AVS Forum banner

2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (638 series)

212K views 1K replies 205 participants last post by  Augerhandle 
#1 ·
I did not see a thread for the 638 series.

I was not able to find a lot of information on this model which I recently purchased from dell.

I'll take a shot and create a thread on the 638 series.

638 Description:

An affordable way to get into 3D viewing, the 73-inch Mitsubishi WD-73638 1080p Home Cinema HDTV features DLP technology, which is up to 1,000 times faster than LCD technology--providing for a more realistic, sharper 2D and 3D viewing experience. It comes equipped with 3D-ready viewing technology, providing the best option for enjoying 3D content in the home.

Mitsubishi's 73-inch Diamond Series WD-73638 1080p DLP Home Cinema HDTV utilizes the same core DLP technology that's used in the vast majority of 3D movie theaters. DLP technology is up to 1,000 times faster than LCD technology--providing for a more realistic, sharper 2D and 3D viewing experience. It comes equipped with 3D-ready viewing technology, providing the best option for enjoying 3D content in the home.

The 638 Series features Mitsubishi's 6-Color Processor, which offers crisp, bright, realistic color that produces whiter whites and a wider range of color, plus a 120hz sub-frame rate to ensure a blur-free picture during fast action movies and fast-paced sports. Other features include three HDMI ports, stereo speakers with 20 watts of total power, and Energy Star 4.0 qualification.

Key Features

73-inch Digital Light Processing (DLP) panel uses Texas Instruments Digital Light Processing technology for rear-projection TVs to create the picture you see on screen.

3D Ready Experience the new 3D technologies applied to many recent movies and video games. Immerse yourself in your favorite video game, movie, or sporting event displayed in 3D (requires optional 3D eyewear).

1080p Full HD resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels)

Mitsubishi's Plush1080p upscaling.Plush1080p 5G 12-Bit video processing converts lower-resolution signals to 1080p to eliminate jagged pixelated imagery.

120Hz Sub-Frame Rate for more fluid, natural motion from fast-moving video such as sports, action movies, and more.

6-Color Processor takes the three primary colors (red, green, and blue) of the video signal and extracts three secondary colors (cyan, yellow, magenta) in order to individually process each color for greater accuracy.

2 stereo speakers (10w x 2) for 20 watts of total power

Dolby Digital 5.1 sound processing

Integrated HDTV tuner receives both over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (received via an antenna) and non-scrambled digital cable broadcasts, including non-scrambled HDTV cable programming.

HDMI Control (CEC): HDMI devices with Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) capabilities may be compatible with the TV's HDMI Control feature. Compatible devices can receive control signals through the HDMI connection, allowing the TV's remote control to operate some functions of these devices.

Energy Star 4.0 qualified

v43 Service Manual - https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CKaWseYC

See less See more
#3 ·
How many ways to do you need to cut the baby? A 638 thread seems to me a slice or two too far.

If the controls provided are not adequate to adjust the display, and they are NOT, then you might consider buying an external box like an Anchor Bay DVDO Duo video processor with full CMS. One could make a good argument that the controls provided on all the Mits Lamp based DLPs are inadequate to properly calibrate them.

The Duo will cost nearly what your set cost, but it will give you the capability to adjust the set to the limts of the light engine/screen design.

#5 ·
I want to say i set mine to one of the defaults (natural?), and it looks decent. I'll check for sure when i get home. Shoulda seen the look on the geek squad guy's face when we figured out that there was no way to calibrate it. He wasn't happy that i was getting a refund.

and about the DVDO processor, if it's the same price as the tv, then instead of buying that, take the tv back and pick up a 738 or an 838.

#6 ·
I'll say this, I am a current C9 owner (it's still working flawlesslly), and just had my 73638 delivered. I know that the 638 doesn't have the deeper menu-level adjustments that are available on the higher-end models, but I never touched any of those on my 73C9 and was able to get a picture that blows away the 50" LCD I'm currently staring at.

#7 ·
Just got my 73638, I have had 2006 and 2008 73 inch from Mit and this picture is substantially better, in detail and color. I like the simpler sets, this one is all about the picture, much improved, uses the same stand as my 2008, I believe this is a 2011 model. Sound is slightly less than previous 72736. The bulb is a lower wattage so should help in energy usage, longevity for bulb and light engine.

#8 ·
I just ordered a 60638, does anyone know if this qualifies for the free 3d starter kit? I thought it was all 2010 models but according to the PDF after you fill out the form it does not list the 638 series, has anyone gotten their 638 model approved for the free 3d set?

Also does anyone have any decent color settings that they would like to share? I know calibration changes to match specific needs but i'd like to see what other people are setting their sets to.

#10 ·
I've searched through and seen this asked a few times, but never actually answered. Please can someone in the know tell the difference between the WDxx638 vs WDxxC10 models ?

According to mitsu's spec sheet, the only listed difference is the C10 has HDMI CE Control. But from other opinions on forums, it appears the 638 is a step "above" the C10 series ? If this is true, why would the C10 have an additional feature the 638 doesn't ?

Currently i'm looking to get a 65", which is currently on sale from Dell for $1099, free s/h, and if i'm correct, I would qualify for the free 3D starter kit from their promotion running @ www(.)mitsubishi3dtv(.)net

Thanks for any help !!

#12 ·
great deal on the C10!

FYI to anybody going the 3D route, if you don't qualify for the 3D Starter kit, don't fret. I went with the 3DA-1 converter box stand alone, and using the Optoma BG-ZD101 DLP-Link glasses and it works great. My setup is PS3 & DirecTV, going into the Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver, 3DA-1, then my 65638. After hooking everything up, making sure the converter was on, I powered up my PS3 and it instantly recognized that it was hooked up to a 3DTV and asked me to confirm the feature.

3D games look epic, tried out WipeOut HD in 3D, pretty wild, along with MotorStorm 3D Rift demo.

Downloaded 3D trailers from the web, transferred them to my PS3, upon opening them you have to manually turn 3D on with the box and set the mode. Quality of course depends on the file, but the 3D worked out great. Programming on DTV and videos/games on the PS3 automatically turns on the 3D mode, on the box; DTV you may need to set to L/R as opposed to Top/Bottom, automatically recognizes the Frame Packing mode from the PS3 for the native 3D media.

#13 ·
Just got my shipping info from tiger direct and it appears they are shipping the wd65638 instead of the wd65c10. Can't see any difference fron the spec sheet except as noted in post above but weight is slightly more. Anybody got a guess what the diff between these models might actually be?

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetsonaw /forum/post/19416062

great deal on the C10!

FYI to anybody going the 3D route, if you don't qualify for the 3D Starter kit, don't fret. I went with the 3DA-1 converter box stand alone, and using the Optoma BG-ZD101 DLP-Link glasses and it works great. My setup is PS3 & DirecTV, going into the Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver, 3DA-1, then my 65638. After hooking everything up, making sure the converter was on, I powered up my PS3 and it instantly recognized that it was hooked up to a 3DTV and asked me to confirm the feature.

3D games look epic, tried out WipeOut HD in 3D, pretty wild, along with MotorStorm 3D Rift demo.

Downloaded 3D trailers from the web, transferred them to my PS3, upon opening them you have to manually turn 3D on with the box and set the mode. Quality of course depends on the file, but the 3D worked out great. Programming on DTV and videos/games on the PS3 automatically turns on the 3D mode, on the box; DTV you may need to set to L/R as opposed to Top/Bottom, automatically recognizes the Frame Packing mode from the PS3 for the native 3D media.

Do you notice the dreaded black crush when watching 2d thru the adapter? Others have had to go to various switching schemes to eliminate the adapter from the signal path on older versions of our sets.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDoug /forum/post/19419994

Just got my shipping info from tiger direct and it appears they are shipping the wd65638 instead of the wd65c10. Can't see any difference fron the spec sheet except as noted in post above but weight is slightly more. Anybody got a guess what the diff between these models might actually be?

no clue man, i've tried looking on the site for differences too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaDoug /forum/post/19420040

Do you notice the dreaded black crush when watching 2d thru the adapter? Others have had to go to various switching schemes to eliminate the adapter from the signal path on older versions of our sets.

Haven't noticed any problem like that, although i do have this year's model.

#21 ·
I am late to the party, but I am happy to join the club. Just picked up a 60638 at Ultimate Electronics for $599. Having upgraded from a Samsung HLS4266, I am blown away by the picture quality, and disappointed in just how bad Comcast's broadcasts are.

I think the only issue i have right now is that the audio has some/moderate background hiss, but that may be again from the comcast box (not currently using HDMI)...

#25 ·
So, i got another question - i threw on my HDMI cable on my comcast box, and while the audio hiss is gone, i noticed something else - the TV has some real problems with gradients.

I am thinking that it is Comcast,, but has anyone else noticed sever banding on gradients? I love the TV, but i want to make sure it isn't having any issues. The picture looks great otherwise, but i cannot test anything else but cable right now, since we are in the process of moving, and everything is packed up.. heh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.