The Defective Mitsubishi DLP TV Owners Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 238 Old 04-27-2013, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My 65734's lamp went out at 14930 hours, just replaced it with an $85 Phillips unit yesterday.

YMMV I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 238 Old 04-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starquester View Post

My 65734's lamp went out at 14930 hours, just replaced it with an $85 Phillips unit yesterday.

YMMV I suppose.

That is excellent life out of it. I buy the Osram lamps and I usually get about 4800 hours out of them before they start flickering. I replace mine when they begin to flicker instead of going out completely. Maybe I'll try the Philips next, but I JUST installed my 3rd lamp and STILL have a 4th backup Osram lamp waiting. I'm sure the two used lamps I have are still good for 2000 more hours, but letting them flicker might damage the ballast.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #213 of 238 Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

That is excellent life out of it. I buy the Osram lamps and I usually get about 4800 hours out of them before they start flickering. I replace mine when they begin to flicker instead of going out completely. Maybe I'll try the Philips next, but I JUST installed my 3rd lamp and STILL have a 4th backup Osram lamp waiting. I'm sure the two used lamps I have are still good for 2000 more hours, but letting them flicker might damage the ballast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starquester View Post

YMMV I suppose.
Does everyone just buy replacement bulbs on ebay? I am not sure I want to spend $120 to get one from mitsubishi if they have phillips / osram lamps on ebay for $85. I have a wd-73c9. Thanks.
post #214 of 238 Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayziekmf View Post

Does everyone just buy replacement bulbs on ebay? I am not sure I want to spend $120 to get one from mitsubishi if they have phillips / osram lamps on ebay for $85. I have a wd-73c9. Thanks.

Both Osram and Philips make fine lamps, just don't buy the $38 Chinese knockoffs.

A couple recommended sellers: Dynamic Lamps on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/shops/dynamiclamps and Nio on eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/neilampsandelectronics
post #215 of 238 Old 04-29-2013, 05:30 PM

Thanks! I picked up a Philips lamp.
post #216 of 238 Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 AM

Mitsubishi WD-57831 DLP -- I'm blessed with what looks like a NEW PROBLEM with this set. No references to it here in our forum.
The set has stopped responding to ANY remote commands - on/off, volume, nothing happens.
Remote has always worked fine until I powered system down last night. Cable, soundbar, video processor (DVDO Duo) all powered off as normal but TV went to blue screen. Had to power off with front panel power button. Powered TV on the same way this morning.
I tried Reset - no luck.
Recycled power (unplugged) - nothing
Has anyone had or heard of this problem with the Mits DLP? Any suggestions about what's wrong or how to determine the problem?

It's the Amps!
post #217 of 238 Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 PM

Mitsubishi WD-65734 - Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place or not. I had to replace my color wheel a couple of years ago. Thank goodness I had an extended warranty on my unit. I'm having a new problem arise. Across the top left side of the screen I'm seeing what is like a rainbow effect across the screen surrounded by darker shades. I've had to replace the bulb a couple of times on this tv and had saved my last bulb that didn't completely blow. I put in my old bulb and I'm getting the same rainbow line across the screen. I thought the bulb I was using might need to be replaced.? Could the lens need cleaning? Anyone have any suggestions or direction as to where I could look for a possible solution?

Thanks for your time.
post #218 of 238 Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 PM

Don't pay more than $60 for a lamp with housing. Just search for the part number on eBay and they come up in spades. I've used them for a bunch of different TVs and always had great luck.

I just bought one for my particular DLP model, literally 10 minutes ago for $34 shipped, including CA sales tax from a very reputable seller.
post #219 of 238 Old 08-20-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Anderson View Post

Don't pay more than $60 for a lamp with housing. Just search for the part number on eBay and they come up in spades. I've used them for a bunch of different TVs and always had great luck.

I just bought one for my particular DLP model, literally 10 minutes ago for $34 shipped, including CA sales tax from a very reputable seller.

Unless those are OEM lamps you're finding, that's not good advice considering all the negative consequences people have reported by using non OEM lamps.
post #220 of 238 Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Anderson View Post

Your first post? Hmmmm.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #221 of 238 Old 08-23-2013, 06:55 PM

Liked: 12
My first non oem lamp lasted approximately 3 months, and the replacement was dead on arrival. Went with an oem after that and it's been going strong now 8 months, unfortunately I got the white and black dot disease a couple of weeks ago. I ordered the chip online for 180.00 and it took about 25-30 mins to install in my WD60735 and now my picture once again looks awesome.
post #222 of 238 Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 AM

Well guys, lightning zapped what I think is my power board on my WD-65734. After looking all over the place for repair shops and not finding any, I have decided to just part out my tv. So if anyone needs a complete light engine for this tv along with a bulb that is about a year old but not a ton of use, email me at the address below or send me a p.m. My unit was manufactured in May 2007 and it has already had the DLP chip replaced under warranty for the white spot issue. I would be happy to send you pics of the unit. I'm not going to ask for a fortune; just a little to take the sting out of a new t.v. phishman000@aol.com And those are zeros at the end of my email, not the letter "o".
post #223 of 238 Old 09-06-2013, 06:24 PM

I have the Mitsubishi WD-65737. I purchased it back in June of 2010 and it worked fine until July of this year. The Bulb finally went out (really a lot of use on the bulb) so I was happy with that. Bought new OEM and put in. Now this past week or two I have noticed at various places around the screen a bright white dot. It started with one and now is up to five in a week. I have read all the problems everyone has had with the DLP Chip and want to know if Mitsubishi has sent any replacement chips to an individual to fix this problem for free? That is what I am trying to do now, due to the large number of complaints about this same issue.
I will let you know what Mitsu says about it.
post #224 of 238 Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 PM

I worked with Mitsubishi, who out of the kindest of their hearts, arranged to have a vendor come in and replace the DLP chip for a modest cost of $200.
They made me feel all warm and fuzzy by pointing out that the manufacturers warranty had expired, but they would do this just for me, send the chip to the vendor for FREE. All I have to do is pay the vendor to install it.
Now replacing the light is easy enough, however, I wasn't going to attempt replacing the DLP chip myself.
I accepted their offer and a week later the vendor came out and fixed it. All is good for now.
post #225 of 238 Old 10-14-2013, 09:22 AM

So I called the number 1-800-332-2119 and they are kind of good willing me the part. Forcing me to use a tv installer to put the chip in at an out of pocket cost of 200. Not exactly what I was hoping for and I did try and try to get them to send me the chip directly. It did not happen, but they are going to comp me a new bulb for the TV and are even going to allow me to install the bulb myself. I did have to ask about them letting me install the bulb and the guy said it was very easy so I did not need a tv installer. I said I know it is easy but so is installing the chip, and you are not letting me do that. I have had much better luck from other companies that have sold defective equipment and good willed parts like GE. Not sure if I would ever buy a mitsubishi tv again.

post #226 of 238 Old 03-20-2014, 04:54 PM

Liked: 11

I own a Mitsubishi DLP 65736, purchased it in 2008. We started getting white and black dots on our screen. After doing some internet research on what is causing the dots I found this page. I thought it would be a long shot to call Mitsubishi since the TV is 6 yrs old, out of warranty and low and behold my 5yr extended warranty expired Dec of 2013. Other than having a difficult time understanding the Mitsubishi customer support person, they agreed to order the part and have it sent to a local service center to have the part replaced. My cost would be 200.00  Calling Mitsubishi if you are having the white/black dot issues is worth it!  Their number is, 1-800-332-2119

old corps likes this.
post #227 of 238 Old 03-21-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone Have Picture Problems after Mitsubishi DMD Chip Replacement? 

See this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1523680/anyone-have-picture-problems-after-mitsubishi-dmd-chip-replacement

I apologize for cross-posting, but I need feedback from others with new chips.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #228 of 238 Old 04-22-2014, 05:08 PM

I believe labor should not take more than 20 minutes once the technician begins the dissassembly process, so the $200 they are asking are really to cover the cost of the part, labor, and some profit too. Not worth it. I would never buy Mitsubish again, NEVER.

post #229 of 238 Old 04-23-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The $200 needs to cover the technicians time not just at your place but the drive to and from, cost of the van, maintenance & insurance; the secretary's time spent setting up and scheduling the appointment; workmen's compensation, unemployment insurance, shop overhead such as rent, utilities and insurance; oh and yeah there's a little left over for profit to feed the kids.

post #230 of 238 Old 04-26-2014, 08:25 PM

FYI, DMD chips made prior to Oct 2010 are subject to pixelization,a  known issue. Many manf provide FOC parts not sure about labor

post #231 of 238 Old 05-28-2014, 10:01 PM

Got off the phone earlier with Mitsubishi. Just like was discussed here, they are sending a new chip to be installed by a technician for $200. This is for my WD-65835.

Will update after the install.
post #232 of 238 Old 05-29-2014, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post

Got off the phone earlier with Mitsubishi. Just like was discussed here, they are sending a new chip to be installed by a technician for $200. This is for my WD-65835.

Please check for this problem after the chip is replaced

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1523680/anyone-have-picture-problems-after-mitsubishi-dmd-chip-replacement

post #233 of 238 Old 05-29-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1523680/anyone-have-picture-problems-after-mitsubishi-dmd-chip-replacement
I will definitely look for that. It should be very obvious to me.
post #234 of 238 Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 AM

I have the white dots too! After reading this thread I called Mitsubishi and they are sending out a technician with the free chip for $ 200. My set is 2009 WD65837. Thanks for the info.
post #235 of 238 Old 06-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by abi99 View Post

I believe labor should not take more than 20 minutes once the technician begins the dissassembly process, so the $200 they are asking are really to cover the cost of the part, labor, and some profit too. Not worth it. I would never buy Mitsubish again, NEVER.

I have 2 Mitsu DLP's, A 70 something (for over 5 years) and an 82 inch for my main home theater. Once properly calibrated, I have a TV (fits perfectly in my CRT cutout, logs like a flat screen) that is every bit as good as another type TV, at one quarter of the price.

I have 30K in my home theater. I also have the white dots.

$200 is absolutely reasonable to fix it. Any type of repair person will want $100 just to pull in your driveway.
post #236 of 238 Old 06-03-2014, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 65
My old Mitsubishi DLP TV lasted over 12 years before the dots appeared. Given its age I chose to recycle rather than repair it especially since it needed a new lamp too.
post #237 of 238 Old 06-05-2014, 01:59 PM

I have a WD-73738 - it is about 4 years old. Last night the TV went into this "checkerboard mode." At first I thought it may be the signal, but after trying various inputs, I realized it was the set. I turned the set off for a while, and eventually after an hour or so the picture started to come back. This morning it was crystal clear.

The other evening, it did it again, but this time it has not made it back to normal. I have attached a picture of the issue. Any ideas what may be going on?

My AVR is a Denon AVR-2312CI. I use HDMI connections only. I swapped out the WD-73738 with another TV, and the other TV worked fine. I also tried switching the cables (from all sources - BluRay, Sat box, etc) - all produced the same results as in the linked picture.

Thanks!!

http://www.handyville.com/rube/008.JPG
post #238 of 238 Old 06-13-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Soulburner 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1523680/an...ip-replacement
Install went smoothly, took maybe 30 minutes, and perfect image afterward.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page