a 4:3 signal is stretched, this may push something outside of the safe zone.
post #1192 of 1377 Old 12-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

He said it was also happening on the roku ^^
post #1193 of 1377 Old 12-10-2011, 05:41 AM

[quote=TatorTot;21325816]i dont see anything in that pic, tell them to send u a new bulb, see if that fixes the problem , and did u show this to the repair guy? what did he say, when my tv had a problem i would call the repair people and they would call mitsubishi, that was a lot faster then me calling mitsubishi, then mitsubishi calling the repair people

You really can't see the rainbow color smear going up and to the left of the text??
After the unit went off to the repair center they said that this is normal for DLP. I disagreed with them, but they simply said sorry....nothing can be done to fix it. I've had this case ongoing with Mitsubishi support since Oct 5th. I'm just getting frustrated with no response from Mitsubishi so I figured I'd ask the experts here.
post #1194 of 1377 Old 12-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

No sorry i don't see anything , but i dont have 20/20 vision
post #1195 of 1377 Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Thanx TaterTot and GEP for the Replys and Info
post #1196 of 1377 Old 01-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

So has anybody here had to replace a lamp since buying there 2010 dlp ?
post #1197 of 1377 Old 01-21-2012, 04:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

So has anybody here had to replace a lamp since buying there 2010 dlp ?

no me ...knock on wood

check my about me to see my HT gear

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=7747546
post #1198 of 1377 Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 PM

no bulb replacement yet, and it's a rare day that our 60638 doesn't get at least 8 hours of use.
In service date 12/23/2011.

Marabunta
post #1199 of 1377 Old 01-21-2012, 07:19 PM

[quote=tealswin;21327598]
Quote:

i dont see anything in that pic, tell them to send u a new bulb, see if that fixes the problem , and did u show this to the repair guy? what did he say, when my tv had a problem i would call the repair people and they would call mitsubishi, that was a lot faster then me calling mitsubishi, then mitsubishi calling the repair people

You really can't see the rainbow color smear going up and to the left of the text??
After the unit went off to the repair center they said that this is normal for DLP. I disagreed with them, but they simply said sorry....nothing can be done to fix it. I've had this case ongoing with Mitsubishi support since Oct 5th. I'm just getting frustrated with no response from Mitsubishi so I figured I'd ask the experts here.

Just so you don't worry about being crazy... yes, I see it, plain as day.. and yes, I'd be annoyed too.
post #1200 of 1377 Old 01-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

I got an extra lamp as backup

Saving it for a rainy day
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List