Liked: 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 240 Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a WD-65735 that is less than 2 years old and I have already had to replace the lamp, but now I'm getting the white dots on the screen...up to six now and growing.

I think a tv should last a little longer than this!
post #3 of 240 Old 09-27-2010, 01:49 PM

Well think basically told me to pound sand!

The customer service lady, who was an idiot by the way, told that since I didn't buy my last lamp through them that it wouldn't be covered...I then had to re-explain to her that it WAS NOT the lamp.

She then said a tech would have to come tell me what was wrong. I told her i didn't think I should have to pay for it and she said that my tv was out of warranty...by less than a year btw..and that was what she could offer, so basically I'm SOL.

I sent them an email, but I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime I'll be shopping for a Plasma I guess, not going to back to a DLP and risking it.
post #4 of 240 Old 09-27-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindb View Post

I'm starting this thread so that we can have all the info about these defective Mitsubishi tv's in one spot. Mine is the WD-65833, and is only 2 years old, and is completely dead! It has the swollen capacitor problem on the main board. (BGLOD) It also, had a flashing light in the upper left quarter of the screen, and a few white "spots" or pinholes in the screen. (light engine)

Mitsubishi has proven to be the worst customer support that I have ever dealt with from ANY company. Their "best and only" offer was to LET me buy another one of their tv's at a discount. The discount was a joke, as I found the same price on line, and know that it could be bought cheaper at the employee price at a major electronic retailer. For a 2 year old tv with KNOWN defective technology, the only acceptable solution is a no cost replacement.

If all of us owners of these junk Mitsubishi tv's join together, like the owners of the Sony's with the optical block problem did, then we can get them to step up and do the right thing. Right now they still deny knowing of any defect in their tv's despite the thousands of posts on various forums about it.

Many people are considering class action lawsuits against them.

There is now a Facebook page called "I Have A Defective Mitsubishi TV" The more people who join this the better, the same way the Sony page did. It forced Sony to respond positivly to the people who were on the page, and they even have a special team that monitors the page, and responds to the people on there. I had one of the defective Sony's also, and thanks to the facebook page I now have a FREE Sony KDL-52EX700!

I urge evryone to join the face book page and post your experience. If you have misgivings about joining facebook, so did I, but you can hide your info if you want to.

You can also email their customer support at: mdeaservice@mdea.com
Tell them about your tv, and that you have been reading on the forums about other owners of these known defects.

You can also call this # 1-800-332-2119 and when the menu voice starts, press 8.

This will get you through to a higher level of customer service, that they don't seem to want the general public to know about. Tell them Kevin sent you!

Either way, don't let them win! Let them know that you expect them to step up and provide FREE replacements for your tv's! And again, consider joining the facebook page and posting also, it can help.

This kind of thing makes me very thankful that I purchased an extended warranty. I would have been highly pissed if this occurred after my warranty went out. I just started a new thread, not knowing this one existed.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1279537

The link includes pics of my "white dots", which started as one yesterday and is now two as of today. My question involves what I am reading about the Samsung issues. They have extended their customers free repairs of a "chip" that I guess went bad.

Are the white dots a light engine problem or just a chip problem. I am wondering if issues involve just white dots...if owners could repair their sets themselves - like the Samsung owners. However, obviously, Kevin, your set seems completely gone.

a really big HDTV,
a really fast computer with blu-ray burner,
a really nice HD camcorder...
and no software to burn blu-ray
post #5 of 240 Old 09-27-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:

I don't really know anything about the samsungs, but I believe the white dots on the Mitsubishis are caused by a bad light engine

Thats what I have been able to dig up as well...I did find a link somewhere that has instructions on how to change it. But like I said if you can find one to buy, they are around $450.00.
post #6 of 240 Old 09-27-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:

I don't really know anything about the samsungs, but I believe the white dots on the Mitsubishis are caused by a bad light engine

What?! No offense but there are thread everywhere about this issue with Samsung. Look closely and I am providing you with this link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1107926

With the Samsungs, it seems to be widespread in I think 2006 models. They are replacing a "DMD board", which from reading, seems relatively simple.

a really big HDTV,
post #7 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:

No offense taken. The reason I said I didn't know about the Samsungs is because I've never owned one, so I have no reason to know about them.
I have heard of the problem, just never read about it.

Well, if Samsung owners followed a certain protocol to get their sets taken care of, I'd say we need to do the same, although I'm sittin' pretty right now because of my extended warranty.

And it seems to me, while I read posts from Samsung owners, it was not easy going at first. Samsung denied, denied, denied, until the BBB and other institutions got involved.

a really big HDTV,
post #8 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Have any of the 2010 73 and 82 inch sets shown to be defective? How widespread are these defects in general? And any feedback on Laservues?

Thanks,
taichi4
post #9 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

My 73-838 died after four weeks (no, not the bulb). Fortunately UE replaced it with a brand new one. The new one is beginning to act up...yesterday it shuts itself off.
post #10 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumi_9 View Post

My 73-838 died after four weeks (no, not the bulb). Fortunately UE replaced it with a brand new one. The new one is beginning to act up...yesterday it shuts itself off.

Yow! That's the set I'm interested in.

taichi4
post #11 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Craptacular! I was going to buy that exact same set too in a few months. This whole thread has me thinking twice about DLP now.
post #12 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Their customer service is the worst I have ever seen from any company. If you can find another brand that has a set that you like, I would suggest staying away from Mitsubishi.
They have definately lost me and my family, (and a lot of others) forever.
NO Mitsubishi products, including Nikon and NEC, will be bought again.

Nikon, though part of the Mitsubishi Group, nevertheless is considered one of the most reliable DSLR brands. There was a PC Mag review of DSLR reliability in 2007 that pointed that out.

Different companies within the Mits Group may have completely different strategies, different tech and customer support...in other words, autonomy.

But if you are philosophically against supporting the Mits Group, I can appreciate that.

Because of many factors I'm still considering a 73838 with an extended warranty, but doubts have crept in with this thread.

Holding Mits accountable is a great idea.

taichi4
post #13 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"died after four weeks"

Mine four weeks and 2 days and UE did nothing. Didn't even bother calling me back. I'm not happy with UE at Arrowhead. I've bought a lot of stuff there and it very well could be I'd still be having a service call but to not be called back? That is unacceptable.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #14 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 10:44 AM

Just to update, I have a tech coming tomorrow in the afternoon to check my set for white dots. Thankfully my extended warranty through the company handling Circuit City's lasts until next August. I will post EVERYTHING that occurs, including any advice from the tech.

I am going to push for a completely new light engine. However, Samsung people seemed pretty satisfied with a new "DMD" chip or DLP chip. I am nervous though with that move as replacing such a piece of hardware in the bigger scheme of things, doesn't make sense. It would be much easier to just slide out the whole light engine and slide a new one in rather than take the engine apart to just get to a piece that has a monetary value half of the whole apparatus. From my understanding the DMD chip should be around 200 - 250 and the light engine itself is about 450. I will push to replace the whole thing rather than being in danger of the DMD chip being put in incorrectly and breaking down later on. One thing I have read from Samsung people is that the DMD is held in place by some cheap adhesive, at least in Samsungs, and that is what is causing the failure. The heat is breaking down the soldering bonds and the chip is breaking down.

All this said, I am not sure how similar Samsung DLP sets are to Mitsubishi sets. If they are, then the directions to replace the DMD chips in Mits sets (if they have them) should be the same.

Does anyone know how similar these sets are?

a really big HDTV,
post #15 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

"died after four weeks"

Mine four weeks and 2 days and UE did nothing. Didn't even bother calling me back. I'm not happy with UE at Arrowhead. I've bought a lot of stuff there and it very well could be I'd still be having a service call but to not be called back? That is unacceptable.

You should talk to the manager of the store you bought it from. If it helps let thme know that the store in Chandler had no problems replacing the unit with a brand new one within 24 hours!!!
post #16 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:

My 73838 has been working great going on 2 months now. Question, how is the temp in the area you have your 73838. The manual clearly states that once a specific temp is hit the 73838 will shut itself down. If UE sent you a new replacement 73838, then getting two bad ones is amazingly bad luck. Thus air flow and heat could be your issue, since the TV is designed to shut down if it's too hot etc. Just a thought, as I have not really heard of any real issues with the 73838-82838 series. Obviously with electronics there will always be a few bad apples so a fews sets could be crappy.

- The Sleeper has awaken -

Mitsubishi 73838
Panasonic DMP-BDT210
post #17 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohype View Post

My 73838 has been working great going on 2 months now. Question, how is the temp in the area you have your 73838. The manual clearly states that once a specific temp is hit the 73838 will shut itself down. If UE sent you a new replacement 73838, then getting two bad ones is amazingly bad luck. Thus air flow and heat could be your issue, since the TV is designed to shut down if it's too hot etc. Just a thought, as I have not really heard of any real issues with the 73838-82838 series. Obviously with electronics there will always be a few bad apples so a fews sets could be crappy.

That's a good point. I thought my laptop's display had stopped working until the tech cleaned out the dust covering the fans and motherboard. Electronics don't like heat, and like to shut themselves down. Just self-preservation.

taichi4
post #18 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Nothing to see here ... keep moving along people..

Actually if you buy a rear projector you need to understand they need plenty of cool air and you need to understand they break. If you are spending $1299 at Paul's TV for 73738, spend $200 more for a Mack extended warranty and the budget in a lamp at $119 and you know what your costs are for the next 36 months. After that 36 months is up replace the 73738 and put in a secondary role or give it to relative who does not watch much TV, in light duty they last pretty much forever.

The above is $1620 divided by 36 months gives you an amortized cost of $45 a month to watch a TV of the caliber. Come on folks, the only sad sob story is the people who let themselves fall out of warranty... that is a choice. Remember $200 divided by 36 is $5.50 a month to stay out the white dots predicament.

If you think you won't get other manufacturers stuff that is dead out of the box, then you don't buy much. The only issue you ever really have to worry about is down time. If down time is problem, then you are not creating a big enough fuss!

That in a nutshell is the whole story...

Now if you spend more on the TV the amortized cost over 36 months goes up. The set will be obsolete in 36 months anyway. The days of buying a display and using it for 12 years are over, get over it.

Just another blank signature.
post #19 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Actually if you buy a rear projector you need to understand they need plenty of cool air and you need to understand they break. If you are spending $1299 at Paul's TV for 73738, spend $200 more for a Mack extended warranty and the budget in a lamp at $119 and you know what your costs are for the next 36 months. After that 36 months is up replace the 73738 and put in a secondary role or give it to relative who does not watch much TV, in light duty they last pretty much forever.

The above is $1620 divided by 36 months gives you an amortized cost of $45 a month to watch a TV of the caliber. Come on folks, the only sad sob story is the people who let themselves fall out of warranty... that is a choice. Remember $200 divided by 36 is $5.50 a month to stay out the white dots predicament.

If you think you won't get other manufacturers stuff that is dead out of the box, then you don't buy much. The only issue you ever really have to worry about is down time. If down time is problem, then you are not creating a big enough fuss!

Now if you spend more on the TV the amortized cost over 36 months goes up. The set will be obsolete in 36 months anyway. The days of buying a display and using it for 12 years are over, get over it.

Oh did I say they need air, plenty of air.. don't stick in a console or flush against the wall... they may not shut down because they hit the temp limiter but they are cooking inside and aging way faster than they should. Half of DLP Rear Projector failures, at least half are heat related.

post #20 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So according to you, it's ok to spend 2K on a tv that lasts only 2 years (to the month) with light use?

We're not quite at that level of a throwaway society yet, but that is exactly the same attitude that Mitsubishi has!

Just how may versions of HDMI have we seen in the last 4 years? What is the price drop per year on a percentage basis for equivalent or better displays.

I did the amortization for you in my example. How much money do you spend on wireless services? Or anyone, talk about throwing money away. The real question is why people don't spend $5.50 a month to assure they don't get stuck with big pile of not working dung.

If you recall what I said was to buy an extended warranty. That you did not or somebody did not do so means you or they probably made some evaluation of risk. Mits and everyone else can't endlessly drive the price down and the performance up and take care of everybody once the warranty is long over. I watched over the years at HP the average selling price go down year after year. The base warranties went from 3 years down to a year. Basically the moved to a model aimed at selling extended warranites to those who would pay for one. For those who wanted the most machine for the least buck it was the way to go. HP sold more machines and they sold more extended warranties.. It was basically a choice thing. Now I wold have no problem buying a $600 PC and not buying and extended warranty.. if it went belly up in two years oh well. You pays money and you takes your chances. I bet that way and lost recently.

On a rear projection TV much over a grand, the risks are too high and the warranties are too cheap.

A $300 or less warranty covers the set for 5 years. I just used 36 months because the tyical extended warranty base level is 36 months and we will be seeing HDMI 2.xxx by then and probably 4K pixel displays. Good luck everyone but you must realize that $2k spent for 2010 display is only a $1k class display or the equivalent 36 months from now.

post #21 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Well the god of tv's has spoken everybody!

I don't know what I was thinking...I should always expect a product to fail after 20 months!

So I guess when my car hits the 3yr/36000 mile warranty I guess I'll just tow it to the salvage and go buy a new one.

Well some evidently don't have the bank account you do and can't just go buy a new tv every few years and expect one to last a little longer, this isn't 1950.
post #22 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohype View Post

Well, since you ask...the outside temperature has been in the triple digits for several months now. We have hit records high for the last few days. Still close to 105F. Way too hot indeed.
What the hell does this have to do with my TV set which is placed inside my living room controlled at a constant temp of 78F? Come on guys.
post #23 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, since you ask...the outside temperature has been in the triple digits for several months now. We have hit records high for the last few days. Still close to 105F. Way too hot indeed.
What the hell does this have to do with my TV set which is placed inside my living room controlled at a constant temp of 78F? Come on guys.

You may well be right about your TV being problematic.

Sometimes, though, it isn't the ambient temperature of the room, but rather if a unit is too close to a wall, lack of ventilation might force the temp inside the unit to rise. That would be good news for you since it's easily remedied.

I was genuinely surprised when ventilation robbing dust shut my Thinkpad down

Anyway, I hope you get your problem worked out.

taichi4
post #24 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:

If heat is not able to be dissipated, it can cause catastrophic failure in ANY electronic equipment. If the fan is a few inches away from a wall, the heat is not able to escape as easily. I was blown away at how hot the lamp compartment gets. Like I said, the heat MUST escape. Micrsoft sells exhaust fans specifically for X-Box that help dissipate heat. Many Playstations have burnt up because some teenie bopper has their PS3 in a 2 x 2 area. These new TV sets work along the same lines.

a really big HDTV,
post #25 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Now if you spend more on the TV the amortized cost over 36 months goes up. The set will be obsolete in 36 months anyway. The days of buying a display and using it for 12 years are over, get over it...

CONTINUED:

...Just how may versions of HDMI have we seen in the last 4 years? What is the price drop per year on a percentage basis for equivalent or better displays.

I did the amortization for you in my example. How much money do you spend on wireless services? Or anyone, talk about throwing money away. The real question is why people don't spend $5.50 a month to assure they don't get stuck with big pile of not working dung.

If you recall what I said was to buy an extended warranty. That you did not or somebody did not do so means you or they probably made some evaluation of risk. Mits and everyone else can't endlessly drive the price down and the performance up and take care of everybody once the warranty is long over. I watched over the years at HP the average selling price go down year after year. The base warranties went from 3 years down to a year. Basically the moved to a model aimed at selling extended warranites to those who would pay for one. For those who wanted the most machine for the least buck it was the way to go. HP sold more machines and they sold more extended warranties.. It was basically a choice thing. Now I wold have no problem buying a $600 PC and not buying and extended warranty.. if it went belly up in two years oh well. You pays money and you takes your chances. I bet that way and lost recently.

On a rear projection TV much over a grand, the risks are too high and the warranties are too cheap.

A $300 or less warranty covers the set for 5 years. I just used 36 months because the tyical extended warranty base level is 36 months and we will be seeing HDMI 2.xxx by then and probably 4K pixel displays. Good luck everyone but you must realize that $2k spent for 2010 display is only a $1k class display or the equivalent 36 months from now.

We think alike, however, I think we must keep things relative here. In the past, T.V.'s have not been like computers. They do not go obsolete in a year or two or even five or ten years. I admit, this new generation of hi-def t.v.'s have come a long way, but still, a 720p monster set from about 10 years ago would still perform well today...if the set still works. Computers will NOT work 10 years, even 5 years, down the road. They go obsolete and we expect that when we buy computers...NOT t.v.'s.

Of course, I am not totally disagreeing with you. If I had the money I would go out and buy another 73" tv, hopefully 3D, and not think twice about it. However, I am POOR, partly because I buy too much electronics. I want my t.v. to last for 10 years. That would make me happy. It has only been about 3 years. That's not what I want. I dont think t.v. manufacturers should be producing t.v.s that only last for a few years. We are not ready to treat t.v.'s like computers.

a really big HDTV,
post #26 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:

What makes it even worse is when a manufacturer, even in the face of overwhelming evidence, dnies that they have a known problem. According to Mitsubishi, the white spots and BGLOD, are rare, and not a known defect! BULL!

I am going to ask the tech. tomorrow how much he runs into this. Hopefully, I get an honest answer.

Of course, he's probably reading this right now!

a really big HDTV,
post #27 of 240 Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:

I'm starting this thread so that we can have all the info about these defective Mitsubishi tv's in one spot. Mine is the WD-65833, and is only 2 years old, and is completely dead! It has the swollen capacitor problem on the main board. (BGLOD) It also, had a flashing light in the upper left quarter of the screen, and a few white "spots" or pinholes in the screen. (light engine)

Mitsubishi has proven to be the worst customer support that I have ever dealt with from ANY company. Their "best and only" offer was to LET me buy another one of their tv's at a discount. The discount was a joke, as I found the same price on line, and know that it could be bought cheaper at the employee price at a major electronic retailer. For a 2 year old tv with KNOWN defective technology, the only acceptable solution is a no cost replacement.

If all of us owners of these junk Mitsubishi tv's join together, like the owners of the Sony's with the optical block problem did, then we can get them to step up and do the right thing. Right now they still deny knowing of any defect in their tv's despite the thousands of posts on various forums about it.

Many people are considering class action lawsuits against them.

There is now a Facebook page called "I Have A Defective Mitsubishi TV" The more people who join this the better, the same way the Sony page did. It forced Sony to respond positivly to the people who were on the page, and they even have a special team that monitors the page, and responds to the people on there. I had one of the defective Sony's also, and thanks to the facebook page I now have a FREE Sony KDL-52EX700!

I urge evryone to join the face book page and post your experience. If you have misgivings about joining facebook, so did I, but you can hide your info if you want to.

You can also email their customer support at: mdeaservice@mdea.com
Tell them about your tv, and that you have been reading on the forums about other owners of these known defects.

You can also call this # 1-800-332-2119 and when the menu voice starts, press 8.

This will get you through to a higher level of customer service, that they don't seem to want the general public to know about. Tell them Kevin sent you!

Either way, don't let them win! Let them know that you expect them to step up and provide FREE replacements for your tv's! And again, consider joining the facebook page and posting also, it can help.

It took me 8 months, 3 service calls, and UE getting involved to get my 2009 73 inch replaced for geometry issues. They replaced it with a 73838 which still has a couple of geometry issues, but is much better. I think with the size of the screen it is difficult to get perfect geometry. I can't count the number of times customer service told me they would call me back in 24-48 hours and a week later I had not heard from them. Every call was made from me to them. I think I finally wore them down and they replaced the tv.
post #28 of 240 Old 09-29-2010, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwd View Post

I am going to ask the tech. tomorrow how much he runs into this. Hopefully, I get an honest answer.

Of course, he's probably reading this right now!

I spoke to a tech today. He said the biggest quality issues seem to be with Samsung.. now it could just be that Samsung sells 50x the number of sets of everybody else. He said what he had been seeing was lots of blown capacitiors.. This is an issue that PC makers have struggled with for years.

post #29 of 240 Old 09-29-2010, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwd View Post

. We are not ready to treat t.v.'s like computers.

Well you better make the mental adjust and get ready as they move the price curve down and the features sets change drastically each year.. they are much more computers now than ever. Have you actually paid attention to the applications that come on many new TVs.. Dlps really are computers, more than anything else.. You can use keyboards with TVs some now and probably more soon. They will have full blown browsers on board by next year. Have you ever heard of convergence?

post #30 of 240 Old 09-29-2010, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Indeed, what the hell DOES the outside temp have to do with anything? You're the one who brought it up. He asked you what the temp was in the area where your TV is, not your part of the world. Might help if you read the post before going off on it. Your living room might be 78 where you sit, but what is it where the TV is? If it doesn't have room for good ventilation, it can be much hotter in the areas where the air gets sucked back into the cabinet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page