The Defective Mitsubishi DLP TV Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #271 of 289 Old 01-22-2015, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I purchased a WD-65C10 and have the white spot monster too. Pity since I've had the set for 4 years, don't have any kids and it's seldom used. I bought extended warranty, which is of course expired now. I'll try to contact them and see if they'll hook me up. Such a nice unit, it's too bad they are plagued by this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 289 Old 01-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yet another dead Mitsubishi

I just got off the phone, and they're still offering the same deal: Offer the "free" chip, but charge $200 for labor. I didn't take them up on it. Most likely I will kick this to the curb. For $200 I can buy a plasma set on clearance!
post #273 of 289 Old 01-22-2015, 11:28 AM

How do you know how many hours you have on your lamp, does the set report run time somewhere?
post #274 of 289 Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 830
On the remote, press MENU, 2, 4, 7, 0.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #275 of 289 Old 01-22-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadamamasboy View Post
How do you know how many hours you have on your lamp, does the set report run time somewhere?

As Alan posted press MENU then 2 4 7 0 on the remote then hit MENU again to get outta there. This will show you the TOTAL hours on the TV but not the total hours on the lamp unless it's the original.

Ed
post #276 of 289 Old 01-22-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx97206 View Post
I just got off the phone, and they're still offering the same deal: Offer the "free" chip, but charge $200 for labor. I didn't take them up on it. Most likely I will kick this to the curb. For $200 I can buy a plasma set on clearance!

WOW, that's one heck of a deal on that plasma!

Ed
post #277 of 289 Old 01-23-2015, 05:22 AM

Thanks for the reply! I tried that (multiple times) and it didn't work. Maybe the menu got changed? My 65C10 was made December 2010. I went through the options to see if there was another way in but don't see anything.
post #278 of 289 Old 01-23-2015, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 830
You have to hit the sequence of keys pretty quickly.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #279 of 289 Old 01-24-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadamamasboy View Post
Thanks for the reply! I tried that (multiple times) and it didn't work. Maybe the menu got changed? My 65C10 was made December 2010. I went through the options to see if there was another way in but don't see anything.

To try to clarify:

Press the MENU button on your remote.

Press the numbers 2,4,7,0 on your remote.

The total number of hours your TV has been operated will display along with some other data.

After you have noted the number of hours, THEN press the MENU button to exit.

You don't have to look for any options, etc. after pressing MENU initially. You enter
2 4 70 and the hours will be displayed. I said to hit MENU again just to exit as you don't want to mess around with anything else in there. I'm quite sure this procedure applies to your TV.

Ed
post #280 of 289 Old 01-28-2015, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Aldo.Raine View Post
Do you guys think getting a new DLP Chip will fix the white clouding effect i am getting? You can only really see it when you are watching a dark scene. Thanks

Attachment 350690
Yes it will fix it. i changed my dlp chip today and if ypou look close you can see all the white dots on dlp chip and the white bleed on dark scenes you can also see that on dlp chip.
Now my problem is the picture is sorta tilted and now i need to fix it.
post #281 of 289 Old 02-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Even though free labor would be awesome you could get the chip and try to do it yourself or even sell the chip with the tv on craigslist. i wouldn't just toss the tv and pass on the chip.
post #282 of 289 Old 02-12-2015, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
i take that back. Mitsi will only give you the dlp chip if you let them install it. It still feels wrong paying $200 for something i can do myself.
post #283 of 289 Old 02-23-2015, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've acquired a wd-62725 from a family member but the picture is bent / bowed upwards on the bottom, and it's not a consistent curve either. He said it was fine before I picked it up so I'm wondering if it got jostled too hard in the bed of the truck when I picked it up, and now something is out of alignment. It doesn't seem to be a shadow like seen when the "light tunnel" needs to be adjusted, according to a youtube video I found for that repair. Has anyone seen this before? Should I start a new thread for my issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150222_171954.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	564057  
post #284 of 289 Old 02-23-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower742 View Post
I've acquired a wd-62725 from a family member but the picture is bent / bowed upwards on the bottom, and it's not a consistent curve either. He said it was fine before I picked it up so I'm wondering if it got jostled too hard in the bed of the truck when I picked it up, and now something is out of alignment. It doesn't seem to be a shadow like seen when the "light tunnel" needs to be adjusted, according to a youtube video I found for that repair. Has anyone seen this before? Should I start a new thread for my issue?
First, check that your stand is perfectly level, and that there is nothing caught between the TV and stand (power cord, old pencil, etc.) If all is fine there, you may have dislodged the bottom of the mirror or something during moving. See if you can find info on Geometry adjustments. I know the newer sets are adjustable.

Service manual here:

http://www.download-service-manuals....08s8qkr9ejntm2

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #285 of 289 Old 02-23-2015, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
you may have dislodged the bottom of the mirror or something during moving. See if you can find info on Geometry adjustments. I know the newer sets are adjustable.
Thanks for your reply! That actually helped a little, I was able to move the picture down to cover part of that curve! It's still there but I feel like I'm getting closer. Between the electronic and manual adjustments, I was able to move the picture but it didn't affect the actual curve itself, but the fact that the shadow was moving suggests there might be a problem with the mirror. Can it be removed for dusting, repair, replacement? The whole screen is also pretty blotchy so I think the mirror might be dusty, but I didn't see instructions for this in the service manual.
post #286 of 289 Old 02-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Huge mistake. I had the $200 fix and it was well worth it. I have an 82 inch screen....please point me to an 82 inch plasma for $200.
old corps likes this.
post #287 of 289 Old 03-07-2015, 03:43 PM

Liked: 10
I hope the phone line still works.

I'm having this problem with my WD-60735. I thought it was just 1 white pixel, but I just noticed there's a dozen black ones.
I called the 800 customer service number but said that line is closed and it's open from 7 AM to 5 PM. It was almost 4 PM here in Maine when I called and there's no place that's later than me in the US. I hope the line still works. Maybe they're in India or something.
post #288 of 289 Old 03-13-2015, 11:22 AM

Liked: 1
Just had my DLP chip replaced for $200

I had bought a WD-73736 on Craigslist for $200. It was a 2008 but worked fine for my basement. Had it 6 months and started seeing the white dot problem. After reading up on it and Mitsubishi offering replacement, I called Mitsubishi. They asked where I bought it, I said "I think at the Big Screen Store". Asked if has been services before. Said "No". Like I had any idea on either question. I described the problem and said I had heard there was a recall on the DLP chip. They operator said hold on a minute and came back with the offer to replace it for free with the $200 labor cost. I had already taken it all apart to clean everything so I knew how easy to was to replace. The amount of dust buildup on the heat sink was pretty bad.
The chip is ~$175 most places. I figured for $200, let someone else do it and take the risk of breaking that stupid ribbon connector. Service guy just got done and picture looks great again.
I am actually very surprised that Mitsubishi would even offer this on a 7 year old tv way out of warranty. The service guy said he sees these lasting 4-6 years. After taking mine apart, I'm guessing with a fairly regular take apart and clean and even put new thermal compound on the chip it will last a long time. It really only takes ~20 minutes to get t the heatsink and chip.
old corps likes this.
post #289 of 289 Unread Today, 05:24 AM

Screen All Green

Hi Guys.. I have a 73" WD-73c11, I woke up this morning and I have picture but the only color I have is Green. Perfect sound and every thing else works, I went through all settings and all is good, also did a reset.. This happened once before when it was under warranty and a tech came out to replace a Board. My question is what board would he have replaced? I know I can change it myself.
Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page