The Defective Mitsubishi DLP TV Owners Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
post #241 of 268 Old 10-13-2014, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, trying to problem solve an issue I've recently developed on my WD65-733.

I bought this TV in Fall of 2007 and just had to replace the bulb for the first time in September of this year. I replaced with a Phillips that advertised itself as an OEM bulb.

About two weeks ago I had to pull the bulb because I bug got in there and was flying around in front of the light. Ever since reseating the bulb on a screen that should be fully black, I have grey blotching. This does not occur on top of any other color, and is only seen on what should be fully black screens or black backgrounds with text on top of the black like with some movie menus or video games.

Any thoughts on what is causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 268 Old 10-26-2014, 10:20 PM

bump
post #243 of 268 Old 10-27-2014, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofus View Post
Ever since reseating the bulb on a screen that should be fully black, I have grey blotching. This does not occur on top of any other color, and is only seen on what should be fully black screens or black backgrounds with text on top of the black like with some movie menus or video games.

Any thoughts on what is causing this?
Something, dust or whatever, got on the bulb reflector or somewhere in the optical path that is reflecting light where it is not supposed to be and that light ends up on the screen to cause the blotch noticeable during dark scenes.
post #244 of 268 Old 10-27-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin View Post
Something, dust or whatever, got on the bulb reflector or somewhere in the optical path that is reflecting light where it is not supposed to be and that light ends up on the screen to cause the blotch noticeable during dark scenes.
Is it fine to clean the bulb with some windex?
post #245 of 268 Old 11-03-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys,

Can a failing DLP chip cause graininess?

My WD73-737 has developed a few stuck mirrors, got new chip on the way, but I've also noticed that solid black screens have gotten super grainy and less black. Overall the picture doesn't seem quite right these days.

The other day when I turned it on all I saw was this weird green hue on the screen, no picture no menus. I shut it off and came back later to check and it worked fine again.

Is there something else that could be wrong with my tv? I'm still on the original lamp since 2009.

Thanks
post #246 of 268 Old 11-05-2014, 02:55 PM

Liked: 12
Do you guys think getting a new DLP Chip will fix the white clouding effect i am getting? You can only really see it when you are watching a dark scene. Thanks

Attachment 350690

BASEMENT HOME THEATER - EPSON 5030UB 2D/3D PROJECTOR W/ 100" ELITE SCREEN - RECEIVER - HARMON KARDON 1710 7.2
FRONT SPEAKERS - INFINITY PRIMUS P363 CENTER SPEAKER INFINITY PRIMUS PC351 - SIDES AND REARS POLK AUDIO 30'S + 40'S SUBWOOFERS PREMIER ACOUSTIC PA-120 650 WATT TITANIUM + POLK AUDIO PSW110
post #247 of 268 Old 11-09-2014, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Aldo.Raine View Post
Do you guys think getting a new DLP Chip will fix the white clouding effect i am getting? You can only really see it when you are watching a dark scene. Thanks

Attachment 350690
You can confirm that the issue is the same in a completely dark room?
post #248 of 268 Old 11-09-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Aldo.Raine View Post

Attachment 350690
I wouldn't replace the chip unless you're getting the stuck pixels issue. What model TV is it? More than likely, it's caused by dust in the optical path, but some models actually accumulate a haze on one of the inner lenses. Mitsubishi 2007 (and possibility '06 & '08) lens cleaning procedure. No more halo's.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Last edited by Augerhandle; 11-09-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added link
post #249 of 268 Old 11-10-2014, 06:17 PM

Ok, I cleaned my bulb. I had also noticed that some residue from air cleaner got onto the little glass screen between the color wheel and the bulb. I pulled that and cleaned it and carefully reinstalled by the edges.

It appears that was not the issue. I have developed about 7 white spots and a hazy gray over the whole screen since my last post. It is like you're looking at the picture through a screen door now.

I've read that there are various white spot issues. I seem to have two. Some are permanent white dots that are always present. 1 or 2 are the "black hole" variety that are white dots until something black appears behind it.

Does this sound like the DLP chip? If so, someone mentioned that Mitsubishi replaced their chip for free? Was the TV under warranty or recall for them to do this? My set is about 7 years old. I will call them, but some insider info would be helpful.
post #250 of 268 Old 11-11-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok, I cleaned my bulb. I had also noticed that some residue from air cleaner got onto the little glass screen between the color wheel and the bulb. I pulled that and cleaned it and carefully reinstalled by the edges.

It appears that was not the issue. I have developed about 7 white spots and a hazy gray over the whole screen since my last post. It is like you're looking at the picture through a screen door now.

I've read that there are various white spot issues. I seem to have two. Some are permanent white dots that are always present. 1 or 2 are the "black hole" variety that are white dots until something black appears behind it.

Does this sound like the DLP chip? If so, someone mentioned that Mitsubishi replaced their chip for free? Was the TV under warranty or recall for them to do this? My set is about 7 years old. I will call them, but some insider info would be helpful.
Call them. They replaced my chip for free. TV was 5 years old.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #251 of 268 Old 11-12-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Call them. They replaced my chip for free. TV was 5 years old.
Were you charged for installation? All my local tv guys charge about $200 for install and Mitsu said they'd send me the chip for free. But I can buy the chip for $200 and install myself, so it seems tit for tat if I can't get the service call charge free as well.
post #252 of 268 Old 11-12-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Were you charged for installation? All my local tv guys charge about $200 for install and Mitsu said they'd send me the chip for free. But I can buy the chip for $200 and install myself, so it seems tit for tat if I can't get the service call charge free as well.

They paid for everything, including installation. They first tried to charge $200 for the install, and I POLITELY insisted that it was a known defect, and that TI was supplying the chip to them for free, so they should replace it for free. The CSR responded with an offer to throw in a free lamp, which I refused, saying I just bought a lamp. After some more POLITE haggling, they agreed to replace it free of charge if I signed a Confidential Settlement and Release....

If they install it, they are responsible for any issues that may or may not arise, so I would definitely recommend letting them install it, no matter what you negotiate.

post #253 of 268 Old 11-14-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
They paid for everything, including installation. They first tried to charge $200 for the install, and I POLITELY insisted that it was a known defect, and that TI was supplying the chip to them for free, so they should replace it for free. The CSR responded with an offer to throw in a free lamp, which I refused, saying I just bought a lamp. After some more POLITE haggling, they agreed to replace it free of charge if I signed a Confidential Settlement and Release....

If they install it, they are responsible for any issues that may or may not arise, so I would definitely recommend letting them install it, no matter what you negotiate.

I have a Mitsu WD 60737 that I got from Mitsu as replacement to a previous model dlp I had. I've had it for about four years now and it has started with the black spots and now a bright white spot. From what I've read, it's the DMD chip and was wondering how you went about getting Mitsu to replace it free of charge. Did you simply call them and say this is what my tv is doing and they took responsibility and offered up the chip and than the bargaining ensued? Thanks for any advice you can provide.
post #254 of 268 Old 11-14-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbohnert View Post
I have a Mitsu WD 60737 that I got from Mitsu as replacement to a previous model dlp I had. I've had it for about four years now and it has started with the black spots and now a bright white spot. From what I've read, it's the DMD chip and was wondering how you went about getting Mitsu to replace it free of charge. Did you simply call them and say this is what my tv is doing and they took responsibility and offered up the chip and than the bargaining ensued? Thanks for any advice you can provide.

My TV was also a warranty replacement for a previous model. They are aware of the issue. You have to let them know that you are aware as well, by telling them that it is a known defect, etc. and POLITELY insisting that they come through for you. Expect a long, drawn out negotiation. They offered to fix it for the $200 labor and I insisted that they were responsible, and should cover all of it. They then offered to fix it for the $200 labor and throw in a new lamp, and I told them I didn't need a lamp, just the chip replaced. Some take the lamp offer, which is also a good deal ($200 -144.60 = $55.40 net for the repair).

All in all, I can't say enough about Mitsubishi standing behind their product. Their out-sourced customer service department can be exasperating, though.

Last edited by Augerhandle; 11-14-2014 at 03:33 PM.
post #255 of 268 Old 11-14-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Did they require you to have a technician come out to your house first in order to "inspect the dots"? This is the push back I'm currently getting. I talked to a tech on Wed who told me it was without a doubt the DLP chip. But customer service is telling me that because I'm telling them I have white, gray, and black dots that they can't verify the problem and I need a technician to come to my house to physically assess the problem prior to them determining if they can provide me assistance (i.e. a free replacement part).
post #256 of 268 Old 11-14-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did they require you to have a technician come out to your house first in order to "inspect the dots"? This is the push back I'm currently getting. I talked to a tech on Wed who told me it was without a doubt the DLP chip. But customer service is telling me that because I'm telling them I have white, gray, and black dots that they can't verify the problem and I need a technician to come to my house to physically assess the problem prior to them determining if they can provide me assistance (i.e. a free replacement part).
Tell them the dots are just black and white, and pixel sizes diamonds. Barring that, tell them they must agree to pay the tech, assuming that he/she determines that the chip is bad.

post #257 of 268 Old 11-17-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujlemariecj View Post
I think a tv should last a little longer than this!
Agreed. I'm giving serious thought to writing off my losses and just buying the Samsung plasma.
post #258 of 268 Old 11-17-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujlemariecj View Post
I think a tv should last a little longer than this!
Well, YEAH. That's why they are repairing the problem, even though the TV is out of warranty. The chips are supposed to last way longer, but Texas Instruments had produced a bad run of them. Samsung DLPs are having the exact same issue, but try to get a Samsung fixed for free...

post #259 of 268 Old 11-25-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I have a WD-60C8 and currently have an issue that I can't find anyone having the same issue. It had the white dots problem and a screen shaking horizontally problem. I got Mitsubishi to send a dlp chip which fixed the white dots problem, but the other problems persist. After the TV is on for a little while it starts shaking horizontally and the picture goes off screen then comes back. Then eventually the tv turns off without any error codes.I don't hear any noise coming out of it like its a color wheel bearing going bad. I have a video that I'm going to upload as soon as I get a chance.
post #260 of 268 Old 12-02-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Well, YEAH. That's why they are repairing the problem, even though the TV is out of warranty. The chips are supposed to last way longer, but Texas Instruments had produced a bad run of them. Samsung DLPs are having the exact same issue, but try to get a Samsung fixed for free...
Augerhandle,

Thank you very much for your advice in this matter. I got the same treatment as you did. Only thing I'm sadden by is now I don't have an excuse to get a new plasma tv! Haha! Thank you again sir!
old corps likes this.
post #261 of 268 Old 12-02-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbohnert View Post
Augerhandle,

Thank you very much for your advice in this matter. I got the same treatment as you did. Only thing I'm sadden by is now I don't have an excuse to get a new plasma tv! Haha! Thank you again sir!
You are welcome! But don't thank me, thank AVSForum. I too learned about chip replacement (among a lot of other things) here in the forums. Enjoy your membership!
old corps likes this.

post #262 of 268 Old 12-11-2014, 09:05 PM

Waiver from Mitsubishi

WHO GOT THE WAIVER FROM MITSUBISHI? If you sign a waiver, they will pay for part and labor - I just need
names of people who have also got their tv fixed for free - Customer Service says if I tell them other people have a
free repair, they will fix mine free, too. ANYONE GET A WAIVER - LET ME KNOW WHO YOU ARE -
THANKS SUMMER

Quote:

post #263 of 268 Old 12-11-2014, 10:29 PM

Erm... The confidentiality notice is in place so people don't talk about supposed faulty chips and free repairs. No one that has received this is going to give you their name because they are legally bound not to say anything. But anyway, welcome to the Internet.
post #264 of 268 Old 12-11-2014, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerstjohns View Post
WHO GOT THE WAIVER FROM MITSUBISHI? If you sign a waiver, they will pay for part and labor - I just need
names of people who have also got their tv fixed for free - Customer Service says if I tell them other people have a
free repair, they will fix mine free, too. ANYONE GET A WAIVER - LET ME KNOW WHO YOU ARE -
THANKS SUMMER
You're not supposed to say you heard others got it free. You're supposed to be indignant, yet polite, and insist that they take care of you. Then let THEM make the offer. Looks like no free repair for you, and probably no one else, after this.

EDIT:

OR, since this is your very first post, you probably work for Mitsubishi, and your post is a ploy to find out who spilled the beans...

Anyway, as Roofus stated, anyone who actually waived their rights and agreed to confidentiality is NOT gonna tell you their names. Plus, I never agreed to the waiver, so my name won't do you any good.

Last edited by Augerhandle; 12-11-2014 at 11:56 PM.
post #265 of 268 Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Mitsubishi - Free Replacement chip

This is my first problem with my TV and I don't work for Mitsubishi. They wouldn't pay for the labor the first 2 times I
called. I told them that I know of people who got their tv fixed without paying the $200 for labor. Only when I said there
is a Waiver that people have signed, did I get the request for names. And yes, I tried polite, indignant, etc. but it depends
on who you get at Customer Service. You should let them know that others have received a Waiver and yes you should
tell them you want the same deal that others have gotten from Mitsubishi. You call them on it and ask why you shouldn't
get the same deal.

Quote:
You're not supposed to say you heard others got it free. You're supposed to be indignant, yet polite, and insist that they take care of you. Then let THEM make the offer. Looks like no free repair for you, and probably no one else, after this.

EDIT:

OR, since this is your very first post, you probably work for Mitsubishi, and your post is a ploy to find out who spilled the beans...

Anyway, as Roofus stated, anyone who actually waived their rights and agreed to confidentiality is NOT gonna tell you their names. Plus, I never agreed to the waiver, so my name won't do you any good.
post #266 of 268 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is my first problem with my TV and I don't work for Mitsubishi. They wouldn't pay for the labor the first 2 times I
called. I told them that I know of people who got their tv fixed without paying the $200 for labor. Only when I said there
is a Waiver that people have signed, did I get the request for names. And yes, I tried polite, indignant, etc. but it depends
on who you get at Customer Service. You should let them know that others have received a Waiver and yes you should
tell them you want the same deal that others have gotten from Mitsubishi. You call them on it and ask why you shouldn't
get the same deal.
And now they will stop giving the deal to ANYONE. All because of you letting the cat out of the bag. Good luck with your repair.

post #267 of 268 Unread Yesterday, 06:16 PM

Waiver

Request for Waiver does not effect anyone who asks Mitsubishi for it. 98% of the people on various forums are having to
pay $200 for labor. They think that's a good deal. The part is defective and no one should have to pay anything to have it
replaced. Asking for a waiver does not affect any future requests from others. The waiver just limits the liability with
Mitsubishi and is not a confidentiality agreement.

Quote:
get the same deal.
post #268 of 268 Unread Today, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Request for Waiver does not effect anyone who asks Mitsubishi for it. 98% of the people on various forums are having to
pay $200 for labor. They think that's a good deal. The part is defective and no one should have to pay anything to have it
replaced. Asking for a waiver does not affect any future requests from others. The waiver just limits the liability with
Mitsubishi and is not a confidentiality agreement.

I think you are misinformed. It is not a labor waiver. The consensus understanding is that they are doing this under a confidentiality notice. This would mean one cannot speak about the repair or libel Mitsu as they are admitting no fault.

I can't speak for myself, but their's no reason to get upset with CS or use harsh language. I would think of it more like a three step process.

Tell them about the problem: You have black and white pixel sized dots, thousands of them.
Step one may hypothetically be that they offer a replacement chip with $200 install for labor. If you were dissatisfied with this you may ask if they would check if there were other options. Hypothetically, they may check other options and offer a replacement chip and a free lamp + $200 install labor fee. Again, if you were so inclined you may ask them if there were other options because it's well known the chip is defective and Texas Instruments is supplying them for free and if the part weren't defective you wouldn't have to pay for labor in such a case. Maybe they come back with a third option that's more appealing.

But I can't speak from personal experience at this point.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page